• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Krowley

Dragona Akehi said:
You aren't worried about the team making it? I can't help but think the pedigree that the original NiGHTS carries is ill-spent on the same team that did Shadow the Hedgehog, even if the director of this game was "Lead Game Design" on NiGHTS.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Maybe he's a really talented guy that was never given enough time to finish a game properly.

From what i've hears sonic ps360 and shadow were both extremly unpolished and that's usually caused by rushing things.

If they give him time to make this, maybe he can deliver.

vala said:
From the director of SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG???? O.O

me said:
Guys, I can indeed confirm this because I am in fact, as many have suspected, Yuji Naka. NiGHTS 2: Ths Time Its Personal will be coming out in 2008 for the Xbox 360 and will be made by the same people that brought you such masterpieces as Shadow the Hedgehog and Shadow the Hedgehog 2 (coming for both next gen systems late 2007).

I bolded the parts that I, Yuji Naka, got right. And to think that no one belived I was him, I mean me.

Terrell

drohne said:
shrug. i'm not a huge nights fan, but i do like saturn a lot, and i don't want to see one of saturn's defining games martyred to 'early effort on novelty controller' syndrome. perhaps wii developers will eventually come to grips with motion controls -- or acquire the discipline to forgo them when they aren't appropriate -- but i think it's safe to expect some wackiness here.
saturn_controller.jpg

Remember when this was a novelty control scheme? Well... it was for the Saturn, at least, but Nintendo sure did seem to make it work out.

typhonsentra said:
To those of you saying I'm trolling this game, you do realize that you're implying that you think the graphics are good, right?
No, we're implying that the game is early in development, the screens are from magazine scans, most people are excited for visual confirmation of the rumors more than anything, and that you're bringing something to the discussion that no one BUT you and other well-known trolls are discussing. When drohne and Drinky Crow are discussing the same thing as you, expect to be lumped in there with them. Ain't fair, but... them's the breaks.

Oblivion said:
When is this supposed to be out? They could improve the graphics by the time it releases.
SHHHHH, that makes logical sense, that has no place here, didn't anyone ever tell you that?! :lol

Anyways, on the subject at hand, if the level designer is at the helm here, at least we can feel confident that the game should play really well and faithful to the original NiGHTS gameplay model. I am much in agreement with Iizuka's track record being due to being put at the helm of Sonic cash-in projects that had no real thought put into them... maybe we'll see something genuinely cool here, as Sega will want to polish this game to the hilt.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I high hopes for this game, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat kind of share the same type of gameplay focus with Nights (score based platformer) and I loved the crap out of it.

so we'll see.

JDSN

Banned
Maybe the game has been in development for a long time, I mean, we have been hearing those rumors about a NiGHTS Wii for months.

While I understand the reservations people have for NiGHTS when considering the last batch of Sonic games, you have to take a pretty big leap to come to the conclusion that NiGHTS will fall prey to Poochie Syndrome and unpolished rush job cash-ins as Sonic did. Maybe if this one sells insanely well and they announce new NiGHTS projects to be released roughly every year from here on, we can start to worry. Then you have to look at the differences in gameplay staples between NiGHTS and Sonic: NiGHTS in its current form requires nothing more than the analogue stick and pressing one button on a 2D playing field. Sonic's gameplay is considerably more complicated (often not for the better). Finally, in terms of presentation: NiGHTS is strictly "fantasy dreamworld," while Sonic (again, much like its gameplay) has an identity crisis. Overall, this is not unlike the jolt of fear most people around here had when they heard Artoon was working on YI2. If YI's gameplay was originally about time-manipulation and vaccuuming, then I would've been right there crying with the rest of you.

I have the utmost faith this new NiGHTS will deliver.

SonSon2

SEGATA SANSHIRO, on behalf of GAF for your superhuman feats of strength in this thread, I present:

SEGATA.gif

THE OFFICIAL SEGATA SANSHIRO MARK OF OVERWHELMING AND FIERCE CONDUCT BADGE OF HONOR

Attack You said:
While I understand the reservations people have for NiGHTS when considering the last batch of Sonic games, you have to take a pretty big leap to come to the conclusion that NiGHTS will fall prey to Poochie Syndrome and unpolished rush job cash-ins as Sonic did. Maybe if this one sells insanely well and they announce new NiGHTS projects to be released roughly every year from here on, we can start to worry. Then you have to look at the differences in gameplay staples between NiGHTS and Sonic: NiGHTS in its current form requires nothing more than the analogue stick and pressing one button on a 2D playing field. Sonic's gameplay is considerably more complicated (often not for the better). Finally, in terms of presentation: NiGHTS is strictly "fantasy dreamworld," while Sonic (again, much like its gameplay) has an identity crisis. Overall, this is not unlike the jolt of fear most people around here had when they heard Artoon was working on YI2. If YI's gameplay was originally about time-manipulation and vaccuuming, then I would've been right there crying with the rest of you.

I have the utmost faith this new NiGHTS will deliver.

heres what you arent realizing:

there was a point where sonic was just as simple as nights. press right and hit a button to jump. also, there was a time where the sonic universe did not have an identity crisis; where the art style was unique and consistent and everything just made sense.

what changed all this was when sonic team tried to make sonic 3d, or "next-gen." instead of making either a true-to-form 3d realization of sonic or a new interpretation of sonic that keeps true to its roots, they released sonic adventure. the game stripped away the 2d sonic's awesome art style, music, and simple gameplay. instead it turned into a game that takes place in a modern day city with ****ing fishing and treasure hunting.

the reason people are worried about nights is because the same thing might happen, ESPECIALLY when the nights 2 creator is going on about "new features" and stuff. its totally reasonable to doubt nights 2.

Francois the Great said:
heres what you arent realizing:

there was a point where sonic was just as simple as nights. press right and hit a button to jump. also, there was a time where the sonic universe did not have an identity crisis; where the art style was unique and consistent and everything just made sense.

what changed all this was when sonic team tried to make sonic 3d, or "next-gen." instead of making either a true-to-form 3d realization of sonic or a new interpretation of sonic that keeps true to its roots, they released sonic adventure. the game stripped away the 2d sonic's awesome art style, music, and simple gameplay. instead it turned into a game that takes place in a modern day city with ****ing fishing and treasure hunting.

the reason people are worried about nights is because the same thing might happen, ESPECIALLY when the nights 2 creator is going on about "new features" and stuff. its totally reasonable to doubt nights 2.

I'm fully aware of what Sonic used to be, but that's precisely my point. NiGHTS can't go from Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic '06 in one fell swoop, not looking the way it does now. If you go back and look at Sonic through the years, you can see the mish-mash in presentation gradually blossom into a full blown identity crisis. You guys want to doubt NiGHTS 2 because of NiGHTS into Dreams, that's fine. Doubting NiGHTS 2 because of Sonic is just horrendously off-base. Sonic may have screwed up in some aspects of the gameplay when it went to 3D, as well, but NiGHTS is already in "3D" -- it's not going to play startlingly different from its original form on Saturn.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yama said:
Yep, pretty much my reaction. :) :(
Actually they gave it to the best person willing to take the sequel on, Artoon and Prope aren't willing to do the title so obviously the Lead Designer of the last game was the only person who could make it. If anything the reaction should go. :D :( :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jj984jj said:
Actually they gave it to the best person willing to take the sequel on, Artoon and Prope aren't willing to do the title so obviously the Lead Designer of the last game was the only person who could make it. If anything the reaction should go. :D :( :)

There needs to be a "hopeful" smiley. Like "I'm happy it's coming, but I hope it doesn't suck" smiley.

FightyF

Banned
Aw man.

I'm pretty disappointed. I know the Wii is capable of more, as far as graphics go.

A game like this should look on par with Mario Galaxy.

So before anyone says "early state this" and "early state that"...I think we can all agree that Mario Galaxy looked pretty impressive despite being at an early state.

NiGHTS should look like CG.

Francois the Great said:
hey, it took me a while to get rid of that hat, and you dont even notice? lawlz
Took the freedom to "improve" upon your creative vision, presenting Nights: Act Zero for X360:

nights360vp3.jpg

Eteric Rice

Fight for Freeform said:
Aw man.

I'm pretty disappointed. I know the Wii is capable of more, as far as graphics go.

A game like this should look on par with Mario Galaxy.

So before anyone says "early state this" and "early state that"...I think we can all agree that Mario Galaxy looked pretty impressive despite being at an early state.

NiGHTS should look like CG.

This is why Nintendo, Capcom, and Konami need to make the games for everyone. They seem to be the only ones that can make things pretty.

dewys-adventure-screens-20070201014252103.jpg

dewys-adventure-screens-20070201014305025.jpg

dewys-adventure-screens-20070201014305931.jpg

One thing is for sure, the Wii is really seperating those who are good at making this stuff, from those who are not.

fernoca

I don't know why some are complaining about the team that is making the game..

After all, Yuji Naka's Sonic Team aside of great games like NiGHTs, Burning Rangers and the classic Sonic games; was also responsible for destroying the Sonic that we knew (with Sonic Adventure..Sonic Adventure 2..etc..)...so is not like he being there was going to make a difference..with NiGHTs 2...

Heck, it probably would have ended as an adventure game, with some town/hub that you talk to people and go inside their minds/dream....and misc. characters as forced sidekicks.....or something.

:D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
fernoca said:
I don't know why some are complaining about the team that is making the game..

After all, Yuji Naka's Sonic Team aside of great games like NiGHTs, Burning Rangers and the classic Sonic games; was also responsible for destroying the Sonic that we knew (with Sonic Adventure..Sonic Adventure 2..etc..)...so is not like he being there was going to make a difference..with NiGHTs 2...

Heck, it probably would have ended as an adventure game, with some town/hub that you talk to people and go inside their minds/dream....and misc. characters as forced sidekicks.....or something.

:D

Who is to say it's not like that now?

DUN DUN DUN!

=)

NiGHTS looks pretty nice if you think of it as merely an anti-aliased Saturn game. At least its faithful to the original.

*cough*

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
If this game stays 2.5D it'll be fine. If I hear some bs about expanding the non-Nights 3D portions I'm out. Those parts were so dumb I completely forgot they existed until today.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Unison said:
exclusivo Wii
exclusivo Wii
exclusivo Wii
Come. Let us frolic like children of the night.

Lobster

Banned
chibcicylist said:
I wish Konami would announce more Wii stuff. They are on the right track.

You could say that. But then you could read one of their interviews where they state that the Wii is a kids console.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AlternativeUlster said:
I wish Konami was making the NiGHTS game.

Well, Capcom made five copies of Castlevania. Konami needs to follow suit and make 10 copies of NiGHTS!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wollan said:
How about a sidescrolling Nights using the engine and features of LittleBigPlanet (on PS3 obviously)? Sega?
I'm sure Sega is ballin'
no
to that.

farnham said:
EAD TOKYO

It's still EAD and their track record includes DKJB (Only half of the team members are made up of the Mario Sunshine team, the rest are fresh blood) which is one of the most creative and fun games ever made!

I'm liking the look of it so far, seems very faithful to the original NiGHTS. Remains cautiously optimistic :)

ElFly said:
This should be released on the PS3!

NiGHTS deserves true next gen visuals!

It would look like this

nextgenmn4.jpg

That actually does look next gen as well :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom