• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

One3OneKing

Neo Member
why don't they just let people preorder any extra consoles they'll have? I guess it's just a ploy to get people excited and into the store. "Hey no Switches? Guess I'll pick up some other stuff..."

I actually disagree and think this is a great thing. Not everybody has a chance to pre-order a console. Pre-orders go fast and to the diehard gamers that hawk websites and set up stock notifications. That creates a poor experience for the casual/general audience (who are greater in number) who wants to find one on launch. This at least gives those users a chance. Nintendo is already disgracefully poor at stocking but the idea that all allocation should go to pre-orders is not a great one.

mephesta

Just chiming in. I am pretty sure my BB shipping order yesterday said "failed to authorize", but right now it says "awaiting authorization".

I'll give them a call in a bit just to make sure everything is good and report back.

I just got off of the phone with a BB rep. They said my order is authorized and good to go for when they ship, so everything should be fine. It was a pretty quick call, so if you have a BB order and just want to make sure, give them a call.

Preordered mine through Gamestop's website. Just got an email stating they will begin processing payment on 2/25. Item will ship on 3/2 and will be delivered on 3/3.

Email was pretty much my ticket to ride the hype train. It's weird to think that only a few months back we knew nothing about the Switch.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally cancelled my amazon switch pre order, feels bad but i don't see myself really playing much of the switch for the next few months. Hopefully someone here can snag it when it goes back up for order, probably around 2/28 when they start shipping out.

Just cancelled my Switch pre-order from Amazon as well. Swapped to pre-ordering the Wii U version of Zelda instead.

Been debating doing this since the January reveal, every passing day trying to justify sticking with it, but now with the launch imminent my gut feeling shined through. I am really only hyped for Zelda and nothing else on the Switch until much farther down the line.

So hopefully someone that is more interested can get on the unit I had reserved(grey).

One3OneKing

Neo Member
I wonder if this will make my preorder pickup a shit show? Oh well, at least it will be a jolly shit show.

Doubt it. This is not Gamestop's first rodeo. I have a pretty good local store that handles these launches really well though YMMV. For the Xbox One launch you presented your receipt before midnight. They cashed you out and put a sticker on your receipt and a corresponding sticker on your console before midnight. The pre-orders were already counted out and separate from the remaining stock. At midnight pre-order customers did their pick up first and then the walk-ins were allowed to make their purchases afterwards.

Mudron

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But if you still don't have a preorder, you live in the Pacific NW, and you have a Fred Meyer near by, there you go. I've gone without a preorder for a number of big releases over the years. Just walked into Fred Meyer as soon as they opened, never failed to get what I want. I think they tend to fly under the radar because people don't generally think of them as a big game retailer.

This is how I got a NES Classic on launch day.

The Big N

Banned
For once, the bundles are reasonable!

They're exactly what I'd buy anyway (console, pro controller, Zelda, +/- guidebook)

That is exactly what I bought. Wouldn't mind at all if I could pick them all up in one go. Especially if I didn't get a preorder in.

Is Best Buy gonna give away my preorder if I don't go to the midnight launch?

As an old BB employee, typically they set aside the preorders in a locked bin within the Customer Service area. The public units are sold on the sales floor.

You have 1-8 days to pick it up before they refund you and sell it (it should say on your order confirmation).

maxcriden

Here's the PR about GS if someone wants to make a thread.

This just in: GameStop, a family of specialty retail brands that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple, announced stores will have a limited supply of Nintendo Switch systems available for walk-in customers on the March 3 launch day. Customers who were not able to pre-order the system are encouraged to attend GameStop’s midnight launch events held at stores across the nation for an opportunity to purchase Nintendo’s revolutionary new home gaming system.

“We will have a limited supply of the Nintendo Switch systems on launch day for walk-in customers,” said Bob Puzon, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop. “Our teams made this happen. I would strongly suggest customers plan on attending one of our midnight launch events for a shot at securing one of these extra units. They will go fast!”

GameStop will also offer online a very limited supply of two different Nintendo Switch bundles. Bundle 1 will include the Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for $429.99. Bundle 2 includes all the previously mentioned items, plus The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official strategy guide for $454.99. Customers should visit www.gamestop.com/switch for more information.

Customers can trade games, consoles, accessories, and electronics towards the purchase of the Nintendo Switch system ($299.99), or either of the previously listed bundles.

Via GoNintendo.com.

As others said, I really hope this does not make the midnight launch more difficult.

My GS preorder will guarantee me a system no matter what, right?

Jeff-DSA

Sorry to jump in late with a question that has already been answered, but are Walmart pickup orders showing for March 8th for people? I am trying to get a Switch for me (BB preorder) and one for my nephews (Walmart). The Walmart pickup date is 5 days after launch, however. Wondering if I should chance a midnight launch somewhere and drop the Walmart preorder if successful. Hopefully Walmart pushes that date up.

Berna

Hey, I'm not much of a prolific poster here, but I've been thinking of paying my Amazon Switch pre-order in full ASAP (just to be on the safe side and not have any surprises come March) using gift cards, but I've read (I think here on GAF as well) that sometimes applying a GC to a "hot item" pre-order can go haywire and make the order be cancelled. Does this still happen? Should I not risk it and leave everything as-is? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, no problem in buying GCs with and for the same account, right?

lingpanda

Hey, I'm not much of a prolific poster here, but I've been thinking of paying my Amazon Switch pre-order in full ASAP (just to be on the safe side and not have any surprises come March) using gift cards, but I've read (I think here on GAF as well) that sometimes applying a GC to a "hot item" pre-order can go haywire and make the order be cancelled. Does this still happen? Should I not risk it and leave everything as-is? Thanks!

I did this with PS VR without issue. YMMV.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
For orders from Gamespot.com, if I paid for the one day shipping, does that mean I'll have it on the 3rd?

It should provide a new ship date, but usually, that is their ship date, not receiving date. 1 day shipping may be Mar. 4. Better off asking customer service than GAF.

Yousefb

I just had a mini heart attack. Pulled up the best buy confirmation in my email to check on the status but when I clicked the link there was nothing in my orders! I refreshed, logged out and back in. Still nothing!

I called customer service and they're claiming the order is still there. So I don't know why the hell it's not showing up on their site. They didn't know either but they assured me it's still good to go.

Whew, I didn't need that today. Back to work lol.

charpunk

Is Best Buy gonna give away my preorder if I don't go to the midnight launch?

If you preordered online for in-store pickup, they hold it for 8-10 days. If you preordered in store, they technically have to hold it for 5 days but it gets dicey since it doesn't get removed from their inventory system and there is nothing stopping someone from taking it from their hold area and selling it. They can't do that with online orders set for in-store pickup though.

Futureman

I actually disagree and think this is a great thing. Not everybody has a chance to pre-order a console. Pre-orders go fast and to the diehard gamers that hawk websites and set up stock notifications. That creates a poor experience for the casual/general audience (who are greater in number) who wants to find one on launch. This at least gives those users a chance. Nintendo is already disgracefully poor at stocking but the idea that all allocation should go to pre-orders is not a great one.

well I'd consider myself to be pretty casual (I own no systems currently) but there's no way I'm taking off work on the 3rd to go to Gamestop and maybe/possibly get a Switch.

The only way I'm getting one on the 3rd is if Amazon or Best Buy somehow get more preorders to offer or if I stop at Target after work and there happens to be some systems left.

I do this all the time, didn't have any issues.

Krakatoa

I just had a mini heart attack. Pulled up the best buy confirmation in my email to check on the status but when I clicked the link there was nothing in my orders! I refreshed, logged out and back in. Still nothing!

I called customer service and they're claiming the order is still there. So I don't know why the hell it's not showing up on their site. They didn't know either but they assured me it's still good to go.

Whew, I didn't need that today. Back to work lol.

You just made me check my BB pre order :) For now mine is still showing in the app and website. Don't you have a login for the website/app?

psyfi

Banned
There's so much anxiety in this thread, even from people who have pre-orders. Take a few deep breaths and remember that it won't be the end of the world if things don't quite work the way you planned it (or didn't plan it). If you pre-ordered through a local store or are trying to try your luck with getting one without a pre-order, call up your local store. If you ordered online, call up the place you ordered from and ask them about whatever you need to know. And if the uncertainty of ordering online versus ordering locally stresses you out so much, go local next time.

I don't want to sound condescending, I'm sincerely bummed this is such a stressful experience for so many folks.

KevinG

There's so much anxiety in this thread, even from people who have pre-orders. Take a few deep breaths and remember that it won't be the end of the world if things don't quite work the way you planned it (or didn't plan it). If you pre-ordered through a local store or are trying to try your luck with getting one without a pre-order, call up your local store. If you ordered online, call up the place you ordered from and ask them about whatever you need to know. And if the uncertainty of ordering online versus ordering locally stresses you out so much, go local next time.

I don't want to sound condescending, I'm sincerely bummed this is such a stressful experience for so many folks.

People like their things. I love to get the latest tech at launch, and I certainly stress out about getting these items.

I've had a lot of success doing this kind of thing over the years, with consoles and limited games.

Would I be disappointed if something fell through? Certainly. I'd move on and get on with life. Not the end of the world.

I only let it stress me out in the same way that grabbing a good Black Friday deal stresses me out. It's a "fun" kind of stress, but as soon as it become truly detrimental to my health, I'd walk away.

I'm not looking forward to going to the place to pick this up Thursday night. Hopefully my Gamestop isn't too populated. In theory if the only had a few I'm hoping they have a separate line for folks who have one of the few pre-ordered

Cleve

I overheard the manager at my local GS tell someone that if they wanted a walk-in unit, they should be there for 6pm when all the preorders are being pre-rung (before returning at midnight) .

Seems strange to me, as when I worked at GS for the DC and PS2 launches, that wasn't how we handled it, but that was a few years ago. :|

I plan to call GS pretty soon, actually. Someone who preordered with free shipping already got an email on the date GameStop is authorizing a hold, but everyone who opted for the $15 launch day delivery hadn't. Not sure why. Though stores can be pretty sketchy about that stuff. You have them mess with one thing and it could end up cancelled.

Smellycat

I overheard the manager at my local GS tell someone that if they wanted a walk-in unit, they should be there for 6pm when all the preorders are being pre-rung (before returning at midnight) .

Seems strange to me, as when I worked at GS for the DC and PS2 launches, that wasn't how we handled it, but that was a few years ago. :|

"A few years ago"is an understatement.. that was over 16 years ago lol

How much do you all reckon the trade-in value for a Switch will be ~3 weeks after release? Outside of Zelda, I think I can live without Nintendo exclusives until there's a solid enough library to go through a lot of things at once.

psyfi

Banned
I only let it stress me out in the same way that grabbing a good Black Friday deal stresses me out. It's a "fun" kind of stress, but as soon as it become truly detrimental to my health, I'd walk away.
That's cool. It's just hard for me to relate to. People stressing about their color choice, their pro controller being a few days late, their confirmation emails not coming yet... I'm like yall, it will be okay. haha

phanphare

Banned
How much do you all reckon the trade-in value for a Switch will be ~3 weeks after release? Outside of Zelda, I think I can live without Nintendo exclusives until there's a solid enough library to go through a lot of things at once.

just wait until it has the library that you want or just buy it now and keep it

I'll never understand why people buy a console and sell it back only to buy it again later

Top Bottom