• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA bringing over a star from the east!

Captain N

I've wanted a new Punch-Out!! for years and its the game I am looking forward to the most right now.

btrboyev said:
where is wii sports resort? I was certain punchout would use the the motion plus..I'm a little worried about that.

Wii Sports Resort will most likely be out in June since that is when Tiger Woods is being released. Punch-Out!! will probably use the Wii Remote like an NES controller..plus the balance board as an option.

YAY Starfy in English. :D
Too bad I have imported all of them already :lol (except the first one for GBA)

As for difficulty, the games were easy on GBA, but they took the turn to insanely easy when the series went to DS. Still, they are quite fun, well done platformers, in an era where the genre is not in its best state.

My personal ranking: 3 > 2 > 5 > 4

No M&L3... I anticipated a Q4 release in the game's thread, still I'm hopeful for a July release. Oh NoA :lol
No Captain Rainbow?? That game looks SO interesting to me, pity I can't read Japanese...

Let's hope the Stafi announcement means NoA is willing to translate at least some of the dozens of first-party DS games that still remain JP-only.

Vinci said:
Ah yes, the Top 20. The only positions in which a game sells ever.
I'm thinking you should listen to Segata and just stop.

EDIT: @ Black-Wind: Birds of Tokyo sounds promising.

from titles 21-100, 21 were third party titles. impressive but combined sales for these 21 were less than 1 million. first party games kicked major ass but third party? not so much.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
No Layton on that list :(

It never *really* crossed my mind before now that we might not get an English Layton 2 and 3, but now I'm getting very worried :( :(

Hummm, I assume someone will make a thread for it once theres screens so Im going to aviod this thread for now . . . all this bitching about not seeing some titles (Trace Wii and MP being that only ones I care about) that may very well come out at a time later than summer (which is what this list seems to go up to).

Oh, and BOTS. . .

Big
Ol
Titties
Son!

Oh s***! Nintendo making a racer about top heavy females tricking off stuff! I expect Rollerblades and SkateBoards with some jiggle effects! You go Nintendo, you know how to appeal to the West AND the East!

Vinci

Danish
dialmydrive said:
from titles 21-100, 21 were third party titles. impressive but combined sales for these 21 were less than 1 million. first party games kicked major ass but third party? not so much.

And how does this compare to the other systems?

[Nintex]

It seems that everyone is sleeping at the wheel at the biggest press sites.

This is by far the worst game announcement ever.

Vinci

Danish
Yazus said:
No M&L RPG 3!!! NA relase date makes me cry.

20fxr4n.jpg

dialmydrive said:
Whatever. and you're a fucking genius? forgive my follow up
I'm being extraordinarily polite to you, particularly by my usual standards. I'm telling you, you don't seem to have full access to the numbers, and the type of methodology you're using here with the data you *do* have is going to lead you to false conclusions.

If, however, you would like me to unleash the beast all over your melon, we could do things my usual way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
scitek said:
Where's my fucking Metroid Prime rerelease?

This

Japan, by far the worst market for the Prime games, gets it in February, and N.A doesn't even have a release date?

Vinci

Danish
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm being extraordinarily polite to you, particularly by my usual standards. I'm telling you, you don't seem to have full access to the numbers, and the type of methodology you're using here with the data you *do* have is going to lead you to false conclusions.

If, however, you would like me to unleash the beast all over your melon, we could do things my usual way.

Do it.

GCX

GDJustin said:

It never *really* crossed my mind before now that we might not get an English Layton 2 and 3, but now I'm getting very worried :( :(
Since Layton has been selling like crazy in Europe it's almost certain at least NOE will pick up the sequels. Not so sure about NOA though.

botticus

schuelma said:
This

Japan, by far the worst market for the Prime games, gets it in February, and N.A doesn't even have a release date?
Those 5000 sales were important! Or maybe just quicker to produce?

Vinci

Danish
DNF said:
This is nothing that publishers care about. They care about selling less than first-party. doh.

Now, now. Let him tighten his own noose. Don't do it for him.
Besides that, I'm hoping Segata lets loose on the guy.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Cool, Starfy. :O Nice to see a release date for Punch-Out too.

Now when do Sin and Punishment and Mario and Luigi 3 come out, Nintendo?

And let's not forget EarthBound on VC! Yes, I know, I know. D:

Iam Canadian said:
Now when do Sin and Punishment and Mario and Luigi 3 come out, Nintendo?
I'm happy enough that these two were already confirmed for America. I don't mind a little release-date hall of mirrors with them for right now

Model 500

Btw. everyone, try the wheel on Excite Truck and I guarantee you'll be positively surprised!

I just hope they don't think gamers like ET because of the tricks! They were ok and good for score whoring, but the beauty of the game was in track design, other game mechanics and excellent control. But yeah, definitely looking forward to a new Excite game!

Good to see so many day 1 games on that list already! Looking fwd to seeing what the hell Excite Bots is all about :D

Masked Man

I said wow
AzureJericho said:
You know, half of the reason why the Starfy announcement is big imo is because of the idea that it could mean more surprise localizations. Unfortunately, it seems that people are all too doom and gloom to even see that possibility way out in the distance.

Also, you people who are saying that the Punch-Out box art is shovelware like hurt my inner gamer. :(

Preach it, brotha. :D If Starfy acts as our gateway drug/game-of-sorts, I will more than happily take a hit. ;)

Well....I love Monster Games so I am sure this new game will be great...but I really, really wanted to drive big-ass trucks really fast to thrash metal, ONLINE. I'd like to see some screens.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
GDJustin said:

If NoA doesn't I'm gonna pray that NoE does. This is seriously getting ridiculous now. Where the duck are Layton 2 and 3?

I better knuckle down on my Japanese studies...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, it's time for me to head to sleep. I'll tag stump in, I'm sure he'll satisfy your guys' bloodlust.

Basically the key point to take here is that if you're looking at a top <x> list, you're missing the damn point. What's the sales of a product ranked #20? Hell, I'll go a step further--based on publicly available data, the limit for a game ranked #10 for the month per console tends to vary from 30k to 70k depending on the console.

Here's a great example. Look at that Nerf rail-shooter for the Wii. Have you heard of it? Nope. Of course you haven't. I've seen it in stores. I don't know much about it. EA published it. Without lighting the charts on fire, it sold 500,000 units by NPD figures. It'll continue to sell. 500,000? That's more than Dead Space. That's more than Mirror's Edge. I'd say that's more than both SKUs combined of each.

Or another EA example. MySims. IGN accidentally leaked some NPD figures last month (oops! then they tried to cover it up by claiming their source was LOLCHARTZ which is hilarious given that LOLCHARTZ numbers didn't match any of the leaked numbers--secondary sources with NPD access confirmed that the numbers were NPD). MySims 1 is at 750,000 units. Where is it in the top 10? Where is it in the top 20? Well?

Let's try Madden. IGN leaked numbers for Madden 09 as well. Madden 09 sold 100k first month on the Wii. Pretty shitty. It's now at 650,000 by IGN's leaked numbers. I'm not saying that's unbelievable. It's not. It's over a million on both HD platforms. But it still points to the fact that software you assume stopped selling... software that didn't chat in any manner... wracked up a half-million sales months after release.

Mario Sluggers. Another great example, because we also have a leaked figure for it--I can't remember if this one is an IGN leak, confirmed by Nintendo, or leaked on any of the other public websites! Hooray! What's it at? 600k. What did it do in the only month it charted according to public NPD data? 90k.

Boom Blox--Bomba -> 450k.

Family Ski -- past a million worldwide. I have no idea what it is in North America, but I'd ballpark anywhere from 300-600k. Have you seen it chart?

I have no access to NPD, but using only public data it's pretty inarguable that major sales get wracked up outside the Top 20, or even the per-console top-10. I'm not just talking about the Wii either. It's not like all these "flavour of the month" 360 games (Say... Vegas, Vegas 2, The Darkness, Army of Two) stop selling after a month. Most more than double their initial month's sales.

Hell, wasn't there a leaked number from some public site that confirmed Uncharted around a half a million sold in the US? I can't remember which site. It might have been a jvm article. If not, I'm sure someone here could refresh my memory.

I know jvm confirmed that Resistance was at 757k having done most of that off-charts LOOOOOONG after its release. BioShock launched at 600k--I'd hazard a guess it's around or over a million by now.

Or DS games; look, Mario Kart DS--more than three years after its release... spontaneously shows up in an end-of-year chart having some more than a million units without ever appearing in any kind of top ten or top twenty list--three years after release.

I'm not saying Wii sales are fantastic. I'm not saying they're terrible. I don't know how many of the top 100, top 200, top 500 games were Wii versus PS3 versus 360 versus DS versus PSP. I don't have NPD access and I'm not aware of any robust full-sheet NPD leaks. I'm saying that just based on public information... the crumbs... the scraps... we know that dialmydrive's argument is silly.

dialmydrive clearly has NPD access. I know that doesn't mean he's able to leak data and I wouldn't expect him to leak data. But substantiated your argument with "THE TOP X IS JUST Y RANDOM NUMBER", divorced of context to individual games, game budgets, expectations, what's happen under the top x, the performance of other consoles, or the historical performance of previous consoles, it's kinda hard to tell.

I'm not saying there aren't bombs on the Wii. I hardly imagine Sega Superstars Tennis or Battle of the Bands put a smile on anyone's face. I'd be surprised if 5000 people bought Opoona, let alone hundreds of thousands. But let's not be stupid and claim the number and combined sales of games in the top 20 for a month means... well, anything.

(sorry for the lol selective bolding but i'm sure people will skip this post and i really don't mean this to be OMG QFT LISTEN 2 DA MADMEN, i mean it to genuinely argue that dialmydrive's point here is off-base.)

CubeRevolution said:
So, no Wii Sports Resort,for America?

Ah, I was just about to comment on this before splooging on the Punch-Out!! box-art. With no release date for this thing, I'm a bit concerned that Punch-Out!! will be without Motion+.

Also, Personal Trainer: Walking, AWESOME. I want to hear more about it before I buy it, but I've always wanted to get into a walking routine with my mom, but our schedules never align, so maybe these software will do that for us. I can walk during my time, come back, send my info wirelessly to her DS, and she can walk. Very interested.

TheGrayGhost said:
Ah, I was just about to comment on this before splooging on the Punch-Out!! box-art. With no release date for this thing, I'm a bit concerned that Punch-Out!! will be without Motion+.

Also, Personal Trainer: Walking, AWESOME. I want to hear more about it before I buy it, but I've always wanted to get into a walking routine with my mom, but our schedules never align, so maybe these software will do that for us. I can walk during my time, come back, send my info wirelessly to her DS, and she can walk. Very interested.
I have a feeling Punch-Out!! will just have multiple control options including NES style and also Wii Boxing type option. I really don't think this game is going to be as reliant on motion controls as people think. I'm not seeing how Motion Control+ can add that much more to the experience anyway.

bdouble

Vinci said:
Dear lord, we finally hear something - even what is likely to be a sequel to the best Wii game at launch - and people can't even be happy about that? Don't get me wrong, this release list is missing a ton of shit that I'd like to see too - but we're even ripping on the next game in the Excite series?

It doesn't matter. Well they would be happy but all they saw on the ExciteBots description was minigames and family

Vinci

Danish
Buttseckslol said:
I have a feeling Punch-Out!! will just have multiple control options including NES style and also Wii Boxing type option. I really don't think this game is going to be as reliant on motion controls as people think. I'm not seeing how Motion Control+ can add that much more to the experience.

Neither do I. That said, if you can play in NES style, I really wish you could dodge left or right by tilting the controller sharply one way or another. Just think that'd be a nice touch and add a little Wii flair to it.

TheGrayGhost said:

I'm considering picking it up for me and my wife since we enjoy walking around our neighborhood. She's always wanted a pedometer and this comes with two with the ability to track data on the DS. Sounds like a winner to me.

Also, stop bitching about game localization and get EXCITE! Why the hell would NOA bring over Disaster of all games in the first place? That game BOMBED HARD everywhere and deep down you know it'll bomb here. In this economy Nintendo isn't taking that kind of chance so a few hardcore gamers can play it for $15 (or less) cheaper than the likely retail price. If you're so crazy about this above average game then just import it and playing via GeckoOS. I'd be cool of them to do, but let's at least be realistic.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Buttseckslol said:
That game BOMBED HARD everywhere and deep down you know it'll bomb here.

because it was sent to die...

In this economy Nintendo isn't taking that kind of chance

Punch-Out is not apt to rip up the charts. Neither is Sin and Punishment 2. Nintendo's localization choices are pretty scattershot. If they were strictly based on business concerns, I think more people would understand.

birdchili

Buttseckslol said:
I'm not seeing how Motion Control+ can add that much more to the experience anyway.
if the game involves miming real boxing at all motion+ with two remotes would do a world of good for gesture recognition. wii sports boxing is pretty sketchy at getting your moves right 100%

the connection between my nunchuks and remotes are completely busted. i need to figure out if i've got two bad nunchuks, or two bad remotes (ack!).

Vinci

Danish
Yeah, the lack of Disaster is still really distressing and confusing. Really don't see any reason for Nintendo - one of the few publishers making money hand-over-fist even in this shitty economy - to not bring it over. It's not going to hurt them and it might satiate some of the older gamers that own the system.

Stumpokapow said:
because it was sent to die...

Punch-Out is not apt to rip up the charts. Neither is Sin and Punishment 2. Nintendo's localization choices are pretty scattershot. If they were strictly based on business concerns, I think more people would understand.
You're really going to compare the sales of Disaster to a potential Punch-Out? Disaster would have bombed no matter what. It's just doesn't have the appeal most Wii gamers want. A 20 million dollar ad campaign would at best changed the Japanese sales from a god awful >10,000 to 10,000. Besides why get up in arms over this game? Fatal Frame 4 and Soma Bringer I can understand, but this game? I've beat this game. It's kinda fun, but it's not that much fun.

As for Sin and Punishment 2, I'm sure Treasure was begging to do another and after seeing the VC sales of the original Nintendo caved. They know what kind of sales to expect from that game. Disaster is a wild card that has bombed in every other region.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, BTW. I'd love to see a limited print release of this in every nation in the world, but it's just not realistic. Just like the Mother 3 debacle, it's time to give this one up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AWESOME NEWS

To all the MOTHER 3 fans: Just give it up, it's a lost cause. I share your pain, but stop deluding yourselves. That shit ain't healthy.

Vinci

Danish
Buttseckslol ... Perhaps you're right and Disaster couldn't sell here, but there's no good reason for them to not bring the game to NA of all places considering the ludicrous Wii sales happening here. This is the Wii's strongest market. Every game with a dose of Western appeal should be sent here, and probably even lacking that appeal as well. That may sound like entitlement, but it's not - it's simple business. The game is already in English. Bring it over, ads or no.

They should send every releasable game to NA.

EDIT: Mother 3 isn't coming over for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with Disaster's failure to arrive. Comparing the two is inaccurate to say the least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Buttseckslol said:
You're really going to compare the sales of Disaster to a potential Punch-Out? Disaster would have bombed no matter what. It's just doesn't have the appeal most Wii gamers want. A 20 million dollar ad campaign would at best changed the Japanese sales from a god awful >10,000 to 10,000.

No, I'm reasonably certain that an ad campaign would have helped sales a good deal. Disaster Report did 150k on the PS2. Disaster Report 2 did 60k. I'm not saying it necessarily would have done 150k, but I don't see how a similar-styled game (yes, I know it's a little different in execution but let's not pretend that promotion and impulse buys are based on a phenomenally deep understanding of the product) from a high profile developer with an advertising and promotion campaign would have not been able to do a good deal more than it did.

Also, I feel as though the game was developed more for Western Audiences (well, actually, I feel doesn't even come into it--it was developed for Western Audiences, fullstop).

Besides why get up in arms over this game? Fatal Frame 4 and Soma Bringer I can understand, but this game? I've beat this game. It's kinda fun, but it's not that much fun.

It's funny because Fatal Frame 4 got pretty poor reception, on GAF and elsewhere due to bugs and widely considered pretty poor controls. Disaster, on the other hand, got a good-great reception on GAF.

More to the point, you've shifted your argument. Not localizing something for business concerns is different than not localizing something for quality concerns. If quality concerns are the issue, why localize Starfy? Donkey Kong Barrel Blast? Mario Tennis New Play Control? Mario Super Sluggers? Nintendo releases some turds, some average stuff, and some gold.

But even if you consider this game average, it doesn't excuse it. People play plenty of average games. I play enough games that they're not all going to be AAA masterpieces. Even your recommendation that interested people import it shows that it's not openly terrible.

The entire industry is getting better and better at localization, in word and in deed, and Nintendo is retrograding in both. That's enough to be concerned whether you're interested in Disaster or not.

Buttseckslol said:
Edit: Don't get me wrong, BTW. I'd love to see a limited print release of this in every nation in the world, but it's just not realistic. Just like the Mother 3 debacle, it's time to give this one up.

Well, it would be time to give some of these things up if Nintendo would out and say "We're not going to release it" rather than "We don't comment on unannounced products it might come it might not region-code circumvention is bad PS we don't let other publishers work on our games LOL!"

Also Mother 3 is an awesome example because at the same time Nintendo published Tales of Phantasia, a shitty GBA port that bombed, and Magical Starsign, a shitty DS game that bombed. Both in the same genre. The latter even got an extensive web advertising campaign. Good thing they didn't release that niche Mother 3 ;)

Top Bottom