• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Krowley

Baryn said:
I :lol'd.

But seriously, is it just a ride through hoops with a limited ability to backtrack? Why does that make for such an awesome game? I never owned a Saturn, unfortunately.

I've talked to people about this before and apparently it's hypnotic and sort of psychadelic... You sort of zone out and go into a trance while you play it.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Drinky Crow said:
the original nights was an awful game (with a killer soundtrack), and this looks to keep the spirit of suckiness alive

drinkynights.jpg

Krowley said:
This may be true, which is why i'm reserving total judgement for now... It looks very wierd and it's hard to figure out what everything in the screenshots is supposed to be because everything is so abstract.

But it does look a little jaggy and extremly simple albeit colorful and interesting at the same time..

Also, since this is a screenshot thread, i don't see why graphics comments are suddenly trolling. People shouldn't be so ultra defensive.

its suppose to be abstract and surreal you are dealing with a world of dream and nightmares

for the people who missed the translation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5952947&postcount=80

Maztorre

Baryn said:
So is NiGHTS a shooter, a flying platformer, what?

Think Sonic meets 2D Ecco the Dolphin, in a 3D world. You have free flight along the x and y axes between the ceiling and floor of each stage. Each level consists of 4 courses which, like a racing game, loop back on themselves. The player's objective is to collect 20 blue orbs, used to overload a chamber positioned at some point along the course. After the chamber is overloaded you collect one of 4 coloured spheres used to complete the stage and teleport to the boss. However, overloading the chamber also activates a points multiplier. The points multiplier will last until you either finish that course or run out of time. The real depth in the game comes from balancing risk/reward by a) starting bonus time as quickly as possible, and b) amassing as many points as possible during the bonus time. This tends to result in mad dashes across a course to finish within the time limit, as well as clever use of NiGHTS dashing and loop-de-loop abilities to consecutively chain bonuses together (the game calls these Links).

n0b

starchild excalibur said:
maybe not miss the point of t he game, but overlook the importance of a game like this. You're hardly ever going to be seeing the character up close, and the number of particle effects, trippy color palettes and disorienting camera movements makes slight jagginess in nthe character models a non-issue.
So why not just say that the way the game is designed makes it difficult to show off in screens? It doesn't mean the graphics aren't important, it just means that the things screenshots are good for showing off are less important in this game than what we can't see right now. I'll be glad if it looks good in motion, but right now all we have to discuss is these screens that don't look that great.

I think GAF makes too many wild judgements when we know nothing.

I'm just happy this game is coming back and exclusively for wii. I mean, that is pretty huge news for gamers. I remember hearing people asking for a sequel before Gamecube even came out. This could be awesome. Flying with the wii-mote could prove to be very fun.

Baryn said:
I :lol'd.

But seriously, is it just a ride through hoops with a limited ability to backtrack? Why does that make for such an awesome game? I never owned a Saturn, unfortunately.

All right... Each stage has four sections to it. To clear each section, you have to fly around the map and collect 20 chips, bring those chips to a cage that is holding an orb to release said orb, and return the orb to your starting point. You're awarded points for how fast you do this in a 2-minute time limit (2 minutes per section, mind you). Do it four times to reach the boss of the stage.

Where NiGHTS comes into its awesomeness is that you don't have to immediately return the orb to your starting point. If you can imagine the starting point being the pit of a racing track, you can avoid it entirely and stay on the track for the remainder of your time each section and continue to rack up points by collecting more chips and doing various other things. While collecting the orb isn't necessary to go another lap around, it's preferred since having it in your possession kicks in the 2X points multiplier.

You have to return the orb back to the starting point before the two minutes are up, or bad things happen.

After clearing all four sections of the stage, your points from each section are added together and you take on the boss in another 2-minute trial. The faster you take out the boss, the higher your score multiplier for the stage will be. You can earn up to 2.0x the sum of your score from the four sections you played through earlier.

If you don't appreciate score attacks, this ain't for you. :)

edit: :lol@junkwaffle <3 <3

Owzers

Weird circus lvl looks okay graphically but splash garden looks average for a PS2 game. Still excited that it's actually coming though.

No6

Krowley said:
I've talked to people about this before and apparently it's hypnotic and sort of psychadelic... You sort of zone out and go into a trance while you play it.
It's a game that was, for it's time, very visually advanced and had excellent music and relied on both to get around the somewhat lackluster gameplay, which is why I find it so funny that people are crapping on the "gfx trolls". Nights is like a precurser to Rez in that both are very heavily scripted experiences, Nights specifically punishing both exploration and going against the "intended" path. Strong A/V is critical to the Nights experience.

No6 said:
It's a game that was, for it's time, very visually advanced and had excellent music and relied on both to get around the somewhat lackluster gameplay, which is why I find it so funny that people are crapping on the "gfx trolls". Nights is like a precurser to Rez in that both are very heavily scripted experiences, Nights specifically punishing both exploration and going against the "intended" path.

I think how they use the wiimote to control this game is it's make or break. Not graphics/sound.

Pimpbaa said:
Why are people getting hyped for this? I want this to be good, but it's Sonic Team USA people.

This isn't like an annual Sonic game. They will probably treat this one carefully. As far as I know, all of the 'comeback' genres Sonic has handled have been good.

drohne said:
i don't see the wii version controlling well because it's wii. though come to think of it, a wii version might very well have nice music.
LOL Trolls GTFO.

I agree with the fact that the graphics aren't where they could be, but have you seen the Wii's top sellers? None of them are graphics intense apart from Zelda and that was built on GC hardware, no real Wii game has come out to push the system graphically apart from Mario and that's still a ways off.

The point I'm trying to make is that this game is still in development so it shouldn't be expected to look amazing right off the bat. Games go through a lot of changes(see twilight realm to new twilight realm).

Cut the hate and let the developers do their work. If it turns out like EA then you can bitch but till then calm the hell down and wait.

To those of you saying I'm trolling this game, you do realize that you're implying that you think the graphics are good, right? I can understand stylistic preferences but I can't see how what I said could possibly be construed as controversial. I've said nothing about the gameplay seeing as how I don't know how the controls will work and I don't understand Portugese so I'm left with the graphics and the art. Art preferences aside the modelling could've been better, he/she doesn't look any more detailed than the groups you'd play as in Sonic Heroes and that was a GC/Xbox/PS2 game from early 2004. Gameplay may be the most important aspect of a game but why are we barred from even mentioning it when it comes to DS/Wii games? Hell, plenty of people complained about the graphics in the Castlevania remake on the PSP. Were they all trolls too?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Proof once again that art direction >>>>>> technology. Looks a lot more appealing to me than the muddy GTA IV, for instance. Plus the original was such an excellent game. Definitely makes me glad we've got a Wii.

ethelred

typhonsentra said:
To those of you saying I'm trolling this game, you do realize that you're implying that you think the graphics are good, right? I can understand stylistic preferences but I can't see how what I said could possibly be construed as controversial.

From what we can see of the fairly blurry scans, yes, I think the game looks very good.

djtiesto said:
Proof once again that art direction >>>>>> technology. Looks a lot more appealing to me than the muddy GTA IV, for instance. Plus the original was such an excellent game. Definitely makes me glad we've got a Wii.

How the hell can you even try to compare the two?

ant1532

Banned
Doubting the online Nights multiplayer but great news nonetheless. It's more NiGHTS!!!

Graphics are alright, could be a lot better though even for Wii.

But I really think people don't know how bad NiGHTS on Saturn looks nowadays.

Rocked

Drinky Crow said:
1. the boss battles were pure rubbish, with the giant space fish and the cat throwing mouse bombs being the most confusing and uncontrollable.

2. the graphics flayed the eyes, they were so awful.

3. who the **** wants to play as a creepy flying clown helping a pair of down's kids?

4. looping for times/scores got old really ****in' quick, and the silly environmental "puzzles" that occasionally impeded the looping/dashing were random and poorly incorporated

5. wandering about a busted landscape as a clumsy kid was a huge-ass waste of time, and had very little to do with the core mechanic

it was just an embarrassing mash-up of suck. if the 2D sequences had been better designed with more techniques and featured better integration of environmental obstacles -- and of course didn't punish you by makingyou wander about as a creepy kid when you failed -- it mighta been fun. taking you out of the core mechanics to solve a puzzle boss encumbered with some of the worst camera work and 3d graphics ever was just double-plus insult to injury.

nights is just revolting as far as characters go, though.

rt2qyzrm0.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Anyway...

Is NiGHTS really a he? I mean, "it" does really look like a she, and I don't want to call it a he, but for the sake of knowing it, tell me:

HE or SHE?

canocha

Kilrogg said:
Anyway...

Is NiGHTS really a he? I mean, "it" does really look like a she, and I don't want to call it a he, but for the sake of knowing it, tell me:

HE or SHE?

When you play as Claire, NiGHTS is a girl (a light purple) when you play as Elliot, NiGHTS is a boy (a darker purple.

You can actually see the diference fighting the last boss! :)

Maybe i'm wrong :lol :lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
canocha said:
When you play as Claire, NiGHTS is a girl (a light purple) when you play as Elliot, NiGHTS is a boy (a darker purple.

Either way, it's a she to me, but thanks :).

canocha said:

Don't type that outloud! You will summon Jerry Falwell!

n0b said:
So why not just say that the way the game is designed makes it difficult to show off in screens? It doesn't mean the graphics aren't important, it just means that the things screenshots are good for showing off are less important in this game than what we can't see right now. I'll be glad if it looks good in motion, but right now all we have to discuss is these screens that don't look that great.

Like amir0x said, graphics are important. I just get tired of all the blowing out proportion of graphics in the case of some games. NiGHTS is on Wii, not 360, not PS3. This doesn't mean you can't create beautiful games like Mario Galaxy, but it does mean that making a big deal out of some jaggies in still screenshots of such a psychadelic game like NiGHTS is ultimately saying nothing.

I am excited about the game Nights 2 coming on the Wii. I loved the game on the Saturn. I can't believe people on this forum are griping about the graphics, oh wait, I can believe it, this Neo GAF. The more graphics whore trolls great games like this, the more I want Wii to win this generation. I hope Sega makes more games like this. Who needs Yuji Naka. The game looks great, and the people who say this look like Dreamcast level, you People are crazy.

meppi

Kilrogg said:
HE or SHE?
NiGHTS doesn't have a gender. It's not even explained what kind of being he, she or it is.

I have always seen NiGHTS as more of a female than a male though. ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That looks really nice! Can't wait to see how it moves and how it's played. Should be great on Wii given the games original concept.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
meppi said:
NiGHTS doesn't have a gender. It's not even explained what kind of being he, she or it is.

I have always seen NiGHTS as more of a female than a male though. ;)

Ok, so, a she, period.

Top Bottom