• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially giving away NX consoles as Splatoon eSports prize

Bioshocker

This is getting absurd.

enhanced-buzz-611-1384550546-2.jpg

Avixph

I bet if it were the Neo, people would of reacted quite the opposite.

Seriously though you're playing Splatoon which is on a Nintendo console. By winning you're getting a brand new Nintendo system. There's an incentive in being in the contest.

But the the Neo isn't a new console with yet unseen games.

kaioshade

I bet if it were the Neo, people would of reacted quite the opposite.

Seriously though you're playing Splatoon which is on a Nintendo console. By winning you're getting a brand new Nintendo system. There's an incentive in being in the contest.

Nowhere near the same thing. We have actually SEEN the damned thing.

pelican

Nintendo

The way it usually works is reveal a product, detail the product launch and then offer it up as a competition prize.

This is a mixture of being a cool incentive and down right bizarre.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
They don't give away a system.
They just tell the winner what it is.

Lmao. I would not have predicted three years ago that in 2016 we'd be getting new hardware reveals from the big 3. Also would not have guessed how thirsty we'd be.

Speely

Banned
But the the Neo isn't a new console with yet unseen games.

Neither will the NX be (a console with unseen games) by the time there are winners. Unless we are assuming that the NX is going to be so utterly shitty that not even hardcore Splatoon fans will be interested in it, in which case there's nothing for it but to pre-cancel your pre-order.

LOL
I imagine how GAF would react to a contest where Sony would gift a PS4 Neo as a gift.
Obviously asinine, right?

Sony has actually disclosed a decent amount of information about what the PS4 Neo is ever since they first revealed it was a thing. They're also planning to reveal it today, which would only make it a few months since they first announced it around E3. Trying to paint the state of the NX and your hypothetical scenario with the PS4 Neo as the same is disingenuous.

Oddish1

It could potentially have a launch line up like the Wii U's.

Yes, if the NX has a Wii U launch line up then it will make the winners of a Splatoon tournament regret winning an expensive electronic toy for free. I'm sure they'll practically be paying Nintendo to take it back.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The real truth of the matter is, GAF is upset they didn't get a place in the tournament so won't be in for a chance to win the NX so are convincing themselves that the prize is worthless.

Jackano

Serious question, what's the state of Splatoon as a eSport?
Is there teams of 4 highly skilled professionnal players from Russia or South Korea? I imagine not.

Deku89

I'm at the point where I wonder if they forgot that they haven't told us yet. Like they made plans and didn't carry through (but thought they did).

Calm Mind

NX is a riddle when solved transports you to a higher plane of reality not bound by human perception. Long story short, ALIENS.

NickMitch

Can´t fathom the saltyness here.

My guess is that splatoon fans is indeed pretty hyped by nintendo hardware in general - and the probability of a sequel och continuation of splatoon is absurdly high.

Nintendo exploring new venues for promotion is good news by my standards..Brand awareness in niche arenas (mario in rio olympics closing arrangement)

Also i predict a splash commercial about NX when you start pokemon go in 3 months.

If I can play Splatoon on a handheld with 4G data I'll be there day one. But I just know this NX console won't get that, and be limited to WIFi which would be very unfortunate!

You won't be there then. There's none way 4g can handle the amount of data needed for a splatoon match. There state of the map is constantly changing as players cover up each other's ink. There's also the special moves which would bring the game to a crawl. I've played multi-player FPS on mobile before and it worked ok, but I just can't see how 4g could keep up with all that fluid.

Menitta

The saltiness comes from the fact that Nintendo has a product they want people to buy, yet is doing almost everything in their power to not tell us what it is.

Im pretty sure Gabe gave Nintendo a copy of Half Life 3 and they built a console around it, called NX.

The console can never be released. Only hinted at. But at least Miyamoto and Reggie got to play Half Life 3.

Alternate timeline: "When will Nintendo learn not to reveal their shit too early?"

Which incidentally is what REALLY happened.

NX was initially revealed way too early. We are now living through what would otherwise be pretty reasonable timing... Had the NX been revealed a few months ago.

N.Grim

NX was initially revealed way too early. We are now living through what would otherwise be pretty reasonable timing... Had the NX been revealed a few months ago.

Alternate timeline: "Nintendo is going mobile"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Alternate timeline: "Nintendo is going mobile"

Which would have been proven wrong by the actual reveal of NX. Or the launch of Miitomo, whichever came first.

There was no sane discussion about Nintendo going full mobile in any reality.

Jackano

Alternate timeline: "When will Nintendo learn not to reveal their shit too early?"

To be fair, it wasn't "revealed". Iwata dropped the fact that they were working on a dedicated system to show investors their commitment in this business, the day they announced the DeNA partnership, alongside the NX codename.

And "early" is debatable here. Back in April/May when we didn't saw the PR coming, some of us felt something was going on. Revealing at E3 for the following holiday was the bare minimum (5 months).
Now we are supposedly ~6 months before the end of March, it is fair to expect an announcement in September. Otherwise, discussing a potential delay to Q2 2016 will be a valid topic.

Pachimari

You won't be there then. There's none way 4g can handle the amount of data needed for a splatoon match. There state of the map is constantly changing as players cover up each other's ink. There's also the special moves which would bring the game to a crawl. I've played multi-player FPS on mobile before and it worked ok, but I just can't see how 4g could keep up with all that fluid.

Which is what I said in the first place.

Just announce the thing already... these little nonsense teases are pointless. No one wants a "system code-named NX" when they don't even know what it is or what games will be available on it.

To be fair, it wasn't "revealed". Iwata dropped the fact that they were working on a dedicated system to show investors their commitment in this business, the day they announced the DeNA partnership, alongside the NX codename.

And "early" is debatable here. Back in April/May when we didn't saw the PR coming, some of us felt something was going on. Revealing at E3 for the following holiday was the bare minimum (5 months).
Now we are supposedly ~6 months before the end of March, it is fair to expect an announcement in September. Otherwise, discussing a potential delay to Q2 2016 will be a valid topic.

For investors, yeah, we technically can't count that. But it was revealed by Reggie during E3 2015 publicly in a marketing piece meant for their consumers, not the shareholders (Nintendo Digital Event).

So yeah, a full unveiling is loooooooooong overdue.

Hermii

Just announce the thing already... these little nonsense teases are pointless. No one wants a "system code-named NX" when they don't even know what it is or what games will be available on it.

I do.

And through leaks and Nintendo statements we have a decent idea what it is.

Why is there outrage about this but not about the Uniqlo contest from a few months ago? I guess because this is officially from Nintendo (even though that was pretty damn official too)?

Also please ask yourself if you WOULDN'T be excited to win a brand new unannounced console as a prize... As video game enthusiasts, wouldn't that be one of the best prizes you could possibly win?

No, I don't think so. NX being in development was announced just at the right time when everyone started to think that Nintendo needs to make their next step now that PS4 and Xbox One surpassed it almost everywhere.

But enough of that.

This thread is still confusing me.

How is Nintendo giving away consoles that:
a) are supposed to be launched in March 2017 at the earliest
b) haven't even been shown to anyone outside Nintendo yet

It makes no sense.
None at all.
Please, someone help me make sense of this. I'm confuzzled as heck.

Top Bottom