• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA bringing over a star from the east!

Buttseckslol said:
I have a feeling Punch-Out!! will just have multiple control options including NES style and also Wii Boxing type option. I really don't think this game is going to be as reliant on motion controls as people think. I'm not seeing how Motion Control+ can add that much more to the experience anyway.

I hope not.

Model 500 said:
What, so PunchOut! is without Motion+? Interest fading rapidly. Oh well...

Fuck this, it's mother-fucking Punch-Out!!, get it anyway. But yes, I agree it would be awesome if the game had it.

Model 500

Of course I'm gonna get it anyway, but damn man.......

Edit: I just back tracked a bit on this thread, so it's just your hunch based on that incomplete realease list? Or have I missed something, I've been under the impression that PunchOut! is a M+ game all this time.

Nintendo better not change the box of Starfy!

Densetsunostafy_taiketsu_boxart.PNG

That's one awesome box!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Punch-Out!! needs a D-pad & buttons ONLY control option. I'd try motion sensing stuff, but the awesome "Punch-Out!! Rhythm" wouldn't translate well to motion controls, IMO. I've been waiting for this for-ever, so please give me traditional controls. Please.

Vinci

Danish
Hero of Legend said:
They stopped that in Super Star Ultra.

I know, which gives me hope they'll leave the Starfy box the hell alone. It's a perfectly good one and should appeal to younger gamers.

Stumpokapow said:
It's funny because Fatal Frame 4 got pretty poor reception, on GAF and elsewhere due to bugs and widely considered pretty poor controls. Disaster, on the other hand, got a good-great reception on GAF.
Well at least Fatal Frame 4 is the fourth game from a fairly successful series that has a fanbase. I've played Fatal Frame 4 too and while the controls are a little wonky I can understand why they decided on them. It makes the ghost fights a hell of alot more intense. I've never play Disaster Report, but I doubt that game has much in common with Disaster gameplay wise.

Stumpokapow said:
If quality concerns are the issue, why localize Starfy? Donkey Kong Barrel Blast? Mario Tennis New Play Control? Mario Super Sluggers? Nintendo releases some turds, some average stuff, and some gold.
Honestly I thought DK Barrel Blast wasn't bad. :p

I'm on your side, man. I wish every game would hit every region in every language in the world. I just decided to adjust my expectations. I wanted to play Disaster and I knew it probably wasn't coming so I imported it. It cost me about $50 which is the same amount this game would likely retail for here in America.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Model 500 said:
What, so PunchOut! is without Motion+? Interest fading rapidly. Oh well...

:lol I really hate people have started to think MotionPlus is going to make every single Wii game 100% better. Like when people wanted Conduit to have it, I was like WTF it's an FPS. :lol

Vinci

Danish
comedy bomb said:
Why do you guys want motion + for punch out?

I don't see the point unless it supports dual motion +

I'm waiting for another Tetris on the Wii, in which people will be frustrated by it not offering Motion + support. It's like the fix-all for everything.

Azure J

Hero of Legend said:
They stopped that in Super Star Ultra.

Still Starfy's new enough that they might want to start the circle up all over again in the hopes of making an inpression with the younger gamers.

Of course, this is just me sticking by the joke not encouraging this. :p

Andrex said:
:lol I really hate people have started to think MotionPlus is going to make every single Wii game 100% better. Like when people wanted Conduit to have it, I was like WTF it's an FPS. :lol

You know, I really don't mind how the game plays as long as it plays well. But you have to admit, the potential is there to make a kick-ass motion-control game, and Motion+ wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to be analyzing the trailer a bit more... hopefully I'll get a better sense of what this legendary series will be like on Wii...

Jiggy

Is this supposed to be Starfy 4 or 5--or is there no way to tell from the press release alone? Kinda hoping for 4 just so we eventually get two games out of this, but the only encouraging thing is that they don't mention co-op when even Wikipedia does.

Pretty weak first party release schedule. As pointed out, their bread and butter Wii Sports Resort is missing, but it could just be they're waiting to reveal that release date until later on, like at GDC or at their spring media event (if they have one). It's good to see Starfy is coming to Nintendo DS. And as usual, standard gripes about X game not being localized and heading here. Not gonna list them out because it's becoming a broken record at this point. Looks like some decent support from third parties. But yeah, guess E3 is when I'll see if anything first party comes out that I care about this year for Nintendo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Buttseckslol said:
Also, stop bitching about game localization and get EXCITE! Why the hell would NOA bring over Disaster of all games in the first place? That game BOMBED HARD everywhere and deep down you know it'll bomb here. In this economy Nintendo isn't taking that kind of chance so a few hardcore gamers can play it for $15.
But it can afford to bomb here. It is already localized so there would be zero costs involved in altering the game. All the real bottom of the barrel shovelware released on Wii takes more effort and money than bringing Disaster to the US. They are (I am assuming) making a profit, and they are selling at $20 and have to pay a royalty fee. There is no reason a limited US print run of Disaster couldn't at least break even with virtually no effort or cost and pretty much zero risk.

Andrex said:
An FPS could benefit from M+ by being able to keep tracking the Wiimote after it points off the screen, thus keeping the reticule from getting stuck.

TSA said:
As pointed out, their bread and butter Wii Sports Resort is missing, but it could just be they're waiting to reveal that release date until later on, like at GDC or at their spring media event (if they have one).

Tiger Woods is out in June, and it uses M+ so Wii Sports Resort must be due by early June at the very latest - there's no way the first title to use M+ is going to be third party and released before the peripheral itself!

Hive

Banned
Jiggy said:
Is this supposed to be Starfy 4 or 5--or is there no way to tell from the press release alone? Kinda hoping for 4 just so we eventually get two games out of this, but the only encouraging thing is that they don't mention co-op when even Wikipedia does.

I hope it's 4! Although, I imported it a couple years ago and love it to death~

It's an easy game, but once you've beaten it, the game+ steps up in difficulty (mildly). And the final FINAL boss is no pushover~

Starfy has great music, 3D backgrounds, cute characters, and interesting puzzles~

Anyways, if u were able to enjoy a play-through of Princess Peach and/or Kirby Squeak Squad, then you're probably a hypocrite for passing on Starfy. hehe

I think WiiSports Resort will be a fantastic game, and the Motion+ add-on is very exciting, but I actually don't think it will sell as much as people may be expecting. No doubt it will sell quite a lot, but I think it won't be quite as big a hit as WiiPlay or WiiFit.

farnham

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
I think WiiSports Resort will be a fantastic game, and the Motion+ add-on is very exciting, but I actually don't think it will sell as much as people may be expecting. No doubt it will sell quite a lot, but I think it won't be quite as big a hit as WiiPlay or WiiFit.
well wii music did 2.5 million..

thats a blockbuster by any standard.. wii sports resort might be even better then that

Vinci

Danish
TheGrayGhost said:

I think your expectations are a mite unfair: Nothing is going to sell as well as Wii Play and Wii Fit. I certainly expect it to outsell practically any other game on the system though, given how vital Wii Sports was to the Wii's success.

It's no doubt #5.

In The Legendary Starfy™ game, which launches June 8, players dive into a spectacular undersea adventure with Starfy, the legendary hero of Pufftop. Players swoop into enemies like a shooting star, glide over bottomless chasms and transform into powerful creatures to help a mysterious, bunny-eared visitor find his lost memory.

#5 has Starfy wearing costumes of creatures and as you can see, the Japanese box of #5 shows that carrot crunchin' varmint!

birdchili

TheGrayGhost said:
but I think it won't be quite as big a hit as WiiPlay or WiiFit.
this is my gut too, but we don't really know much about it yet (3 games have been shown? (frisbee, fencing and jet ski?)). depending on how they price it (and m+ separately) it may sell to folk who primarily want one of the other motion+ games.

there are obviously going to be a ton of mime-real-world-activities-style games (golf, tennis, etc...) that use it. i'm curious to see if a massive precision increase actually nets us some creative software.

TheGrayGhost said:

One word: Marketing! Nintendo will spend a big amount of money to promote Wii Sports Resort.

Model 500

Andrex said:

What are you trying to say with that when quoting me, that Motion+ is not an interesting concept in a boxing game?

Fyi, I'm totally against anything being used just for the sake of it.

CubeRevolution said:
One word: Marketing! Nintendo will spend a big amount of money to promote Wii Sports Resort.
I think people should take the fact that it comes with HW into account.

Wii Music is the odd man out for a few reasons and not coming with Hardware may be one of them.

birdchili said:
this is my gut too, but we don't really know much about it yet (3 games have been shown? (frisbee, fencing and jet ski?)). depending on how they price it (and m+ separately) it may sell to folk who primarily want one of the other motion+ games.

there are obviously going to be a ton of mime-real-world-activities-style games (golf, tennis, etc...) that use it. i'm curious to see if a massive precision increase actually nets us some creative software.

Iwata said M+ add on would be sold quite cheap, almost at cost

What are you trying to say with that when quoting me, that Motion+ is not an interesting concept in a boxing game?

well, you would be using M+ and the nunchuck so i dunno how well would it fit on a boxing game

Jiggy

Hero of Legend said:
It's no doubt #5.

#5 has Starfy wearing costumes of creatures and as you can see, the Japanese box of #5 shows that carrot crunchin' varmint!
Ah, another Fire Emblem situation then where they skip over one that they could have started the region with in favor of the most recent title... Oh well. Still buying, still excited. Super Princess Peach was great despite its lack of challenge.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I actually have high hopes that I'll enjoy Starfy: I'm a huge Kirby fan, though this is admittedly for Kirby's dozens of powers and the fast-paced action rather than the level design. Still, I'm willing to give Starfy the benefit of the doubt.

And if it means we'll get more games that were previously Japan-only, then I welcome the little guy with open arms.
Mother 3? I know, I know. D:

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Vinci said:
Hell no. Punch-Out has kickass enough music to last for all time.

Well, there's the fight theme, the training theme, and...well, that's it. Though both are great tunes, don't get me wrong.

birdchili

Starchasing said:
Iwata said M+ add on would be sold quite cheap, almost at cost
I'm not sure what that implies though... I imagine that WSR is going to sell at or below $50 - I don't think they'll pull a Wii Fit-style pricing scheme with it. $20 seems like a reasonable price given a lot of WSR-purchasers are going to get an extra m+ with the game?

I never play wii sports and don't have huge anticipation for wsr... i might get it to fool around with if i feel that motion+ is worth it for other software.

Wii Sports never had to actually sell as stand-alone in North America - it's hard to read the demand for Resort... it'd definitely tied in to the perceived value of motion+ (just like Wii Play works in a lot of ways).

birdchili said:
I'm not sure what that implies though... I imagine that WSR is going to sell at or below $50 - I don't think they'll pull a Wii Fit-style pricing scheme with it. $20 seems like a reasonable price given a lot of WSR-purchasers are going to get an extra m+ with the game?

I never play wii sports and don't have huge anticipation for wsr... i might get it to fool around with if i feel that motion+ is worth it for other software.

Wii Sports never had to actually sell as stand-alone in North America - it's hard to read the demand for Resort... it'd definitely tied in to the perceived value of motion+ (just like Wii Play is in a lot of ways).

perceived value of M+ doesnt matter, since iwata said it was going to sell almost at cost

Cosmonaut X said:
Tiger Woods is out in June, and it uses M+ so Wii Sports Resort must be due by early June at the very latest - there's no way the first title to use M+ is going to be third party and released before the peripheral itself!

Yea, I agree with that analysis. I was thinking April/May for Wii Sports Resort myself. That's why I personally am leaning towards Nintendo is being there usual selves and aren't going to disclose the release date till as close as possible and trying to make a spectacle out of it with the mainstream press. I seriously think Iwata's GDC speech is going to be all about Wii Sports Resort, and it will be playable there, and a release date will be announced then or shortly after.

Well, they had to announce some games eventually, I just wish they'd stop doing it two to three months before release with little to no press coverage. Why do they do this? There should be a build up for the "core" firdt party games and it would be easy enough to do, let the enthusiast press play the games, let people see screenshots and movies. This stealth release strategy NoA has is beyond tiresome and has to be somewhat counter-productive.

birdchili

Starchasing said:
perceived value of M+ doesnt matter, since iwata said it was going to sell almost at cost
<not-so-clever comment about ps3 sales goes here>

of course it matters. people buy things that have perceived value - the actual manufacturing cost of the item of of dubious relevance.

Vinci

Danish
birdchili said:
people buy things that have perceived value - the actual manufacturing cost of the item of of dubious relevance.

Well, EA seems to know something about what Nintendo is going to do with the thing, 'cause practically every game they have announced for the Wii for 2009 is supporting Motion +. So either EA is just being stupidly optimistic or they've heard something about what Nintendo is doing - price wise or marketing wise - that makes them exceedingly willing to work with the add-on.

My6cats

Banned
except for Namco's, Sega's and Nintendo's games. alot of the games on the list are pure crap. No wonder mainly Nintendo's games are then main ones that sell on the Wii.

birdchili

Vinci said:
Well, EA seems to know something about what Nintendo is going to do with the thing, 'cause practically every game they have announced for the Wii for 2009 is supporting Motion +. So either EA is just being stupidly optimistic or they've heard something about what Nintendo is doing - price wise or marketing wise - that makes them exceedingly willing to work with the add-on.
fair enough. it's not hard to see something akin to a golf *training* game being possible, brilliant, and hugely successful on this platform in spite of WSR resort sales really.

I wonder if Nintendo would let EA bundle m+ in one of their skus?

Vinci

Danish
birdchili said:
fair enough. it's not hard to see something akin to a golf *training* game being possible, brilliant, and hugely successful on this platform in spite of WSR resort sales really.

I wonder if Nintendo would let EA bundle m+ in one of their skus?

Really comes down to how cheap it's going to be on its own. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty damn easy to upgrade to it, be it through a bundle or no. Admittedly I'd prefer if Nintendo allowed bundles of the hardware with some 3rd party games that are banking on it so willingly.

Top Bottom