• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not Enough Shaders: ACKKStudios claims gaming site fished for Nintendo bashing answer

As said above, if you were lead to believe the interview was about the game you made and it turns out it isn't, then this is clearly not okay. Especially for a small indie studio who needs the exposure! That's simply exploitation.

Sounds like Rosie Odonnel's ambush of Tom Selleck.

teiresias

So a GAFer (with a Link avatar) writes for a site that is apparently nothing but a front for Nintendo apologists to have a "gaming journalism" site in order to DEFEND NINTENDO'S HONOR *RAWR*, that is caught in a scandal trying to deflect the (justified) negative press Nintendo is getting over the Wii-U launch.

It's therefore not a surprise that NES is writing a questionable story about possibly "leading" interview questions rather than talking about the unquestionable leading propaganda (aka Lies) that Reggie felt fine spewing on national cable news.

NewFresh

So a GAFer (with a Link avatar) writes for a site that is apparently nothing but a front for Nintendo apologists to have a "gaming journalism" site in order to DEFEND NINTENDO'S HONOR *RAWR*, that is caught in a scandal trying to deflect the (justified) negative press Nintendo is getting over the Wii-U launch.

It's therefore not a surprise that NES is writing a questionable story about possibly "leading" interview questions rather than talking about the unquestionable leading propaganda (aka Lies) that Reggie felt fine spewing on national cable news.

The way you say it makes it seem like they are insane. The website is clearly a website by Ninteno fans and you can gather that means Nintendo centric articles. To be frank, you seem more ravenous than they do. All I have seen of them is that they had some interesting interviews with Indie Developers and their experience with Nintendo.

The situation is a poorly handled and communicated mess, but I don't really see the point in attacking anyone who has ever written for them.

JDSN

Banned
Seeing how everyone else in the other thread assumed it was them (and that continued here) I'm not surprised about that.

But when that happens, the normal journalist course of action is to "reach out to get my side of this story" like kotaku guy hypocritically suggested Rogers to do so. Not launch into a self-centered moronic tirade against her, and more importantly, against some new indie devs stuck in the crossfire between two hacks who have proven in the past that they lack restraint, inquisitiveness and honesty.

The fact that the Kotaku "writer" is so quick to blame the devs and using the usual "Reporters should look out for each other" shit makes Kotaku looks even worst than Rogers.

jcm

Thinking the same thing. This isn't the first time that this Kotaku writer has been accused of leading questions.

Notch posted this from his email inbox:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/231109744759275520

[IMG/]http://i.imgur.com/8trNC.png[/IMG]

I think Kotaku is fucking awful, but I don't see the problem with that question at all. It's perfectly reasonable to ask a followup like that, and his response was perfectly reasonable, too.

Oddduck

Someone should write an article about an anonymous site hiring children as slaves.

I bet Kotaku would take credit for that too. It seems like Kotaku writers take credit for anything bad or evil.

JDSN

Banned
Someone should write an article about an anonymous site hiring children as slaves.

Jason looks very well fed for a slave.

I think Kotaku is fucking awful, but I don't see the problem with that question at all. It's perfectly reasonable to ask a followup like that, and his response was perfectly reasonable, too.

He is leading him on, he got his answer, but wanted the "For" or "Agaisnt" response to put on the headline.

Shinta

Banned

It seemed pretty leading to me. The first question already asked that, and even mentioned Gabe. When he got an answer with nothing juicy, he was like so you're telling me you've got nothing to say about this impending catastrophe that lots of people think is a serious catastrophe?

It's subtle, but I think it's easy to interpret it as leading. That means you can read the reporter's intentions. He doesn't want to write a story about Notch being ambivalent about most of windows 8. He wants to write about the breaking news catastrophe. That's more commentary, and not so much objective interviewing. As I said, it's subtle, but I think it's still there. Notch answered the question already. It just wasn't a juicy answer.

It doesn't seem biased against Microsoft as much as it's biased towards looking for juicy controversy. That's what he wanted to write about, and that's why he emailed him.

It's worth pointing out that Schreir was the one who also started the Tomb Raider controversy.

Oh yeah I forgot that fucking Notch thing.
Fuck you Jason. Seriously.

Emily was a fool but as before it doesn't matter if you like the system, you still want to get paid; since theres previous? Yeah best ignored on here.

Notch answers in the first reply. Not satisfied Jason tries to get a quote. He wants him to use the term catastrophe, agree or go against Gabe (thats how they'd spin it).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Isn't interesting that, after a generation in which Nintendo's console got shat on from a great height from most major outlets, Nintendo Direct's started happening?

I think that much is painfully obvious. You want something done right, you do it yourself. Metaphorically speaking, you could say the moment Iwata put on those gloves to do the unboxing was the moment the gloves came off :D

Another obvious conclusion is that Miiverse is a direct response to the likes of GAF..

jcm

It seemed pretty leading to me. The first question already asked that, and even mentioned Gabe. When he got an answer with nothing juicy, he was like so you're telling me you've got nothing to say about this impending catastrophe that lots of people think is a serious catastrophe?

It's subtle, but I think it's easy to interpret it as leading. That means you can read the reporter's intentions. He doesn't want to write a story about Notch being ambivalent about most of windows 8. He wants to write about the breaking news catastrophe. That's more commentary, and not so much objective interviewing. As I said, it's subtle, but I think it's still there. Notch answered the question already. It just wasn't a juicy answer.

It doesn't seem biased against Microsoft as much as it's biased towards looking for juicy controversy. That's what he wanted to write about, and that's why he emailed him.

It's worth pointing out that Schreir was the one who also started the Tomb Raider controversy.

Sure, I can see that the phrasing isn't ideal, but really where's the harm? Newell said it's a catastrophe. Asking one influential PC dev if he agrees with another influential PC dev seems fairly reasonable to me, especially since he began from a fairly neutral position. He didn't twist Notch's words, or take them out of context, or just write some bullshit. If it's a sin, it's really minor, particularly within the context of the games writing industry.

I'm not familiar with the Tomb Raider thing, since I've made it my policy not to read Kotaku for years now.

z0m3le

Banned
I don't spit on your work, you are entitled to your opinion and managing a website demands skills and patience.
But this insane Nintendo apologism is very off-putting to me.

I presume only positive articles about Nintendo are validated.

You know what they say about assuming things. Since the process is simple and we are getting more articles, I'm sure everything some view points from microsoft and sony fans will come forward. It's not like we are all JUST Nintendo fans either, I personally enjoyed the heck out of my 360 and if you've listened to the podcasts, episode 4 or 5 had a pretty big section about how Nintendo dropped the ball on the Wii for the last 2 years and that they really were horrible with supporting that console when they switched over to Wii U.

Also to your first point, I think that Wii U should of had a faster CPU and ram, it wouldn't of hurt to make the system a 60watt or even an 80watt console, or heck use a smaller process than 45nm or 40nm. I have opinions and while I always buy a Nintendo console, it doesn't mean I don't see the mistakes they always seem to make. I've played most of my Wii games through dolphin for the last two years because I don't like dealing with all those sharp edges, I could cut myself.

The single biggest problem with games journalism is that besides reviews, the rest of the all forms of coverages are just puff pieces (where multiple outlets parrot the same things). And the reason is simple, no major so called journalistic outlet would like to fall out of favour with a publisher or manufacturer because that would be detrimental to their existence and revenue.

When you have to deepthroat publishers and manufacturers on a regular basis to ensure exclusive contents flow your way then game journalism isn't journalism, it's outsourced PR.

Is there any mainstream journalist that asks hard hitting questions inevitable ensuing awkwardness notwithstanding?

I really wish there was, this is exactly why I decided to be part of NES, I figure without revenue, there is little chance we would just become a PR site, but we need more view points. Still we will never get interviews with big name developers or publishers, so we don't have a chance to even ask these questions. We also don't repost news, all of our content is unique and that is a goal for us.

As for Emily, she virtually put the site on anyones radar, she worked on huge articles with tons of data and fact checking, she didn't see the site as her blog and realized she couldn't just write opinion pieces. She also built a relationship with indie devs, and I'd say 90% of the dozens of interviews we have on the site is because of her. I'm not trying to defend the article, if I had seen it before hand (I could have ;) if I would have asked) I would of probably told her that the developer should probably be anonymous and the site should be named. (I haven't asked her which site, and I won't. The existence of such a site is bad enough)

Haunted

Thread was worth it for this picture.

3UEZjl.jpg

Shinta

Banned
Sure, I can see that the phrasing isn't ideal, but really where's the harm? Newell said it's a catastrophe. Asking one influential PC dev if he agrees with another influential PC dev seems fairly reasonable to me, especially since he began from a fairly neutral position. He didn't twist Notch's words, or take them out of context, or just write some bullshit. If it's a sin, it's really minor, particularly within the context of the games writing industry.

I'm not familiar with the Tomb Raider thing, since I've made it my policy not to read Kotaku for years now.

The "harm" is in leading the person being interviewed into an answer they might not otherwise give. He started out by saying he was emailing him because he saw him say something negative about Windows 8 on Reddit. Then asked him twice to say something negative about it. He practically emailed him to say, I'm writing a negative story about windows 8 and want to put your name on it. Are you cool with that?

It's different from impartially asking prominent PC developers what they think of windows 8, and then framing your story around what they said. I admitted it was subtle, but it's still there. And tone is everything sometimes. For example, if you frame every story you write about Japanese gaming in terms of, "what are they doing wrong this time and how can they fix it?" You'll still be asking for their input, but the whole story is steered into a negative space it didn't necessarily need to be in. And it's done that way on purpose to get clicks.

Sometimes it's a fine line between reporting the news and creating the news yourself (aka: making a controversy out of relatively little). Does that bother you? Up to you. I know they have to write to get clicks, but it still bothers me. It's worse when they steer stories into the same controversies over and over for a long period of time. They did that for windows 8 and wrote multiple articles for a week or two about how it's a catastrophe. It's trying to sustain a controversy for as long as possible to milk the traffic. The "harm" is a media environment built around manufactured outrage, and excessive negativity.

z0m3le

Banned

I think I'm post #20? in the reggie thread from yesterday, yeah he is lying out of his teeth, but I don't see how liking Zelda, Halo or Half-Life makes me unethical. Also the owner of the site is a pikachu wielding a AK-47 around these forums.

Seda

Emily is "saying goodbye" on Twitter.

She really should stand behind her mistakes. But maybe the negativity is just too much.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this is her second time, she'll be back in a few months

Well let's hope so, GAF is a pretty unexciting place without regular threads about new posts on the meteorically rising Not Enough Shaders!!!!

Izayoi

Banned
They're doing all of our work for us. The carnival of stupid never ends, it's a continuous downward spiral.

Gaming journalism really is a fucking joke, it's beyond pathetic at this point.

Uthred

But when that happens, the normal journalist course of action is to "reach out to get my side of this story" like kotaku guy hypocritically suggested Rogers to do so. Not launch into a self-centered moronic tirade against her, and more importantly, against some new indie devs stuck in the crossfire between two hacks who have proven in the past that they lack restraint, inquisitiveness and honesty.

The fact that the Kotaku "writer" is so quick to blame the devs and using the usual "Reporters should look out for each other" shit makes Kotaku looks even worst than Rogers.

Thats stretching the definition of tirade to basically breaking point

... Right, so I don't know if you got the memo, but my work is edited on the site by people who know what the English language is. Personally I was home schooled until the 7th grade, so I was never the best with spelling or Language Arts.

I just thought it was amusing in context of it being brought up earlier.

Sykane

http://kotaku.com/5963341/first-cam...-unusual-wii-u-indie-game-then-came-the-drama

schreier posts about this.

So it does seem like they are talking about the kotaku interview... but miscommunications and assumptions and what not lead to this.

From reading that article, it seems Rogers was pulling stuff out of her ass, but who knows it could just be damage control from the devs. Either way, to me it looks like Rogers is the one coming out of the whole thing with egg (or spaghetti-o's)on her face. Talk about fishing for controversy...

tim.mbp

http://kotaku.com/5963341/first-cam...-unusual-wii-u-indie-game-then-came-the-drama

schreier posts about this.

So it does seem like they are talking about the kotaku interview... but miscommunications and assumptions and what not lead to this.

So I gave AckkStudios another call to clear things up. Speaking to me on the phone this afternoon, Andrew Allanson, Brian's brother and co-founder of the company, told me he thinks Rogers' article was a series of miscommunications and incorrect facts. He said he did indeed think Rogers was talking about Kotaku, as AckkStudios had not had any other interviews with large gaming websites. He said they spoke to several European magazines and websites, and that they had received a call from someone who claimed to be from IGN (and said he would call them back later, but never did), but he couldn't recall any other recent interviews.

Allanson added that they had talked to Rogers about their interview with me, but he said they hadn't told her anything that she had written—"I had no idea she was writing an article about this," he said—and he said he asked Rogers to take the article down.

"She did exactly what she was accusing other people of doing... She is probably linking a lot of unrelated things," he said. "It's just bad journalism."

Rogers would not speak on the record for this story, although she has said on Twitter that she "removed the article to prevent any politics for the studio."

Schreier comes off much better than Rogers here.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So it really was about Kotaku then? Considering she deleted the article and her Twitter profile, she knows what she did was wrong. Very poor behavior.

iammeiam

Schreier comes off much better than Rogers here.

He earns points for going back and listening to his interview again prior to commenting on the content (doing this also explains why it wasn't addressed in the initial GAF post I think), definitely.

jschreier

He earns points for going back and listening to his interview again prior to commenting on the content (doing this also explains why it wasn't addressed in the initial GAF post I think), definitely.

You are right. I remembered that interview going quite well, but it was three weeks ago, so I wanted to re-listen before commenting on the specifics.

As for the Notch thing brought up a few times in this thread, well, if you think that question was inappropriate or out of line in some way I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Not having read any of the thread yet, I have no problems believing that Emily Rogers and co. are completely full of shit.

wutwutwut

wat? It is very much a leading question. "What do you think of Windows 8" is not a leading question. "Do you think that Windows 8 is a catastrophe" is. Note the distinction from a loaded question.

LuchaShaq

Banned
wat? It is very much a leading question. "What do you think of Windows 8" is not a leading question. "Do you think that Windows 8 is a catastrophe" is. Note the distinction from a loaded question.

It's an email from someone that he has no real need to respond to outside of being nice. This wasn't a criminal trial where notch had to answer immediately and had in person pressure or the danger of prison/perjury.

If the dude was that much of a push over someone would have bought minecraft from him before he sold a bajillionty and five copies.

Zomba13

Well... at least this whole mess has made me aware of the game. From the Kickstarter page it sounds interesting.

PhantomR

Banned
This is the hilarious aspect for me. I guess we'll see when the Kotaku Twobrothers interview is finally put up, but I assume the questions from kotaku were similarly leaning towards 'How often did the Wii U beat your wife?"

Isn't interesting that, after a generation in which Nintendo's console got shat on from a great height from most major outlets, Nintendo Direct's started happening?

Yup, and rightfully so. It was about time that Nintendo took messaging of their products into their own hands instead of allowing hostile gaming press to do it for them.

Per Iwata it looks like the Nintendo Directs have been very successful and will continue as a result.

Top Bottom