• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Waimea

Speaking about portuguese stuff, just been to Game Stage in Almada Forum (Lisbon area) and there's lots of Wii release lists hanging all over the place, some very unexpected stuff, dunno what their source is, probably Concentra, which is Nintendo's local Distributor. Anyway, I couldn't memorize it all, but Smash Brothers was listed as June 21st... take it with a large grain of salt...

Tailzo

Wow, that looks very nice. I can't wait to try the game. I have my Saturn hooked up, but it'll be interesting to see how the wii-remote will change the game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I saw the interview and started crying because it confirmed Sega USA. Why are developers half-assing their efforts on Wii even with bigger projects? :(

Eteric Rice

jj984jj said:
I saw the interview and started crying because it confirmed Sega USA. Why are developers half-assing their efforts on Wii even with bigger projects? :(

It really depends on who directs the game. The devs may be Sega USA, but they have to go in the direction they're told to go.

Sonic the Hedgehog's direction was made by someone who obviously masturbates to beastiality.

Eteric Rice said:
It really depends on who directs the game. The devs may be Sega USA, but they have to go in the direction they're told to go.

Sonic the Hedgehog's direction was made by someone who obviously masturbates to beastiality.

The game is being directed by the same guy who directed the original NiGHTS, so no problems there!

AniHawk

Nuclear Muffin said:
The game is being directed by the same guy who directed the original NiGHTS, so no problems there!

Takeshi Iizuka, the guy in the interview, worked on the console Pokemon games. The ****.

...Or it's likely they meant Takashi Iizuka and made a small typo. He actually works at Sega. He was the lead game designer on the original NiGHTS.

On the other hand, he directed Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic Adventure 2.

tribal24

Banned
hmm they look ok but i was kinda expecting more im a big nights fan and know gameplay is important but it should look better-_-

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AniHawk said:
Takeshi Iizuka, the guy in the interview, worked on the Pokemon console games. The ****.

Soo:

SA2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow

Anything else? :lol

edit: Wrong game credit on Pokemon.

Who directed Nights? It's commonly called "Naka's game," but I see Ohshima credits on Wiki.

All the nagging finally paid off, Sega fans! Next up, Jet Set Radio 3. If we start bothering them about it now, we might get it 2017!

Drinky Crow said:
1. the boss battles were pure rubbish, with the giant space fish and the cat throwing mouse bombs being the most confusing and uncontrollable.

2. the graphics flayed the eyes, they were so awful.

3. who the **** wants to play as a creepy flying clown helping a pair of down's kids?

4. looping for times/scores got old really ****in' quick, and the silly environmental "puzzles" that occasionally impeded the looping/dashing were random and poorly incorporated

5. wandering about a busted landscape as a clumsy kid was a huge-ass waste of time, and had very little to do with the core mechanic

it was just an embarrassing mash-up of suck. if the 2D sequences had been better designed with more techniques and featured better integration of environmental obstacles -- and of course didn't punish you by makingyou wander about as a creepy kid when you failed -- it mighta been fun. taking you out of the core mechanics to solve a puzzle boss encumbered with some of the worst camera work and 3d graphics ever was just double-plus insult to injury.

nights is just revolting as far as characters go, though.

DrinkyCrow's NiGHTS bash crits your inner child for 91298525.
Your inner child dies.

:'(
Maybe I could understand if you didn't play it until last gen or something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AniHawk said:
Turns out that was a ****up on their part, which led to a ****up on my part.

Yeah, I'm confused.

Wiki said:
NiGHTS was developed by Sonic Team, with Yuji Naka as producer and lead programmer, and Naoto Oshima as director and designer of the titular character.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Soo:

SA2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow

Anything else? :lol

edit: Wrong game credit on Pokemon.

Who directed Nights? It's commonly called "Naka's game," but I see Ohshima credits on Wiki.

Ohshima was director. Naka was producer. Iizuka was lead game designer.

meppi

Executive Producer
Hayao Nakayama

Executive Management
Shoichiro Irimajiri

Producer
Yuji Naka

Director
Naoto Ohshima

Product Manager
Youji Ishii

Lead Programmer
Yuji Naka

Senior Programmers
Takahiro Hamano
Takuya Matsumoto

Programmers
Akio Setsumasa
Yasuhiro Takahashi
Yasuhiro Watanabe
Atsutomo Nakagawa

A-Life Programmer
Tetsu Katano

Lead Game Designer
Takashi Iizuka

Senior Game Designer
Takeshi Niimura
Yuji Saito

Character Designer
Kazuyuki Hoshino

NiGHTS' Designer
Naoto Oshima

A-Life Character Designers
Toshiko Okano
Hideaki Moriya
Tohru Watanuki

Artists
Tomonori Dobashi
Namie Manabe
Hiroki Okabara

World Artists
Takumi Miyake
Shigeru Okada
You Nishiyama
Shinichi Higashi
Ryo Kudo

CG Movie Director
Norihiro Nishiyama

CG Movie Artists
Norihiro Nishiyama
Masahiro Kumono
Hiroshi Nakatani
Motomu Hayashi
Mika Okada
Yumiko Miyabe
Miho Takayanagi
Saori Wada
Nobuhiko Honda

Visual Material Editors
Hidehiro Kumagai
Masato Yoshioka

Chief Sound Designer
Yukifumi Makino

Compose and Arrange
Naofumi Hataya
Tomoko Sasaki
Fumie Kumatani

Lyrics
Tomoko Sasaki
Wornell Jones

Vocals
Jasmine Ann Allen (Claris Sinclair)
Cameron Earl Strother (Elliot Edwards)
Curtis King Jr.
Dana Calitri

Sound Effects
Fumie Kumatani
Tatsuya Kousaki
Saori Kobayashi

Sound Programmer
Atsumu Miyazawa

Special Thanks
Manabu Kusunoki
Yoshiaki Kashima
Tohru Mita
Yuji Sawairi

M3d10n

The original NiGHTs game was also undecipherable on still screens. In motion things were completely different, as the constant scrolling and rotating created an amazing sense of depth.

NiGHTs 2 suffers from the same problem (can't understand the screens), and that can be a good sign...

But yeah, they could use a little more polygons on NiGHTs himself/herself/itself. But there is still time (or maybe they'll have so much shit going on the screen they are preemptively optimizing?).

Namomura

Mmm... the French are saying April's Fool...

In France April's Fool is called April Fish, children fool their friends by taping a paper fish to their friends' backs :lol

Krowley

M3d10n said:
The original NiGHTs game was also undecipherable on still screens. In motion things were completely different, as the constant scrolling and rotating created an amazing sense of depth.

NiGHTs 2 suffers from the same problem (can't understand the screens), and that can be a good sign...

But yeah, they could use a little more polygons on NiGHTs himself/herself/itself. But there is still time (or maybe they'll have so much shit going on the screen they are preemptively optimizing?).

I just looked a few screens over and you're right that the original does look better in motion. (much much better)

The fact that Amirox is not enraged makes me think that this must not look as ugly as it seems to me. He knows Nights, and i definitly don't...

In the context of a Nights game, perhaps these screens are pretty decent. Maybe sega should put a video of the game out soon so that we can all understand...

thefro

You can't really judge the graphics properly until we see video in motion, or at least some direct-feed stills instead of scans of a magazine. Many of those scans are blown up to a much higher resolution than they will display on the Wii.

We also don't know how far along the game is.

Namomura

well people @ JF are saying it's just an april's fool joke because the French traditionally celebrated this holiday by placing a paper fish on the back of their friends. Funny.

The graphics aren't great, not even for the Wii, but they're definitely not bad, either. They're above-average Gamecube level. And you can be fairly sure that they'll improve before development is complete.

So much bitching over nothing.

The images look a bit stretched anyway. And hell, everything you see of Wii/Gamecube games end up looking better on TV. Nintendo release awful screenshots of good looking games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, this might actually be a rare spot of great news for Sega/NiGHTS fans. Any word on the developer?

aeolist

Banned
What the hell? The graphics look about the same as Sonic Wii. In fact it looks very much like they're using the same engine.

Mr. Smith

whats going one here? a few days ago, noone was beliving that there will be a new nights game. and now we have one an everybody is complaining. just be happy and let it be. this looks like the nights we all know, and that is absolutly ok with me

Muppet345

:lol @ Segata in this thread.

These screens are excellent and leave nothing to complain about. No surprise to see trolls roaming the thread downplaying this game.

Grecco

Mr. Smith said:
whats going one here? a few days ago, noone was beliving that there will be a new nights game. and now we have one an everybody is complaining. just be happy and let it be. this looks like the nights we all know, and that is absolutly ok with me

Everybody is complaining cause its on the Wii and not the PS3. Like everything on this board. Its full of Sonybots.

meppi

For the people doubting how well this game will relate to the original, this might not convince them about how the game will play, but it certainly looks right.
Who knows, if they can get the style and looks just right, gameplay and level structure can be matched as well?

Well, I hope so anyway.

ni.jpg

Senretsu

If this is true I never thought I'd see the day!

I'm going to call April Fools on this one. Those screenshots look like they're from the dreamcast.

ivysaur12

Banned
My own problem with the graphics is NiGHTS's character model, but I'll leave that until the videos.

But seriously, I'm just so stoked this game is even coming. It might not sell Wiis, but it sure as hell is going to make the hardcore crowd happy.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Koshiro

NiGHTS model is poly-starved, FIX IT. Even on the Saturn, it looked properly rounded through trickery or whatever. It just looks a bit cheap there. Colour scheme and environment and stuff look ok though. I guess we'll know when we see some video and high-res screens.

Yes. **** yes. >_> And I was actually doubting the rumors for a while.

57421520070330_180008_1_big.jpg

What do the captions say about Christmas NiGHTS and the original? Is a remake going to be included? If so, yay. That would be so awesome.

Top Bottom