• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

Olorin

Esiquio said:
but I am looking for some better pick up and play type game for my trip to an amusement park this week...you know, to play in the lines.
Aura-Aura Climber is a great pick up and play grapple platformer for only $2. It only has 10 levels and an endless mode, but there's a lot of replay value by trying to S-rank every level and getting all the achievement-like medals.

Roto13

thomaser said:
What is Nicalis' big problem that keeps them from releasing anything in a timely manner? Is it a very, very small team? No money? Bad programming and tons of bugs that prevents their games from being greenlit by Nintendo? I don't understand why they are so extremely slow with these things... I'm in Europe, and still waiting for the DSi Cave Story (which I will buy when it comes out even if I have played through it on the Wii). People are just itching to give this company their money, but they don't seem to want it.
I think they're like High Voltage. A combination of being a small developer and having way too many projects going on at once, all of which are announced way too early.

Celine

Roto13 said:
I think they're like High Voltage. A combination of being a small developer and having way too many projects going on at once, all of which are announced way too early.
HVS has 95 employees, not really that small.
Also they have released many games ...

Why does this game seem awesome? Will buy.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Dekru1pSe281l4YTYbxBwoB8cbjjlLph

QRzYoulVbfQBHZpQrbJIizAKt44TyHYE.jpg
ygVn2UY_TrxNGsaV4boKXUX5KeBUmVZ8.jpg
MYOm8ag7RMo_P8ox1r7DimZwsAm1Dl4X.jpg
ntwmbPBLqpAd8W7lbqI_CMLgoBngy1VT.jpg
NvKYefz0g7kyuNjMaC6gqMJYeflxSr0R.jpg
YyxZ4ZhNL4z7hOqTTHWSEO3Ny-IXAubA.jpg
eJBgFhYhbOvX3M7CS3hDssBCWmTg-QN8.jpg
rkJrTGOaXmtamxRiTEz7Ei5xeP74o73M.jpg
llFq4nsvM41lmKi6VZxm5l3uhaay5og4.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Roto13 said:
HVS releases like three games every year.

I think the problem with Nicalis is just bad management. Cave Story is done. It's out in the US and in Japan, and the Wii version was already released in Europe. They have no excuses.

Roto13

Celine said:
HVS has 95 employees, not really that small.
Also they have released many games ...
Most of their releases are crap they just threw together and probably (hopefully!) don't care about, though. Meanwhile, they've had Animales de la Muerte in development since before WiiWare was launched and I previewed The Grinder at E3 last year and haven't heard a word about it since then. Their big releases are announced too early and take forever.

Esiquio

Olorin said:
Aura-Aura Climber is a great pick up and play grapple platformer for only $2. It only has 10 levels and an endless mode, but there's a lot of replay value by trying to S-rank every level and getting all the achievement-like medals.

Okay, guess I'll buy that one, too. Anyone have a link to a quality list of upcoming DS Shop titles/Virtual Console titles? I want Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, and new unique software to buy. Not sure if I'm going to buy any more DSi games since they save to system memory only and the selection isn't that amazing.

Edit: I heard something about BOXLIFE from people before, but as I recall the reviews were a bit mixed. Thoughts?

jgkspsx

Boxlife is the best download-only puzzle game I've ever played. One of the best puzzlers period. I can see it being a love-it-or-hate-it thing, though. That and Pictobits are the only excellent Art Style games on DSiWare, to my tastes.

I really like Picdun. I just can't get into Kokopolo.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Plus Lufia, which was announced a whiles back. NOA and NOE have plenty of content that they could release at any time, they're just choosing not to release it for God knows what reason.
Lufia wasn't actually announced, it was revealed via ratings leak.

The outstanding announced western VC releases that we know of are:

Wii
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) Aksys
Monster World IV (Genesis) Sega
Strider (Genesis) Capcom
Super Hang-On (Arcade) Sega
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Genesis) Capcom
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade) Sega

3DS
Balloon Fight (NES) Nintendo
Bionic Commando (GB) Capcom
Bonk's Adventure (TG16) Hudson
Columns (GG) Sega
Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) Nintendo
Dragon Crystal (GG) Sega
Ice Climber (NES) Nintendo
Metroid (NES) Nintendo
Metroid II: Return of Samus (Nintendo)
NES Open Tournament Golf (NES) Nintendo
Shinobi (GG) Sega
Sonic Drift 2 (GG) Sega
Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (GG) Sega
Super Mario Bros. (NES) Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda (NES) Nintendo
Wrecking Crew (NES) Nintendo
Yoshi (NES) Nintendo
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) Nintendo

3DS (Ambassador Program only)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) Nintendo
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong (GBA) Nintendo
Metroid Fusion (GBA) Nintendo
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (GBA) Nintendo
Wario Ware Inc.,: Mega MicroGame$ (GBA) Nintendo

pramath

Banned
When is the goddamn system update? And I'm not even asking about the full featured major one that is due later this month, I'm talking about the partial one that was released with Mario 3D Land yesterday (allegedly).

RedSwirl

Nuclear Muffin said:
Plus Lufia, which was announced a whiles back. NOA and NOE have plenty of content that they could release at any time, they're just choosing not to release it for God knows what reason.

And we will never get Contra.

Tyeforce

pramath said:
When is the goddamn system update? And I'm not even asking about the full featured major one that is due later this month, I'm talking about the partial one that was released with Mario 3D Land yesterday (allegedly).
At the end of the month, apparently. The update with Super Mario 3D Land didn't add much. It just tweaked the Friend List a bit so your online Friends appear first in your list, and there's an option to join a friend's game. Dunno if that option actually works or not yet, though (can anyone confirm/deny?). I doubt they'll release such a small update separate before the big one at the end of the month.

Morts

pramath said:

Aren't there no games that support its features until Mario Kart? What's the rush?

Roto13

pramath said:
That update was included with the game and not released for download. And it doesn't do anything important. No need for a tantrum.

@MUWANdo

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Lufia wasn't actually announced, it was revealed via ratings leak.

The outstanding announced western VC releases that we know of are:

Wii
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) Aksys
Monster World IV (Genesis) Sega
Strider (Genesis) Capcom
Super Hang-On (Arcade) Sega
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Genesis) Capcom
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade) Sega

3DS
Balloon Fight (NES) Nintendo
Bionic Commando (GB) Capcom
Bonk's Adventure (TG16) Hudson
Columns (GG) Sega
Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) Nintendo
Dragon Crystal (GG) Sega
Ice Climber (NES) Nintendo
Metroid (NES) Nintendo
Metroid II: Return of Samus (Nintendo)
NES Open Tournament Golf (NES) Nintendo
Shinobi (GG) Sega
Sonic Drift 2 (GG) Sega
Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (GG) Sega
Super Mario Bros. (NES) Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda (NES) Nintendo
Wrecking Crew (NES) Nintendo
Yoshi (NES) Nintendo
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) Nintendo

3DS (Ambassador Program only)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) Nintendo
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong (GBA) Nintendo
Metroid Fusion (GBA) Nintendo
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (GBA) Nintendo
Wario Ware Inc.,: Mega MicroGame$ (GBA) Nintendo

Add Trip World (GB) to the list too, as well as Mega Man 5/X which PAL-land still doesn't have.

I haven't bought a VC game in a long time for my Wii. I bought so many in that first year and a half, but nothing compelling has come out in a while.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know when Nintendo of Canada will actually be selling prepaid eShop cards? It's been nearly 6 months and there's been no information on what's going to be happening. I haven't bought anything off the eShop (except for SML or Zelda: Links Awakening) because I don't have my own credit card. It's getting ridiculous.

On the bright side there's nothing on the eShop worth buying anyway so I shouldn't really be worrying all that much.

Roto13

Yaceka said:
Does anyone know when Nintendo of Canada will actually be selling prepaid eShop cards? It's been nearly 6 months and there's been no information on what's going to be happening. I haven't bought anything off the eShop (except for SML or Zelda: Links Awakening) because I don't have my own credit card. It's getting ridiculous.

On the bright side there's nothing on the eShop worth buying anyway so I shouldn't really be worrying all that much.
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Whatever makes you feel better about not being able to buy any of it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How many of them are eShop games, though? And even taking DSiWare/VC stuff into account, how much of it is genuinely good and not just "good for a Game Boy game", or "better than all the other DSiWare crap"? If you're not interested in buying a thousand puzzles games then DSiWare might as well not even exist.

vferrel said:
I haven't bought a VC game in a long time for my Wii. I bought so many in that first year and a half, but nothing compelling has come out in a while.
no vc games have been released at all in the last 6 months or so in europe. it's pathetic.

Roto13

@MUWANdo said:
How many of them are eShop games, though? And even taking DSiWare/VC stuff into account, how much of it is genuinely good and not just "good for a Game Boy game", or "better than all the other DSiWare crap"? If you're not interested in buying a thousand puzzles games then DSiWare might as well not even exist.
One of them is an eShop game, nine of them are Game Boy games (and they're all legitimately good, because the Game Boy had quite a few legitimately great games) and the rest are DSiWare, all but one or two of which I am happy to have because they're actually good games. I am not starved for content. I don't care what system the games I play are on. I don't buy any games just because I want to get some use out of my 3DS. I have games like Pictobits and Bomberman and Donkey Kong '94 because they're great, not because I couldn't be bothered to buy anything on the PlayStation Network for some reason.

@MUWANdo said:
Add Trip World (GB) to the list too, as well as Mega Man 5/X which PAL-land still doesn't have.
Those were also revealed via ratings boards, not actually announced. For all those games, at least those that are less than 2 years old:

Wii
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (SNES) Square Enix
Mega Man 5 (NES) Capcom (EU)
Mega Man X2 (SNES) Capcom
World Heroes 2 (NeoGeo) D4

3DS
Adventure Island (GB) Hudson (NA)
Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC) Sunsoft
Dr. Mario (GB) Nintendo
Lock 'N Chase (GB) G-mode
Trip World (GB) Sunsoft
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) Nintendo

Roto13 said:
One of them is an eShop game, nine of them are Game Boy games (and they're all legitimately good, because the Game Boy had quite a few legitimately great games) and the rest are DSiWare, all but one or two of which I am happy to have because they're actually good games. I am not starved for content. I don't care what system the games I play are on. I don't buy any games just because I want to get some use out of my 3DS. I have games like Pictobits and Bomberman and Donkey Kong '94 because they're great, not because I couldn't be bothered to buy anything on the PlayStation Network for some reason.
Who are you trying to fool. Obviously @Muwando's opinion on the quality of Game Boy and DSiware games carries more weight than yours, since he hasn't actually played any. Stop being a fanboy who bases his opinions on silly things like actual gameplay impressions and learn to accept that all eshop games suck because they're eshop games, like true unbiased gamers do.

@MUWANdo said:
Shante, Cave Story, Dark Void Zero, X-Scape & Zelda Four Swords say hi. And barring those there are soo many really good games on DSiWare that just get ignored like Dragon Quest Wars, Escapee GO!, Picdun, The Pop Island games, Starship Patrol, Mario vs Donkey Kong and many others. I've been very happy with the output from DSiWare and it kinda annoys me when I see people talking it down. The only issue with DSiWare is that no one barring sites like Tiny Cartridge or Nintendolife have really gone out of their way to talk it up and as a result it gets ignored and when good games come out for it not many people notice and thus they don't sell well.

As for the eShop I'll not deny its been pretty weak the effort thats been put into it, yes I would have loved to see more come out for it but I've been happy with pretty much all thats come out. Barring 2 or 3 of the VC games I think I've bought every VC/3D remake/3DSWare title thats come out.

I'm really hoping that with the release of FreakyForms we start seeing things pick up, as far as I'm concerned this is the first major release for the platform. I'd love to see Nintendo try and do some major promotion for this game, its just really the kind of game that I can see doing very well with the more casual gamers.

On the bright side about 3DSware I'm sure Might Switch Force and Mutant Mudds are due out sometime this year so really looking forward to getting my hands on them.

@MUWANdo

Banned
nincompoop said:
Who are you trying to fool. Obviously @Muwando's opinion on the quality of Game Boy and DSiware games carries more weight than yours, since he hasn't actually played any. Stop being a fanboy who bases his opinions on silly things like actual gameplay impressions and learn to accept that all eshop games suck because they're eshop games, like true unbiased gamers do.

What? I've played literally everything that's come out on the eShop in AU/NZ, and a fair chunk of the DSiWare library too (including a bunch of stuff from the EU store that we never received here in Australia).

Some of it's excellent, some of it's very good, most of it is terrible ; this scenario is hardly unique to the eShop, sure, but you at least get the impression that the other DD platforms are being proactive in securing big quality releases on a regular basis, yet Nintendo, the world largest and arguably best video game developer, can barely be arsed to make an effort on its own platform, even when it has a massive backlog of legacy software it could release in practically no time at all if it wanted to.

So, anyone pick up Castle Conqueror: Heroes? I've been hearing some really good things about it, and the change over to turn based strategy is piquing my interest.

@MUWANdo said:
What? I've played literally everything that's come out on the eShop in AU/NZ, and a fair chunk of the DSiWare library too (including a bunch of stuff from the EU store that we never received here in Australia).
I can kinda see why you'd be bitter with the DSiWare just dealing with the Aus/NZ stores, I'm soo glad I got a US 3DS and don't need to put up with the trickle that we got from Nintendo on the DSi

@MUWANdo

Banned
Don't get me wrong, even after region-switching my 3DS and accessing the full gamut of software the ratio of good to bad is still extremely low. I understand why this is the case (and have outlined many of the reasons why in several threads such as this), and I still make an effort to keep up with new and upcoming releases, but that doesn't change the fact that the eShop blows and will continue to blow if it doesn't start to get a regular release of quality software.

Like I said, barren.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
@MUWANdo said:
Like I said, barren.
You also think the PS2 was barren too? Because you know the ratio of good vs bad and all.

There are more than enough legitimately good games to play on the platform, and this is what matters to those people who ask for good game recommendations. Shocking, I know.

GeekyDad

Gunloc said:
So, anyone pick up Castle Conqueror: Heroes? I've been hearing some really good things about it, and the change over to turn based strategy is piquing my interest.

Nah, but I noticed it received a 9 by at least one website. I'll have to check it out...once I get to the backlog of other DSiWare games I've wanted to purchase. Though I'm still so disappointed with how little 3DSWare has left Japan, there's still ample DSiWare to catch up to.

CoolS

btw. is there a date for Mighty Switch Force yet? I saw the trailer last week on the eshop and it looked awesome. Oh well, tomorrows's Kirby day. Not that I'll be able to play it with Zelda arriving today..

@MUWANdo

Banned
Man, I don't know why I expect Cave Story to be announced every week. It never is.

CoolS said:
btw. is there a date for Mighty Switch Force yet? I saw the trailer last week on the eshop and it looked awesome.

Nope.

Mafro

Saw the trailer for Kirby's Adventure. Looks like a lazy as fuck effort compared to the other 3D classics. No widescreen and the 3D effect is very muted.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Next week...

uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Cave Story (Asterizm | 1000 Points | ¥1000) Upcoming (11/22)

And tomorrow...

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

• 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo | €6.00 | £5.40) Upcoming (11/17)

Wii | WiiWare

• Jam City Rollergirls (Frozen Codebase | 500 Points) Upcoming (11/17)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Bugs'N'Balls (EnjoyUp Games | 200 Points | €2.00 | £1.80) Upcoming (11/17)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Escape Trick seems really neat - VERY different, but I really dig the premise for some reason. I'll buy that for sure.

Is there a thread of recommended 3DS Shop/DSi Ware stuff? The way that thing is organized makes it nearly impossible to browse for impulse buys.

thomaser said:
I don't understand why they are so extremely slow with these things... I'm in Europe, and still waiting for the DSi Cave Story (which I will buy when it comes out even if I have played through it on the Wii). People are just itching to give this company their money, but they don't seem to want it.
Yeah I don’t get it either. I’m in the US and we waited for Cave Story for what seems like forever. Fantastic game but the wait was ridiculous.

Now I’m waiting for La Mulana, a game which has already released in Japan and apparently has an English version ready to go. It remains the sole reason I check this thread as I’ve given up on Nintendo’s services long ago.

Top Bottom