• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs |OT2| stay salty, my friends

Montresor

Oh, delicate little baby squirrel. To be fair, Smiley missed the game the first time around. And that historic third period, and the ensuing reactions, is about as entertaining as hockey gets. Sorry that it comes at your expense.

Seriously, I actually feel bad. That's an awful way to be eliminated. Sweeps suck, sure, but at least your hopes and expectations are wiped out well before the final dagger.

After last night it's no surprise I'm delicate.

Welp, I see Smash is still trolling some of you, but anyways picks:

Code:
Realistic Expectations:

East:
Sens vs Pens - Sens in 7
Bruins vs Rangers - Bruins in 6

West:
Sharks vs Queens - Sharks in 6
Wings vs Hawks - Hawks in 5 :*(

Actually Hoping For:

East:
Sens vs Pens - Sens in 7
Bruins vs Rangers - Rangers in 6

West:
Sharks vs Queens - Sharks in 6
Wings vs Hawks - WINGS IN 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sens vs Pens:
This one can go either way. If Vokoun plays out of his mind and the inexperience gets the best of Ottawa, the Pens easily take this. However, I think Ottawa can be a threat I feel they will come flying out of the gate to surprise the Pens and take the series.
Bruins vs Rangers: Bruins will ride their current win into the next series and have a fairly easy time with NY. New York I think will take it if King Henrik plays like he did the last two games and if some of NY big guns show up. Other than that though, I still feel Boston will take this.

Sharks vs Queens: While the Queens took advantage of a scrambled up Blues team after dropping their first two, the Sharks look crazy scary and while it will be a tightly fought battle, the Sharks big guns will be more effective than the Queen's in this series.
Wings vs Hawks: Well this flat out sucks. The only little chance I hold is that 3 out of our 4 games we played against the Hawks went to OT/SO with two of those being SO's. Detroit may be able to ride that momentum into the next series and take the first game by surprise. However, this is just way to of a mismatch that the Hawks will more than likely end this series quick. Detroit has surprised me so far with beating the Ducks, but I think they are out of surprises unless Howard continues to play out of his mind and Z and D elevate their game even more.

Socreges

Banned
Without catching up with all of it I can guess that the Smash hate has just as much to do with him being an ex-leaf as what he writes? Goddamn, taking shit from someone who jumped your ship to get on a bandwagon must be unbearable.
There's also a lot of history there. If you're going to be cocky about your team, people hate if you show up just as they're becoming successful. And what's 10x worse is if you basically abandon one team and choose another after they drafted a couple guaranteed superstars. Smash knows this. He used to get a lot of shit for it and would deny that was the reason. So I'm not surprised that he's learned to change history to make it more believable:

This is what he said last night to explain why he hates the Leafs and switched to the Pens...

Smash88 (05/14/2013) said:
I cheer for Pens.

I hate them, because I was an ex-fan, grew up during the Clark/Gilmour-era. Got fed up with their shit, and before the lockout during 2004, I went to the Penguins. (ED: Pre-Crosby) Have been there for almost 10 years. I have no regrets. Yes there are ups and downs, but at least it isn't the cesspool that you experience with the Leafs and their god awful management (MLSE).

This is the truth (posts from years ago):

To answer some people. I thought they were entertaining prior to the lockout when I watched them play against the Leafs. Maybe it was because before that I was always consumed with the Leafs that I never cared for other teams, I was one of those fans that would follow every progress made. So a switch to another team made it entertaining nonetheless. I guess you could assume that I am a "bandwagoner" because I came after the lockout. (ED: Post-Crosby) Although that was never my goal.
I know the Leafs have been a joke for a while now, especially with JFJ. At least now they are shaping up. Although I jumped ship after lockout for the Pens, so it was cool to see a team you cheer for win the cup, after 4 or so seasons of following them, and not the 17 or so years I wasted on the Leafs with no gain at all. I honestly will never go back to the Leafs, Pens until the end. If they win the cup one day, good for them, I will still cheer for the Pens. Plus I like Crosby/Fleury/Gonchar :D

Only thing on the Leafs I'm cheering for and I want for my NHL 10 team roster is Gustavson and Schenn. I really want them to have a bright future in the NHL.
Could care less, that you feel hurt that I'm not a fan of the 'awesome' leafs :lol

Fine Moginly was there early 2000, I was mainly talking about the Gilmour/Andreychuk/Clark, from my early childhood. I guess I mixed up the lines. Calling me a bandwagoner would mean I am switching constantly between the next good team, when I have been following the Pens soon after lockout. Get your garbage terminology out of here. :lol
Internet_detective.jpg

That loss still stings this morning.

So close.

So fucking close.

I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing the Pens lose.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Jesus, I still can't comprehend what happened last night. I'm also pretty sure that it caused me to have the longest, strangest dream of my life. Now I'm exhausted and it's only Tuesday.

Ricker

One of my uncle is the kind of guy that thinks all sports are ''arranged/fixed'' so when something like last night happens he grins a lot...seriously makes you wonder sometimes though how a team can blow a lead like that in a few minutes...

Quick

Banned
I'm sick of people telling me I look like Drake. I'm much handsomer, and taller. Maybe I should grow my hair long, if it wasn't such a curly Mangnumesque mess.

I've been drinking and this time, for no reason.

Did you start from the bottom? Was your whole team here?

Just so you know, no one from Leafs-GAF re-watched game 4 of your sweep in "glorious HD" and read fan reactions with glee.

Leave it be, Mont. This is what we get, also what we dish out.

Alucard

Banned
On the subject of fandom:

Outside of stubborn loyalty, which most of us here have, why should we consider jumping ship from a poorly-managed and greedy franchise a bad thing? Isn't a fan in an abusive relationship if he/she just stays on regardless of the team's front office hiking up ticket prices while not making the playoffs for 9 seasons?

I commend Smash for getting out of a bad relationship.

Quick

Banned
Give Life Back To Music, Instant Crush and Touch are where it's at.

Doin It Right is good stuff too. Not sure I'm wild about Panda, but god damn it is catchy as fuck.

Instant Crush is my early favourite.

That loss still stings this morning.

So close.

So fucking close.

I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing the Pens lose.

It's okay. There's some positives to take, at least. Leafs are still improved from previous years, and it can (hopefully) only get better with some players getting playoff experience.

pringles

Everyone's picking Chicago in a quick series, and that's fine by me. The Wings have already exceeded expectations and going into this series with zero pressure to win is great. Hawks have everything to lose, as dropping this series would certainly go down as one of the biggest failures in their organization's history, while a loss for Detroit would just be seen as making the 2nd round in a rebuilding/transitional year.

It's gonna be a great series and I think Detroit will put up a fight for sure. I also look forward to some great hockey discussion with the Hawks fans, they're usually pretty
and
, always great to talk about
with them.

Wings in 7. Datsyuk and Zetterberg will carry us to glory.

Went to sleep right after the game, but...

Leafs :'(

I knew following them this offseason would give me that old familiar "GODDAMNIT" feeling deep in the pit of my stomach. Last night they did not disappoint.

ShaneB

I'm not feeling the Daft Punk album at all. *shrug* Few decent tracks, and I'll give it some more listens to see if it clicks, but yeah, meh so far. I thought Within sounded beautiful though.

I'm still trying to comprehend last nights games. The worst possible outcome I wanted is what happened. My interest in watching Rangers/Bruins is next to none, but if nothing else, I wouldn't mind Handsome Henrik beating those damn Bruins. Guess my horse in the east are the Sens, and the Hawks in the West.

My picks were pretty god awful for the first round, I guess it's a year of upsets, so I have no idea what go with here now. Fuck it...

Hawks in 6.
Kings in 7.

Sens in 7
Rangers in 7.

Solo

There's also a lot of history there. If you're going to be cocky about your team, people hate if you show up just as they're becoming successful. And what's 10x worse is if you basically abandon one team and choose another after they drafted a couple guaranteed superstars. Smash knows this. He used to get a lot of shit for it and would deny that was the reason. So I'm not surprised that he's learned to change history to make it more believable:

This is what he said last night to explain why he hates the Leafs and switched to the Pens...

Internet_detective.jpg

/ETHER

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Predictions:

Pens in 5
Bruins in 7

Kings in 6
Hawks in 4

Cake Boss

Banned

Internet_detective.jpg

ibmKq9OOYcLVqw.gif

Can't handle the shit talking lol no I cant handle shit posts.

neoemonk

Outside of stubborn loyalty, which most of us here have, why should we consider jumping ship from a poorly-managed and greedy franchise a bad thing? Isn't a fan in an abusive relationship if he/she just stays on regardless of the team's front office hiking up ticket prices while not making the playoffs for 9 seasons?

As a lifelong Detroit Lions fan I have no idea what you're talking about.

If your team does turn it around though, it's so so sweet. The Detroit Tigers are a great example of this. I had season tickets in 2004, and still would if I lived in that area. But look at their records from the early 2000s compared to now. It was worth every shit season, and hopefully they finally take it one more step and win the World Series this year.

Cake Boss

Banned
For the second straight year, the Ottawa Senators have won more playoff games than any other Canadian team.

Sens won more games over past 2yrs than all other Cdn teams combined. And won the most games(50) & series(8) over 15yr span.

canadaflag1y.jpg

Canadian teams really suck

Montresor

You can cheer for whoever you want. That is not the issue. The point is that Smash is needlessly antagonistic towards Leaf fans in here and makes terrible arguments and pretends he is a bastion of logic and honesty.

For example, Smash says Leaf fans are delusional for arguing yesterday's tripping penalty against Toronto. Leaf fans were not saying a tripping penalty did not occur. Leaf fans were questioning why that tripping penalty should be called when the refs were adopting a "swallow the whistles" philosophy and allowed a) Kelly to turn JVR's face bloody with a vicious elbow and b) Chara and Rask to punch Lupul in the face.

This has nothing to do with switching allegiances and everything to do with Smash having an abrasive and rotten personality. He can pretend his banter is friendly but I'll take banter with Solo, Red_Man, Acid, Socreges, Cake_Boss, etc... any day of the week and shake their hand gladly.

Everyone's picking Chicago in a quick series, and that's fine by me. The Wings have already exceeded expectations and going into this series with zero pressure to win is great. Hawks have everything to lose, as dropping this series would certainly go down as one of the biggest failures in their organization's history, while a loss for Detroit would just be seen as making the 2nd round in a rebuilding/transitional year.

It's gonna be a great series and I think Detroit will put up a fight for sure. I also look forward to some great hockey discussion with the Hawks fans, they're usually pretty
and
, always great to talk about
with them.

Wings in 7. Datsyuk and Zetterberg will carry us to glory.

If, and this is a BIG IF, we manage to actually beat the Hawks, we will need to have some epic post planned for this and to rub in the "be careful what you wish for" sentiment of Hawks fans wanting us as a 2nd round opponent for ease. - Looking at you wsox!!

Parch

The Grinch Who Stole Leaf-Cup

Pooh-pooh to the Leaves!" he was grinch-ish-ly humming.
They're finding out now that no Cup will be coming!
They're just waking up! I know just what they'll do!
Their mouths will hang open a minute or two
The all the Leaves down in Leaf-ville will all cry BOO-HOO!"

Heretic

Internet_detective.jpg
Madre de Dios!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Amazing work, Socreges!!!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to point out that we went 2-1-0 against Boston this year with all three of those games during the time in the season when Boston was pretty much the best team in the conference and we were playing like utter dog shit in like 11th and 12th place. Not that they were easy, of course. Both of our wins went to overtime, and one of them came after blowing a three goal third period lead in the final seconds of regulation. The only loss was the very first game of the season.

I also think I said that I was kind of bummed we were done with the Bruins already because they were fun games and hoped we ended up matching up in the playoffs. Looking forward to this one.

Cake Boss

Banned
So that Martin Erat trade still looks amazing. 3 points in the regular season and 0 points in the playoffs, while playing in the top 6.
KuGsj.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Internet_detective.jpg
Socreges Holmes. :0

Maybe he really is the tabris....of Pens age?

I expect Smash to wait four pages to post. At which point I will quote Soc again and he'll ignore it and continue his pre-Crosby schtick. Looking forward to it.

TUSR

Banned
So I got to work this morning and google chrome and Internet explorer are no where to be found and the folders were changed at 9:46/9:47 last night. And their respective folders are locked out.

Only for me.

Top Bottom