• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

watershed

Banned
Hey there is a new video in Nintendo Video called "Monkey and Bear" that everyone should check out. It looks awesome and is kinda strangely beautiful. One of those artsy type videos, definitely worth watching.

freakyforms is fun so far. I realize its meant to be had in chunks though, which works out fine for my schedule ^_^

It's fun to make drooling monsters with nipples.

Ranger X

Roto13 said:
Do yourself a favour and forget about anything Nicalis is working on until it actually comes out. Really, the games they port shouldn't be announced when they are.

Oh well, it's not that I mind much because there's SO many games this fall my wallet is already empty 3 times.

watershed

Banned
So I bought freakyforms and am enjoying it so far. Its really wacky and fairly entertaining. But what do I do with all the coins I collect? I've got hundreds.

NewFresh

artwalknoon said:
So I bought freakyforms and am enjoying it so far. Its really wacky and fairly entertaining. But what do I do with all the coins I collect? I've got hundreds.

I am thinking about picking it up. This might sound dumb, but is it a game or just more of a creation tool?

Roto13

artwalknoon said:
Hey there is a new video in Nintendo Video called "Monkey and Bear" that everyone should check out. It looks awesome and is kinda strangely beautiful. One of those artsy type videos, definitely worth watching.
That's the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time. Seems like it's probably a very small part of a much longer film.

BooJoh

artwalknoon said:
Once you do some quests and add friend Formees to your catalog, you can buy them for 500 coins each, which unlocks all their parts. You can also sometimes spend 1000 for a Bonus Chance when you talk to other Formees while exploring.

watershed

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I am thinking about picking it up. This might sound dumb, but is it a game or just more of a creation tool?
Its definitely a game. The creation stuff is the most fun but controlling your formees in the game world is fun as well. Its simple platforming and collecting so far. I don't think the game is particularly deep but it is amusing and if enough people start sharing their formees on gaf for example it could end up being entertaining for a while. The game is exactly what it looks like in the eshop trailer so if you watched that and thought "I'll pass" then its probably not for you. What you see is what you get. Hope that helps.

Edit: Thanks Boojoh

watershed

Banned
Sorry for the dp but I wanted to share my freaky forms so far. I think this is going to be a fun game to play in small bites. but that also means it will take me a while to unlock all the features.

391364_10150502531791004_693881003_10232775_1141582936_n.jpg

385361_10150502531866004_693881003_10232776_311569069_n.jpg

390804_10150502531986004_693881003_10232778_644518026_n.jpg

BooJoh

After spending way more time than I expected with Freakyforms today, it seems to have a lot more content than I originally expected. I've put several hours into it, and have unlocked the second area out of at least four, each with its own set of characters and scenery to unlock. There's 106 friend Formees to unlock, and a lot of them give you new parts when you unlock them. I've unlocked only 20 so far. There's also 24 Trophies to earn and 33 accessories to unlock which can be used as parts on your Formees.

artwalknoon said:
Sorry for the dp but I wanted to share my freaky forms so far. I think this is going to be a fun game to play in small bites. but that also means it will take me a while to unlock all the features.
That first one is really crazy when you see it in motion.

watershed

Banned
BooJoh said:
After spending way more time than I expected with Freakyforms today, it seems to have a lot more content than I originally expected. I've put several hours into it, and have unlocked the second area out of at least four, each with its own set of characters and scenery to unlock. There's 106 friend Formees to unlock, and a lot of them give you new parts when you unlock them. I've unlocked only 20 so far. There's also 24 Trophies to earn and 33 accessories to unlock which can be used as parts on your Formees.

That first one is really crazy when you see it in motion.
I haven't unlocked much yet. Do you know what you have to do to unlock the QR code feature? and have you posted your formees yet?
Edit:nevermind I just saw them on the last page, but you should post more of them. I hope more people buy this game and start sharing their QR codes.

BooJoh

artwalknoon said:
I haven't unlocked much yet. Do you know what you have to do to unlock the QR code feature? and have you posted your formees yet?
Edit:nevermind I just saw them on the last page, but you should post more of them. I hope more people buy this game and start sharing their QR codes.
I don't know what exactly unlocked the QR reader. It was just suddenly available after a round of exploring once. I'll probably post more tomorrow. Maybe if enough people get the game someone will make an OT for sharing stuff.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ranger X said:
ok wow. So we are waiting all this time only for a localisation? Man, Nicalis are damn fast. lol

NIGORO has posted on their blog about delays in European ratings boards submissions; they wanted to release simultaneously in NA and PAL-land but one particular EU ratings board was dragging its heels (German USK, I think). Then again, nothing ever seems to go smoothly/on time for Nicalis.

Bear in mind that Nicalis STILL hasn't released Cave Story DSiWare in PAL territories, and it came out in NA a year ago.

zigg

BooJoh said:
Maybe if enough people get the game someone will make an OT for sharing stuff.
I was about to suggest that, yeah.

I ended up grabbing it last night and putting in a little bit of time. Creating things is quite a bit more fun than I expected. Traveling is less, though.

Will post QRs later, either here or in an OT.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
I was about to suggest that, yeah.

I ended up grabbing it last night and putting in a little bit of time. Creating things is quite a bit more fun than I expected. Traveling is less, though.

Will post QRs later, either here or in an OT.
I think the game really deserves an OT.

dock

BooJoh said:
Here's a couple of my Formees I've made (I love the voices btw.)

HNI_0062.jpg
HNI_0061.jpg
These are awesome! :) It's really interesting that these are different size QR-codes, and it's impressive to see how dense you can make a QRcode and have the 3DS still being tolerant of it.

Esiquio

I just bought a 3DS and Cave Story 3D. What are the stand-out, best downloadable software titles for the 3DS? Virtual Console, or DSWare (sp?), or otherwise.

Edit: Just saw Link's Awakening. OMG, amazing game, will buy that one for sure.

BooJoh

zigg said:
How can I stop the white borders from showing up on the shapes? Is that something I get later?
I think the only way to keep from having borders (like if you want to make a new big shape by combining parts) is to make sure they're both the same type of body part.

Esiquio said:
I just bought a 3DS and Cave Story 3D. What are the stand-out, best downloadable software titles for the 3DS? Virtual Console, or DSWare (sp?), or otherwise.

First: Mario vs Donkey Kong, Aura Aura Climber, Shantae, Mighty Flip Champs, Zelda Four Swords (free)
Then Dark Void Zero, Pro Jumper, 10 Second Run

Esiquio said:

For Virtual Console I'd say Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong are the only must haves. Beyond that I'd also reccommend Gargoyle's Quest, Super Mario Land 2, Mario's Picross, Mega Man, Kirby's Dreamland and Balloon Kid. And maybe Catrap.

zigg

BooJoh said:
I think the only way to keep from having borders (like if you want to make a new big shape by combining parts) is to make sure they're both the same type of body part.

Ahhh, that makes sense, looking at my creations thus far. Thanks!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
Since there's no OT yet, here are my first five Formees.

Highlights:

2Bn9D.jpg

2bxz3.jpg

How can I stop the white borders from showing up on the shapes? Is that something I get later?
There is an OT now.

(that's what you get for letting me do the OT)

Javier

Esiquio said:

Also, get Game & Watch Gallery. For 3 bucks that game is a steal.

Esiquio

Javier said:
Also, get Game & Watch Gallery. For 3 bucks that game is a steal.

Okay, I'll check that one out as well. I just got it in the mail, waiting for it to finish charging so I can play with it!

The Genesis / Mega Drive version of Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers Online is "coming soon" to the US/EU VC according to Capcom!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/11/11/genesis_version_of_super_sfii_coming_to_virtual_console..._with_online_play!

So it seems that the Wii VC isn't completely dead outside Japan yet!

Esiquio said:

Go! Go! Kokopolo for DSiWare

read some impressions here -

REVIEW

This is unabashedly a video game, and all the basic tropes are here. The ideas begin simply, but then they sprout and take shape and blossom, until before you stands the most gorgeous flower of a video game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nuclear Muffin said:
The Genesis / Mega Drive version of Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers Online is "coming soon" to the US/EU VC according to Capcom!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/11/11/genesis_version_of_super_sfii_coming_to_virtual_console..._with_online_play!

So it seems that the Wii VC isn't completely dead outside Japan yet!
Yup. Looking forward to grabbing both.

Celine

@MUWANdo said:
It plays just fine, but the video footage is mad compressed.
Then it's a no buy from me.
It's a pity Dragon Lair Trilogy for Wii is only available in NA...

Also is AiRace good ?
Only other DSiWare game I might buy before 3DSware start to take off.

wsippel

Banned
Esiquio said:

Most ArtStyle games (especially Picobits), all WayForward titles. And definitely Rytmik, if you're even remotely interested in making music. It's all DSiWare.

Celine

Esiquio said:

My recommendations would be:

VC ( in order ):
Zelda LA
Donkey Kong 94
Super Mario Land 2
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle Quest

DSiWare:
Shantae Risky Revenge ( pricey but worth it IMO ).

Don't forget to download Zelda Four Sword for free.

Celine said:
Then it's a no buy from me.
It's a pity Dragon Lair Trilogy for Wii is only available in NA...

Also is AiRace good ?
Only other DSiWare game I might buy before 3DSware start to take off.

it's announced for european release feb 2012

radcliff

radcliff said:
I have been waiting for Genesis Strider since the VC was announced! Its a great, although short, action game. About time!

So now I have this and Double Dragon II NES as announced US VC games to look forward to.

Plus Lufia, which was announced a whiles back. NOA and NOE have plenty of content that they could release at any time, they're just choosing not to release it for God knows what reason.

Esiquio

Celine said:
My recommendations would be:

VC ( in order ):
Zelda LA
Donkey Kong 94
Super Mario Land 2
Game & Watch Gallery
Gargoyle Quest

DSiWare:
Shantae Risky Revenge ( pricey but worth it IMO ).

Don't forget to download Zelda Four Sword for free.

Loving Cave Story 3D. I have a few complaints, but this is my first time playing the game and I really dig it. Just bought Link's Awakening, damn that game is so freaking good...but I am looking for some better pick up and play type game for my trip to an amusement park this week...you know, to play in the lines.

So I just impulse bought ARMY DEFENDER and AiRace: Tunnel. I hope they're good. It bothers me that the games are saved to system memory and can't be played off the SD card, though. I believe this is not true for certain games, I know that Link's Awakening, for instance, was 50 blocks and downloaded to the SD card.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Esiquio said:
Loving Cave Story 3D. I have a few complaints, but this is my first time playing the game and I really dig it. Just bought Link's Awakening, damn that game is so freaking good...but I am looking for some better pick up and play type game for my trip to an amusement park this week...you know, to play in the lines.

So I just impulse bought ARMY DEFENDER and AiRace: Tunnel. I hope they're good. It bothers me that the games are saved to system memory and can't be played off the SD card, though. I believe this is not true for certain games, I know that Link's Awakening, for instance, was 50 blocks and downloaded to the SD card.
I had army defender on my dsi. It was pretty so-so. Only bought it because dsiware was still in its infancy and i wanted something to play. Decent if you like psuedo tower defense games but very simple and shallow.

thomaser

What is Nicalis' big problem that keeps them from releasing anything in a timely manner? Is it a very, very small team? No money? Bad programming and tons of bugs that prevents their games from being greenlit by Nintendo? I don't understand why they are so extremely slow with these things... I'm in Europe, and still waiting for the DSi Cave Story (which I will buy when it comes out even if I have played through it on the Wii). People are just itching to give this company their money, but they don't seem to want it.

thomaser

Esiquio said:
It bothers me that the games are saved to system memory and can't be played off the SD card, though. I believe this is not true for certain games, I know that Link's Awakening, for instance, was 50 blocks and downloaded to the SD card.

DSiWare-games are saved to the system memory. All 3DS downloadable games ("3DSWare", Virtual Console and 3D classics) can be played from the SD card.

BooJoh

Esiquio said:
It bothers me that the games are saved to system memory and can't be played off the SD card, though. I believe this is not true for certain games, I know that Link's Awakening, for instance, was 50 blocks and downloaded to the SD card.
DSiWare can only be played from system memory. You can copy them to the SD but it's just for backup purposes. You'll fill up your system memory pretty fast if you buy a lot.

3DS software on the other hand, including 3D Classics, Virtual Console, and 3DSWare, can all be run from the SD card, so your space for those is as big as your SD card.

EDIT: Beaten.

Top Bottom