• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Nightz

I only get 5-6 hours of sleep at night, definitely not enough. Dead tired everyday at work.

I did get 10 hours of sleep on Monday since I had a day off. Felt so good.

effzee said:
I don't mind if he isn't on the team, but considering our redzone troubles all these years (minus 2010-2011 during Vick's amazing run) it would be nice to finally have a huge target to throw the ball too.
You'd just hand off to the fullback three times in the red zone anyway.;)

bionic77

how the fuck you survive on 1.5 hours sleep? meth much? Now the crazy elk pic smile makes sense to me

I was getting only 2 to 3 hours for the first six months when my twins were born. And I still worked 8 to 10 hours a day and then came home and took care of one of the kids.

To be fair I found like absolute shit, But it is possible.

cajunator

Banned
I sleep at random times when I'm off work. when I''m on my work schedule I normally get home at 6 AM and sleep at 8 AM and normally wake up around 2 PM.
A lot of times though, I sleep a good deal right here on my computer keyboard.
Also my "commute" is about 15 minutes including traffic lights so that's negligible.

I bet the hope here is that IF no one else picks him up at the current market price (whatever that maybe for him) they would like to bring him in closer to training camp or start of the season.

Then again it could have been just a false rumor that never materializes. I don't mind if he isn't on the team, but considering our redzone troubles all these years (minus 2010-2011 during Vick's amazing run) it would be nice to finally have a huge target to throw the ball too.

This weeks Eagles Live they said that the Eagles contacted Plax's agent but th contract he wants is ridiculous. He would be a nice addition so maybe he comes down once he realizes there isnt much of a market for him.

Working from home, I was able to stay up late and still get in 7 hours of sleep at night. The commute being "walk down the stairs" really helped. Weekends I try to get at least 8.

Job might be changing though. Might need to head back to the office every day. I gotta train myself back to about 6 hours a night. I've tried it for the last week or so and literally zonked out after dinner a couple nights ago. Gotta scale it back slowly. The only time I get to play games is from around 11:30-1:00 at night.

I'd rather lose sleep than stop playing games.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Studies show that people who sleep between 6.5 hr. and 7.5 hr. a night, as they report, live the longest. And people who sleep 8 hr. or more, or less than 6.5 hr., they don't live quite as long. There is just as much risk associated with sleeping too long as with sleeping too short. The big surprise is that long sleep seems to start at 8 hr. Sleeping 8.5 hr. might really be a little worse than sleeping 5 hr.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1812420,00.html#ixzz1qQe4od76

from a Time magazine article. Night schedules suck cajun. Hopefully you don't have to do that too long.

bionic77 said:
I was getting only 2 to 3 hours for the first six months when my twins were born.
Why so little? Twins are understandably harder but did you and your wife do any scheduling/routine with them? Just curious.

For the first two months, I was getting about 6-7 a night at best in three hour intervals as Abby would wake up and want fed. She's nearly at the 3 month mark now and we have a set routine for her that we established very early on. Cuddling/playtime for about a half hour at 8pm, bath time at 8:30, feeding until 9pm and then she goes down for bed at 9:10-9:15.

She sleeps from then until about 7am these days. She occasionally wakes up at 1am or 3am for a feeding but it's a rarity anymore.

It is worth noting that my wife and I impose a very regimented schedule for our children and we're pretty inflexible about breaking it specifically because it makes it easier to get them to do what we need them to do.

I was getting only 2 to 3 hours for the first six months when my twins were born. And I still worked 8 to 10 hours a day and then came home and took care of one of the kids.

To be fair I found like absolute shit, But it is possible.
It's likely. I had days where I didn't sleep at all.

Sleeping through the night was the best present my daughter could give me back then.

Levyne

Banned
I usually sleep for 1-2 hours when I get home and then often stay up until 2 or 3 am. Then back to bed and wake up again at 9ish.

I need my sleep

Clarity on the Browns inquiring about Bradford:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/report-browns-inquired-about-sam-bradford/

Rams coach Jeff Fisher revealed at this week’s league meetings that St. Louis has received phone calls about the availability of quarterback Sam Bradford in a possible trade. Alper speculated this morning that the Cleveland Browns may have been one of the teams calling the Rams.

Per Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com, Alper’s speculation was dead on.

Citing multiple sources, Grossi reports that the Browns indeed made inquiries about Bradford, before unsuccessfully trying to trade up for the No. 2 spot in the draft.

The Browns’ overtures fell on deaf ears in St. Louis.

“Clubs inquired,” Fisher said. “But there was no consideration whatsoever on our part [to trade Bradford].”

Why so little? Twins are understandably harder but did you and your wife do any scheduling/routine with them? Just curious.

For the first two months, I was getting about 6-7 a night at best in three hour intervals as Abby would wake up and want fed. She's nearly at the 3 month mark now and we have a set routine for her that we established very early on. Cuddling/playtime for about a half hour at 8pm, bath time at 8:30, feeding until 9pm and then she goes down for bed at 9:10-9:15.

She sleeps from then until about 7am these days. She occasionally wakes up at 1am or 3am for a feeding but it's a rarity anymore.

It is worth noting that my wife and I impose a very regimented schedule for our children and we're pretty inflexible about breaking it specifically because it makes it easier to get them to do what we need them to do.

This. We did the same with our kids. My firstborn had colic though, so it took him about 4 months before he was sleeping through the night. My younger son was sleeping 8-10 hours a night within the first month.

effzee

You'd just hand off to the fullback three times in the red zone anyway.;)

Or Ronnie Brown HB option play

:(

Anyway the D now at least has a NFL caliber MLB. At least two starting, if not pro-bowl level, CBs. Good to great DLINE that should improve since I think they will target DT in the first round. Safety is still a weak spot.

Still enough talent on the D that Castillo needs to be held accountable if they don't perform again this year. Of course with that said he will get a lifetime extension.

Awesome! I have mine scheduled @ 2:15. How was the process?

Worked pretty well. I didn't have any issues with it. Took me like 5-10 mins.

I prefer this method over mailing in our wishes and hoping they get fulfilled. :jnc

Its nice being able to see exactly which seats are available to you.

cajunator

Banned
from a Time magazine article. Night schedules suck cajun. Hopefully you don't have to do that too long.

It doesn't really suck that much actually.
While I'm working there isn't a lot of free time but the way my company normally does it is 7 on/7 off which is pretty fucking useful.
The problem is we have been severely short staffed and the dispatch business doesn't exactly have new people lining up for it. It's demanding work and stressful as fuck.
But I enjoy night shifts. I hate getting up early AM to go to work. It is the worst feeling ever and it can get fucked. This works for me because I am single and foreveralone.

My wife fell in love with the idea of our daughter sleeping in our bed. Got so bad she WOULD NOT sleep in the crib. She could sense when she was put in, even while sleeping. Took 8 months to get her to fall asleep in the crib, a year to sleep the night.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
About 5 1/2 for me. I tried to cut it to 4 hours a night a while back, but I kept having to get a nap in so that didn't work. Protip: If you want to cut your sleep back, get up at the same time every day and slowly start staying up later and later. Training yourself to get up on time is the important part.

jakncoke

Banned
About 5 1/2 for me. I tried to cut it to 4 hours a night a while back, but I kept having to get a nap in so that didn't work. Protip: If you want to cut your sleep back, get up at the same time every day and slowly start staying up later and later. Training yourself to get up on time is the important part.

Yeah I get up at like 9:45/10 am every morning. But when i try to stay up later I just end up falling asleep watching tv.

cajunator

Banned

I bought an old school alarm clock with the bells on top. that fucker will wake the dead. I don't require it much but I set it just in case I ever oversleep or something. I hate the feeling of waking up and its already dark because then I'm like FUUUUUUUUUUUUU and I end up like an hour late. doesn't happen much but it sucks. Luckily the boss is understanding and he was a dispatcher so he knows how exhaustive this business is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So glad to see the new rule changes coming this year (OT and every turnover is reviewed).

One of the best things to happen under Goodell (along with moving the first round of the draft to primetime Thursday).

eznark

Banned
Yeah I get up at like 9:45/10 am every morning. But when i try to stay up later I just end up falling asleep watching tv.

lebowski-rug-nazmiyal.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think it's time for Holmgren to leave. Say what you want about the Jets GM when he wants something he has the executive ability to get it.

Hell no man. He's here for the long haul.

As for me 6hrs on weekdays, 8 on the weekends. I look back and miss my college days. don't know how I was able to go to bed at 2-3am on a regular and wake up at 6am for class. Or heck even being 22-23 years old again. I could go out for a night on the town during a worknight and still be fine. I'm only turning 29 and doing something like that sets me back for an entire week. :(

DeaconKnowledge said:
My wife fell in love with the idea of our daughter sleeping in our bed. Got so bad she WOULD NOT sleep in the crib. She could sense when she was put in, even while sleeping. Took 8 months to get her to fall asleep in the crib, a year to sleep the night.
Ugh, that's a killer. My wife tried that shit one night with my first daughter and I couldn't sleep for shit. Constantly worried I'd turn over and suffocate the baby or something, etc. That put an end to that. The first kid was a lot harder for us. We made a lot of mistakes like not imposing a schedule early on and other decisions that first time parents make that end up biting you in the ass.

I think that's usually why they say the second is easier. You just know more.

bionic77

For the first 6 months me and my wife each took a kid and slept in a different room so the babies did not wake each other up. Initially I had my son who was always a good sleeper but after a few months my daughter had a problem with spitting up too much milk*. So we had to feed her less and then she used to sleep with me. I could sleep sitting up so I said I would take care of my daughter. After 6 months she could drink milk fine and started sleeping 6-8 hours. But during this process I would usually only sleep 2-3 hours a night.

*The doctors gave us a choice of some medicines, potentially surgery or homeopathic (what we choose). I would rather not sleep then subject my kids to unnecessary medical treatment.

levious

pretty sure the second is easier because you care/obsess less. Don't think of the things you did as mistakes. That's just being too hard on yourself. Of course, I had my first kid at 19 so I really didn't know anything.

My thoughts were always, when they're babies, just do what they want. I never liked the concept of "training" a baby. Once I felt like we were communicating on some level (almost a year old?) then we started with stricter things. I really don't remember much.

Ugh, that's a killer. My wife tried that shit one night with my first daughter and I couldn't sleep for shit. Constantly worried I'd turn over and suffocate the baby or something, etc. That put an end to that. The first kid was a lot harder for us. We made a lot of mistakes like not imposing a schedule early on and other decisions that first time parents make that end up biting you in the ass.

I think that's usually why they say the second is easier. You just know more.

We went with a cradle next to our bed. Never let the kid sleep in your bed. You are completely fucked if that happens. Even when they're young and they come in and want to get in bed with you, I was like "no way." I'd take them back to their own room. I have slept parts of nights on bean bag chairs, but there's no way the kids were getting into the habit of sleeping in our bed. We have friends who have a 12 year old who still wakes up in the middle of the night and crawls into their bed.

But anyway - for your aspiring parents out there - cradle first, next to the bed, for the first month or so. The wife feels better because the baby is right there next to you, but you feel better because you don't feel like you're gonna squash your child. You also still have the bed all to yourselves.

levious

how are you fucked? Just the burden of having them in bed with you? I don't think it hurts the kids, I'd like to think it's a good bonding experience for them when they're young.

levious said:
My thoughts were always, when they're babies, just do what they want. I never liked the concept of "training" a baby.
I think people need to do what their comfortable with. My wife and I did the "do whatever you like" thing with our first and it was a miserable time for us. It took her nearly 7 months to sleep more than 4 hours a night and she went to bed at varying hours.

With this one, I was determined to not allow that to happen and I went for a more regimented approach. My wife, thankfully agreed. Abby goes down for a nap every day at 2PM and she gets woken up at 4:30pm to feed. She follows her nightly schedule as noted. She gets fed on a schedule. That may sound militaristic but as an experience for mom and me? It's night and day. Also, she's about as happy a baby as you'll see (our pediatrician said she's remarkably attentive and focuses her eyes and attention to a greater degree than she sees in most babies her age) and she has happier parents taking care of her which benefits her more than having zombies who are pissed off more often than not at being sleep deprived.

In other words, I'm a big fan of "training" a baby. To each their own though.

AngmarsKing701 said:
We went with a cradle next to our bed.
Abby sleeps in her bouncer. One thing I do agree with is not to force a kid to sleep somewhere they don't want to. She didn't like her crib off the bat but you put her in her bouncer and her eyes starting shutting immediately. We didn't argue. Eventually she'll out grow it and we'll move her. No hurry on that front.

bionic77 said:
*The doctors gave us a choice of some medicines, potentially surgery or homeopathic (what we choose). I would rather not sleep then subject my kids to unnecessary medical treatment.
Makes sense. A choice I would also make.

eznark

Banned
My wife keeps our daughter on a pretty tight schedule and loves the routine. Then I come home from work and ruin it! The perfect system.

Slo

p

My thoughts were always, when they're babies, just do what they want. I never liked the concept of "training" a baby. Once I felt like we were communicating on some level (almost a year old?) then we started with stricter things. I really don't remember much.

Adapting to whatever the kid wants can work when you have one. When we had our second kid it decided it wanted to sleep all day and party all night, which meant my wife basically had to be up 24/7 because she also had a 2 year old to deal with during the day.

When we had our 3rd, we basically had to say piss on whatever you guys want, if this has any chance of working at all then you're doing it our way from now on.

eznark

Banned
Adapting to whatever the kid wants can work when you have one. When we had our second kid it decided it wanted to sleep all day and party all night, which meant my wife basically had to be up 24/7 because she also had a 2 year old to deal with during the day.

When we had our 3rd, we basically had to say piss on whatever you guys want, if this has any chance of working at all then you're doing it our way from now on.

Seems like an appropriate descriptor for a Minnesotan.

Top Bottom