• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Ghazi

DLC is nice, I wish I had a save to use it on!
Yeah, that seems a bit short sighted in context of how they handle that ending. They might have a way to access it pretty quickly, but I guess you wouldn't have all the weapons or high end chips.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know, talking about this game vs the original nier made me appreciate how different it ultimately is while still holding the same trademarked taro stuff. No matter which side you fall on which game is better I do appreciate that Taro is able to explore somewhat different themes while still keeping his style. A lot of directors would just rest on their laurels and just polish up previous works for their new game.

Ferr986

Well, Devola and Popola models were among the androids who sent human data to the moon. So even if by the time the YoRHa project actually started they were already being ostracized (I don't remember if the game makes the order particularly clear), they still in a way had a hand in that.

So, while their personal story is indeed an outcast one about prejudice and discrimination, they still played a fundamental role in another one of the most important events in history. Overseeing Project Gestalt, and basically putting the gears of Project YoRHa in motion, that's pretty huge.

I don't remember the game saying that were Popola and Devola models the ones that send the data to the moon? It's more that it was agreed by al androids?
And it's also said that after Nier 1 events tension arised between Androids and P&D models started to get the blame.

To me it feels like the YoHRa project came from someone else, considering by the point the alien invasion happened it is said (or atleast that's what I understood in the game) P&D models were already made outcasts, I don't see how they have something to say in the project in that state. YoHRa project is afterall something "relatively" new in Automata timeline.

Ok wow. Some Japanese fellow literally just added me on steam and said they wanted to say thanks in person for saving them in the E Ending credits. (though google translate obviously)

Wow.

That's cool. I had this happen to me with Journey companions.

Gbraga

I don't remember the game saying that were Popola and Devola models the ones that send the data to the moon? It's more that it was agreed by al androids?
And it's also said that after Nier 1 events tension arised between Androids and P&D models started to get the blame.

To me it feels like the YoHRa project came from someone else, considering by the point the alien invasion happened it is said (or atleast that's what I understood in the game) P&D models were already made outcasts, I don't see how they have something to say in the project in that state. YoHRa project is afterall something "relatively" new in Automata timeline.

Not the ones, but among them, definitely. It's mentioned in their memories:

QhKxRpX.png

And that was a bit before people started to hate their models for what happened.

I agree that they probably weren't directly involved, but the launch of human stuff to the moon is at the core of the YoRHa project, and the twins would be able to reveal the truth if their memory wasn't wiped, even if they weren't directly involved with the creation of the plan as we know it.

Just like they're not directly responsible for creating Project Gestalt or the replicants, but were overseeing the entire project, so in a way also were an important contribution to it succeeding.

Well, it didn't, but still...

Ferr986

Not the ones, but among them, definitely. It's mentioned in their memories:

QhKxRpX.png

And that was a bit before people started to hate their models for what happened.

I agree that they probably weren't directly involved, but the launch of human stuff to the moon is at the core of the YoRHa project, and the twins would be able to reveal the truth if their memory wasn't wiped, even if they weren't directly involved with the creation of the plan as we know it.

Just like they're not directly responsible for creating Project Gestalt or the replicants, but were overseeing the entire project, so in a way also were an important contribution to it succeeding.

Well, it didn't, but still...

Ah yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought the data sending to the moon was close to the alien invasion, but that was not the case. It was probably close to the death of the original Gestalt.

Talha

Wow this game, just wow the beauty it encompassed the sense of loss, the sense of hatred, the sense of love, the sense of regret(if you give up at the end), the sense of accomplishment, the sense of teamwork, all of it was so beautifully crafted, I applaud Square Enix and Platinum Games for this endeavour, the amount of gameplay, story and amazing voice work was just flawless, probably one of the most well versed games I've played this generation, the ending was amazing, giving us a chance to reach the true ending with the help of others from all over the world, giving you advice, not to give up, the ending credits was just a masterpiece in itself every time you died you didn't want to give up no matter what! The ending has given us all a sense of hope for a sequel with a return of the cast!

Gbraga

Wow this game, just wow the beauty it encompassed the sense of loss, the sense of hatred, the sense of love, the sense of regret(if you give up at the end), the sense of accomplishment, the sense of teamwork, all of it was so beautifully crafted, I applaud Square Enix and Platinum Games for this endeavour, the amount of gameplay, story and amazing voice work was just flawless, probably one of the most well versed games I've played this generation, the ending was amazing, giving us a chance to reach the true ending with the help of others from all over the world, giving you advice, not to give up, the ending credits was just a masterpiece in itself every time you died you didn't want to give up no matter what! The ending has given us all a sense of hope for a sequel with a return of the cast!

They'll die 3 minutes into the sequel, if they even appear.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, I just got Endings D & E after completing Ending C last night.......that ending was AMAZING! Who woulda thought a shoot-the-credits sequence could be so powerful, when I kept dying near the end & then received help from all the other players as the ensemble of voices came together to sing the theme song - BEAUTIFUL. I chose to sacrifice my save data to save another player somewhere out there in the world, but I do have a save file uploaded to the PSN cloud, so I hope I can go back - it seems I missed A LOT, like people talking about the Emil boss fight, when did I miss this?

I really enjoyed the game a lot but my mind overall is kinda mush about the general story. The latter half of Route C just confused me, can someone here summarize the overall narrative?

Antiwhippy

Man, I just got Endings D & E after completing Ending C last night.......that ending was AMAZING! Who woulda thought a shoot-the-credits sequence could be so powerful, when I kept dying near the end & then received help from all the other players as the ensemble of voices came together to sing the theme song - BEAUTIFUL. I chose to sacrifice my save data to save another player somewhere out there in the world, but I do have a save file uploaded to the PSN cloud, so I hope I can go back - it seems I missed A LOT, like people talking about the Emil boss fight, when did I miss this?

I really enjoyed the game a lot but my mind overall is kinda mush about the general story. The latter half of Route C just confused me, can someone here summarize the overall narrative?

Generally, 9S/2B goes down to do recon and support for the Resistance camp. They discover that machines are branching off to their own seperate societies, and that the war is not as it seems. They encounter Adam and Eve which at that point is the machine's consciousness's apex form and curiosity of humanity made manifest. Adam and Eve are defeated.

Yorha used that to press their supposed advantage, but then it was discovered that Yorha was setup to fail whenever the androids have an overwhelming advantage in the war, because Yorha are used not only to gather intel to advance the next model of androids, but they are also used to perpetrate the myth that humans still exist on the moon, and if the androids (not yorha, just the collective android society) win both the war and discover that humans are dead all along, they would have lost their directive and sole reason of existence, because that is built into their programming. So the android illuminati that setup the YorHa initiative built a backdoor that allows the machine logic virus to infiltrate YorHa, wiping them out.

Then we have the whole A2 mercy killing 2B thing, and then 9S goes insane because not only did he discover that the war was meaningless all along, he lost his only other anchor to the world, 2B. Then we see A2 learning to love again or whatever with pascal, while 9S goes on a revenge mission because that's the only meaning he has left in this world. On the way we discovered that 2B was 2E all along, who was tasked with mindwiping (essentially killing) 9S whenever he gets too close to discovering the truth because that's how good he is, and that along with his love for her, there is also his deep-seated resentment of her destroying his memories, though he knew about that all along. We also learnt that 2E hated that part of the job too, but that is the only way she can stay close to him. Route A/B is basically another cycle of that relationship.

Then we go all the way to the tower, which is enacted by the machine consciousness to supposedly destroy the human server on the moon, but A2 is trying to stop it and 9S is just killing all machines because he's that far gone. Various things happened, in C A2 managed to destroy it somehow, in D we discovered that the machines repurposed the cannon to fire an ark so that machines can colonise another planet because they've evolved beyond their directive or whatever and don't feel the need to destroy humanity anymore, and E is basically that except we discovered that the machines, through communication, have also evolved beyond their directive and want to save the androids they've been caring for whole game, with Pod 042 earning Best Bro of the Year.

I'm missing a lot but I guess that covers some of it?

wamberz1

Just finished ending E

I have a question - what was with all the slideshow things in route B? There was one that was pretty obviously about the godzilla thing... but there were a few others that still don't make sense to me. The big one being "Every machine has an object that is different, but unique to them" or whatever.

Just finished ending E

I have a question - what was with all the slideshow things in route B? There was one that was pretty obviously about the godzilla thing... but there were a few others that still don't make sense to me. The big one being "Every machine has an object that is different, but unique to them" or whatever.

I took the "unique to them" that they were becoming more human like and trying to be different or having their own personality rather than just being another machine

Ruff

Just finished ending E

I find it stranger that 9S has a sort of vision/snippet of the "Become as gods" picture book while hacking the Bunker server, but we don't see the full thing until after the whole scene is finished. I don't think there's any way he could have known about what 2B was seeing at that point so was it not actually him speaking the lines, and it was stored in the bunker server ahead of time somehow? He didn't seem to know what he just heard. Confusing.

LotusHD

Banned

The Emil Boss fight is Ending Y. First you fight Emil after robbing something from his hideout, you will hurt his feelings greatly upon doing so. Then you have to get all the weapons in the game and upgrade them all to Lv4, allowing you to fight his copies in the desert for some feels.

As for Route C:

- They've reached an opportunity to decisively defeat the machines
- They go to do just that
- The YoRHA units get hit with a logic virus, including 2B
- The virus infects the virus, everyone there dies (RIP Operator 6O and Commander)
- It takes longer for 2B to fully succumb to it because 9S desynced her when she was halfway done
- Before succumbing to the infected YoRHA units that threatened to kill her, A2 shows up, kills them, and then mercy kills 2B and takes her memories
- 9S sees it, then falls into an abyss as the screen fades to black

---

- A2 meets 2B's pod, Pod 042, they get along well.
- She meets up with Anemone. Her backstory in the terminal details why she ended up defecting: The machine network found out the truth about Project YoRHa, and revealed it to her.
- She eventually meets Pascal. Shit happens, children died...

- 9S wakes up to Devola and Popola.
- A big tower shows up in the middle of the city ruins, with smaller towers appearing across the areas we've visited
- 9S goes into the other towers, finding out various info, such as Project Gestalt, that YoRHa units are pretty much identical to the machines due to the machine cores that compose them both
- One weird occurs where he's killing 2B in his memories, you could take this as a hint that he has known all along about 2B being 2E
- Fights Operator 21O, more feels occur, A2 kills her

- 9S makes his way back to the big tower, gets in with the help of Devola and Popola, who turn out to be actually good people after all
- You learn their backstory, that they were discriminated heavily due to the actions of the Devola and Popola from the first game, who colossally fucked up and ultimately failed to prevent humanity's extinction.
- 9S runs into a bunch of 2Bs, is a little too passionate about killing them. Perhaps that's yet another hint that he's aware of 2B killing him in the past, and it's a chance to vent.
- A2 runs into the machine network, who visualized itself as a girl in a red dress
- 9S also runs into it, and the network reveals what Project YoRHa is
- The machine network splits into two, with one side wanting to kill the androids already, while the other side wants to keep them around in order to advance their evolution, and so they fight

- A2 and 9S kill the twin robots, and find themselves on opposing sides. One wants to destroy the ark created by the machines, while the other just wants to destroy all the machines and A2
- 9S reveals what Project YoRHa is:

The war between the machines and androids is this one big cycle that's been going on forever. As in, whenever the androids reach a critical point where they're actually able to defeat the machines, they self-sabotage themselves, as defeating the machines would make them lose their reason for living since humanity has long been extinct. Every now and then, they do something new to shake things up. Project YoRHa is the latest example of that, in that once the androids were in a position to win, they'd open up a backdoor within the Bunker by which the logic virus could infiltrate and infect all the YoRHa units. So basically, nothing matters. On the machine side, they too possessed the ability to win the war, but they decided to not do just that because constantly fighting the androids allowed to them evolve at a much faster rate. So both sides... just refuse to truly put an end to the other side, thereby perpetuating an eternal war.

- A2 reveals that 2B is actually 2E, a special YoRHa unit designed to kill 9S whenever he finds out the truth of humanity's extinction. This revelation makes you look back at well, basically all of 2B's dialogue, mannerisms, etc. in a new light (Examples like her wanting to kill god, why only she adheres to not being emotional, etc.) 2B hated her lot in life, but she silently took on that burned.
- A2 also states that 9S already knew this though, he just did not want to admit to it

- They fight to the death, one is Ending C, one is Ending D

wamberz1

Ok, this seems dumb in retrospect, but I'm not gonna lie, I was reallllllllly expecting there to be a twist where the machine cores are actually gestalts or something. And that was the reason they acted like humans, and would explain that "every piece has its place" cut scene mentioned above. There was also that scene where 9s obliterated that core in the tower after it begged for help. None of that actually proves my theory in retrospect. I kinda just never bought into the whole aliens thing, seems too silly. Then again, this is NieR....

Ok, this seems dumb in retrospect, but I'm not gonna lie, I was reallllllllly expecting there to be a twist where the machine cores are actually gestalts or something. And that was the reason they acted like humans, and would explain that "every piece has its place" cut scene mentioned above. There was also that scene where 9s obliterated that core in the tower after it begged for help. None of that actually proves my theory in retrospect. I kinda just never bought into the whole aliens thing, seems too silly. Then again, this is NieR....

So you aren't wrong in your expectations.

The machines got all their previous knowledge fromt he gestalt project. So while they weren't directly gestalts you could in a way kinda say they were?

spiritfox

All this talking about ending D made me realized that the machines had already evolved to move on from their original programming while androids are still stuck worshipping dead gods. So who's the inferior species again?

wamberz1

Game was quite an emotional ride, but there was three moments in particular that got me

- The whole Pascal death/memory wipe scene

- O60 thanking me for the flowers

- O210 saying she just wanted a family as you kill her (especially after doing her side quests)

I'm reading through this thread right now and every page there is something
giphy.gif

Worthy. Gonna read through it tonight before bed but man right now I'm just gonna lay down for a bit, I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted.

wamberz1

Welp I'm up time to read through the thread
So, more thinking

Pascal. I'm starting to wonder if his tragedy is even worse...Like thats actually possible.

When the insane machines go to attack the A2, Pascal, and the children Pascal insists on helping, and his attitude finally changes. His pacifism fails.

See at this point I had expected a different outcome from Pascal. I figured the loss of his pacifism would directly relate to whatever tragedy was guaranteed to befall him at this point. However it did not. The children all killed themselves out of fear.

What if though my initial expectation was right. The children were taught fear and Pascal blamed himself for that, but what if its even worse. What if what they were truly afraid of was actually Pascal.

this was before he left the room
Welp time to go back to sleep

Is there anyone that saw that Pascal called himself a pacifist, and did not immediately assume something horrible was going to happen to him?
I just assumed terrible things were in store for everyone.

After Routes A/B I was thinking things probably wouldn't be so bad after all.

Then Route C happened.

I never really had much attachment to the YoRHa units though and I don't think the game, well, I don't want to say doesn't do a good enough job, but it doesn't establish them in a way that makes their own tragedies and revelations strong for me. Pascal though, Pascal did nothing wrong. Pascal just wanted his own little happy village. All Pascal does now is unwittingly sell me pieces of the corpses that were once his villagers.

Antiwhippy

Though a part of that irks me in that if they can learn to fear from pascal can't they also learn courage from him? I feel like he would have taught them about courage because of how he is.

Kaizer

Banned
-Big Summary-

-Big Summary-

Thanks for the summaries, great to get some clarification on the overall plot. Looks like I generally followed the plot pretty well, just needed to see it spelled out to fully comprehend everything that took place. Man, what a game - Yoko Taro is a genius! Looking back now, there were a lot of hints about 2B's true nature in the beginning of the game and the latter half of the story completely recontextualizes your initial playthrough of Route A with 2B & 9S.

As someone who never played the original Nier, I came into Automata with only a passing knowledge of what had happened through YouTube vides & Clemps analysis. I had played all of the Drakengard games though, but had never paid attention to who was behind the series (yes I know Taro didn't have anything to do with Drakengard 2 & that the plot is non-canon). I'd always made plans to eventually check out Nier due to how much attention I kept hearing about the game's final ending which required you to delete your save data - it sounded fucking insane. So after missing the boat with the OG Nier, the second this Automata was announced I knew I would get it Day One & boy am I glad I did.

Initially, when starting Automata, the game wasn't really grabbing me for the first 10 or so hours I dedicated to it. Part of that had to do with the lack of fast travel & also in part the initially drab sidequests you were going on. Around the time I got to the Amusement Park & soon after the Machine Village, the game began to sink it's emotional hooks into me.

Pascal became my favorite character in the game & I found myself doing sidequests not for their gameplay purposes but rather to see how the sidestory for the machine I was helping out would develop. I think one of the first sidequests to really effect me was the one where you have to escort the little kid robot home to his mother, her elation of getting her son back really resonated with me. Over time I began to really empathize with the majority of these machines, which really hit hard during Route B when you're given a deeper lens into the actual thought of some of the machines you steamrolled through in Route A.

My major takeaway from the plot of this game is that there's always the possibility for hope in what can be a hopeless situation if you have a companion or companions to look to. Twins, brothers/sisters, and relationships are all recurring motifs throughout the story that are used to illustrate this. I also really loved the metaphor of Project Yorha's true purpose being to give the android's a reason to live, much like religion serves in real life. The androids & machines my be locked in an eternal struggle but perhaps there's potential now, coming from Ending E that with their memories restored, 2B, A2, & 9S can begin to take the first steps towards breaking the vicious cycle they're trapped in.

I've got more questions & more to say, but those are my thoughts for now. Man, again, what a game. I couldn't be happier for the success Yoko Taro is finally seeing as well, I'm looking extremely forward to whatever he does next.

PBalfredo

I just assumed terrible things were in store for everyone.

After Routes A/B I was thinking things probably wouldn't be so bad after all.

Then Route C happened.

I never really had much attachment to the YoRHa units though and I don't think the game, well, I don't want to say doesn't do a good enough job, but it doesn't establish them in a way that makes their own tragedies and revelations strong for me. Pascal though, Pascal did nothing wrong. Pascal just wanted his own little happy village. All Pascal does now is unwittingly sell me pieces of the corpses that were once his villagers.

It was the opposite for me. I got really attached to the YoRHa crew. Mostly because after the intro sequence, I was expecting the organization to systemically treat all the androids as disposable cannon fodder. But once I got to the bunker, I found that most of the operators were genuinely concerned about the safety and well being of the androids they monitored. It was a nice humanizing touch and a twist on my expectation that really endeared me to them (later revelations about the Commander aside).

Although in the end, the joke was that YoRHa itself was the disposable entity.

Also, one of my key takeaways from the intro sequence was that 2B cares about the individual lives of androids, or at least of 9S, even though they can continue on after death with a replacement body. So seeing the operators care for their androids established a connection in my mind between 2B and YoRHa. That aspect probably doesn't play out as strongly as I first imagined, since 2B abhors what her duty to YoRHa forces her to do to 9S. Though it was still touching to see her befriend 6O, despite the mismatched personalities. Which just made the loss of YoRHa impact me more.

I like Pascal a lot, but this is a Yoko Taro game, so Pascal had a countdown to tragedy hanging over his head as visible as a Doom spell in Final Fantasy.

Maybe I'm a sucker for how much the game blindsides you with it but I love 2E/9S's relationship the most.

It's amazing how much the revelation recontextualizes and reveals about 2B through her actions in route A. At first I was a tad let down that Automata didn't have as much interaction between the party members as the original Nier crew, whom I love. But looking back on it now, the silence speaks volumes.

Wrapped up my platinum and went through all the intel and weapon stories.

A couple of them reference father Nier, which is odd as I thought it was the brother that was considered canon. Even the DLC costumes are based off the brother.

Antiwhippy

A couple of them reference father Nier, which is odd as I thought it was the brother that was considered canon. Even the DLC costumes are based off the brother.

I think both are referenced.

GrayChild

Finally got Ending E.

I'm gonna go cry in a corner now. Thank you, you wonderful anonymous human being who helped me.

1nfj4x.jpg

Every single time.

13ruce

Banned

This is what i can find online after a few google searches:
Yoko: Replicant and Gestalt are not parallel universes, but rather they fall into the world’'s pattern of repetition. Regarding the relationship with Yonah, sometimes they are siblings whereas others they are father and child. That is the reason for the discrepancy of time between the two versions of the game.

The Replicants Nier's story takes place 104 years after Gestalt Nier's story in the timeline, so it takes place in 3361 for Papa Nier and 3465 for Replicant Nier.

IIRC the references to father Nier were a change made in localization.

Ruff

This is what i can find online after a few google searches:

The Replicants Nier's story takes place 104 years after Gestalt Nier's story in the timeline, so it takes place in 3361 for Papa Nier and 3465 for Replicant Nier.

I don't think I buy that canon explanation, there is a lot of stuff in the timeline that could only happen once.

carda114

Has anyone here figured out what the deal is with the doll nailed to a tree in the Forest Zone? There's an accompanying picture but I can't see anything in it for the life of me. It's something that keeps bothering me.

i got it from that google doc that translates that nker grimoire japan got dunno if it is 100% accurate tho.
Wait what
As I recall, Nier: Gestalt and Replicant take place on two separate timelines, but ultimately have the same effect: leading to Automata.

I followed this game pretty much all the way from announcement to release. Saw a lot of concept art as a result.

My avatar's from concept art of the machine's skin being peeled ALLL the way off! Pretty clear resemblance there.

NieR-Automata_201606_ART_Enemy-Head_ONLINE.jpg
Nice.

Top Bottom