• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
"There can be miracles, when you believe".:) It is cool after years of begging and pleading to Sonic Team, a sequel to Nights is finally a reality. The Wii is a good console fit considering how the original played but it saddens me that Yuji Naka will not be involved with it. Oh well.

bridegur

Graphically it looks just okay (the character model looks like something from a DC game), but the character art itself looks really... 1996. Still exciting, however.

This is the best thing since sliced bread... sliced bread having been invented a bit earlier with Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm a super fan of the original as it was perhaps the best "arcade-like" 3-D generation/platform-esque game ever invented. It was a game that was just pure fun that you would play for the enjoyment of playing and could measure your skill increasing by improving your scores.

It was a shame that the original was on a doomed platform (the Saturn) and was released in the shadow of one of the biggest and best games of all time - Super Mario 64. History has a sense of irony and after all these years of waiting, could the return of the underdog NiGHTS be again tranished by the return of 3D Mario magnificence?

In the end, gamers should be thankful because we look like we've got two genre definining games approaching.

Thanks to Sega for bringing my most wanted sequel from imagination to reality.

I can't wait to see this in motion and learn how the waggle wand will be used.

MAZYORA

Kunai said:
I don't think that Iizuka was the original creator. I think that Nights original idea was co-creation with Naoto Oshima and Yuji Naka. Also the game was directed by Naoto Oshima, who was also Nights Designer.

Iizuka was the Lead Game Designer, but he had a excellent team, but right now Sonic Team really sucks, Heroes, Shadow, Sonic Next...

Naka was the creator and director of Nights. Naoto Oshima was the lead character designer. Takashi Lizuka was the lead level designer. I have the next generation magazine from '96 with interviews from them and their specific job titles in the game.

ant1532

Banned
BlindN-Fan said:
Include the first game on a second Disc and its win win.
They would have to update the graphics unless they are ready to wreck the memories of people who haven't played NiGHTS since 96. That game aged SOOOO BAD. So bad.

Lobster

Banned
ant1532 said:
They would have to update the graphics unless they are ready to wreck the memories of people who haven't played NiGHTS since 96. That game aged SOOOO BAD. So bad.

But that would be one of the reasons why the price wouldn't be +.

ant1532 said:

I still play it every Xmas, at the very least. Some of the busier parts look like total ass, but it's colorful and for Saturn 3D, not totally without merit. Boss stages generally still look great.

farnham said:
oh god.. endless discussion.. which game is better galaxy or nights 2..?

You know, I'll have to check with the bosses, but I'm pretty sure you're allowed to own/play both. I'll get back to you soon with an answer though.

Chao

bigmakstudios said:
If this is real (yes, I'm still not sure), do you think we'll get a trailer when Sega officially announces it?

That would be around 2009, when Dreamcast 2 launches. We'll have to look at these scans until then.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
lo me dío un boner.

Did I say what I think I just said or is my Spanish incredibly rusty? How would someone write that sentence correctly?

I bought the Nights/controller pack new for $20 two years ago, so I think I'll give it another go this weekend.

ElFly

This should be released on the PS3!

NiGHTS deserves true next gen visuals!

It would look like this

nextgenmn4.jpg

Eteric Rice

ElFly said:

It would look like this

nextgenmn4.jpg

I don't know if I should be pissed at you, or laugh at that pic.

I'll laugh, it's less violent.

:lol

Chao

Barf_the_Mog said:
lo me dío un boner.

Did I say what I think I just said or is my Spanish incredibly rusty? How would someone write that sentence correctly?

I bought the Nights/controller pack new for $20 two years ago, so I think I'll give it another go this weekend.

If you're trying to say you had an erection there are several ways to say that in spanish:

Se me ha puesto dura
Estoy empalmado
Se me ha puesto morcillona
Tengo las venas de la polla que parecen espárragos
Estoy listo para bombearte amor entre las patas

etc.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Chao said:
If you're trying to say you had an erection there are several ways to say that in spanish:

Se me ha puesto dura
Estoy empalmado
Se me ha puesto morcillona
Tengo las venas de la polla que parecen espárragos
Estoy listo para bombearte amor entre las patas

etc.

Hmmmm....but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's not inccorect, right? Like, as if I were speaking like a 5 year old....about boners.

Lo = It
me = because it's reflexsive (correct?)
dío = dar = to give, in the preterite

Edit: To make this less off-topic, the picture above actually captures the feel of Nights. These current screens look TOO similar to the Saturn game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ElFly said:

It would look like this

nextgenmn4.jpg
OMG! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

^5s YOU WIN NEXT-GEN! SO FUCKING AWESOME!

farnham said:
EAD TOKYO
Yeah we know awesome ain't it? Their track record is Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat since EAD Tokyo didn't exist when Sunshine was made.

Christopher

Drinky Crow said:
the original nights was an awful game (with a killer soundtrack), and this looks to keep the spirit of suckiness alive

only now it won't be such a cult game and it will exposed to more.

Wow, I cant believe its actually real. Too bad the art is really bad. Hopefully the game gets polished a lot. Who is working on it?

Sho Nuff said:
I am incredibly worried about this. What was Iizuka's last good game?

NiGHTS, apparently. Though that was "Lead Game Design", not as director...

Personal feelings: happy it exists, ambivalent about the team creating it. I'd like to have faith, but I'd rather go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised.

GhaleonEB

Goddamn. That is BEAUTIFUL.

I'll probably end up with a Wii for my wife, but hot damn I'll own that.

<3 NiGHTS

(props for correct capitalization in the thread title)

GhaleonEB said:
Goddamn. That is BEAUTIFUL.

I'll probably end up with a Wii for my wife, but hot damn I'll own that.

<3 NiGHTS

(props for correct capitalization in the thread title)

You aren't worried about the team making it? I can't help but think the pedigree that the original NiGHTS carries is ill-spent on the same team that did Shadow the Hedgehog, even if the director of this game was "Lead Game Design" on NiGHTS.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

GhaleonEB

Dragona Akehi said:
You aren't worried about the team making it? I can't help but think the pedigree that the original NiGHTS carries is ill-spent on the same team that did Shadow the Hedgehog, even if the director of this game was "Lead Game Design" on NiGHTS.

Heh, I was just reacting to the OP since I'm running out the door now. Expectations properly tempered. It would be a shame if this game didn't capture the spirit and feel of the original. I think that feeling was joy.

Yagharek

Dragona Akehi said:

I have similar concerns, but by the same token am reminded that the director of Hellboy also directed Pan's Labyrinth. So long as the dev team has the time, resources and stay true to the original - there is hope. :)

Top Bottom