• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

Morts

Has NOA ever acknowledged the Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure 3d Classics? Maybe some hint as to when one or both may be out?

@MUWANdo

Banned
All the 3D Classics games have launched on the same day in both regions, so I fully expect NA to get Kirby's Adventure next week, just like PAL-land.

As for Kid Icarus... that all depends on whether NOA/NOE are gonna use it as part of a Club Nintendo promotion like NOJ is doing, I guess.

Princess Skittles said:
I'm starting to worry about Monster World IV.

Although technically the original press release said "Late 2011/Early 2012," but.. still..
Yeah, we also have Monster Land AC and Super Hang-On from that announcement as no shows yet. Nevermind the "summer" Game Gear titles on 3DS.

There's the first episode of that Kirby cartoon on the Pal 3DS shop channel. How unexpected!

There's also a video of the 3D classic Kirby's Adventure - looks nice but I'd be more willing to part with my money if it was a 16bit remake.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Yeah, we also have Monster Land AC and Super Hang-On from that announcement as no shows yet. Nevermind the "summer" Game Gear titles on 3DS.

I'd hope that the absence of other VC titles for the 3DS - together with the lack of DD software from third parties generally - is more to do with Nintendo making behind-the-scenes changes to the eShop, and introducing DLC etc. If they know it's going to be revised again, with the eShop being revamped, the introduction of a web-based service and other functionality perhaps they've asked third parties to hold back?

The alternatives aren't great - weak early sales led to poor support? Third parties just not interested in what Nintendo are offering in terms of percentages/support etc. for the eShop?

@MUWANdo

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
No, it's free to watch and it's in 2D. It's buried under the Kirby category of the shop and you just stream it to the system.

Oh, so you can't download it? Figures. I guess they'll rotate episodes in and out, like that did on the Wii Kirby Channel.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh wow, the DE eshop got its second 3DSWare, a few trailers of upcoming 3DSWare* and 3DVC titles, and a full-length TV Kirby episode. Somebody pinch me!

*Mighty Switch Force get!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
I read this line first. GRR.
That's what you get for reading the footnotes first *snickers*

Roto13

Ranger X said:
Anybody knows what's going on with La Mulana?
Do yourself a favour and forget about anything Nicalis is working on until it actually comes out. Really, the games they port shouldn't be announced when they are.

zigg

I probably really don't have time to even start to check it out between now and Mario but I'm kinda tempted. Wacky speaks to me on an insane level.

OnPoint

Sinthetic said:
I agree mate, let us know how you like it. Post some of your whacky creations.

33ygc9z.png

@MUWANdo said:
It's relatively faithful to the NES game - most of the levels are the same, but they got rid of the overhead stages and replaced 'em with more sidescrolling sections. They also redid all the graphics in a more sci-fi anime style for no reason, which you may or may not appreciate. Same tunes, new arrangements. It's a much better handheld game than, say, most of the Mega Man GB games, or the Castlevania games, or whatever.
What? No, GB Bionic Commando is an entirely new game, not a port at all. All new levels. And yes, it is much more sci-fi in theme. It also has password save, so you don't need to play it all at once like you do with the NES game, and does replace the topdown truck stages with sidescrolling ones that serve the same purpose (extra lives, pretty much).

Sure, some of the levels have similar concepts to some of the NES levels, but they are definitely not the same.

watershed

Banned
I'm kinda tempted to pick up freaky forms but I'd like to hear some impressions first. The character creation looks fun but the very basic platforming I'm not sold on. Add to that the only way to share formees is through streetpass and my interest dies even more. Does the game have QR code sharing? That might help a little.

Nobody has bought Freakyforms yet? lol Someone be our guinea pig.

It just doesn't look fun or interesting to me at all and that music sounds bad.

I think you can share your stuff with QR codes. I'm pretty sure they said that in the trailer.

Holy crap! Freakyforms is batshit insane! I love it! :D

It's polished to a shine, with some great production values. Controls are great fun! Customisation is easy and fun and the results are hilarious! (My Formee, Captain Fab, is a freak of nature with 3 eyes, a leg on its head and a voice that sounds like the gay pirate from Wind Waker - best of all, the default catchphrase for him was "I say!"
KuGsj.gif
) Oh, and he shits out eggs while he walks along!

I haven't gotten very far, but it seems like there's lots to do, with plenty of unlockable items for customisation but even just making the formee and moving it round is a lot of fun! (You know that feeling when the controls on their own are just fun to play around with, this game does it really well!) You can customise the landscape objects too (turning all trees into upside down ice cream cones is a cinch!) and the levels seem to be randomly generated The 3D effect is nice and subtle, doesn't add much to the game really, but it's a nice subtle effect.

Recommended!

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy crap! Freakyforms is batshit insane! I love it! :D

It's polished to a shine, with some great production values. Controls are great fun! Customisation is easy and fun and the results are hilarious! (My Formee, Captain Fab, is a freak of nature with 3 eyes, a leg on its head and a voice that sounds like the gay pirate from Wind Waker - best of all, the default catchphrase for him was "I say!"
KuGsj.gif
) Oh, and he shits out eggs while he walks along!

I haven't gotten very far, but it seems like there's lots to do, but even just making the formee and moving it round is a lot of fun! You can customise the landscape too (turning all trees into upside down ice cream cones is a cinch!)

Recommended!
What else can you tell us and how long do you see yourself playing this game? Like fun for a week or something you'll go back to time and again?

artwalknoon said:
What else can you tell us and how long do you see yourself playing this game? Like fun for a week or something you'll go back to time and again?

Well, I've not gotten that far, but I can see myself enjoying this for a good while. There seems to be quite a lot of unlockable items. I don't think it's the kind of game that you would just plow through, but rather play for a bit at a time (a bit like Picross really)

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, I've not gotten that far, but I can see myself enjoying this for a good while. There seems to be quite a lot of unlockable items. I don't think it's the kind of game that you would just plow through, but rather play for a bit at a time (a bit like Picross really)
Cool, I'm kinda tempted to get it today but then it would distract me from doing more productive stuff. Is the game beyond character creation all simple platforming or is there other stuff?

artwalknoon said:
Cool, I'm kinda tempted to get it today but then it would distract me from doing more productive stuff. Is the game beyond character creation all simple platforming or is there other stuff?

There's various challenges that you have to complete and different planets that you go to. I haven't done any of those yet, but I do know that there are flying and swimming sections (based on videos of the game), so it seems to be more than just basic platforming.

Roto13

Just a couple more days until Super Mario 3D Land. Freakyforms sounds better than it looks, but I'm still going to have to pass for now. :p

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
There's various challenges that you have to complete and different planets that you go to. I haven't done any of those yet, but I do know that there are flying and swimming sections (based on videos of the game), so it seems to be more than just basic platforming.
Cool, I think I'll eventually get the game but with Mario so close I can wait. Thanks for the impressions.

I don't know how interesting Freaky Forms is in the long run but I can confirm it's a lot of fun just creating your first creatures! It's not just the visuals, the sounds and music are pretty great too. You can choose a voice for your creatures by choosing a personality and adjusting the pitch, they use some hilarious sounding gibberish.
The tutorial is great in that it lets you do things quickly without being too intrusive and at the same time shows how flexible the editor is.
It's really well done and weird in a good way (I would say in a Katamari way), brought a smile to my face multiple times.

DarkWish

Hey Nuclear Muffin, have you unlocked the ability to do StreetPass yet? I was trying to figure out how to unlock that, I must be missing something.

OnPoint

I guess I get to (sort of) be the dissenting voice here. I have also bought Freakyforms, and I'm not as in love with it as the other couple posters who have talked about it.

Creating your own creatures is relatively easy, as the interface is practically the same one used to create Miis. You can make some pretty cool little guys.

As for the actual platforming itself? So far I'm not feeling it. I'm not too far in -- I still have one more guy to make before "something happens" -- but so far it's just a couple of ledges and pits here or there. It's kind of senseless so far, and if this is the whole game, boy am I disappointed. I'll keep playing to see if things diversify and make another post when and if they do.

The music is great if you love weird, Animal Crossing/Noby Noby Boy-esque tracks. It's probably my favorite part of the game so far.

Fun fact: The filtering is pretty severe in what you can make your guys phrase be. "Farts" is not acceptable. But "Balls" is.

DarkWish said:
Hey Nuclear Muffin, have you unlocked the ability to do StreetPass yet? I was trying to figure out how to unlock that, I must be missing something.

Not yet. Maybe after you make 5 Formees? I've only made 2 so far.

Speaking of which. I managed to make an Pacman eyeball with 4 wings and no legs, with a beak hanging from a tie and it works! (high pitched squeaky girly voice for good measure!)

watershed

Banned
I've decided to make Freakyforms my reward if I manage to get through all this work today. That way I won't feel so guilty and won't neglect my work.

DarkWish said:

Your planet expands adding houses and trees. I guess that's the main progression mechanism of the game.

There are AR photo and QR code options, they are still locked for me but you can probably share your creatures using the QR codes just like Miis. Can't wait to see you creatures guys :)

BooJoh

My Freakyforms impressions:

The creation aspect is fun, but it opens up features in bites, so your first creations will feel a bit limited. As you play you unlock new features in your world, which allow you to immediately start redesigning things like houses, trees, clouds, and even the color of the landscape and sky. As you create more Formees, more features will unlock and your planet will get bigger. I've just unlocked StreetPass by creating a 5th Formee.

The platforming controls are hit or miss. Jumping around with something springy feels nice, and flying feels nice, but walking around with short legs can feel cumbersome, as can navigating steps and jumps with a wheeled Formee. There's also a pretty severe time limit on Explore mode, which I'm hoping will be extended later, because currently you barely have time to grab a couple chests per trip, let alone complete quests to eat specific foods and stuff.

I'm not sure how much longevity the game will have, but so far the creating aspect is fun within its limits.

Here's a couple of my Formees I've made (I love the voices btw.)

HNI_0062.jpg
HNI_0061.jpg

BooJoh

artwalknoon said:
Does the game allow for taking in-game photos? It would be great to see how people are customizing their planets.
Yeah, you can take photos, once you unlock the feature, and then view them in a photo album, export to SD, or choose some to share over StreetPass. You can also take AR photos with your creations (again, once you unlock the feature.)

watershed

Banned
BooJoh said:
Yeah, you can take photos, once you unlock the feature, and then view them in a photo album, export to SD, or choose some to share over StreetPass. You can also take AR photos with your creations (again, once you unlock the feature.)
Cool thanks. I'm getting ready to buy this game so I have something to do between waiting for layers of paint to dry.

BooJoh

GameE said:
I like how he complains about the 150 second time limit (which I've just discovered is increased with your planet, my time limit is at 300 now) and then posts a screenshot showing 244 seconds on the clock.

With my newly doubled time limit, my last venture into exploration was a lot more fruitful. I gathered about 4 eggs (which you can break for coins, hit it dead center and you can get 100 more) and did a couple quests for "friend" Formees which are not your own creations, which unlocked the ability to buy those friend Formees in a catalog. One of my striped eggs also had a prize inside in addition to the coins: a creation challenge where you have to try to recreate a friend Formee based on its silhouette. My attempt was pretty far off, but I still got a "good work!" and unlocked that friend Formee in the catalog.

It seems to be more enjoyable once you can spend more time per visit.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DarkWish said:

Make five "formees".

I bought the game -- and it's better than I expected, but I can't say how long it will "last" as far as entertainment value goes. Yes, it seems to skew towards the younger set, but I find it far more entertaining than Drawn to Life, which seemed to have some contingent of GAF raving.

Top Bottom