• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not Enough Shaders: ACKKStudios claims gaming site fished for Nintendo bashing answer

Deacon

wat? It is very much a leading question. "What do you think of Windows 8" is not a leading question. "Do you think that Windows 8 is a catastrophe" is. Note the distinction from a loaded question.

I don't see why this is such an issue. This is what journalism is all about now. It's a must to drive sales. Not every story can be positive as it would not bring in the masses. It's not always the interviewer that has the agenda. The interviewee can have one as well and could be hiding something that could affect image, sales and/or relationships in the future.

At any rate this is a no win situation for any journalist. Your damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Shaneus

I'm wondering if (from that quote that was posted from the article) one of the things that was assumed about the interview was that leading questions were asked? The dev seems to be co-operating with Kotaku without any real hassle, something I imagine wouldn't have been the case if they were trying to lead the interview towards shitting on Nintendo.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm wondering if (from that quote that was posted from the article) one of the things that was assumed about the interview was that leading questions were asked? The dev seems to be co-operating with Kotaku without any real hassle, something I imagine wouldn't have been the case if they were trying to lead the interview towards shitting on Nintendo.

I don't doubt that it was little more than an assumption--and an incredibly hypocritical one at that--but by the same token the devs were always gonna side with the big outlet that bothered to do the bare minimum of fact-checking over the tiny one that betrayed their confidentiality.

FStop7

Banned
I don't see Jason Schreier's question as leading, though it's a bad question in that it forces Notch to either publicly align or dissent with Gabe Newell and Windows 8 very prematurely. If I were Notch I would have LOLed and said next question.

Corto

wat? It is very much a leading question. "What do you think of Windows 8" is not a leading question. "Do you think that Windows 8 is a catastrophe" is. Note the distinction from a loaded question.

"Do you agree with Gabe Newell that Windows 8 is a catastrophe to anyone in the PC space?"

Pretty sound journalism and not loaded in any way shape or form. Only if you consider the interviewer using Gabe Newell opinion on the matter could in some way sway Notch's answer. Gabe Newell is a prominent figure in the video games industry, Notch is a successful video games developer, it's of journalistic importance to know if he agrees that Windows 8 is detrimental to video games development and distribution as we know it, and if he disagrees, have a follow up question with his reasons.

I don't see Jason Schreier's question as leading, though it's a bad question in that it forces Notch to either publicly align or dissent with Gabe Newell and Windows 8 very prematurely. If I were Notch I would have LOLed and said next question.

Notch is an intelligent guy. Even if he disagreed with Gabe he could have easily said so with his answer in a reasonable way that couldn't be understood as confrontational to Gabe. "It's still too early for me to have an informed opinion on windows 8 etc etc etc"

Cheerilee

Thinking the same thing. This isn't the first time that this Kotaku writer has been accused of leading questions.

Notch posted this from his email inbox:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/231109744759275520

8trNC.png

Wow, videogaming's PR division games journalism is a massively whipped bunch of pussies if that's what passes for a complaint-worthy feather-ruffling.

It's a reporter's JOB to ask leading questions. They're supposed to dig. They're not performing a census. They're not moderators in a debate. This isn't a trial. You guys are assuming that all reporters will always pounce on a slipup and use it to frame a lie. It's not your responsibility to think that way, it's the responsibility of the stonewalling interviewee.

DocSeuss

Wow, videogaming's PR division games journalism is a massively whipped bunch of pussies if that's what passes for a complaint-worthy feather-ruffling.

It's a reporter's JOB to ask leading questions. They're supposed to dig. They're not performing a census. They're not moderators in a debate. This isn't a trial. You guys are assuming that all reporters will always pounce on a slipup and use it to frame a lie. It's not your responsibility to think that way, it's the responsibility of the stonewalling interviewee.

That email exchange looks like basic journalism 101.

I dont want my game creators devs having a hard time dealing with scum it is my responsability to defend them.
They dont want to inform us they want hits.

freddy

Banned

Yea, but who gives a fuck if he is asking if Windows 8 is a catastrophe or if Nintendo is still treating developers like shit. The only wrong thing would be if he kept on asking it question after question, making it the main focus of the interview, which he clearly didn't.

I only heard about Not Enough Shaders due to the Vigil incident. After reading the article I was shocked that she didn't reach out to THQ/Vigil to get their side of the story. She just ran with it.

A few people did a quick google search and found that Xander was tweeting about the inner-goings on at Vigil while working there before any formal announcements were made by Vigil or THQ. Which no doubt was a huge issue for Vigil and would be one reason for letting him go at the end of his probationary period.

Then it just turned into a huge self-promotion piece at the end.

Shaneus

I noticed that when someone said it before, because I thought they were just talking about that tweet.

Nope, she actually *did* delete her Twitter account. Wow.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So a website decided not to publish an interview in which the interviewee admits to dodging questions "left and right"?

Seems okay to me.

People want tougher games journalism, then get upset when a website asks tough questions.
Well, if it went like the article's version of the dev claimed, then the site was attempting to manufacture news rather than report it which isn't the same thing as asking tough questions. That's just sucking out loud at your job.

Of course, that doesn't work if the reporter in question is busy reporting dreams she had rather than discussing anything resembling reality...

I feel bad for the studio. The article obviously shouldn't have been written without the consent of the studio. They shouldn't be stigmatized with "tattling" to other journalists.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I feel bad for the studio. The article obviously shouldn't have been written without the consent of the studio. They shouldn't be stigmatized with "tattling" to other journalists.

If anyone is going to be stigmatized here it should be Emily Rogers--she betrayed the confidence of one of the few devs generous enough to talk to her, she dragged them into some petty little internet kerfuffle without prior warning and from the sounds of things she may have been putting words in their mouths, too, and for what? An article written with all the intellectual rigour of a bowler hat full of dog shit.

Instro

Hopefully this is the last time we will see her articles posted here, but I doubt it. Her legions of dumb fans/friends continue to prop her up as a real journalist, but time and again she has proven otherwise. It's the same gaffers every time too. Now after managing to do something good for 1 developer, she turned around and fucked them over. In the end its the exact same m.o. that she has been known for, creating stories that are not actually there. Taking even the most minor comments or events and weaving in fabrications to get attention.

Shaneus

Oh, I think I need to post just... one... more...

http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/lets-make-a-bet/2/
I am willing to risk everything on these predictions. If I am wrong on any of these predictions, I will never write an article again.
What to expect for Project Cafe/Wii HD/Wii 2

*Soul Calibur 5 is a launch game for Project Cafe. It will be on the show floor. Will have exclusive content. Nintendo pushed Namco to make Soul Calibur 5 become Project Cafe’s fighting game for launch the same way that Street Fighter 3DS became the flagship fighting launch title for Nintendo 3DS.

* Much more improved online system. Nintendo went to another company to help them with their online gaming services.
Well, maybe this was a whole thing to make it look like she had another reason for not writing anymore, and not what is written above.
Some of the comments in that article are fucking hilarious, though. Someone even commented on there a few weeks ago, despite it being a year-old article.

FyreWulff

To be fair she was fairly spot on with that group of predictions...

.. we'd also find out later that SC5 was rushed out earlier than originally planned :lol

And

*The team that worked on Smash Bros 64, Smash Bros Melee, and Smash Bros Brawl transferred the assets of the game to another developer to work on it. The original Smash Bros team is not working on this new Smash Bros title.

We'd find out later that Namco is now working on Smash. So it sounds like her sources were fairly good, but Namco suddenly changed their plans later for SC5.

Instro

We'd find out later that Namco is now working on Smash. So it sounds like her sources were fairly good, but Namco suddenly changed their plans later for SC5.

Every Smash Bros has had a different team working on it, don't be ridiculous. She was a fraud. Now she's just a really bad game journalist instead.

EDIT: Read too fast and jumped to conclusions based on my own biases without reading the whole topic. Now my prior post makes me look stupid. Good thing I'm not a journo I guess XD.

urfe

This thread was a great read for my hour long commute tonight.

I honestly think Jason always comes across as a well intentioned good guy. I like that he comes here to give his opinion on what is basically people bashing him and the site he works for.

Also, funnily, his article on this whole mess was one of his better written ones in my opinion. Blessing in disguise for him and this indie game company? (after reading his article, this game seroiusly looks awesome. Sadly, I'm guessing it won't be out on the Japanese eShop?

Shame Emily can't just own up to making a mistake. I respect anyone who can admit their mistakes. It's kind of sad that something that should be the norm earns my respect, but it seems like so many people these days are so scared of losing face.

Anyways, the important thing is my commute was entertaining. The Sobu Rapid was never smoother.

if ACKKStudios were smart enough.....they would make the game ending the true revelation for this whole mess..

or name the final boss "Ms.Rogers" or "The Schreier" :eek:

I'm sold on that game btw :p

freddy

Banned
I'd just like to add this. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday but I gave that site a look over and whoever writes under that name Emily Rogers has a lot of talent for a young person. If you use this whole episode as a learning experience and something to help you grow, one day you could find yourself working for one of those bigger sites and be in a position to make a real difference.

So quietly make whatever apologies you need to, take the outraged criticisms of net dwellers with a grain of salt and move forward a bit wiser than you were last week. You'll take a lot of hits in life and sometimes face scorn for doing what you believe is right. It's not about how you fell down, but how you stood back up. Just some advice from someone who's been there and back again. Good luck.

I'd just like to add this. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday but I gave that site a look over and whoever writes under that name Emily Rogers has a lot of talent for a young person. If you use this whole episode as a learning experience and something to help you grow, one day you could find yourself working for one of those bigger sites and be in a position to make a real difference.

So quietly make whatever apologies you need to, take the outraged criticisms of net dwellers with a grain of salt and move forward a bit wiser than you were last week. You'll take a lot of hits in life and sometimes face scorn for doing what you believe is right. It's not about how you fell down, but how you stood back up. Just some advice from someone who's been there and back again. Good luck.

To make such a fundamental mistake as not getting permission from a source to run an article, NES and the journalism world is probably better off without her.

Joni

To make such a fundamental mistake as not getting permission from a source to run an article, NES and the journalism world is probably better off without her.

And for the second time not getting a quote from the person/company blamed in the article.

And for the second time not getting a quote from the person/company blamed in the article.

Just shoddy all around. Good journalism isn't about "doing what you think is right". It's about actually getting information from every angle and putting it together even if it contradicts your own perceived notions. It's kind of like a science in that way.

Sendou

Blessing in disguise for him and this indie game company? (after reading his article, this game seroiusly looks awesome. Sadly, I'm guessing it won't be out on the Japanese eShop?

It will. It's made by an American game studio who Emily Rogers got in touch with NoA.

Who said it was?

Well you said this

You'll take a lot of hits in life and sometimes face scorn for doing what you believe is right.

Which doesn't mean I thought you thought that journalism was about that, but if she really sat down and decided to do this thinking it was the right thing to do I question her judgment completely on these types of things especially after already blowing a lot of her credibility with those terrible rumors last year.

freddy

Banned
Which doesn't mean I thought you thought that journalism was about that, but if she really sat down and decided to do this thinking it was the right thing to do I question her judgment completely on these types of things especially after already blowing a lot of her credibility with those terrible rumors last year.
Well, sometimes young people act first and think later. There's no doubt it causes some problems and ruffles some feathers but it's not he end of the world either. Anyway have a good one. :)

@MUWANdo

Banned

I don't know/remember the specifics but this is far from the first "mistake" she's made.

Polk

Was I the only one who though that Not Enough Shaders sounds like parody site (similiar to UK:R but for Wii U)?

troushers

The more I think about it, the sequence of events makes no fucking sense to me at all.

What is the scenario here?
A
-Emily Rogers speaks to a dev who is privately moaning that their one major interview with ?? isn't posted yet.
-She writes an article reporting this, and inventing the main thrust of the argument - that the dev also reported that many of the questions were leading ones, attempting to frame the interview as Wii U bashing
-Kotaku decides it must be them, checks with the dev who says it is a pack of baloney.
-Rogers is tarred and feathered.

Or:
B
-Emily Rogers speaks to a dev who is privately moaning that their one major interview with ?? isn't posted yet, and that the questions were leading.
-She writes an article reporting this
-Kotaku decides it must be them, asks the dev if they said that and the dev lies to kotaku.
Now their lie could either have been
1)they didn't want to admit what they said about kotaku privately
2)they didn't want to talk about the other, non-kotaku interview (since they never wanted it to come out anyway according to the original article).

I'm going with B2. Dev lied. There was another interview, it wasn't with kotaku. Most people seem to believe A because of their poor opinion of Rogers' journalistic standards. But that would be too weird an invention for me: there had to have been some basis for the original complaint. But B2 is consistent with the original article, and everything that has transpired since, including Rogers saying "it wasn't kotaku" and dev saying "we only spoke to kotaku".

Shaneus

But why would you delete your own Twitter account if the scenario was even remotely close to B?

I'm also confused by this line:
"This is because ACKKStudios didn’t give them any ammo to create a negative story or a controversial headline a few weeks before Wii U’s launch."
That's not her quoting or paraphrasing or even saying that's the gist of what she got from said developer. That's putting it out as fact. It may well have been partially because of it, in conjunction with other factors (as stated earlier, things like it being the same week CoD was coming out) but being that she spoke to no one other than the developers, she has no right to make the allegation without either quoting them or mentioning solid evidence (such as an email that was circulating Kotaku saying that's why it wasn't getting published).

If anything from the past few months of journalistic snafus has taught us, it's that you can't get away with throwing a fistful of shit at a wall and hoping a tiny bit of it sticks.

I hope there's more to it than that, but there are a lot of "opinion as fact" that doesn't really scream of journalistic integrity. But it's very (VERY) early days yet, so I'm sure we'll see what comes of it in the coming days.

Jackpot

Banned
I think Kotaku is fucking awful, but I don't see the problem with that question at all. It's perfectly reasonable to ask a followup like that, and his response was perfectly reasonable, too.

As one game dev described it: "You invest nothing. 30 sec email. You fish and you may get a juicy quote! I don't fault you but it is what it is."

And schrier has repeatedly labelled himself as a proper "journalist" despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Top Bottom