• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

OXATCsp.jpg

Caveman discovers fire.

Osorio

Haven't been so excited for a season opener in a minute. Liking the guys we kept, the new faces we brought in, seeing 4 solid lines, 3 good D pairings, a good goalie tandem, a handful of good D prospects in Albany, and a season anchored by the possible emotional send-off for Marty.

Love having an owner with pockets for the first time...ever? We had YankeeNets for the last 2 cups but we weren't making any cash out in the Meadowlands.

Love seeing people putting us as last or second to last in the division. We play better with a chip on our shoulder.

Let's go Devils

E-DuB

It's that beautiful time of year where my production will go down to nil and I will actively stay up until 1 in the morning on a regular basis to watch west coast games. AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!!

Go 'Nucks
Go Leafs
Go Preds

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be fun watching the Caps in a division that isn't a joke. I'm also interested in seeing how all the teams do with their new coaches.

Predictiiiiiiiiiiiiiions

Northbeast + Southleast

Boston
Ottawa
Detroit

Toronto
Montreal
Tampa
Florida
Buffalo

Neopolitan

Pittsburgh
Washington
New York Islanders
Columbus

New York Rangers
Carolina
Philly
New Jersey

The middle

Chicago
St-Louis
Dallas
Minnesota

Colorado
Winnipeg
Nashville

West siiiiiide

San Jose
LA
Vancouver
Edmonton

Anaheim
Phoenix
Calgary

It sucks that Colbrone didn't work out - I think we all hoped he'd turn out to be a steal so we'd feel less awful about the Kessel trade. But there was a reason why he was packed along with a 1st, I guess.

So, uh, what happens now if our 3/4C goes down?

Quick

Banned
Andrew Ference is the new Oilers captain.

I was kind of expecting Smyth, based purely on him being there the longest.

I don't really give a shit in the end. :lol

Canes trade Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh to Canucks for 4th rounder and Kellan Tochkin.

Canucks-GAF, who the fuck is Kellan Tochkin?

Edit: I see it was mentioned above. Jeremy Welsh played a handful of games at the NHL level after being signed late in the season out of college IIRC. He was pretty much slotted in to the 4th line. Dalpe has been one of those guys that the FO talked about two summers in a row, as a guy whom they expected to crack the top-9 and be the next Skinner. But over the course of those two seasons he didn't flash the scoring touch at the NHL level. Very similar story to Zach Boychuk, another high round pick who didn't pan out at the pro level.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Detroit back in the East where it belongs. Feels good.

Oh wait, Cleary and Samuelsson are still on our roster and we let Brunner go. Doesn't feel as good.

Cake Boss

Banned
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 8m

Yeo said Nino Niederreiter "earned it" and played like "a top 6 forward in camp." #mnwild

Way to go Isles.

Can you also give us Tavares and we'll send you Zack Smith while your at it.

Predictions!

Boston
Ottawa
Detroit
Toronto

Montreal
Tampa
Florida
Buffalo

Neopolitan

Pittsburgh
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Washington

Columbus
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina

Chicago
St Louis
Dallas
Winnipeg

Minnesota
Nashville
Colorado

LA
San Jose
Anaheim
Vancouver

Edmonton
Phoenix
Calgary

And I'm sticking with these.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers opening roster:

Goal (2): Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist

Defense (7): Michael Del Zotto, Justin Falk, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, John Moore, Marc Staal, Anton Stralman

Forward (15): Arron Asham, Brian Boyle, Derick Brassard, Ryan Callahan, Derek Dorsett, Jesper Fast, Carl Hagelin, J.T. Miller, Dominic Moore, Rick Nash, Benoit Pouliot, Taylor Pyatt, Brad Richards, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello

That's 24, which means Hagelin is going on LTIR.

Powe, Bickel, and Mashinter on waivers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
With Holzer, Brennan and Liles down, here's our D:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Reilly/Fraser-Ranger

Not bad if Fraser can be a scratch more often than not.

kevin-garnett-angry-gif.gif

Just something I saw, seems doubtful:

Jeff Veillette ‏@Jeffler 2m

Crazy thought here: could Calgary claim Liles to "complete" yesterday's trade and circumvent his No Trade Clause?

jaybeeze

Hansen with a 4 year, 10 million dollar extension. Guess we've got our third liners/fringe second liners locked up for the next four years.

Damnit Gillis, you're supposed to be working on the Sedins.

Spl1nter

Hmm so does this mean MacWilliam is staying up as well?
Been very impressed by macwilliam. Didn't expect it from him. However it may be best to have him gain more experience in the ahl.

Thought he was better than Fraser. Plus he was born in 1990, still pretty young.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Emmerton on waivers. Kind of surprised, but hey--Cleary needs his spot.

Sorry, but Emmerton had no spot on this team from the beginning, Andersson has proved he can easily take his spot as a center and we have plenty of other guys like Glendening, Ferraro, Telletubby, etc... who can easily fill in for a 4th line center role if needed.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Don't they have to do this to get under the roster limit for tomorrow? I think it's just a paper transaction. Since you still have to count Helm, Eaves, and Gus even though they'll be on LTIR the next day.

EDIT - Looks like I was wrong... They will be keeping down in the minors if he clears...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_place_center_cory_em.html

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings moved a step closer to alleviating their roster crunch and becoming salary-cap compliant on Sunday by placing center Cory Emmerton on waivers.

If Emmerton clears at noon on Monday, he will be assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins. Either way, the move opens a roster spot and shaves $533,000 off the cap.

General manager Ken Holland said center Darren Helm (back) will be placed on long-term injured reserve on Monday. That clears another roster spot and gives the club $2.125 million in cap relief.

The Red Wings currently have 26 players and are approximately $2.4 million over the cap. They have until 5 p.m. Monday to reduce their roster to 23 players.

Right wing Patrick Eaves (sprained MCL and ankle) and goaltender Jonas Gustavsson (groin) will start the season on injured reserve. The club will determine on Monday whether it's long-term or short-term.

Clubs receive cap relief if a player goes on long-term IR (minimum 10 games and 24 days). Short-term IR (minimum seven days) does not provide cap relief, it only creates a roster spot.

If Eaves and Gustavsson both go on short-term IR, the Red Wings will need to make another move to clear some salary because Gustavsson's $1.5 million will still be on the cap, along with his replacement, Petr Mrazek's $790,000 salary.

If that's the case, the club likely would send forward Gustav Nyquist to Grand Rapids, at least temporarily. Nyquist is one of two players (defenseman Danny DeKeyser the other) who is exempt from waivers. Sending him down would clear $950,000 from the cap.

The status of right wing Jordin Tootoo (bruised shoulder) will be determined today. Holland said he is close to returning but might start the season on short-term IR.

Holland said nobody else will be waived before the start of the season.

Emmerton filled the Red Wings' fourth-line center spot the past two seasons, but he would not have had a place in the lineup once Helm returned because Joakim Andersson solidified his place in the lineup with a strong rookie season. He will center the third line until Helm returns.

The Red Wings can use Riley Sheahan or Luke Glendening in the fourth-line center slot in the meantime.

Acid08

Banned
Kearns, McCarthy, and Pelech on waivers going back to Woostah. Good, none of those guys should crack the lineup ever.

Regulars we have that are injured: Torres, Havlat, Stuart, and Burish. Burish and Stuart and said to have "bumps and bruises" so hopefully that means they'll be ready to go for opening day, Stuart has at least been saying he'll be ready.

Expect opening day to look something like this:
Kennedy-Couture-Marleau
Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Nieto-Pavelski-Wingels
Desjardins-Sheppard-Burish(Hamilton if injured)

Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Stuart(Hannan if injured)-Demers

Niemi
Stalock

No idea where Havlat will slot in when he comes back. Ideally I'd like him on the third line, they need a speedy winger who can pass. This means that Kennedy gets permanent top 6 time though, which isn't great.

If Havlat gets moved down to the third then Wingels either gets moved to Couture's line or the 4th line. I think Wingels would make a great 4th liner. I'd like the coaching staff to have some balls and try out a 4th line like Nieto-Hamilton-Wingels because the potential there is sooooooo high compared to what we have now. There's a log jam of bottom 6 forwards. A lot of them are talented too and our current fourth doesn't look great in comparison.

I'm super excited to watch the rookies this year. I believe in this team. Go Sharks.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
for those interested, the pickem game is up and ready for this season over at box stretch

Top Bottom