• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not Enough Shaders: ACKKStudios claims gaming site fished for Nintendo bashing answer

It's hilarious. No one guesses Polygon, CVG, Edge, GameInformer.com, JoyStiq.

Everyone jumped on it being Kotaku.

I mean what does that say about Kotaku? Not a very good reputation.

My first thought was 1UP for whatever reason.

When are you guys going to listen when I tell you Emily Rogers makes all this shit up?

You're likely to get more accurate journalism for a bowl of alphabet soup.

How did she guess the Youtube client for Wii? That was totally out of left field. Wasn't that her?

Eideka

Banned
It was born out of a bunch of hardcore Nintendo fans striving to create a site to show the REAL news.

That this sort of thing is happening is absolutely no surprise.

Yeah, totally unbiaised news indeed.

This persecution complex is getting old, I suspect that the Wii U's lukewarm reception among gaming circles is going to make them even angrier.

freddy

Banned
You yourself even just used a loaded statement by presupposing that loaded questions are something to be guilty of and/or feel guilty about.
You should feel guilty if you're using a small indie studio who was under the impression they'll get some much needed publicity for their game and gets railroaded with mostly questions to try to get some controversial answers for some site clicks. I think that's what the majority of people are concerned with.

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah, totally unbiaised news indeed.

This persecution complex is getting old, I suspect that the Wii U's lukewarm reception among gaming circles is going to make them even angrier.

Like I've mentioned, we have a submit button on the front page, as long as your article is sourced or an opinion piece, it will go up on the site. It came from nintengaf, but just about all of us own, play and love other consoles.

The pieces submitted are put in the "portal" section and gets voted on, the only thing that goes in the features section right away is interview articles. Since it's basically a community site, it's heavily influenced by the readers of the site. A bit of an experiment I guess, but it can't be worse than what we already have in game journalism.

tim.mbp

You should feel guilty if you're using a small indie studio who was under the impression they'll get some much needed publicity for their game and gets railroaded with mostly questions to try to get some controversial answers for some site clicks. I think that's what the majority of people are concerned with.

That's all according to Emily Rogers though. She admitted to not contacting either ACKKStudios or the journalist in question. Why would you believe her version of the story?

KageZero

You asked how can they post an interview at a later date if they haven't already conducted the interview. I just provided you the answer. Not exactly a puzzle worthy of Professor Layton I might add.

Learn to read... I never asked that, i just quoted the kotaku guy who said they will publish the interview later on.

freddy

Banned
That's all according to Emily Rogers though. She admitted to not contacting either ACKKStudios or the journalist in question. Why would you believe her version of the story?

Yea, I'm not saying I know anything after all that's gone on but that was the original reason most were up in arms.

NewFresh

I believe you are missing some pieces of information which have not been mentioned, but from her past articles and twitter have been cleared up. She was in contact with ACKKStudios for a while now. She had also assisted them with the process of becoming a Wii U developer. The situation did happen as she mentioned (As far as anyone knows) but she failed to contact ACKKStudios with regards to the article involved in this situation. Her contact with them is not in question, when she mentions not contacting them it was in regards to THIS article.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Eideka

Banned
Like I've mentioned, we have a submit button on the front page, as long as your article is sourced or an opinion piece, it will go up on the site. It came from nintengaf, but just about all of us own, play and love other consoles.
I don't spit on your work, you are entitled to your opinion and managing a website demands skills and patience.
But this insane Nintendo apologism is very off-putting to me.

The pieces submitted are put in the "portal" section and gets voted on, the only thing that goes in the features section right away is interview articles. Since it's basically a community site, it's heavily influenced by the readers of the site. A bit of an experiment I guess, but it can't be worse than what we already have in game journalism.
I presume only positive articles about Nintendo are validated.

troushers

Also, what if Kotaku isn't actually the site in question? That game did get *some* press recently for looking awesome, maybe they've been interviewed by several others during the same time frame, why do you instantly assume it's you they're discussing and they should be ashamed for not contacting you first?

This is the hilarious aspect for me. I guess we'll see when the Kotaku Twobrothers interview is finally put up, but I assume the questions from kotaku were similarly leaning towards 'How often did the Wii U beat your wife?"

Isn't interesting that, after a generation in which Nintendo's console got shat on from a great height from most major outlets, Nintendo Direct's started happening?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I presume only positive articles about Nintendo are validated.

Well you wouldnt want any old neckbeards besmirching the goodship Wii U now:
TPIYX.jpg

If you didn't want NotEnoughShaders to just be NintenGAF's playpen of wild accusatory articles and Defence Force propaganda zom3le, sometimes you have to do the tough yet right thing and rule out gigantic liabilities to you and yours credibility.

Eideka

Banned
TPIYX.jpg

If you didn't want NotEnoughShaders to not just be NintenGAF's playpen of wild accusatory articles and Defence Force propaganda zom3le, sometimes you have to do the tough yet right thing and rule out gigantic liabilities to you and yours credibility.

Wow. This is even worse than I imagined.

I know there's a lot of confusion about who was talking about what, but it's worth mentioning that Jason was literally accused of this exact same thing earlier in the year. It was during an email interview with Notch, who became pissed off and claimed that Jason was trying to lead him into saying something negative about Windows 8.

(Notch later went and did just that, however)

zroid

Banned
I saw Emily tweeting about this last night without mentioning ACKKStudios, presumably before posting the article. I notice those tweets are now deleted too.

Thought the situation was shitty, but never expected things to escalate like this. :\

Writing an article was definitely not the right move.

i-Lo

The single biggest problem with games journalism is that besides reviews, the rest of the all forms of coverages are just puff pieces (where multiple outlets parrot the same things). And the reason is simple, no major so called journalistic outlet would like to fall out of favour with a publisher or manufacturer because that would be detrimental to their existence and revenue.

When you have to deepthroat publishers and manufacturers on a regular basis to ensure exclusive contents flow your way then game journalism isn't journalism, it's outsourced PR.

Is there any mainstream journalist that asks hard hitting questions inevitable ensuing awkwardness notwithstanding?

Not enough shaders has to be the weirdest site on net.

Not only do they want to intellectualise their own fanboy nostalgia, the site has meta political ambitions as well.

Its fucking hilarious to be honest.

pvpness

TPIYX.jpg

If you didn't want NotEnoughShaders to just be NintenGAF's playpen of wild accusatory articles and Defence Force propaganda zom3le, sometimes you have to do the tough yet right thing and rule out gigantic liabilities to you and yours credibility.

Lol. Neck-beards. I don't know much about NES, but if they're anti-neck beard then I'll give it a shot.

iammeiam

I'm so lost right now.

I'm understanding the initial sequence of events (Rogers says anonymous site didn't publish interview because it wasn't Nintendo-bashing enough to be decent clickbait, GAF sees clickbait accusation and immediately accuses Kotaku, Kotaku writer who interviewed dev defends himself from angry GAF mob), but can't wrap my brain around how Kotaku apparently isn't the one in question. Why wasn't there more protest about not trying to slant the article into a Nintendo-bash in the defense? Is Rogers lying now?

Why wasn't there more protest about not trying to slant the article into a Nintendo-bash in the defense?
Probably because the credibility of the article was called into question almost immediately. Schreier's reply happened soon after the thread was started.

Is this a correct sentence? "Be acceptable than", in particular. I'm curious, not being sarcastic.

Pretty sure when you're using "than," you are comparing the quantity of something, using words like more/greater/less/fewer. So 2 is greater than 1, I have fewer than you, this needs to be more acceptable than that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Learn to read... I never asked that, i just quoted the kotaku guy who said they will publish the interview later on.

DragonSworne posted a shyamalan twist post, so we entered joke territory. You apparently took this post seriously however and asked:

They will publish the article later on, how could they do that if they didn't interviewed them?

In which I replied

Interview them today?

Just so we have complete understanding, this is what we call a joke. But still it's a logical answer to your question. If they did interview them today they could post the interview at a later date. But apparently we must not joke about Kotaku, so I apologise, and I'm sure DragonSworne will feel the same, if joking about them hurt your feelings.

Sorry if that was harsh, but it's not nice to be called illiterate over a harmless joke.

Shinta

Banned
This is the 2nd time that Schreir has been accused of asking leading and negative questions in interviews. The first was by Notch not that long ago.

It seems that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He probably was still going to run the story, and he definitely should have been contacted, and he deserves credit for responding here. But, he probably was also asking negative and leading questions since two people have claimed that now.

Rufus

I was going to post something along the lines of 'persecution complex, bla bla' in the other thread, but held off thinking I might accuse them unfairly.

Then that happens.

Oddduck

This is the 2nd time that Schreir has been accused of asking leading and negative questions in interviews. The first was by Notch not that long ago.

It seems that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He probably was still going to run the story, and he definitely should have been contacted, and he deserves credit for responding here. But, he probably was also asking negative and leading questions since two people have claimed that now.

Thinking the same thing. This isn't the first time that this Kotaku writer has been accused of leading questions.

Notch posted this from his email inbox:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/231109744759275520

8trNC.png

JDSN

Banned
YWSCf.png

No fucking shit.

Embarrasing display from all parties involved, funny how even Kotaku, which aparently is not involved is fucking up too due assuming the comments were about them, defensive much? Brian ashcraft will probably request a Rogers panty shot as an apology.

Rufus

Embarrasing display from all parties involved, funny how even Kotaku, which aparently is not involved is fucking up too due assuming the comments were about them, defensive much?
Seeing how everyone else in the other thread assumed it was them (and that continued here) I'm not surprised about that.

Top Bottom