• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Delay-Age (Metroid Other M and S&P 2 Delayed)

Anth0ny

DarthButcher said:
Metroid: Other M has changed from being released on 6/27 to TBD.

2wq7fv4.jpg

Sounds more like Metroid's development is taking longer, rather than Zelda's.

Still, it both sucks that it's delayed, and also great.
I had too much scheduled for the next couple moths as it was.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
There could be a thousand reasons for this delay, everything from more games being put into the schedule, to some games being delayed (no matter what they are) to minor shuffles, to content being cut from E3. There are so many reasons that these games are delayed it's not even funny. Maybe NOA was planning on having The Last Story and Xenoblade out this year and decided to move one of them into 2011 to prevent congestion. Maybe Zelda was delayed and NOA is releasing the Last Story and Xenoblade in its place, and then moving Metroid closer to help remove the hole that Zelda left. maybe shit went south and all they have for the holiday season is Disaster, with everything else pushed to 2011. Fuck, maybe NOA just thought that Metroid and SnP would be better placed a month later. This kind of supposition and guesswork is pretty much useless until E3 when we get a better idea of the second half of 2010.

In either case, I'm annoyed, cause I wanted Sin and Punishment 2 since I'll not be getting SMG2 (Mario games don't appeal to me). I hope Zelda makes the holiday season though.

While I'm disappointed, it was always a dumb idea IMO to release all those 3 big games too close together. I love Metroid like you wouldn't believe, but I hate when games I want a released too close together, so I'm still playing the other and then new one comes out and I'm split wanting to play both at same time (which I hate doing). >_<

As long as Mario doesn't get delayed I'm still happy. Metroid will come when its ready. Hopefully it doesn't push Zelda though.

Spread them out Nintendo so we don't get the WAH WAH THAT WAS A FEW MONTHS AGO! WHERE ARE THE NEW GAMES RIGHT NOW???? babies crying about no new games to look forward too.

Instro said:
Metroid TBD so it doesnt hurt S&P2 sales maybe? Plus it probably needs polishing. I mean now that I know Metroid has been moved back maybe a couple months, I'm much more likely to pick up S&P2 than I was before.

This. My thinking is that Nintendo saw that light and realized there was no logic behind the spacing they were giving Sin and Punishment, so they delayed M:OM (a game which is going to sell regardless of its release date) so S&P will get better sales.

AceBandage said:
Sounds more like Metroid's development is taking longer, rather than Zelda's.

Two months to release a game like Metroid should be basically done. Around this time it would be in QA/lotcheck, if it's not already past that. Unless they happened upon a game-crashing bug at the last second, or decided at the last minute to change the voice-acting or something along those lines, the delay is most likely not due to development taking longer. But if another, later 2010 release happened to see a delay then I can imagine them wanting to space out their releases more. Zelda is a possibility, though I agree that Metroid is not as big of a franchise. But what else could it be? I'm sure we'll know by E3. If at E3 Zelda is announced for q1/2 (or later) 2011, I'd bet that was the primary reason for OM's delay.

wsippel

Banned
I believe Nintendo only announced release dates up to Q2, everything after that is "TBA". Other M could be delayed to some time in July, maybe just by a mere week if we're lucky.

Guevara

LegendofJoe said:
This. My thinking is that Nintendo saw that light and realized there was no logic behind the spacing they were giving Sin and Punishment, so they delayed M:OM (a game which is going to sell regardless of its release date) so S&P will get better sales.

I admire your optimism. I hope M:OM's sales aren't depressing tbh.

Guevara said:
I admire your optimism. I hope M:OM's sales aren't depressing tbh.

Depends on what you mean by depressing.
I mean, it'll sell to the 1 million Metroid fans that are out there.
After that, probably not much.

Narcosis

Nintendo delayed these so we could have more time to try and acquire all the purple coins in Galaxy 2. It's their way of being generous.

wsippel said:
I believe Nintendo only announced release dates up to Q2, everything after that is "TBA". Other M could be delayed to some time in July, maybe just by a mere week if we're lucky.

Straight from the press site...

03/14/10 Pokémon™ HeartGold Version DS
03/14/10 Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version DS
03/28/10 WarioWare D.I.Y.™ DS
03/28/10 America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking DS
03/29/10 WarioWare™: D.I.Y. Showcase WiiWare
04/19/10 Mega Man™ 4 VC
04/19/10 Bang Attack WiiWare
04/19/10 SURVIVING HIGH SCHOOL™ DSiWare
04/19/10 Game & Watch™: Donkey Kong Jr. DSiWare
04/19/10 Game & Watch™: Flagman DSiWare
04/19/10 Game & Watch™: Ball DSiWare
04/19/10 myPostcards™ DSiWare
05/03/10 Picross 3D™ DS
05/23/10 Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 Wii
06/07/10 Sin and Punishment™: Star Successor DS
06/14/10 100 Classic Books DS
06/27/10 Metroid™: Other M Wii
Summer 2010 FlingSmash™ Wii

Nothing else beyond that.

Metroid.com still says Coming 06.27.2010.

Gamestop still lists pre-order for June 27th.
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Metroid

GameFly lists it as June 27th
http://www.gamefly.com/game/Wii/Metroid-Other-M/138480/

Amazon, too
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BSC4ZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't one of those three usually get cited as "tentative date announced" on blogs 90% of the time? I always hear of a new release or delay semi-confirmed by GameSpot/GameFly/Amazon or the ESRB rating.

See, these are the threads I hate on GAF and online in general, ever since I started posting online. No offense to OP, but I don't see why anyone gets so worked up about random GameStore employees posting e-mails about delays/release dates, or when a fan finds a "new" date on random site. What happens then is EVERYONE reads it and takes it as fact and screams "FIRE!" These types of threads should be banned on GAF IMO since it's just hearsay. And I am not accusing OP of anything, but in general, anyone can make a thread like this with claims, and if it comes true, it's a "perk" to them with credibility, or if what they say is wrong, they can chalk it up to "well the e-mail was real, I was just repeating what I read" or something. If Koehler or somebody bugs NOA about this, gets an answer, and posts a story about it, then by all means throw yourselves a pity party (or celebrate if it's untrue).

Still haven't cracked open Red Steel 2, waiting for my EB to get MHTri in, and of course Galaxy 2 in May. Maybe I'll transfer my Metroid pre-order to Galaxy 2.

Hopefully I can finish the Primes before Other M: only about 1/3 through Echoes.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
wRATH2x said:
So wait, this wasn't confirmed?
The 'source' is apparently a company email within Play N Trade. For some reason, the original post didn't think this information was worthy of being in the opening post.

grandjedi6 said:
The 'source' is apparently a company email within Play N Trade. For some reason, the original post didn't think this information was worthy of being in the opening post.

No I did not. I've posted that information in several other threads, and it just slipped my mind about how huge GAF is, so I forgot to mention it in this specific thread until someone asked.

In regards to credibility: I believe this to be authentic as we've gotten information about other small things like this before today, so I see no reason as to why they would email us 2 months before release and say the games are delayed.

I am cry. Why delay S&P2? No one's gonna buy it anyway except us folks on the internet who have knowledge of its existence.

However, I do believe the delay is brought on by Zelda Wii probably being pushed to early 2011, and they'll need Metroid to be the big holiday game...

Unless Reginleiv & FlingSmash & Line Attack Heroes are coming...then I'll be fine...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DarthButcher said:
No I did not. I've posted that information in several other threads, and it just slipped my mind about how huge GAF is, so I forgot to mention it in this specific thread until someone asked.

In regards to credibility: I believe this to be authentic as we've gotten information about other small things like this before today, so I see no reason as to why they would email us 2 months before release and say the games are delayed.
For the record, its not that I don't believe you, I'm just a stickler for proper sourcing :p

On that note, Walmart has delayed Metroid: Other M too.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's cute how people think Nintendo sees Metroid as a Zelda substitute.

wasn't zelda TP seen by nintendo as an excuse not to release any "other" high profile nintendo wii games (excluding Wii Sports) at launch?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, where's the official news about this? Some random member saying he got an email is nothing. Sorry, i didn't read the whole thread, it seems it's mostly people crying.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Fine by me.

MG2 needs breathing space. This way S&P2 is not sent to die in its shadow. My wallet could also use the break.

Zelda Wii 2010:lol

pulga

Banned
Someone clear this up, the source was some unknown retailer or such? What the fuck is going on here. Nintendo better issue a press release :mad:

MisterHero

It's 2003 all over again; Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime were all supposed be released within months of each other but were later spread out.

Oh man what will I ever do

pulga said:
Someone clear this up, the source was some unknown retailer or such? What the fuck is going on here. Nintendo better issue a press release :mad:

Play N Trade is not an unknown company, it has over 200 stores nationwide and is the (3rd?) biggest specialty retailer?

This is the same type of email that brought me this last fall. Normally, the corporate emails are filled with nonsense and information about games that will soon release, but occasionally, it drops a juicy nugget of info.

Plus, Bestbuy's website also reflects this new information.

mr_chun

No Metroid this summer? :( x10000

Oh well I have a hideous backlog that needs cleaning this summer anyway.

Also, OP, are you the IGN DarthButcher? If so, long time no see!

mr_chun said:
No Metroid this summer? :( x10000

Oh well I have a hideous backlog that needs cleaning this summer anyway.

Also, OP, are you the IGN DarthButcher? If so, long time no see!

Yup, I'm formerly IGN DarthButcher, left there last year and signed up here. :D

Top Bottom