• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

Roto13

Too many great games to be buying Kirby's Adventure for a third time. Will probably get it eventually though. I loves me some Kirby.

I'm taking this to mean Nightmare in Dreamland won't be an Ambassador Game. Which I think gives Amazing Mirror a better shot.

Charging 6 Euros for Kirby seems like a rip off since the 3D effect that they added is pretty much pointless. It shouldn't cost any more than what it costs on the Wii VC.

BooJoh

I don't know if I'll buy Kirby's Adventure or not. It's undoubtedly a great game, but in the case of a game like this, the 3D effect is essentially just an added graphical effect. Given that, I think the graphical update in Nightmare in Dreamland was much more significant than stereo 3D, so I'm torn on whether to buy the 3D Classics version or not.

zigg

Sinthetic said:
Saving my moneyz for Switch Force.
Yeah, I need to add more dollars after Freakyforms...

BooJoh said:
I don't know if I'll buy Kirby's Adventure or not. It's undoubtedly a great game, but in the case of a game like this, the 3D effect is essentially just an added graphical effect. Given that, I think the graphical update in Nightmare in Dreamland was much more significant than stereo 3D, so I'm torn on whether to buy the 3D Classics version or not.
It's true. I think I'll get it anyway though because I don't have Nightmare anymore... I do have KA on the Wii but it's so friggin' inconvenient to play console games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GeekyDad said:
First 3D Classic worth my money. Can't wait for it to hit the States. By the way, what it is with Kirby in Europe. You guys get all kinds of good shit related to the Kirbs. We like Kirby...
The only Kirby-related thing Europe got and we didn't was the Wii TV Channel.

And I think we'll get the 3D Classic tomorrow too.

Looks like the US IS getting Kirby after all! AND a Pinocchio-themed jigsaw puzzle game for Wiiware? How random.
Nintendo News: Nintendo Download Highlights New Digital Content for Nintendo Systems

REDMOND, Wash., Nov 17, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

-- Nintendo eShop -- 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure(TM) -- 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure invites you to explore the world of Dream Land in a whole new way. The landscape comes to life as Kirby crosses land, sea and sky in his quest to restore the Star Rod. (For Nintendo 3DS(TM))

-- Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare(TM) -- Escape Trick: Convenience Store -- When our main character tries to leave the convenience store where he works, he finds that the door won't open and the store looks somehow different. Who would lock him in here? Can he get out of this place? (For Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi(TM))

-- WiiWare(TM) -- Pinocchio's Puzzle -- Solve increasingly difficult puzzles as you progress through the classic tale of Pinocchio. In addition to developing sensory skills and hand-eye coordination, you'll enjoy an endearing and enchanting story told puzzle by puzzle. (For Wii(TM))

Also new this week:

-- The Legend of Zelda Great Fairy's Fountain Theme (Nintendo Video(TM))

-- Play and Learn Chinese (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download55Bf0KSe.php .

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS system, to the Nintendo DSi Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points(TM), which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points(TM), which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card(TM) and Nintendo DSi Points Card(TM) can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii , http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds/systems/dsi .

Note to editors: Nintendo press materials are available at http://press.nintendo.com , a password-protected site. To obtain a login, please contact Deanna Talamantez at 213-438-8742 or dtalamantez@golinharris.com. Users can receive instant Nintendo information by subscribing to the site's RSS feed.

SOURCE: Nintendo

GeekyDad

Schweet. Was hoping it was gonna be part of the Ambassador's Program, but when it wasn't, I figured they had plans for selling it. Makes sense, since it's one of the few NES games that still fully holds up (in my opinion, of course). The 3D should make for a nice visual bonus. If ever an NES game deserved it, this one does. Still one of the prettiest NES games around.

Effect

Looks like Kirby's Adventure will be my very first paid eShop purchase (first time I fill the wallet). I sort of recall playing the game when I was younger but totally sure. I feel once I do so I'll be buying pretty regularly. The problem I had was getting to that point. There are more then a handful of games now that I want to play and I was really just waiting until games of more substance and that held up gameplay wise.

krumble

And having played it on my lunch break
yeah it's kirbys adventure, yeah it's got 3d depth... kind of wishing that all the ambassador NES games were done like this

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
krumble said:
And having played it on my lunch break
yeah it's kirbys adventure, yeah it's got 3d depth... kind of wishing that all the ambassador NES games were done like this

As had been said many times, the 3D Classics are not just developed by pressing a magic button that creates layers and transforms them into 3D. These have all been built from the ground up to be this polished. Giving away 10 free 3D Classics certainly would have been amazing, but considering they take a lot of development time, it doesn't seem feasible.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So how is Kirby 3D ? Never played it but the eShop trailer looked a bit cheap (no full screen ?) ....

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
nincompoop said:
Looks like the US IS getting Kirby after all! AND a Pinocchio-themed jigsaw puzzle game for Wiiware? How random.
Told y'all.

Downloading right now.

krumble

EvilMario said:
As had been said many times, the 3D Classics are not just developed by pressing a magic button that creates layers and transforms them into 3D. These have all been built from the ground up to be this polished. Giving away 10 free 3D Classics certainly would have been amazing, but considering they take a lot of development time, it doesn't seem feasible.

Wasn't asking for them to be free (what we got for free certainly pleased me), was just imagining how good they would be

Morts

For those with Kirby, is the 3D effect more pronounced than it is in the eShop trailer?

I'll probably make it my first eShop purchase even though I'm afraid Nightmare in Dreamland will be one of the GBA Ambassador games.

zigg

Javier said:
Kirby's Adventure 3D is 458 blocks.

That's around... 55 MB.

Holy shit.
That can't be right, because it only takes a few minutes and a few extra Kbytes to make a stereoscopic GIF!

Murrah

Banned
Morts said:
For those with Kirby, is the 3D effect more pronounced than it is in the eShop trailer?

I'll probably make it my first eShop purchase even though I'm afraid Nightmare in Dreamland will be one of the GBA Ambassador games.

I think it's a bit better than the trailer, but that's probably more because of the low quality of the trailer than the game itself; it's definitely more subtle than in the other 3D Classics I've played (Excitebike and Twinbee). It's still visually satisfying though, especially in the crane game minigame

You should be safe with picking it up, I only played about 20 minutes but d-pad placement aside it's definitely the definitive version of the game, and there's no chance Nintendo will release Nightmare in Dreamland for free when this game's already out

Synless

Morts said:

No, I'm also disappointed it doesn't take up the whole screen.

Morts

nckillthegrimace said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this noteworthy?

That's more than 55 times larger than the NES game. Granted it's "remade" to some extent in 3d, and that probably includes an emulator, but it's still surprising.

Anyway, I bought it, mostly because I like the idea of 3D Classics but this is the first one that interested me. I think they did as good a job of 3D-ifying it as they could without redoing the graphics since the original didn't have anything fancy like parallax scrolling. That said, I'm ready for 16 bit 3D Classics. I'd pay a premium for the DKC trilogy and Sonic 1-3 to get this kind of treatment.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kirby's Adventure 3D looks REALLY lazy compared to how they did up Excitebike and Urban Champion.

Of course, it's a hell of a game, so whatever, I suppose.

That is interesting that Kirby is 55MB. I don't know why they wouldn't make it wide screen if it's redone with polygons though. Maybe it's to keep the gameplay as close to the original as possible?

I'm disappointed at the lack of a VC game for the second week in a row. I'm not buying anything this week either.

jgkspsx

The Kirby 3D video just looked boring visually. And I've bought that game enough. I was hoping for something as interesting as Urban Champion visually, but it was probably too demanding for their artists.

I bought Freakyforms instead, despite swearing I wouldn't. Amusing little game so far. It scratches the Skip Ltd. itch a tiny bit, even if it's nowhere near as good as some of their games.

Javier said:

That's around... 55 MB.

Holy shit.

Couldn't do it on WiiWare, which is an odd thought (this is not intended as inflammatory).

It's encouraging that Nintendo has allowed larger sizes for downloads as reported for a while but 55MB does certainly seem like a lot for a NES game.

I've not really got a handle on how many blocks is a lot but this is helpful in seeing how much space I've got until I need to cough up for a new SD card.

GeekyDad

Princess Skittles said:
Kirby's Adventure 3D looks REALLY lazy compared to how they did up Excitebike and Urban Champion.

It's also a hell of a lot more game than those other two. I wonder if perhaps they found a quicker method of reworking classics into 3D. That might be why the effect is less pronounced. Six or so month is a lot of time when it comes to tweaking tech.

Javier said:

That's around... 55 MB.

Holy shit.

That's not surprising at all. This is a complete remake which...

dallow_bg said:
Kirby isn't polygons right?
Must be a lot of redone sprites.

uses flat polygons with high res textures (ALA Paper Mario) rather than sprites. What, you think they took the NES ROM and flicked a switch to magically make it 3D?

Princess Skittles said:

It is not a "lazy port" in the slightest. The engine would have to be completely rewritten and the game rebuilt from the ground up with the graphics completely replaced by flat polygons. It was no doubt the hardest of all of the 3D Classics to make by a country mile.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kirby looks great to me. I don't know why you guys were expecting Urban Champion like isometric camera changes, when Kirby's Adventure is one of the most advanced NES titles and Urban Champion is one of the most simplistic.

Glix

More 3D classics = YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Kid Icarus please. RIGHT NOW. Also my GBA games. Make it happen Reggie

Oh for fuck sake! I'm 30 FUCKING PENCE SHORT OF KIRBY'S ADVENTURE. UGH!!! Had to add £10 just to download it.

Fucking ridiculous, but I've got it now :D

The 3D effect is done in a subtle way. It doesn't really enhance the gameplay at all but it looks nice (with some nice subtle effects where you might not expect them :D )

The biggest upgrade really is the framerate. It's so weird to see Kirby's Adventure NES running so smooth!

One thing that bugs me though is that it takes about a second and a half to save after finishing a level. It's not a huge deal, but I'm so used to having the game (and its GBA remake) saving instantly when you finish a level that it is a bit jarring. It'll probably annoy me when I'm trying to speed run the game, but it's a minor issue really. A few innaccuracies like the way fades are done feel a bit odd and the intro scene is done slightly differently (you have to leave it on the title screen to see the Kirby drawing song), but that's par for the course for the 3D Classics. It's not meant to be a perfectly accurate port after all!

Overall, it seems like a great version of a true classic. I do wish that you could turn off the border though.

d+pad

Kirby's Adventure 3D gets rid of all of the flicker and slow down present in the original Kirby's Adventure, right? If so, I'll definitely be picking it up after I finally get a 3DS.

BTW, I'd be a bit surprised if Nintendo doesn't eventually release a similarly 3D-ified version of the original Super Mario Bros. Seems like that would be just as "easy" as (if not easier than) what they've done with Kirby's Adventure...

beje

Banned
$6.99 in the US? So, that means they finally stopped that $=€ bullshit. Looks like the same happened with Freakyforms.

By the way, how much are Gameboy VC games in the US? In Europe there are two tier pricing: 3€ for simple titles (Alleyway, Tennis...) and 4€ for more meaty stuff. If I remember well, all of them are $4 for you...

Top Bottom