• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

Tom Penny

There's no denying anything. Our defense was terrible. If it had played even remotely average, it would have maintained a 28 point lead. It didn't.

If you want to reduce the argument to the most absurd level then, YES, every game is fundamentally about who has the most points when time runs out. Time was a factor. Congratulations on understanding the basic concept of a timed sporting event?

Coaching 101 is definitely to speed up the game when you team is decimated with injuries and couldn't stop anyone amirite? Keep the D on the field as long and as many times as possible when they suck. Clever plan.

You play ball control to mitigate the terribleness of the defense. Your defense can't stop their O? Keep their offense off the field by sustaining long drives that eat up clock with your own offense. You don't do that by putting the ball in the air a bunch of times.

I'm not saying that your defense wasn't super garbo, mind you, they were and their collapse was the primary reason for the loss, but Reid's time management didn't help matters. His run-pass distribution didn't reflect someone coaching with an almost 30 point lead in the second half.

Pretty much and this is something Reid did for years in philly, terrible clock management, If he manages to eat another 6-7 mins and removes one or two possessions from the colts they win. The D sucks? Keep it off the field.

You play ball control to mitigate the terribleness of the defense. Your defense can't stop their O? Keep their offense off the field by sustaining long drives that eat up clock with your own offense. You don't do that by putting the ball in the air a bunch of times.

I'm not saying that your defense wasn't super garbo, mind you, they were and their collapse was the primary reason for the loss, but Reid's time management didn't help matters. His run-pass distribution didn't reflect someone coaching with an almost 30 point lead in the second half.

Jamaal Charles was out the entire game. Knile Davis missed the bulk of the fourth quarter with a knee injury. Our running options were: Anthony Sherman, who had two carries all season (for a Trent Truckesque 1.5 yard per carry) or Cyrus Gray, who had nine carries all season (averaging 2.7 yards per carry).

We could have run the ball every down of the third and fourth quarter and still lost that game. But you guys want to say Reid was the reason we lost so go for it. That's making mountains out of mole hills when our offense played very well considering the injuries and our defense played historically bad (also dealt with two key injuries).

Jamaal Charles was out the entire game. Knile Davis missed the bulk of the fourth quarter with a knee injury. Our running options were: Anthony Sherman, who had two carries all season (for a Trent Truckesque 1.5 yard per carry) or Cyrus Gray, who had nine carries all season (averaging 2.7 yards per carry).

We could have run the ball every down of the third and fourth quarter and still lost that game. But you guys want to say Reid was the reason we lost so go for it. That's making mountains out of mole hills when our offense played very well considering the injuries and our defense played historically bad (also dealt with two key injuries).

It took the Colts 6 2nd half possessions to take the lead, if the Chiefs could have eliminated just 1 of those possessions they would have won. Ultimately you are right that the defense failed and cost them the game but the playcalling didnt do the defense any favors.

Reid wasn't the only or biggest reason you lost, yes your D collapsed and had very bad key injuries but Reid absolutely needed to run that clock out as fast as possible and failed to even attempt it. You had shit options for back ups on both offense and defense, if you manage to keep the offense on the field you win the game.

Grover Cleveland said:

Bread

Banned
The Chiefs completely choked the second half away, offensively and defensively. You gotta put a lot of the blame on the coaching staff for that.

It took the Colts 6 2nd half possessions to take the lead, if the Chiefs could have eliminated just 1 of those possessions they would have won. Ultimately you are right that the defense failed and cost them the game but the playcalling didnt do the defense any favors.

Reid wasn't the only or biggest reason you lost, yes your D collapsed and had very bad key injuries but Reid absolutely needed to run that clock out as fast as possible and failed to even attempt it. You had shit options for back ups on both offense and defense, if you manage to keep the offense on the field you win the game.

And if Luck didn't recover a goal line fumble and run it in for a touchdown we would've won. And if Jamaal Charles stayed on the field we would have won. And if Alex Smith didn't make that one overthrow in the fourth we would've won. Hypotheticals are fun.

How about this hypothetical? If the Chiefs defense could have stopped the Colts on ONE second half possession, we would've won the game. Two would've been a wrap. That seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for a playoff team to accomplish. Getting scored on in every possession is ludicrous.

The three worst players on the Chiefs roster are, in no particular order: Kendrick Lewis, Dunta Robinson, and Marcus Cooper. They are our secondary and they are hot garbage. Andrew Luck picked them apart like swiss cheese. I'd be surprised if all three are starting on this team next season.

And if Luck didn't recover a goal line fumble and run it in for a touchdown we would've won. And if Jamaal Charles stayed on the field we would have won. And if Alex Smith didn't make that one overthrow in the fourth we would've won. Hypotheticals are fun.

How about this hypothetical? If the Chiefs defense could have stopped the Colts on ONE second half possession, we would've won the game. Two would've been a wrap. That seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for a playoff team to accomplish. Getting scored on in every possession is ludicrous.

The three worst players on the Chiefs roster are, in no particular order: Kendrick Lewis, Dunta Robinson, and Marcus Cooper. They are our secondary and they are hot garbage. Andrew Luck picked them apart like swiss cheese. I'd be surprised if all three are starting on this team next season.

The Chiefs did stop the Colts twice in the 2nd half. Luck was picked off twice in the 2nd half. The Colts scored TDs on 4 of 6 possessions.

andthebeatgoeson

Do you think Reid is even self aware or oblivious? Is this shit intentional and he's just committed to throwing? He defaults to throwing so easily. Charles didn't get that good by himself. They could have come up with some plays to run out the clock. I yes he never game plans. I wonder if he'll ever have success. He has the same flaws as before. Maybe his drafting will be better.

But as a coach you need to make the adjustments in play calling depending on what's going on in the game....Winning by a ton and colts are coming back? Pound that fucken ball like your life depends on it and that's on the coach. It's basic clock/play management that Reid fails at over and over again.

jakncoke

Banned
At what point do all these alt accounts result in stricter joining rules? My God, I've had questionable bannings myself but I never wussed out and created an alt.

How much more strict can they get? have to use a isp, workplace, school email and be apart of a join queue. Incoming photo id proof before joining?

squicken

You guys keep saying pound the rock, he's trying to tell you that they could not run the ball. The RBs on hand probably didn't know all the plays. Do you trust a guy who hasn't played all year not to fumble? I agree with TC on this.

I think the optimal strategy is to keep the foot on the gas and hope you can score enough to keep your shit defense afloat. Sadly, KC's defense was historically Oilers awful. It's just bad luck, bad talent and a really good player picking them apart. I mean EVERY bit of good luck went the Colts way in that half. Sometimes God hates you

squicken

Congrats Phins bros

I'm out on JFF. Using Lebron's HS friend as his marketing agent. can care about your brand and win in basketball when the most talented player ever. can't care about brand when he's undersized little QB. Full time job. Good job good effort at making everyone hate him

You guys keep saying pound the rock, he's trying to tell you that they could not run the ball. The RBs on hand probably didn't know all the plays. Do you trust a guy who hasn't played all year not to fumble? I agree with TC on this.

I think the optimal strategy is to keep the foot on the gas and hope you can score enough to keep your shit defense afloat. Sadly, KC's defense was historically Oilers awful. It's just bad luck, bad talent and a really good player picking them apart. I mean EVERY bit of good luck went the Colts way in that half. Sometimes God hates you

e: And I'm out on JFF. Using Lebron's HS friend as his marketing agent. can care about your brand and win in basketball when the most talented player ever. can't care about brand when he's undersized little QB. Full time job. Good job good effort at making everyone hate him

The defense back ups are getting burned by luck, shouldn't the offensive back ups get at least a chance to prove they can do it?

Ireland was to be stripped of ultimate power if he stayed so decided to leave instead...wth is ross thinking!?? Why not just clean house!?

wait...

@MoveTheSitcks: The Dolphins GM job is very attractive...A lot of top personnel execs were keeping a close eye on that situation.

This is a dream isn't it?! Who the hell would want to go there with an in place head coach and such a stupid owner?

Nightz

Maybe the Dolphins will consider AJ Smith.

Also, I attribute the Chargers run NOT to the Eagles curse, but the BOLO.

philip-rivers-bolo-tie-art-chargers.png

Ireland was to be stripped of ultimate power if he stayed so decided to leave instead...wth is ross thinking!?? Why not just clean house!?
Philbin is about to be promoted to head coach/offensive coordinator/GM.

Did I mention, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO O O O O O O

squicken

?

Strip him of power and force him to quit, I guess Ross didn't want to pay him not to work. Weird how owners get cheap on coaches and execs salaries but have no problems letting them keep their jobs where they give out 100s of millions in contracts

Strip him of power and force him to quit, I guess Ross didn't want to pay him not to work. Weird how owners get cheap on coaches and execs salaries but have no problems letting them keep their jobs where they give out 100s of millions in contracts

Word was Ross was waiting on the bully report to fire Ireland so he wouldn't have to pay him guess this way was cheap too

Top Bottom