• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiNintendo Wii U console £199.99 @ Amazon UK [update: price & pre-orders removed]

jonno394

Talking about N64 prices, importing only added to the woes. Perfect Dark, Conker, revenge, wrestlemania 2000, no mercy and virtua pro wrestling 2 cost in excess of £70. I dont know how we coped back then.

Was always a pain getting them to work with converters, especially perfect dark. Had to plug donkey Kong in boot it up, yank it out, shove in the converter, turn off and on. Bingo.

I still remember Christmas 2000, when I got Majora's Mask, DK64 and 007: World is Not Enough.

£59.99 for DK64, £49.99 for Zelda and £45 for Bond. Thankfully, I had lots of relatives. People moan about prices of games today, but seriously - compared to my youth, they're cheap as fuck now.

Yeah, I remember convincing my parents to buy me SFII for £64.99, I had to agree to combine my birthday, Diwali & Christmas presents before they would get it for me, good days.

Rich!

Talking about N64 prices, importing only added to the woes. Perfect Dark, Conker, revenge, wrestlemania 2000, no mercy and virtua pro wrestling 2 cost in excess of £70. I dont know how we coped back then.

I remember using N64 Magazine's guide to import Sin and Punishment. You don't know the meaning of 'expensive' unless you did that too. Used all my pocket money, and it was amazing.

Thankfully, N64 mag had already sent me both an Action Replay Pro and a Passport (import) device, thanks to me winning one competition and blagging a bunch of tat in another. What a fucking amazing bunch of guys - still yet to be beaten by any other gaming mag. In it's prime, N64 mag was unbeatable.

jonno394

I remember using N64 Magazine's guide to import Sin and Punishment. You don't know the meaning of 'expensive' unless you did that too. Used all my pocket money, and it was amazing.

Thankfully, N64 mag had already sent me both an Action Replay Pro and a Passport (import) device, thanks to me winning one competition and blagging a bunch of tat in another. What a fucking amazing bunch of guys - still yet to be beaten by any other gaming mag. In it's prime, N64 mag was unbeatable.

I had countless iterations of passports. We have it so easy today really.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I still remember Christmas 2000, when I got Majora's Mask, DK64 and 007: World is Not Enough.

£59.99 for DK64, £49.99 for Zelda and £45 for Bond. Thankfully, I had lots of relatives. People moan about prices of games today, but seriously - compared to my youth, they're cheap as fuck now.

We are spoilt in the UK these days...

HyN73.jpg

£199 seems like a pretty good guess to me. Unspectacular (current-gen) performance in an unspectacular design, relying on the innovative controller as the USP.

It's the Wii all over again, which launched at £179.

Any more than £200 and they're gonna struggle to shift these I reckon.

dyergram

I pre ordered the vita 16gb memory card when they priced it too low needless to say they did not honour the price. Pre ordered this as well fully prepared for disappointment.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think the show is over folks, good luck to who those who ordered, hope it gets honoured.

Oh. I see it's no longer available. I look forward to the inevitable email telling me that my order is cancelled.

well, I just read this on HUKD:

"UPDATE: An Amazon customer service representative, speaking to me over the phone, tells me that all information in their Black Wii U listing - including price and date - comes from their suppliers (not the manufacturer). I was also assured that this console is covered by their price guarantee, including the eventuality that the price increases once customers have placed their order (though the on-site guarantee mentions only decreases). This means that if you order a Black Wii U from Amazon for £199.99, that is the maximum price you will pay"

and another post:

"just been on the chat to the customer service again, and i ask them why the ability to pre-order has been removed. they said that demand was high and they only have limited stocks, they also said the delivery date which is july the 14th can change"

promising :)

ekim

Not gonna happen. Especially the black SKU as Nintendo stated it will release a few months later than the white SKU.

The pre-order listing goes to an error 404 now. *spooky music* Or maybe they thought too many hotukdeals users were buying 7...

Really???
Yeah the UK distributor (I think it was still Bandai, might have switched to The Games* then) were absolutely bonkers (I know the £:$ slipped somewhere in the 90s but never to the note that $200=£250). Plus in Germany NOE were price fixing (working with retail to keep the prices high).

*-In late 2001 The Games shut down and most their staff wound up at Nintendo UK. Hmm...

Aaaaand that is why my parents brought me an N64 at christmas 1997 (or was it 1996?)...with no games.
It was 1997 (system came out in Europe then and due to no online competition, imported games/consoles were silly money). I recall the system had dropped to £150 a month after launch then sometime later to £99...might have even reached £99 by Christmas (I know in 1998 it was £99 with Goldeneye or Super Mario 64) to compete with Saturn and Playstation (which were both £99 at that time).

£59.99 for DK64
With forced expansion pak bundle (though you could send the expansion pak into NOE for a copy of F-Zero X...). It only cost £49.99 through special reserve (a mail order company, died from internet) which was where that sort of thing was really worthwhile (though the membership cost made it bad for one or two games).

Just received my cancellation e-mail :( .

"We're writing to you regarding to your order XXXXX_XXXXX-XXX for the Nintendo Wii U (Black) console. Your order has been cancelled as this product was listed on Amazon.co.uk in error. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

And my order has been cancelled, anyone else got that email? XD

"Hello,

We're writing to you regarding to your order XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for the Nintendo Wii U (Black) console. Your order has been cancelled as this product was listed on Amazon.co.uk in error. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

You will not be charged for your order.
"

Fuck :(

Well guys. Now Nintendo will believe they can charge more than 200 pounds for the console thanks to the high demand this got, and we aren't even getting the Wii U for cheap.

I feel like Judas :(
lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well guys. Now Nintendo will believe they can charge more than 200 pounds for the console thanks to the high demand this got, and we aren't even getting the Wii U for cheap.

I feel like Judas :(
lol

Well. I'm not spending more then £200 on it. Anymore and I'll await a price drop.

Top Bottom