• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii Game Announcement Coming (if it isn't NiGHTS, ONM gets banned)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kulock said:
Probably just a note in the Operating Guide you can access in the Home Menu. Failing that, editing text in an NES game isn't unheard of, Nintendo did it for the Zelda Collector's Disc to fix "Gannon" to "Ganon," change references to buttons in Ocarina of Time, etc.
True...

Nintendo probably still has the source code to star-tropics lying around somewhere, so they could easily change that part of the game to anything..... they could give you the number, they could give a hint ("A jet" or something like that)...

Hell, they could have a new screen become unlocked on the Operating Guide once you reached that part of the game :lol

Vieo

MasterMFauli said:
What is Startropics? Sounds like a lame shooter like Parodius/Graduis. :-/

BLASPHEMY!

Question: What do you get when you combine old skool Zelda's top-down adventure style gameplay with platforming and Castlevania-like elements?

ANSWER:

stbox.jpg

star2.gif

6c_1.jpg

startropics2-nomoney.gif

http://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/st_over.mid

edit: Might as well add..

zr_box.jpg

MasterMFauli said:
Naja, klingt nicht übel. Mal gucken.

Anyway, ok, but why such a name? Startropics really sounds rather like a simple shoot´em up than a Action-RPG with a, supposely, good story?

Startropics! A name full of awe and wonder!

Stars! The shining lights far above us, glistening in the warm tropical night! Different stars, different constellations shining down on us. The Southern Cross!

Tropics! A different region of Earth, defined by average temperature and climate! Jungles and beaches and coconut-clad women! Hidden island bays, so tempting!

Not simple, but intricate, the stars shining over the blessed lands of the southern hemisphere.

Startropics! Startropics! Startropics!

What a name, what a game!

Well, I've compiled all the "evidence" into one post. >_>

1) One of the interview answers from the Alien Syndrome team in Nintendo Power:

Nintendo Power said:
NP: What led to the decision to revive this particular franchise after such a long absence?
AA: Sega, right now, is reviving a lot of the old franchises. After Burner's coming out, Golden Axe, a few others I can't tell you about. Totally Games wanted to do something that was a shooter, arcade-style game, and this was the game that they came to us with. Going through a lot of iterations, the RPG aspect came up, and then when Totally Games found out about the Wii, they were totally excited about it. And here we are. It was the combination of a frnachise, a gameplay idea, and a console. They all work together.

2) A member of Sonic team saying that Sega is working on a surprise title.

3) A member of the kikizo.com staff claiming that NiGHTS is on 2007 internal schedules for Wii.
http://forums.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=9...single&tmode=&smode=&s=&cookieCheck=985006301
Adam Doree said:
Second, I *know* NiGHTS for Wii is on internal schedules for 2007 but we decided not to do a big story about it since we can't prove it (look where it got us last time). So it may or may not be NiGHTS Wii that they are referring to, but Sonic Team is definitely working on it.

4) The rumor that a Digipen student somehow came along information that Saturn games will soon be sold on the virtual console.

rumorreporter said:
The rumor comes from fellow reader Fei34 who claims that a fellow DigiPen employee told him that Sega Saturn games would indeed be making an appearance on the Wii. Although this could still be wells away from becoming true, the fact that DigiPen, a highly respected video-game school in Redmond Washington, has this sort of knowledge is pretty intriguing. Especially by the fact that both Nintendo of America’s offices and DigiPen’s campus actually interconnects by a simple hallway. Could Fei34’s DigiPen source have even closer access to NOA’s employees in which he/she may have gotten the information?

The only thing that Fei34 left me was a confirmation that a “big game was coming.” Whether that’s a Sega Saturn game (like Panzer Dragoon Saga) or not, only time will tell. So don’t dismiss Nintendo’s systems on the Virtual Console as being cemented just yet.

5)
wikipedia said:
Naka has stated that the Wii is the "perfect console" for a NiGHTS sequel, if such a game was ever developed.

6) A recent poll conducted by Sega of America at Sega.com asked "Which game franchise would you like to see make a return?" It listed Nights, Streets of Rage, Samba de Amigo, Virtua Cop, and Flicky. NiGHTS recieved over 50% of the votes. You might remember that Sega also posted a poll asking which Sonic character should have a spinoff. Shadow won by a fairly large margin, and was given his own game.

7) In the June 2006 EGM rumor mill, they claim that Sega is working on a NiGHTS sequel, and that it is due to be released in 2008.

8) S***g has "confirmed" a NiGHTS sequel for Wii. >_> While any "confirmations" from S***g should be taken with a few tons of salt... who know... maybe they really do know?(lol)
http://news.*****.com/article/12086

9) Gamespot's stance on the rumor is that it is "not bogus".
Gamespot said:
The aligning of the stars in the Official Nintendo Magazine teaser page is plenty convincing, and combined with the mag's insistence that it isn't an April Fools' Day joke and Sega's silence on the issue, we're going to go with the rumor on this one. The only questions are whether we're looking at a remake, a sequel, or a port and in which format it will be released.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...ct=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

10) ******* claims that an undisclosed source knows a product manager from Sega of Europe, and he was told that NiGHTS Wii has been in development for months already.

http://www.*******.com/2007/03/19/onm-says-world-exclusive-not-april-fools-prank/

While wild rumors are being thrown around, a source of ours in the U.K., heard from a product manager at Sega Europe, that NiGHTS Wii has been in development for six months already and that the recent Sega poll was designed to reassure Sega that its decision to resurrect NiGHTS is shrewd.

11) nightsintodreams.com, a NiGHTS fansite, also claims to have a source who has given them information on the supposed game.

nightsintodreams said:
Well, I'd be lying if i was to say i know nothing about NiGHTS (2). As a matter of fact we've been pretty well informed for about half a year now on a lot of juicy (and not so juicy) details. But as admin of the fanbase i felt i had to keep my mouth shut to protect the game so early in its production. This is no net rumor. It's real. Which is why i've been trying to get people to give their opinions to Sega for the past few months. If you did, thanks, if you didn't, well...

Many months have passed since the last E3 and the generic gaming media is all over NiGHTS 2 rumors like i dunno what, this week in particular after ONM's world exclusive teaser here in the UK and *****'s 'CONFIRMED' news yesterday morning. Speaking of which DiGi bought me a clear scan of ONM on Tuesday, check it out in the ARTiCLES/News section. This is no April Fools hoax, let that be clear. And if it is then it doesn't really matter as there are NiGHTS games in production. So rather than sit back and play dumb i think as loyal fans of 11 damn years you deserve the truth. And i want to be the one to give it to you straight at the heart of the fanbase.

Yes NiGHTS 2 is happening. Yes it's real. And yes i knew a lot about it months ago. But i will respect ONM's World Exclusive and refrain from giving away game/character details or the games title. I find it exciting yet also find it slightly worrying. Visitors to the old forums will recall the sequel topics. I'll say no more.
http://www.nightsintodreams.com/NiD/index.htm

12) And finally, the arrangement of stars that almost perfectly matches the NiGHTS logo.
ItsNights.jpg

ItsNights2.jpg

The text that accompanies the preview reads: "Step back in time as a classic game makes a long overdue return! Only in next month's Official Nintendo Magazine"

Ngamer has announced an exclusive as well, with a similar "hint" (both have starry outer space backdrops).
dsc00961qp2fw9.jpg

It looks like there's a sillhouette or something on the surface of the planet, but I don't think there are any higher-res scans... maybe it's just my imagination though... also...
Planet----->Saturn
:O :O :O...
>_>

adg1034

Wait a second- ONM shouldn't be banned if it's not NiGHTS. ONM has not said anything on the subject, there's only a picture of stars on the preview for next month, and we've been the ones making the NiGHTS connection and hyping this. It's not their fault if we're wrong.

vasuba

Banned
adg1034 said:
Wait a second- ONM shouldn't be banned if it's not NiGHTS. ONM has not said anything on the subject, there's only a picture of stars on the preview for next month, and we've been the ones making the NiGHTS connection and hyping this. It's not their fault if we're wrong.

ONM staff has posted here and hasnt denied nights so its kinda on their head. they could easily come out and say its not nights but keep trying to figure it out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Even though SATSR is better than Sonic 360, I think I'd be disappointed if we got "that level of quality" for Nights 2. They absolutely need to NAIL nights...like 9/10 or better. It is one of the most magical and smooth properties in gaming. The simulation of flying is unmatched, IMO. It is on rails though.

Someone suggested a new Ristar to me. I think it's not a bad idea. It'd work like the pointing segments of Mario Galaxy. You have stars in the picture...and stars in the other picture.

ethelred

adg1034 said:

Um... they used a star diagram of the NiGHTS cover while promising the return of an old classic. It's not like people are pulling stuff out of thin air here. They did it with the words "WORLD EXCLUSIVE," which is pretty much hyping an announcement.

If they don't deliver this time, then yes, they should be banned completely from civilised discourse.

omg rite said:
BTW, I don't wanna.. you know, get anyone's hopes up or anything but uhm..

Sonic Team didn't make Sonic 360/PS3. Or Secret Rings, actually.

omg rite said:
You could have replied simply with "No", instead of being wrong yourself.

That wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Even though SATSR is better than Sonic 360, I think I'd be disappointed if we got "that level of quality" for Nights 2. They absolutely need to NAIL nights...like 9/10 or better. It is one of the most magical and smooth properties in gaming. The simulation of flying is unmatched, IMO. It is on rails though.

Agreed. If they are making NiGHTS 2, they need to get it absolutely right, because NiGHTS WAS truly a revolutionary experience -- it was the flagship game of one of Sega's best consoles, and they can't drop the ball on this.

I do think they still have the capability to do that, despite a lot of their recent stuff. Yeah, they took some hits in transitioning their main franchise (Sonic) from 2D to 3D, but NiGHTS is already 3D and the gameplay that they perfected in the original already lends itself ideally to what the Wii and its controller offers.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Someone suggested a new Ristar to me. I think it's not a bad idea. It'd work like the pointing segments of Mario Galaxy. You have stars in the picture...and stars in the other picture.

Well, this announcement needs to be NiGHTS, and there's no excuse for anything else. That said, I'd love a new Ristar game as well, too.

I'd love to see a lot of Sega's classic franchises returning, but the company absolutely has to stop licensing them out to shitty western third party developrs.

ethelred said:
Agreed. If they are making NiGHTS 2, they need to get it absolutely right, because NiGHTS WAS truly a revolutionary experience -- it was the flagship game of one of Sega's best consoles, and they can't drop the ball on this.

Sega not drop the ball? I love(d) Sega but I dont think I can trust them making NiGHTS 2 even close to being as magical as the original.

ethelred

BrandNew said:
Why would Sonic Team do it, though? Isn't that all Yuji Naka's business, NiGHTS that is?

I could easily see something like a collaboration between Sonic Team of Japan and Naka's Prope studio.

RiZ III

In all my graphics whoredom I will say the following:

I'd much rather see NiGHTS on PS3 or 360. Hi-Res, ton of effects, and really fricken pretty.

::eek:mg run::

RiZ III said:

I'd much rather see NiGHTS on PS3 or 360. Hi-Res, ton of effects, and really fricken pretty.

I'd much rather see Heavenly Sword on Wii. Think of all the possibilities with the waggle!!1

RiZ III said:

Because it can't have tons of effects and be really pretty on the Wii.

Some people...Luke Smith what have you done?

Grecco

RiZ III said:

Wii has no Third Party Games Lawl

then When the Wii gets a legitimate Third Party Game

Id rather see it on 360, Two Gamecubes ducted taped together Lawl.

Sigh. Nintendo wont win with some fans. Damned if you do damned if you dont

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Ristar sequel in 2.5d klonoa style will be the hottest thing ever.

Squeak

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Only way Saturn goes to VC is if they start supporting USB storage directly.
I don't think NiGHTS would take up more than 30 to 50Mb tops with modern compression techniques. Not much more than N64 games like Oot in other words.

Linkup

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Only way Saturn goes to VC is if they start supporting USB storage directly.

Pretty much, most of the good stuff is over 400mb and they aren't going to put in the work to get them small enough for VC.

TheGreatDave said:
NGamer is 28th March, although subscribers usually get it slightly earlier.

We may know as soon as the 23rd of march, maybe.

I don't get how your going to ban ONM, unless gaf has ties with the british gov or something.

Vieo said:
BLASPHEMY!

Question: What do you get when you combine old skool Zelda's top-down adventure style gameplay with platforming and Castlevania-like elements?

ANSWER: Startropics

Startropics is one of the best NES games, it needs more respect.

Mar

RiZ III said:

you.gif

Kafel

Banned
Erm.

EGM is supposed to reveal secret games for the Wii in its next issue, someone has read that ?

( Go Nintendo )

Top Bottom