• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

All of the voted on measures by the owners:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/nfl-rule-changes-for-2012/

Proposed rules changes:
1. FAILED: Giving the authority to determine replay reviews to the replay official in the booth, not the referee on the field.

2. FAILED: Modifying the horse-collar tackle rule to remove the exception for quarterbacks in the pocket, so that a quarterback in the pocket may not be yanked down by the back of his shoulder pads or inside collar of his jersey.

3. PASSED: Changing overtime so that the postseason rule will be used in the regular season as well, and no regular-season games will be ended on a field goal on the first possession of overtime.

4. PASSED: Adding a loss of down to the penalty for kicking a loose ball, as is the case in college football.

5. PASSED: Adopting the college rule for too many men on the field, which is a dead-ball foul if a team lines up on offense for more than three seconds, or if a team on defense lines up with too many men and the snap is imminent. In those cases, the officials will blow the play dead and assess a five-yard penalty. This change wouldn’t affect the rulings on players running off the field who don’t get off in time.

6. PASSED: Expanding the defenseless player rule to protect defensive players on crackback blocks, making it illegal to hit them in the head or neck area.

7. PASSED: Automatically reviewing turnovers via instant replay, just as scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

The league also considered the following bylaws:

1. PASSED: Modifying the roster rules for teams that play on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2. TABLED: Moving the trade deadline from Week 6 to Week 8.

3. TABLED: Expanding the roster limit for training camp and the offseason to 90 players, with unsigned draft picks now counting toward that limit, whereas in the past unsigned draft picks did not count toward the 80-player limit.

4. TABLED: Moving this year’s final roster cutdown day to Friday night instead of Saturday, which is designed to give an extra day of work after cutting down to final rosters for the two teams playing in the first game of the season, which this year is on Wednesday instead of Thursday.

5. TABLED: Adding an injured reserve exemption so that if a player was on the roster through the first regular season weekend, that player can be placed on injured reserve and designated for return, and then can return to practice six weeks later and play in a game eight weeks later, rather than having all players on injured reserve out for the season.

6. TABLED: Allowing one roster exemption per team per week for a player who is inactive with a concussion.

bionic77

In other words, I'm a big fan of "training" a baby. To each their own though.
Ahh a disciple of the Tom Coughlin school of parenting.

I don't know if it is really training either. I mean you can't communicate with the kid at that age. It is more of establishing a routine for what to expect. Sleep at this time, eat at this time, bath and this time, etc. I am a big fan of routine.

jakncoke

Banned
2. FAILED: Modifying the horse-collar tackle rule to remove the exception for quarterbacks in the pocket, so that a quarterback in the pocket may not be yanked down by the back of his shoulder pads or inside collar of his jersey.

Kinda shocked this failed

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I actually liked the booth review idea. I wonder why that failed.

I can almost guarantee it has to do with keeping a separate identity from the college game.

then why are old people sleeping all the time? That's just math

Dude, old people sleep from like 8pm to 2am max, only reason they fall asleep any other time of day is because by the time you're old even breathing seems like a rerun.

Yeah the league is usually all about QB safety. I am stunned that didnt pass.

They're just setting up an inviting stage for all the ugly hits Brees is going to be taking this year.

Ugh, that's a killer. My wife tried that shit one night with my first daughter and I couldn't sleep for shit. Constantly worried I'd turn over and suffocate the baby or something, etc. That put an end to that. The first kid was a lot harder for us. We made a lot of mistakes like not imposing a schedule early on and other decisions that first time parents make that end up biting you in the ass.

I think that's usually why they say the second is easier. You just know more.

Yeah, looking back I laugh at all the silly things I agreed to because I didn't know any better. Next child will be different.

Also, my wife's worthless brother moved out yesterday so my daughter can finally have her own room! Yay!

eznark

Banned
I think teams should put ads on their uniforms. It's moronic not to. They should flat sell sponsorships. The Green Bay Packers brought to you by Miller Lite. Why not?

LJ11 said:
He can barely play the RB position.
:jnc

Zing.

Titans are interested in Asante Samuels:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/report-titans-interested-in-asante-samuel/

Terry McCormick of Titan Insider reports that the Titans have “at least some interest” in acquiring Samuel. Tennessee lost Cortland Finnegan in free agency. While Alterraun Verner and Jason McCourty are viable young starters, Samuel would give the Titans three outstanding cornerbacks in the increasingly pass-first NFL.

McCormick also reports that the Eagles want a third-round pick for Samuel.

I dont care if there's advertisements as long as they're tasteful and franchise appropriate.

Steelers- Sexual Abuse Support Group
Bucs- Taco Bell
Patriots- Night Owl Surveillance Systems

LJ11

So Melving Ingram supposedly had a great Pro Day, Alshon didn't do too bad either, who cares though.

Ingram seems to have some strange condition, his arms keep shrinking. Over 31 at the Senior Bowl, around 30 at the combine, today they came in under 30, 29.5.

h3ro

:jnc at the NBA

I'll rue the day when ads are brought to NFL jerseys.

Though the possibility of seeing Freeman as a walking Taco Bell billboard or Vick covered in "Pedigree-brand Dog Chow" will be hilarious.

JtJip.jpg

YsOq2.jpg

Practice jerseys have ads on them for two years now.

eznark

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/JtJip.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YsOq2.jpg[/IMG

Practice jerseys have ads on them for two years now.[/QUOTE]

ohmygoditsrapingmyeyesicanttakeitsomeonepleasemakeitstopthisistheworstinjusticesincethechalupafucksomeonemakeitgoawaywaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fox318

:jnc at the NBA

I'll rue the day when ads are brought to NFL jerseys.

Though the possibility of seeing Freeman as a walking Taco Bell billboard or Vick covered in "Pedigree-brand Dog Chow" will be hilarious.

Its in every other sport league outside of the US. Hell even MLS and the WNBA are doing it now and you bet your ass Stern will have ads on the Jerseys. I'm convinced however that after Spider-man 2 that at least Baseball will be safe.

QYD6k.jpg

GIWRD.jpg

Mark Rypien is leading yet another class action suit against the NFL for head injuries...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...2/03/27/gIQA9RczeS_story.html?wprss=rss_local

In the suit, which was filed March 23 in the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Rypien — along with 126 other former professional football players — allege that the NFL was aware of the dangers and risks of “repetitive traumatic brain injuries and concussions for decades, but deliberately ignored and actively concealed” the information, court documents say.

Theirs is the latest in a rising number of concussion- and head trauma-related class action suits leveled against the NFL by former players. The league is facing about a half-dozen class-action suits and “many more” multi-action suits from an estimated 1,000 former players, according to Gene Locks of the Locks Law Firm in Philadelphia.

Fox318

I'd be pissed if I was a WNBA player and had BIMBO on my jersey. Just sayin.

Honestly I'd rather have that then what is going on in the WPS.

As much as I love the RedBull ownership of the Bulls I would have rather they kept the MetroStars name. That new stadium they built is awesome.

Its in every other sport league outside of the US. Hell even MLS and the WNBA are doing it now and you bet your ass Stern will have ads on the Jerseys. I'm convinced however that after Spider-man 2 that at least Baseball will be safe.

QYD6k.jpg

GIWRD.jpg

I'm not totally against ads on jerseys in sports. Heck, I have a Manchester United kit (jersey/shirt) hanging in the closet right now with a giant AON plastered right in the middle (what the fuck is an AON?). I understand that that's the way the world of sports is moving and ads on uniforms represent a relatively easy way to make revenue. Seeing ads on NFL jerseys wouldn't be the end of the world, if done right ( and not like Nascar), but I still prefer jerseys with as little extra clutter (jerseys already have the NFL shield, manufacturer logo, team logos, numbers, and player names) as possible.

jakncoke

Banned
I had no idea WNBA still existed. Weird. I can't believe people pay to advertise there.

What is WPS?

The only reason I knew it existed still was because when I would creep on nba-age thread LovingSteam had pages filled with WNBA posts during their lockout.

Fox318

I'm not totally against ads on jerseys in sports. Heck, I have a Manchester United kit (jersey/shirt) hanging in the closet right now with a giant AON plastered right in the middle (what the fuck is an AON?). I understand that that's the way the world of sports is moving and ads on uniforms represent a relatively easy way to make revenue. Seeing ads on NFL jerseys wouldn't be the end of the world, if done right ( and not like Nascar), but I still prefer jerseys with as little extra clutter (jerseys already have the NFL shield, manufacturer logo, team logos, numbers, and player names) as possible.
I honestly feels it ruins the integrity of the uniform and the game. Uniforms are supposed to be a teams soul. Location and tradition almost don't matter anymore with players going to sports organizations the uniform is the only thing left.

I had no idea WNBA still existed. Weird. I can't believe people pay to advertise there.

What is WPS?

Womens Professional Soccer.

It could be worse...

VJu3K.jpg

Case example of why you don't do it. But everybody has a price.
JHWlj.png

Jxdtz.jpg

I can only think of one example of a sports organization toning down ads.

QaYo6.jpg

And they are reverting back.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Kinda shocked this failed

I am so happy that didn't pass, it would be ridiculous to flag for that.

When a quarterback is trying to evade players will grab whatever they can and not with the intention of harming the player, just making the play. If that rule passed you would see a lot less sacks.

Top Bottom