• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

Got stuck in Convenience Store. For the safe puzzle,
I can't for the life of me figure out what they want me to do with the couch.
Can anyone give me a non-explicit hint?

EDIT: Oh ah. Makes sense. I swear I tried that before, though. Now I'm stuck with ketchup, gum, a toy car, and fried chicken. What now...

The game is not bad. It is very roughly localized, but that's appropriate to being set in an ABC store in Hawaii. The touch implementation is very frustrating, since you can't tell if an object is interactive unless you swipe it the right way. I'd be more comfortable recommending it if it were $2. But for adventure gamers, it is worth trying.

The touch part is very frustrating indeed. I'm still on the last puzzle. Gah.

Glix

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
2:33 including some idle time, ~85% completion.

- It's been about 5 years since I've played through KA.
- The 3D effect is very subtle. Sometimes it almost felt 2D and I had to check that the slider was even on. They seem to opt for tinting the backgrounds sort of subtly. I actually like this a lot, I was surprised at how much I liked the game visually.
- The visuals are significantly better than I remember here. Maybe it's because of the 3D stuff or maybe they updated the assets, but the colour palette is much much more vibrant than I remember. Some of the different level designs really really pop, and the game as a whole looks more at home as an early SNES title than a NES title.
- The controls were more awkward than I remember. Kirby moves too slowly both vertically and horizontally. Dashing helps. Jumping doesn't feel fun. I remember feeling this prior times I've played the game, but it seems exascerbated as a result of the 3DS; I'm not a fan of the d-pad or the circle pad for the game.

- The game itself is pretty good but not great, I wouldn't put it in the top echelon of NES platformers (SMB 1-3, DuckTales, Little Mermaid, the earlier Mega Men, Bionic Commando, some others). The real strengths of the game are its excellent world map and alternate switch level unlocks which are a precursor to Super Mario World, and the way that some of the powerups lead towards levels where very specific experimentation is rewarded (like the level where you get the wheelie powerup and race downwards to get an alternate exit, or the various levels where you can light a fuse and run towards a cannon. It's a pity the game doesn't really dedicate itself to this, so it's too easy to sort of float through the game without really getting the most out of it. Sometimes levels feel like they're designed for a specific powerup, but maybe you didn't bother taking it or maybe you lost it and then you awkwardly kind of hop/float through the level. Too bad.

- The powerups are a mixed bag. To this day I can't successfully use the ball or tornado powerups. Personally I tend to try to keep spark or freeze around because they just decimate the minibosses. Often if you spam the powerups you can kill a miniboss before it even moves. I killed Wispy Woods before he dropped a single apple or bramble just by sitting next to him and spamming freeze.

- I love all the side games. Quick draw, crane game, the little end of level timing bouncy game.

Overall I'd probably recommend the game. $7 is a bit of a stretch given that it's available for $5 elsewhere and that was already a bit of a stretch, but it was fun to replay and I'm really impressed by the game visually.

Previous 3DS VC Replay Impressions: Super Mario Land 2, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Donkey Kong 94, Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land

I LOVED it. The 3D style grew on me and I ended up loving it so much. I really want to see the original, because I'm AMAZED if the original looked like this, it looks so good (sans 3D obviously)

PROTIP - THIS GAME USES 3 BUTTONS. I'm not sure how tossing away powers worked in the original (a+b maybe?), but now it's Y. I never expected them to add another button, so I couldn't figure that out for a while.

rpmurphy

I LOVED it. The 3D style grew on me and I ended up loving it so much. I really want to see the original, because I'm AMAZED if the original looked like this, it looks so good (sans 3D obviously)

PROTIP - THIS GAME USES 3 BUTTONS. I'm not sure how tossing away powers worked in the original (a+b maybe?), but now it's Y. I never expected them to add another button, so I couldn't figure that out for a while.
It was Select in the original game to get rid powers.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, the JP November 22 update has been and gone with no firmware upgrade, the 30th it is.

Oh, and Europe is getting Metroid II on the 3DS VC this week, too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
As it turns out, the update is scheduled for November 30th.
Nintendo pushing it as much as they can again, I see.

Well, presuming that a UK TV ad giving the last day in November indicates the actual date of release... it could just be a careful way of ensuring they can't get sued for false advertising, providing the last possible date it could be available. I mean, we DID get the Ambassador Games one or two days earlier.

We've never gotten an OFFICIAL date, and the 22nd thing was someone asking a random Australian Nintendo rep, I thought...

jgkspsx

Totally stuck on Convenience Store. So I
opened the middle locker. I assume I need to put the mirror in the copy machine to make a copy of the fingerprint to scan, or something like that. But I can't figure out how to change anything anymore.
Vague hints gratefully accepted.

NintendoLife rated it 4/10. I would probably agree, with an extra point or two for fans of the genre.

Totally stuck on Convenience Store. So I
opened the middle locker. I assume I need to put the mirror in the copy machine to make a copy of the fingerprint to scan, or something like that. But I can't figure out how to change anything anymore.
Vague hints gratefully accepted.

NintendoLife rated it 4/10. I would probably agree, with an extra point or two for fans of the genre.

My hint is to examine the mirror. Then, after that, you already have everything you need on your person... Just don't move from the mirror.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This week...

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Metroid II: Return of Samus (Nintendo | Game Boy | $?) Upcoming (11/24)

Wii | WiiWare

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

vYU92.png

Wii | WiiWare

• Big Town Shoot Out (PDP | 500 Points) Upcoming (11/24)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Escape Trick: The Secret of Rock City Prison (Intense | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (11/24)
  • Just Sing! Christmas Vol. 3 (dtp young entertainment | 200 Points | €2.00 | £1.80) Upcoming (11/24)

Next week...

uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

• Trip World (SunSoft | Game Boy | ¥400) Upcoming (11/30)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
... And double posting because it's important.

A new game is headed to the Nintendo 3DS™ system, and it won't be available in stores. Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword™ lets players travel to ancient Japan and guide a young warrior as he battles waves of enemy soldiers to save a princess. He must identify the enemy's attack move, dodge it by a hair and counter-attack with his own mystical Sakura Sword to win the battle. The game launches in January.

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword is just one of many high-quality, Nintendo-published downloadable games that can be found in the Nintendo eShop.

On Nov. 24, Nintendo will release the original 2D version of Metroid™ II: Return of Samus™. This Game Boy™ classic has intergalactic bounty hunter Samus™ Aran battling Space Pirates as she seeks to destroy Metroids on SR388. The game lays the foundation for the smash hit Super Metroid™.

In December, Pushmo lets players try to push, pull and climb their way to the top to solve more than 200 3D puzzles. Play as Mallo, the hero of the game, who is small in size but has a big heart and big muscles to match. Players will use him to move the giant blocks that make up the Pushmo puzzles. Solving the puzzles will free the kids who were accidently trapped inside them. There is also a Pushmo puzzle creator so players can make their own puzzles and share them with their friends.

Players who can't wait to get their hands on these games can check out some other downloadable games that are available right now in the Nintendo eShop, such as Freakyforms™: Your Creations, Alive! The game lets players create all kinds of wild creatures and bring them to life. No drawing skills are needed, so players of all ages can give it a try. Then they can customize the color and the look, and add eyes and a mouth before the creature comes to life and explores its world.

Also currently available is 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure™. The classic Kirby™ game has been re-mastered in 3D. Players explore the world of Dream Land and help Kirby cross land, sea and sky in his quest to restore the Star Rod.

For more information about Nintendo eShop, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/downloads.

The US eShop will also get Metroid II on the 24th, and Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword is coming in January.

why is that samurai trailer only running at 20 fps

EDIT actually only 15 fps according to youtube video info, 20 according to fraps

Sorta OT, Is the eShop version of Earthworm Jim any good? I keep scrolling by it in the shop and loved it as a kid. Did Gameloft fuck up the port?

What about the original Rayman?

jgkspsx

My hint is to examine the mirror. Then, after that, you already have everything you need on your person... Just don't move from the mirror.

Thanks!
But I'm still totally stuck. I've tried sliding, using the key, the chicken, the gum, the ketchup, the car, and the paper, all to no avail. Did I miss an item somewhere?

My friend just told me Kirby was on the eShop now.

Downloaded it. It's so good! It's like the NES game, but without the frame rate drops every second!

Also, yay at Metroid II coming to the eShop. It's actually my favorite Metroid game.

Glix

Are we SURE the Eshop is getting updated on THUR? Its a holiday. Maybe Wed, maybe, GASP, Monday?

I'm afraid.

EDIT - Trip world looks super cool! Did it ever come out in the USA?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are we SURE the Eshop is getting updated on THUR? Its a holiday. Maybe Wed, maybe, GASP, Monday?

I'm afraid.

Yes, but it's incredibly rare. ESRB did rate Trip World last month, so there's hope it will come out here.

Why? It's the most linear of the original trilogy and it's the one I've beat the most.

Very tough, very raw. Playing it in 1991 for the first time is a lot different than playing it in 2011 for the first time.

Murrah

Banned

I'm afraid.

I seem to recall the Wii Virtual Console being updated on Christmas day in 2006. No holiday can stop Nintendo

chixdiggit

When are we getting the rest of the Ambassador games? I seem to remember that I was going to get Yoshi's Island and some others... or am I delusional?

Javier

Official press release:

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - NOV. 24, 2011

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
Metroid™ II - Return of Samus™ – Bounty Hunter Samus Aran faces off against the Metroid scourge once again in this epic sequel to the NES™ classic, Metroid. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™
Come On! Heroes – This action game tests your reactions. The "Lovely Heiress" is being held for ransom. Mr. King announces that anyone who brings back his daughter will receive a great reward. (For Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi™)

WiiWare™
Big Bass Arcade – Big Bass Arcade is loaded with fishing action. Catch a boatload of fish and take a shot at the World Record Bass. Compete in Challenges and Tournaments, or Free Fish any lake at your own pace. (For Wii™)

Also new this week:
• Battle of the Elements (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit:
http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download4LsP03vC.php

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just noticed something in the eShop... Zen Pinball 3D is listed as coming on December 1, ie next Thursday! Price is $7.50AUD, so about $5USD I'm guessing (sidenote: fuck buying games locally).

Top Bottom