• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2017

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a few games that interest me in that sale, but the discounts themselves are.....meh.

Gurumin 3D is only $3 off (I'd probably give at $10 or less), WarioWare: Smooth Moves isn't even $5 off, & Pocket Card Jockey......well, even if it's only $1.60 off, I'd still recommend because what a fun game.

Noitu Love for $7 is perhaps the only deal I'm interested in, but even then, I'd be more tempted if it was $5. But I also have a huge backlog & plan on getting other games this month, so that might be why these don't interest me as much.

Edit: Isn't there suppose to be an additional discount for My Nintendo members? Because I'm not seeing it.

I had some time, so I went through and looked at all Nintendo published games that haven't been released on the Wii U virtual Console in the US. I did brief research on each to see if I could find a reason why it might not be released. I took out compilation games, but left in pretty much anything else. I bolded games I don't see a clear reason for not being released. Feel free to correct me on anything and I'll try to edit:

10-Yard Fight
4 Nin Uchi Mahjong - Japan only
Anticipation – Rare game
Athletic World Data – Bandai game only published in Europe
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting – rights issues for Barker Bill?
Cobra Triangle – Rare game
Dance Aerobics – step pad game
Devil World – released in Japan/Europe
Dragon Warrior – Chunsoft game only published in US
F1 Race – Is F1 trademarked?
Famicom Wars – released in Japan
Family Basic – More of an application
Family Basic V3 – see above
Faxanadu - Falcom IP with sticky Hudson/Konami rights
Final Fantasy – SquareSoft game only published in US
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan only
Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan only
Ginga no Sannin - Japan only
Gomoku Narabe Renju - Japan only
Gumshoe
Gyromite – ROB game
Joy Mech Fight - Japan only
Kung Fu – Movie tie in stopping?
Lunar Pool – Compile game only published in Europe
Mahjong - but who wants it?
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! – Mike Tyson
NES Play Action Football – was on wii
Nintendo World Championships 1990 – not a retail game
Nintendo World Cup – released in Japan
Pinbot – Rare game
Popeye – Popeye rights
Popeye no Eigo Asobi – see above
Pro Wrestling
R.C. Pro-Am – Rare game
Rad Racer – perhaps the Ferrari or F1 rights?
Shin 4-Jin Uchi Mahjong: Yakuman Tengoku
Short Order / Eggsplode! – Power Pad game
Slalom – Rare game
Snake Rattle 'n Roll – Rare game
Stack-Up – ROB game
Stadium Events – Power Pad game
Super Spike V'Ball - Technos developed with Double Dragon cameos
Super Team Games – Power Pad game
Tetris – Tetris rights
Tetris 2 – Tetris rights
The Guardian Legend - Developed by Compile, only published in Europe
To the Earth
Top Players Tennis – Asmik Ace game only published in Europe
Yoshi's Cookie – Well known rights issues

To shorten, here is my "Possible" List

Faxanadu - dreams crushed by Killer Yakuza B
Gumshoe
Mahjong
NES Play Action Footbal
Pro Wrestling
Super Spike V'Ball - dreams smashed by jholmes
The Guardian Legend - dreams destroyed by Killer Yakuza B
To the Earth

Pokemaniac

NA or EU? I was able to buy it at the upgrade price through nintendo.com the day it released.

NA

Of course, it turns out the actual issue, which it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out, is that I didn't actually own a Wii copy of that game -_-

That would be the one title that I'd make that mistake with, too (long story).

jholmes

I had some time, so I went through and looked at all Nintendo published games that haven't been released on the Wii U virtual Console in the US. I did brief research on each to see if I could find a reason why it might not be released. I took out compilation games, but left in pretty much anything else. I bolded games I don't see a clear reason for not being released. Feel free to correct me on anything and I'll try to edit:

To shorten, here is my "Possible" List

Super Spike V'Ball could be a rights issue, being a Technos-developed game and featuring Double Dragon's Bimmy and Jimmy. It's also worth noting that for some reason no four-player NES games have been released on the Wii U Virtual Console in North America so maybe that's related.

The game kicks ass though so I'd love to see it hit the service.

Super Spike V'Ball could be a rights issue, being a Technos-developed game and featuring Double Dragon's Bimmy and Jimmy. It's also worth noting that for some reason no four-player NES games have been released on the Wii U Virtual Console in North America so maybe that's related.

The game kicks ass though so I'd love to see it hit the service.

That's good info. I'll add it to the list! I think the cameos especially seem like they could be an issue.

I did the same thing for SNES games. Here's the list:

Atelier Double – Japan only
Battle Clash – Super Scope game
Capcom's Soccer Shootout – Only published in Europe
Famicom Bunko: Hajimari no Mori – Japan only
Famicom Detective Club Part II – Japan only
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War – Japan only
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem – Japan only
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 – Japan only
Heisei Shin Onigashima – Japan only
Illusion of Gaia – Published outside Japan
Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball – Ken Griffey rights
Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run – Ken Griffey rights
Kirby's Avalanche – was on Wii, Puyo Puyo issues?
Kirby's Super Star Stacker – Japan only
Mario & Wario – Japan only
Mario Paint – Peripherals
Mario's Super Picross – Japan only
Marvelous: Another Treasure Island – Japan only
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge – Super Scope game
Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut – Japan only
NCAA Basketball – Sports rights
NHL Stanley Cup – Sports rights
Power Lode Runner – Japan only
Power Soukoban – Japan only
SimCity – EA issues? Delisted from Wii
Star Fox – chip issues?
Stunt Race FX – chip issues?
Super Famicom Wars – Japan only
Super Mario All-Stars – They'd rather sell individually
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island – Chip issues?
Super Play Action Football
Super Scope 6 – Super Scope game
Super Soccer - Part of a larger series by Human, only published one game in EU and US
Super Tennis - only published in EU/US
Sutte Hakkun – Japan only
Terranigma - Only published in Europe
Tetris & Dr. Mario – Tetris rights
Tetris Attack – Tetris Rights
Tin Star – primarily a super scope/ mouse game
Uniracers – sued by Pixar over the unicycle, and lost!
Wario's Woods – NES version?
Wrecking Crew '98 – Japan only
Yoshi's Safari – Super Scope game

And on the short likely list:
Super Play Action Football
Super Soccer - dreams kicked by Killer Yakuza B
Super Tennis - dreams backhanded by Killer Yakuza B

I hope you want some sports games! I wonder why none of these are out yet? I bet with work they could get the super scope game working like the light gun games on NES, but maybe sales haven't been worth the work? Edit: now even shorter with Edits by Killer Yakuza B!

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post.

Ondore

Edit: Isn't there suppose to be an additional discount for My Nintendo members? Because I'm not seeing it.

Just For You rewards. The following games have them: Gurumin, Disney Art Academy, Yo-Kai Watch, Shantae Pirate's Curse, Happy House Arrest, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Mario v Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, DKC Returns, Mario Party 10

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahh, I see it now. It lowered the price of Gurumin from $11.99 to $10.79. A BIT better, but considering I already played the game on PSP, I'll wait for a lower sale.

For the other 3DS games, the JFY 10% discount lowers Pocket Card Jockey to $4.90 (GET IT), & Happy Home Designer to $14.03.

....though I don't know why it's giving me discounts for games I already own like PCJ.

I probably would've given in to Noitu Love if that had another 10% discount. What would Smooth Moves get lowered to? $13.59?

Feel free to correct me on anything and I'll try to edit:
Some of those games were published by Nintendo in only one region so they do not have the rights anymore. Just a few corrections:

Faxanadu is a Hudson game based on a Falcom IP and wasn't published by Nintendo in Japan. To complicate things further, Konami now owns all of Hudson's stuff, so who knows what the hell would be needed to get Faxanadu on Virtual Console in ANY region, let alone US.

Super Soccer is by Human, Nintendo only picked it up for US and EU. It's part of the Formation Soccer series and there're a lot more games (on SNES alone there's like 4 more), published by Human themselves and even other companies later.

The Guardian Legend has next to nothing to do with Nintendo. It's a Compile developed game, published by Irem in Japan, by Broderbund in America and by Nintendo in Europe. After Compile's death and with how Irem is doing nowadays, who knows who owns this anymore but there's no way that Nintendo has the rights to anything here.

Super Tennis was developed by a company called Tokyo Shoseki. I don't know if Nintendo published it in Japan also (maybe they did), but there's a chance that they don't outright own the game anyway.

Some of those games were published by Nintendo in only one region so they do not have the rights anymore. Just a few corrections:

Faxanadu is a Hudson game based on a Falcom IP and wasn't published by Nintendo in Japan. To complicate things further, Konami now owns all of Hudson's stuff, so who knows what the hell would be needed to get Faxanadu on Virtual Console in ANY region, let alone US.

Super Soccer is by Human, Nintendo only picked it up for US and EU. It's part of the Formation Soccer series and there're a lot more games (on SNES alone there's like 4 more), published by Human themselves and even other companies later.

The Guardian Legend has next to nothing to do with Nintendo. It's a Compile developed game, published by Irem in Japan, by Broderbund in America and by Nintendo in Europe. After Compile's death and with how Irem is doing nowadays, who knows who owns this anymore but there's no way that Nintendo has the rights to anything here.

Super Tennis was developed by a company called Tokyo Shoseki. I don't know if Nintendo published it in Japan also (maybe they did), but there's a chance that they don't outright own the game anyway.

Thanks! I'll make edits when I get home from work tonight! Group sourcing this works pretty well!

L~A

NA:

Virtual Console on Wii U

F-Zero X – In this high-octane Nintendo 64 racer, choose from 30 different hover-car racers, including updated versions of the Blue Falcon and other vehicles from the original F-Zero game. With five separate play modes, hidden vehicles and courses, and an excellent soundtrack, F-Zero X is an all-time classic Nintendo racing experience.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Great deals this week include Rubik's Cube, Tadpole Treble and Buddy & Me: Dream Edition, plus several more! Check out the full list of deals on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Also new this week:

Shift DX (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

.... yup.

I went ahead and updated the list of VC games Nintendo could in theory add to the VC, I went a step further and removed a few that I feel won't release due to copyright issues. AKA Tetris games. NES, SNES, and GBA are pretty much done. Credit for posting original list goes to JoeM86, not sure if anyone else worked on this.

NES: 1 Title

Gumshoe

SNES: 2 Titles

Kirby's Ghost Trap
Kirby Star Stacker

GBA: 0 Only games that remain are available through the SNES VC and while Nintendo is not above posting the same game twice, I don't think we'll see them. Also Mother 3 but if that is coming it will be the Switch at this point.

N64: 5, I don't think Nintendo will release the Custom Robo games or Animal Crossing.

Pilotwings 64
Star fox 64
Mario Party 3
Pokemon Puzzle League
Dr. Mario 64

DS: 42 Titles. Nintendo barely scratched the surface on this and Wii games. Some of these games I am not sure about but the original poster thought they had a chance so I left them in.

Daigasso! Band Brothers
Pokémon Dash
Polarium
Meteos
Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends, Dachshund & Friends and Lab & Friends
Another Code: Two Memories - Would require coding a fix for Sleep Mode Puzzle
Metroid Prime Pinball
Nintendogs: Best Friends Edition
Electroplankton
True Swing Golf
Super Princess Peach
Pokémon Trozei!
Magnetica/Actionloop
Clubhouse Games
Nintendogs: Dalmatian & Friends
Magical Starsign
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS (More likely than N64 version due to lack of Banjo & Conker)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Planet Puzzle League
Picross DS
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Master of Illusion
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness and Explorers of Time
Crosswords DSvg
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Game & Watch Collection
Rhythm Heaven
The Legendary Starfy
Fossil Fighters
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
WarioWare D.I.Y.
Game & Watch Collection 2
Picross 3D
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Fossil Fighters: Champions
Pokémon Conquest

Edit: I should mention this is NA only. Some of these games might be released in other territories.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
NA:

.... yup.
THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY SAVING SOME SURPRISES FOR THE SWITCH PRESENTATION LIKE MOTHER 3 AND STAR FOX 2

.....man, it's gonna be a slow couple of months until the Switch release revitalizes the digital releases again, isn't it.....

Pokemaniac

THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY SAVING SOME SURPRISES FOR THE SWITCH PRESENTATION LIKE MOTHER 3 AND STAR FOX 2

.....man, it's gonna be a slow couple of months until the Switch release revitalizes the digital releases again, isn't it.....

At least we're finally getting all the N64 games that were on Wii VC. I was getting worried that some of those might not make it before the Switch released.

At least we're finally getting all the N64 games that were on Wii VC. I was getting worried that some of those might not make it before the Switch released.

Still a few more to go though right? I haven't checked if Mario Party 3, Star Fox 64, or Pilotwings ever released on the Wii but Pokemon Puzzle League did correct? Probably not getting the Ogre 64 game like we did on Wii.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mario Party 3 & Pilotwings 64 never did VC releases for Wii or Wii U. Star Fox 64 is on the Wii U VC in Europe, but not the US yet. Pokemon Puzzle League is on the Wii VC but not Wii U.

BooJoh

If Switch VC requires the Wii U version to upgrade it would be nice if they'd dump the rest of the Wii titles over to Wii U before Switch comes out. I realize that's more work than just dumping roms though.

donny2112

I fully expect Mother 3 on Switch. It never made any sense to release late in the Wii U's life cycle. Why prop a failing/dead system when you can hold on the release to boost the new one? Same reasoning as to why Earthbound was held for Wii U instead of releasing on Wii late in the cycle.

Edit:
As an updated on the 3DS All-Time Top 20 downloads, Pokemon Sun just made the list @ #20 pushing out Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Omega Ruby also moved up a couple of space to #15. Pokemon X/Y are unchanged at 10/11, respectively. Expect Pokemon Moon to join Sun, and for both to be moving up the All-Time list this year! :lol

I'am thinking about selling my mint condition 3DSXL for some quick cash (or maybe save up for a New 3DSXL) I don't know how to disconnect my eShop account from it?

PtM

Banned
I'am thinking about selling my mint condition 3DSXL for some quick cash (or maybe save up for a New 3DSXL) I don't know how to disconnect my eShop account from it?
A platform reset, I guess?
Support.nintendo.com documentation is pretty good with this stuff.

DKoops

Neo Member
Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Nintendo, available January 20) - €39.99/£34.99

The story begins when a jester, Dhoulmagus, comes to Castle Trodain and steals the King's sceptre. He then uses its power to turn his majesty into a troll, the Princess into a horse, and the castle inhabitants into plants. The only one left unscathed from this attack is a castle guard who escaped the curse and must now step up to save the kingdom he's sworn to protect.

Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World Demo (Nintendo) - Free
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World is an adventure game set in a world of yarn. Poochy Pups also appear for the first time. These little helpers jump on suspicious spots to indicate where you should look for secrets and collectables.

Gourmet Dream (CIRCLE Ent.) - €5.99/£4.79
"Gourmet Dream" is a management game in which you take up the role of a restaurant manager and help your shop to grow. The aim of the game is to help your restaurant flourish until it is evaluated as an "S Rank" restaurant. In order to do this, you will have to create a menu to suit your customer's needs, hire and train staff that provide great food and service, and run promotions to increase the number of customers that come to your restaurant. In essence, you will be raising your store into a "Highly Esteemed Gourmet Restaurant".

Special offers
Dan McFox: Head Hunter (Lightwood Games) - €1.99/£1.59 (Ends February 9, normally €2.49/£1.99)
Word Logic by POWGI (Lightwood Games) - €7.19/£6.39 (Ends February 9, normally €8.99/£7.99)
Football Up Online (EnjoyUp Games) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends February 16, normally €3.99/£3.59)

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Toby: The Secret Mine (Headup Games) - €9.99/£6.99

A peaceful way of life in a small village in the mountains was thrown into disorder. Someone has kidnapped most of its residents. A couple of brave hearts tried to rescue their friends but none of them has returned. Little Toby didn't want to just sit and wait so he decided to find them by himself. He went to the near deep forest but he soon realized this is just a beginning. Go with Toby on an eerie adventure in a dark and creepy world full of dangerous situations, enemies and challenging puzzles.

Special offers
99Seconds (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.24/£1.14 (Ends February 16, normally €2.49/£2.29)
Aqua TV (Extra Miles Studio) - €2.35/£1.99 (Ends January 26, normally €4.70/£3.99)
Breakout Defense (nuGAME) - €5.00/£5.00 (Ends February 16, normally €7.00/£7.00)
Darts Up (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.24/£1.14 (Ends February 16, normally €2.49/£2.29)
Rock 'N Racing Off Road (EnjoyUp Games) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends February 16, normally €5.99/£5.39)
Kung Fu FIGHT! (Nostatic Software) - €1.79/£1.34 (Ends January 26, normally €1.99/£1.49)
Midnight 2 (Petite Games) - €1.59/£1.43 (Ends February 8, normally €1.99/£1.79)
VRog (ByteRockers' Games) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends February 16, normally €4.99/£4.49)
Word Logic by POWGI (Lightwood Games) - €7.19/£6.39 (Ends February 2, normally €8.99/£7.99)

Nintendo eShop (New 3DS)

COLOR CUBES (RCMADIAX) - €1.49/£1.39

Switch or stay - that's how you play this game! Tap the touch screen to switch the color boxes, or keep them the way they are. You must act quickly as the game gets faster and faster. Endless fun for everyone!

Special offers
Hyperlight EX (CatfishBlues Games) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends February 2, normally €5.49/£4.99)

Nintendo 3DS Theme Shop
All themes will be available on January 20.

Hello Kitty with My Melody (Sanrio) - €0.99/£0.89
Hello Kitty plays with her friend My Melody

Hello Kitty is reading (Sanrio) - €0.99/£0.89
Hello Kitty reads a book in her room

Chinese New Year's Eve (Sanrio) - €0.99/£0.89
Hello Kitty wears a Chinese dress for Chinese New Year's Eve

Snoopy Happy Dance! (Librica) - €1.99/£1.79
From the world-beloved comic "Peanuts", we bring you "Snoopy Happy Dance!"

Snoopy and Friends (Librica) - €1.99/£1.79
From the world-beloved comic "Peanuts", we bring you "Snoopy and Friends"

Jurassic Cubs on the Magic Path (Atlantyca) - €1.49/£1.39
The Magic Flow slides onto the screen and guides the Jurassic Cubs to the Black Meteorite.

I Saurini in marcia (Atlantyca) - €1.49
I Saurini e il Flusso Magico che scorre sullo schermo

Nichus in the Woods (Atlantyca) - €0.99/£0.89
Nichus enjoys crossing the woods by liana.

Nichus nel bosco (Atlantyca) - €0.99
Nichus si diverte ad attraversare il bosco sulle liane.

Jurassic Cubs 3 Pack NEW (Atlantyca) - €2.49/£2.29
Three new fantastic Jurassic Cubs themes.

I Saurini 3 pack NEW (Atlantyca) - €2.49
Tre fantastici nuovi temi dei Saurini

Geronimo Stilton Happy Holidays (Atlantyca) - €1.99/£1.79
Geronimo Stilton Happy Holidays

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seems like it's been a month since EU last got a VC title, which was Pikmin 2 & Demon's Crest (New 3DS) from the week of Dec. 12th.

...........that's pretty much it considering they probably will now focus on the Switch VC, right? I expect the US VC to stop in a month.

Tizoc

That's it?
Only 3 extra discounts for 3ds?

Wont start dq8 until i beat smt4a so gonna try and finish it by next week @_@

Seems like it's been a month since EU last got a VC title, which was Pikmin 2 & Demon's Crest (New 3DS) from the week of Dec. 12th.

...........that's pretty much it considering they probably will now focus on the Switch VC, right? I expect the US VC to stop in a month.
Well, there isn't much left to release on the WiiU if we assume no more 3rd party VC games. Mostly Wii and DS games.

Pokemaniac

At the point, I wouldn't be surprised if NA just got Star Fox 64, Smash 64, Pokemon Puzzle League, and maybe Cruis'n USA, then stopped.

Top Bottom