• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Rlan

Here are some comparison shots, from Christman NiGHTS:

nights1nl8.jpg

nights2zo3.jpg

nights3bh1.jpg

nights4eh9.jpg

nights5dr0.jpg

NiGHTS 2 looks very pretty, but the drawing in that article looks pretty awful - the CG looks great. I don't like his eyes though, look square.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jesus lord nights's graphics have aged badly. this is why i don't replay 3d games from that era -- better to leave my memories intact.

SonSon2

I always consider the early 1996 era to be the equivalent to 2-d graphics in the early 80's. Ugly as shit, but if the game is good there are still merits.

*edit: it also doesn't help when a system doesn't support transparencies.

FightyF

Banned
Seriously, if NiGHTS were on the 360 or PS3, it would look like this:

nightsck5.jpg

This is another topic altogether, but since Nintendo is making $75 off of every Wii sold, I really, really, really wish that $75 went towards better visuals. It could have went a long way.

Starfire

Looks like I just saw the game that sold me a Wii (except Zelda, of course). As a former Nights fan, I've only been waiting for this game, oh, I don't know for 10 years or so!

It actually looks kinda close to some of my infantile fanboy "design docs" too, sweet!!

If this just turns out to be an expansion pack of the Saturn game with updated controls, I will still go insane (in fact in many ways I'd prefer it).

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Fight for Freeform said:
Seriously, if NiGHTS were on the 360 or PS3, it would look like this:

nightsck5.jpg

This is another topic altogether, but since Nintendo is making $75 off of every Wii sold, I really, really, really wish that $75 went towards better visuals. It could have went a long way.

That doesn't look that impressive. It looks like someone went crazy on some 3D drawing program and wanted to make fan art so they can put it on envelops to Nintendo Power. Is Nintendo really making 75 dollars per console? I guess making WiiSports a pack in instead of just selling it for 200 dollars was a smart move but then again, everyone would have bought WiiSports probably anyways.

Fight for Freeform said:

No, I think that's usually what the topic is. In every ****ing Wii related thread. Jesus people.

AlternativeUlster said:
Me too. I am getting games that I don't normally get because waggling is so much fun (Godfather, Excite Truck, Sonic, etc).

Yep.

I found The Godfather on Xbox to be a so-so experience.

On Wii it's like a whole new (and much better) game.

wsippel

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
The Wii supposedly costs about $175 to manufacture, but that's without the Wiimote or Nunchuck, Wii Sports, packaging, manuals, logistics, taxes...

I wish they went more with the celshading approach. I don't really like clay-like 3D, especially if its on the Wii. I like the artstyle but I wish they do more stylized texturing and stuff. I'm still glad it's a Wii exclusive, and I honestly can't wait! I never played the first one but the videos are fantastic.

The picture that Alkliine posted is magnificent. I want to see that kind of style on the Wii.

marc^o^ said:
Some games are just sublimed by the wiimote. Kororinpa is one of them.

How is it?

meppi

Panajev2001a said:
Freaking beautiful!
Indeed. :)

It's only natural that games age with time, but to say that something which was mind blowingly beautiful just 10 years ago, now suddenly is a pixelated mess simply because newer technology has become the standard is just stupid.

You don't see this happening to classic films for instance.

I might be in the minority here, but I find game graphics impressive in relation to what system they are one.
Just as I'm still blown away looking at Recca on the Famicom, Thunderforce 4 on the MegaDrive or Waverace 64 on the N64, I'm still blown away every time I start up NiGHTS on my Saturn.

Booser

Christ you people are making it sound like it looks godawful. Personally I like it alot. I'm more worried about Sega trying to make it needlessly complicated or "cool", like when they killed Sonic.

Please be good.

farnham

Banned
while i agree that sonic team has lost their touch.. i still think that they can redeem themself.. the last sonic game was pretty good.. and a refined sequel with the same engine could see even higher critical acclaim

Rlan

Here are some images of the regular game, resized down to 640x480 from my capture card with S-Video.

n1go9.jpg

n2cj5.jpg

n3ur8.jpg

n4hw7.jpg

n5ad1.jpg

n6ok5.jpg

I'll also mention that a lot of the new shots seem to have a 'behind NiGHTS' style to it. I'm getting the feeling it might be a Wii variation of the SEGA Superstars Eye-Toy NiGHTS thing. Which was okay, but not NiGHTS :(

pirateben said:
An industry insider's take on NiGHTS 2... not a pleasant read :(

http://bossrush.blogspot.com/2007/03/nights-2.html

Yeah, I understand his concerns, but they're misplaced. If Sonic Team wanted to go for the obvious cash-grab, we wouldn't have this thread and instead, would be looking at the next PSU or Sonic product. Eleven years later, almost anything would've been a better choice than a follow up to a Saturn game featuring an androgynous purple mascot-esque avatar in a fantasy world. Now, I'm a staunch believer in developer fatigue (see: Factor 5, Neversoft), but NiGHTS != Sonic.

Neomoto

Awesome news that it's actually coming! I like what I'm seeing and reading about it (some sort of online mode, 2 player, a lot of new moves etc). Hopefully the game will be good :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Rlan said:
Here are some images of the regular game, resized down to 640x480 from my capture card with S-Video.

n1go9.jpg

n2cj5.jpg

n3ur8.jpg

n4hw7.jpg

n5ad1.jpg

n6ok5.jpg

I'll also mention that a lot of the new shots seem to have a 'behind NiGHTS' style to it. I'm getting the feeling it might be a Wii variation of the SEGA Superstars Eye-Toy NiGHTS thing. Which was okay, but not NiGHTS :(

I got a Saturn on eBay a good while ago just to play NiGHTS which I missed during the 32 bits generation, but boy... such a great experience.

Advanced graphics technology is not what worries me, Wii or not Wii... what must come together for Nights is a mix of creative level design, great off-the-wall but coherent (to the level's theme) art design, pleasing, relaxing and not annoying music tracks thought for each level's setting (like Morricone has always arranged and composed music for all the movies he worked on!).

Just describing NiGHTS is not enough, people have to play it to enjoy it!

Neo Child

Banned
I really hope it's in 2D.

NiGHTS on the PS2 Superstar thingy looks alright visually, but the problem I see is it's 3D. It really needs to be 3D. All I'm asking is that they keep the original game as a basis and just work off of that slightly.

SuomiDude

Moz La Punk said:
I'll be honest, the first few seconds I saw that pic I thought it was for the Wii.
I thought it was definately some better looking game than Nights on Saturn, but still looked like shit compared to those Wii shots of Nights.

jimbo

Banned
Wow, I normally get excited about hardcore games that are being revived....but this is pretty boring. Maybe when we get better pictures it will be more impressive but right now I have to wonder why Sega's messing around with this instead of Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 and Daytona USA.

I'll call it right now......bomba.

Saoh

:O it's always nice to wake up to something like this. finally i'll get a chance to play a much prised franchise :)

now i wonder if ONM will have the same batch of screens... looks like this is the only time they got it right >_>

jimbo said:
Wow, I normally get excited about hardcore games that are being revived....but this is pretty boring. Maybe when we get better pictures it will be more impressive but right now I have to wonder why Sega's messing around with this instead of Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 and Daytona USA.

I'll call it right now......bomba.

sonicr.gif

I'm totally pumped for this. I haven't been this excited for a game since I was a little kid. The original NiGHTS charmed me more than any game I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom