• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2011

@MUWANdo

Banned
I check the UK store and Zen Pinball is priced at 4.50 there, so if the worldwide prices are consistent with other eShop games it'll be 5 euros and $5 USD in Europe/NA respectively. I wonder how the DLC will be priced.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Zen Pinball is so bought!

Roto13 that isn't funny unless you're 12 I guess, don't spread bullshit c'mon someone could believe you

Roto13

Zen Pinball is so bought!

Roto13 that isn't funny unless you're 12 I guess, don't spread bullshit c'mon someone could believe you

I wish people WOULD believe me so they could stop asking about them every five seconds. When they come out, you will know.

Adventure Island GB is listed as "Coming soon" on the American eShop.

Cool. I never played any GB Adventure Islands. Are they as tough as the NES games?

It looks like Pushmo will be coming soon too. I thought that one looked the best out of the bunch Nintendo showed in Nintendo Direct.

Esiquio

image.php

Hint: He's joking

GaussTek

Hey guys, I have like $5 left on my card and I'm thinking on getting something from the eShop. Then I remembered about Dragon Quest Wars. Is that game any good? I mean, it is something like the Advance Wars games? I have the feeling it's going to be too short.

Or, another good old/obscure/cheap game worth checking? If not, I may just get Zelda Link's Awakening DX (already finished it on the GBC, but I also want to replay it).

rpmurphy

Hey guys, I have like $5 left on my card and I'm thinking on getting something from the eShop. Then I remembered about Dragon Quest Wars. Is that game any good? I mean, it is something like the Advance Wars games? I have the feeling it's going to be too short.

Or, another good old/obscure/cheap game worth checking? If not, I may just get Zelda Link's Awakening DX (already finished it on the GBC, but I also want to replay it).
Dragon Quest Wars is made to be a multiplayer game, so it does not have a single player campaign like those in SRPG's. There are something like 10 levels but are meant to be tutorials, and the meat of the game is playing against other players locally, online (however, I have no idea how active it is anymore considering it was never that active when it launched), or against CPU teams. It's fun like chess or checkers in ways.

BooJoh

I'm still bothered by the fact that GB VC games don't have SGB or GBC Pallete support. Metroid 2 is one of the big offenders IMO. Playing Metroid 2 without GBC palletes is almost like playing Metroid 1 on a black & white TV.

GaussTek

Dragon Quest Wars is made to be a multiplayer game, so it does not have a single player campaign like those in SRPG's. There are something like 10 levels but are meant to be tutorials, and the meat of the game is playing against other players locally, online (however, I have no idea how active it is anymore considering it was never that active when it launched), or against CPU teams. It's fun like chess or checkers in ways.

Ahh thanks a lot for the info. I was looking for a single player game, so I guess this is a no go (for now at least lol)

So, I guess I'll just get Zelda LA.

isny

napkin dispenser
Ahh thanks a lot for the info. I was looking for a single player game, so I guess this is a no go (for now at least lol)

So, I guess I'll just get Zelda LA.

LA is always the correct answer.

For example:
Question: "Does this dress make me look fat?" Answer: "You look as beautiful as Marin in that dress!"
Question: "Should I buy a gold plated Fleshlight or a new car?" Answer: "Buy LA and you'll forget about both in about five minutes."
Question: "What's the best game evar?" Answer: "E.T. for the Atari, wait, no, LA DX..."

Back on topic, so tempted to buy Metroid, but it's gotten to the point that I feel like I'm wasting money buying the games in B/W when it's 2011 =( (I've purchased both Mario Lands in B/W on the VC so far, but it left a bad taste in my mouth after the fact)

I'm still bothered by the fact that GB VC games don't have SGB or GBC Pallete support. Metroid 2 is one of the big offenders IMO. Playing Metroid 2 without GBC palletes is almost like playing Metroid 1 on a black & white TV.

Agreed. $4 is a great deal and people who don't have a Gameboy system should pick it up but I'm currently playing Metroid II on my GBA and it looks so much better, here is a pic I took of the awesome built in color pallete the GBA adds to it:

Metroid3.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
Agreed. $4 is a great deal and people who don't have a Gameboy system should pick it up but I'm currently playing Metroid II on my GBA and it looks so much better, here is a pic I took of the awesome built in color pallete the GBA adds to it:

This is why I refuse to buy it =(

There have been full fan remakes done and yet Nintendo still expects us to pay $4 for it in B/W =/

That looks awesome.

That does indeed look pretty fun. Can't wait to see what sort of reviews it gets.

Just realized it's been at least two months since I bothered to check my Wii Shop channel, what a joke. At this rate we won't get Wonderboy Arcade and Strider and SF II for the Genny until the Wii U launch.

jgkspsx

You guys are totally right about Metroid II. But, uh. Gosh, I love Metroid II. I bought it about ten minutes after it was up.

Pushmo is so day 1.

This is why I refuse to buy it =(

There have been full fan remakes done and yet Nintendo still expects us to pay $4 for it in B/W =/

It's emulating a Game Boy, not a Super Game Boy.

That's like complaining that SNES titles available on the Wii's virtual console don't have all the filtering options that the Sonic releases on the 360 offer.

jgkspsx

Let's see, we've been able to play these games in color on the SNES, the GBC, the GBA, and the Gamecube - all for the price of a single cart. And we're being unreasonable to expect Nintendo to give us colorization when we purchase it for the same price (or a bit less) than an original cart would cost?

P.S. It still irritates me that Nintendo cancelled Metroid II DX. I would have bought it then and would have been much happier with rebuying it even at the higher GBC price.

Let's see, we've been able to play these games in color on the SNES, the GBC, the GBA, and the Gamecube - all for the price of a single cart. And we're being unreasonable to expect Nintendo to give us colorization when we purchase it for the same price (or a bit less) than an original cart would cost?

P.S. It still irritates me that Nintendo cancelled Metroid II DX. I would have bought it then and would have been much happier with rebuying it even at the higher GBC price.

Well, technically the SNES and GC all required a $50+ extra piece of hardware, and you could argue that the GBC and GBA were required upgrades from the original Game Boy hardware...

Also "the price of a single cart" was a lot more than $4 when the game came out.

It's emulating a Game Boy, not a Super Game Boy.

That's like complaining that SNES titles available on the Wii's virtual console don't have all the filtering options that the Sonic releases on the 360 offer.

That's a terrible comparison. Genesis carts can't be played on a 360 with awful filtering options, while old GB games can easily be played on a GBC or GBA with color options, some even designated specifically like Metroid 2. There's very much an authentic handheld experience that's being left off the table by Nintendo here.

Madao

there's the fact that the game is old as fuck and might come with dead batteries if i got an used copy.

so far i'm buying games i missed back in the day only (LADX being the only exception since i had it already). M2 is like the only Metroid game i've never played.

Morts

Is Metroid II any good if you have no nostalgia for it? It's the only Metroid I've never played, though I didn't get too far into the NES original because it was just too primitive for me.

Is Metroid II any good if you have no nostalgia for it? It's the only Metroid I've never played, though I didn't get too far into the NES original because it was just too primitive for me.

Don't

You're gonna get the nes version with less colors, humongous sprites that cover half the screen. No automap.

If you felt that the nes one was primitive, please don't touch this one. We don't need people whining because they can't handle old games.

Goody

Oh, man, downloaded Metroid II as soon as it went up. It's always been one of my favorites and I haven't played it in year. I put some time in today and it was as awesome as I remember.

M3d10n

Oh. they added lots of videos and game entries this time, most of them not listed in the "new videos stuff" section.

There's a new teaser for Might Switch Force, and trailers for Pushmo and Mutant Flud in the "coming to eshop" section.

Mutant Flud looks really great, it's very sharp, the colors are great and the 3D effect actually made me grin a little because that's exactly the kind of 3D depth I wanted from a 2D game. I had no interest in this game when it looked like an ugly 3D platformer, but now it's a day one purchase for me.

Mrbob

Are those Anonymous Notes games any good?

Looks pretty cheap for $1.99, but each chapter is split up? How long is each chapter? I like top down action rpg games and it looks like one. Anyone play them?

I wish the E shop was better organized. I see the first volume but how many overall are there?

Zee-Row

Banned
I hope Nintendo releases a revised 3DS with better Start and Select buttons. Pushing Select to switch to missiles on the 3DS is crap for Metroid 2.

kunonabi

I had forgotten how smooth Metroid II was. That y button is awesome for missile use and almost makes up for the lack of color.

I still prefer Metroid II over most of the other games in the series.

Roto13

Yeah but there are other games out there that don't have that benefit.

No games use Select for anything important you need to do during gameplay. The only reason Metroid 2 uses select is because A and B were taken.

The start and select buttons on the 3DS suck, but let's not pretend select is an important button in 2011.

Esiquio

"Holiday" tree. :p

Yeah, that's annoying. Link still has his cross on the shield, thought. Pushmo looks really awesome, but can't say I dig the art style.

Edit:

No games use Select for anything important you need to do during gameplay. The only reason Metroid 2 uses select is because A and B were taken.

The start and select buttons on the 3DS suck, but let's not pretend select is an important button in 2011.

I personally like the Select/Home/Start buttons on the 3DS. I use all three constantly, especially during this play through of Link's Awakening I'm doing right now. Oh wait, I can just press Y instead of Select...hmmm, might be hard to break the habit.

Zee-Row

Banned

My main problem isn't even the positioning but how out of the way your thumb has to go to press it down for either Start or Select.

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone explain the controls/general gameplay strategy of Kirby's Adventure to me?

I don't get why I'm allowed to suck in air and just fly across all the levels... It seems unchallenging.

Also the controls are so unintuitive... In that department I think I've been spoiled this gen.

rpmurphy

Can someone explain the controls/general gameplay strategy of Kirby's Adventure to me?

I don't get why I'm allowed to suck in air and just fly across all the levels... It seems unchallenging.

Also the controls are so unintuitive... In that department I think I've been spoiled this gen.
You can do that, but there are many levels where areas of that type make you very vulnerable to damage because enemies come from above, while you have low mobility and have only one limited method of attack. Besides, it's slow and boring to move through all the levels that way. Using it as an escape maneuver certainly can be a life-saver, but levels and bosses are designed to encourage you to use the other powers available to you in order to progress more effectively or progress at all.

You can do that, but there are many levels where areas of that type make you very vulnerable to damage because enemies come from above, while you have low mobility and have only one limited method of attack. Besides, it's slow and boring to move through all the levels that way. Using it as an escape maneuver certainly can be a life-saver, but levels and bosses are designed to encourage you to use the other powers available to you in order to progress more effectively or progressing at all.

Yeah I don't understand people who claim you can just fly over everything in Kirby. Trying to do that either won't work or will get you killed more often than not.

Yeah I don't understand people who claim you can just fly over everything in Kirby. Trying to do that either won't work or will get you killed more often than not.
Or just isn't fun. Seriously, Kirby's float speed is a lot slower than his normal speed. I've tried floating everywhere and immediately got bored. Then I decided to play the game correctly and it became more fun.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nontheless I'm with BowieZ, I don't like being allowed to do that myself.
I know as a NES game is an achievement but that 'feature' as always ruined KA for me.

watershed

Banned
Anyone else notice the wii games section on the 3ds eshop this week? Kinda cool to watch those trailers on the 3ds but also kinda sad that 3ds games don't look that good.

wsippel

Banned
I check the UK store and Zen Pinball is priced at 4.50 there, so if the worldwide prices are consistent with other eShop games it'll be 5 euros and $5 USD in Europe/NA respectively. I wonder how the DLC will be priced.
Very pleasant surprise. I expected €7.99 - that's how much I've paid for Zen Pinball on PS3 if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom