• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

This monster is pretty distracting, albeit not off center.

nhlducksvsavspepsicenter-525x393.jpg

It's fine. And hell, when you're in the nose bleeds you can probably still follow the fucking game!

So the taxman gave me $1.7k today. The neighbour gave me a bottle of wine because she complained about my noise. And the local pizza shop gave me a free pizza because they fucked up the pizza they made for me in the same order (all they did was forget to put red onion on it).

This is also the last weekend I have drugs, forever. The LA Kings girl had a friend whose sister died from OD (on what, I'm not sure of or how or any of the details) and she's never taken any drugs because of it. So out of respect for her I'm not taking anything while I'm with her.

Tonight's event is a joint birthday though and I had it booked for ages. Both of us are still attending the events we confirmed we were going to before we hooked up, so it's only fair.

I'll probably lose a few friends who can't keep the crack pipes away from their mouths (one of them is going into rehab next week), but I only met them half a year ago and they aren't really that close anyway. They are some very lovely, generous, hilarious, warm and beautiful people though who look out for each other and support each other. But if you become 'that guy' who isn't taking anything then your visits at social events turn more into a few hours of catch ups and funny yarns before they break out the baggies and the lighters.

OK, that's life I guess or whatever.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Shit I should have been on NHL GAF last night. There was another Isles fan and an "Iron Man 3 is a huge piece of shit" discussion.

Guys srsly, page me when you want to talk about this stuff.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is also the last weekend I have drugs, forever. The LA Kings girl had a friend whose sister died from OD (on what, I'm not sure of or how or any of the details) and she's never taken any drugs because of it. So out of respect for her I'm not taking anything while I'm with her.

This is also the last weekend I have drugs, forever... Out of respect for her I'm not taking anything while I'm with her.

I'm with her forever.

Wow congrats, breh. I'm glad you found a keeper. The best news is that if you actually take her to a real life Kings game in Anaheim, she will probably stop being a Kings fan to begin with after seeing what happens when the cities of Hemet and East LA empty out into the Pond. Right now she is doing the equivalent of admiring Wernher von Braun's scientific work on rockets. If you take her to a game, it will be the equivalent of taking her on a tour through von Braun's torture factories. A game at Staples? Auschwitz.

And really, if you are worried about losing those friends because you've made the decision to cut back/back out of the drug use, then they are probably worth losing in the long run.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This thread just reminded me how awful Iron Man 3 was lol.

The Winter Soldier made me forget Marvel can pump out crap.
Some guy tried to get in an argument with me about how amazing IM3 was in the Avengers AoU thread. I just bailed out, not worth the effort.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Some guy tried to get in an argument with me about how amazing IM3 was in the Avengers AoU thread. I just bailed out, not worth the effort.

I've had that argument. it devolves into the people who love it saying you need to ignore the script flaws and plotholes and embrace it as a buddy cop comedy. Because the last 15 minutes have a few buddy cop moments.

I said it best here:

I think the people who love IM3 just paint people who don't like it as 'comic nerds who hate the twist' when in fact:

- The plot is a cheesy Incredibles ripoff

- Tony doesn't bother to make any efforts to defend his home after giving his address to the Mandarin, despite having 30+ remote piloted suits available

- The Iron Patriot suit doesn't work when the President is in it but does moments later when Rhodey wears it (don't say it knows who Rhodey is, it worked fine when the bald guy wore it too)

- Iron Man movie never features him in a functional suit

- Tacked on cheesy kid segment in middle of movie kills pacing and adds nothing to story (why does the suit need to charge if its powered by the arc reactor? How is Jarvis being shut down and later fixed? Why does this movie break so many rules established in the previous two?)

- Lame fight with Guy Pearce ultimately ended by Pepper somehow firing from a random arm that's not attached to any power source

- PTSD storyline ultimately remains unresolved

- Kid friendly script doesn't allow Tony Stark to drink or deal with his drinking problem, which would have added more depth to PTSD storyline

Jeez I could keep going. The problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they changed the character of the Mandarin, the problem is its a poorly plotted mess that features very little Iron Man action and another lame corporate white guy villain we've already seen in the previous 2 IM movies.

The movie is shit, and I have given up on arguing with its defenders.

IM1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IM3 >> IM2

I'll take Iron Man 2 over IM3. At least Iron Man 2 has some really great IM and WM vs Drone action and Sam Rockwell.

The dumb "I created an element" scene would only be the like the 9th dumbest scene in IM3

Red_Man

TeethMummy doing the Lord's work. Everything you touched on is true. It's simply just bad film making. If RDJ didn't completely kill the Stark role, the 2nd and 3rd movies would have been disasters.

TUSR

Banned
I'll take Iron Man 2 over IM3. At least Iron Man 2 has some really great IM and WM vs Drone action and Sam Rockwell.

The dumb "I created an element" scene would only be the like the 9th dumbest scene in IM3

Aside from the forgettable bad guy in IM2 its not that bad of a movie I guess.

Ive always been more critical of IM2 since it followed up on my favourite Marvel movie.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Aside from the forgettable bad guy in IM2 its not that bad of a movie I guess.

Ive always been more critical of IM2 since it followed up on my favourite Marvel movie.

Yeah, I know that feeling. People claim IM2 was nothing but Avengers setup but it really wasn't. The story was just weak enough that a lot of the memorable stuff (Widow, Fury at Donut Shop) stand out.

Rockwell was great, Mickey Rourke was meh. But the true crime of Iron Man 2 is the drunk party scene and Rhodey/Stark fight that follows. Tony's drinking problem is important to the character (and an interesting aspect of him that the movies don't explore) and they played it for jokes and a random cameo from some stupid DJ.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Winter Soldier made me forget Marvel can pump out crap.

The Winter Soldier could have very, very easily been Avengers 2. If you add in a few superhumans on the HYDRA side and expand the climactic attack to cover a couple of full cities, you would basically have the rough plot of Ultimates Volume 2.

The Winter Soldier could have very, very easily been Avengers 2. If you add in a few superhumans on the HYDRA side and expand the climactic attack to cover a couple of full cities, you would basically have the rough plot of Ultimates Volume 2.
Was better for it. TWS felt tight enough where you really couldn't add much more to the plot without risking losing focus. The hand to hand fight scenes being more grounded was also a big draw for the film. Besides fly-bro the scenes didn't all that crazy for a Marvel film. It's close but IMO TWS is best Marvel film yet.

Curufinwe

To add some interest to this long, boring offseason, tell us a surprising fact or anecdote about your team from the past year.

This is mine. Giroux and Voracek both did slightly better in terms of Corsi and goals scored/conceded playing with Austrian rookie Michael Raffl than they did playing with Scott Hartnell. Even though Hartnell was a significantly better finisher.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, I know that feeling. People claim IM2 was nothing but Avengers setup but it really wasn't. The story was just weak enough that a lot of the memorable stuff (Widow, Fury at Donut Shop) stand out.

Rockwell was great, Mickey Rourke was meh. But the true crime of Iron Man 2 is the drunk party scene and Rhodey/Stark fight that follows. Tony's drinking problem is important to the character (and an interesting aspect of him that the movies don't explore) and they played it for jokes and a random cameo from some stupid DJ.

The Demon in a Bottle story line would have been humanizing for Iron Man, more so than his PTSD from space. But since they played out in different movies it doesn't really matter.

The PTSD in a sense grounded Iron Man in the third movie and showed how mortal he was in comparison to characters from future Marvel films.

I could write a huge ass post about this. But really it all comes down to the direction of the Marvel franchise.

It's fine. And hell, when you're in the nose bleeds you can probably still follow the fucking game!

You need glasses if you can't follow the game from the nosebleeds. Though I usually go for tickets in the lower bowl, so maybe the jumbotron does make the upper bowl more enjoyable.

zedge

You don't know what nose bleeds are till you sit in the ones in the saddle dome. :p

The way the roof slopes down its right in front of you and you can't even see the jumbo tron or the other side of the arena. They have big screen tvs on the back of the press box for that..lol

Kinda give you the picture. It's very steep too. Seen people tumble more than once.

5500910229_e0f1da5e3b_b.jpg

Socreges

Banned
See? Even this Coyotes blogger thinks Buffalo is getting the short end of the stick

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=61907

God the comments section in these things always makes me laugh
I disagree with you, but felt your pain enough that it wasn't worth arguing yesterday. I get it.

But... that's a silly article. For a number of reasons. But to address one point - if the presumptive reason behind the NHL changing the draft lottery is to curb Buffalo from landing McDavid, why have they made 2016 more aggressive. Not to mention that the odds of McDavid landing in a desirable market early haven't improved much.

OnPoint

I disagree with you, but felt your pain enough that it wasn't worth arguing yesterday. I get it.

But... that's a silly article. For a number of reasons. But to address one point - if the presumptive reason behind the NHL changing the draft lottery is to curb Buffalo from landing McDavid, why have they made 2016 more aggressive. Not to mention that the odds of McDavid landing in a desirable market early haven't improved much.

I'm not really suggesting the league is out to get us. I'm upset about the timing, but I truly believe it's purely coincidence. I just wanted to carry on convo in here haha

OnPoint

Maybe the league is out to get you, it's such a blatant tank job.

They could be. But it would be silly, we're hardly the first city to have done that, and it's within the rules. It's worked out for some teams, and not for others. But I refuse to actually take it personally.

Samyy

I don't mind starting it~
What type of league do you guys want? Head-to-head?

Yahoo Fantasy is open. Anyone want to start the GAF pool? I won't mind hosting it either.

I'll start it! I'm assuming that means you want a spot right?

LIST:
19&21
Lone_Prodigy
Samyy
Fata1moose

Also league size? I feel like 16 might be too many but if theres enough interest we could do that.

Actually it looks like we can just renew last year's league? Which was 12 people, Rotisserie. I think BigJonsson was the commish. I dunno, if we want to get more people in (assuming everyone from last year is still in) we could prob modify the cap.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You don't know what nose bleeds are till you sit in the ones in the saddle dome. :p

The way the roof slopes down its right in front of you and you can't even see the jumbo tron or the other side of the arena. They have big screen tvs on the back of the press box for that..lol

Kinda give you the picture. It's very steep too. Seen people tumble more than once.

5500910229_e0f1da5e3b_b.jpg

I've been to one game there and you weren't kidding, holy shit.

Var

I don't mind starting it~
What type of league do you guys want? Head-to-head?

I'll start it! I'm assuming that means you want a spot right?

LIST:
19&21
Lone_Prodigy
Samyy
Fata1moose

Also league size? I feel like 16 might be too many but if theres enough interest we could do that.

I want in!

Samyy

Actually it looks like we can just renew last year's league? Which was 12 people, Rotisserie. I think BigJonsson was the commish. I dunno, if we want to get more people in (assuming everyone from last year is still in) we could prob modify the cap.

But there might be people who want to do it this year, and maybe some who don't want to do it from last year?

Can we change the people around?

Stasis

This fantasy league, it is of interest to me.

I've actually never participated in this kind of thing, despite my hockey obsession.

Someone hold my hand. No but seriously, how much of a time commitment is required? I'm still furthering my education, moving into a new house with a basement to finish, and may be heading off to Winnipeg for training for a few weeks at some point in October. Basically I'm kinda busy.

Red_Man

I was in last 2 years I believe, but I'm going to skip this year. Too much going on, and I always seem to limp off of it in the 2nd half anyways.

Samyy

This fantasy league, it is of interest to me.

I've actually never participated in this kind of thing, despite my hockey obsession.

Someone hold my hand. No but seriously, how much of a time commitment is required? I'm still furthering my education, moving into a new house with a basement to finish, and may be heading off to Winnipeg for training for a few weeks at some point in October. Basically I'm kinda busy.

Not that much really...maybe an hour a week?

Not that much really...maybe an hour a week?

If you have a losing attitude, maybe an hour a week. Personally, I put in 16 hours per week into my team, analyzing their possession numbers, whether their stock is trending upward. I scour the waiver wire for some hidden gems and do research on various fantasy hockey articles for advice.

An hour is good though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm in.

Most important lesson is that there are maximum games played per position, so don't blow your load too early like 50% of the people last season to allow for my late-season surge to rank 2 lol.

Top Bottom