• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRA opposes bipartisan bump fire stock bill in Congress

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/politics/nra-opposes-bump-stock-bills/index.html

The National Rifle Association says it is opposed to new legislation in the US Senate and the House that would ban the production and sale of "bump fire stocks"

"The ATF should review bump-fire stocks to ensure they comply with federal law," said Jennifer Baker, spokeswoman for the Institute for Legislative Action at the NRA, referencing the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "We oppose the gun-control legislation being offered by Senator Feinstein and Representatives Curbelo and Moulton. These bills are intentionally overreaching and would ban commonly owned firearm accessories."

Of course they would.

Even the biggest alley-oop of all time can't be taken without the NRA pushing their precious "take our guns" narrative.

Beartruck

They were for it a week ago. I imagine they saw the spiking sales of bump stocks after the shooting and went "Oop, nevermind."

kmax

Children were murdered and they stopped change from happening.

If they did that, then nothing will stop them.

PMS341

The NRA is for the unhinged. My old boss at GameStop was so obsessed with the NRA that he started selling gun accessories and training on the side. Customers would come in looking for him to buy gun stuff from, and they were always the most aggressive, shitty people.

I grew up in the Deep South. I understand guns can be fun to take target practicing in the woods or field or range. But goddamn, it's pretty pathetic that masculinity is so fragile that a nation-wide gun club can control law just so they don't lose bits and pieces of what holds them together.

mackattk

Because regulating the sale of bump stocks is a slippery slope to taking all the guns away.

Also, bump stocks ARE NOT EQUAL to fully automatic weapons. Fully automatic weapons are HEAVILY REGULATED and almost impossible for the random civilian to get their hands on.

These are what I have heard when talking to some people about it. Dumbasses.

CookTrain

I know no-one is the villain in their own story...

... but really now? This is almost comic book villainy. Really can't be compromising our hobbies over a trivial thing like the loss of human life.

Thinking about it... by saying in the immediate aftermath that they were for regulating this stuff, weren't they basically causing a run on the product, doing retailers a favour with a big surge in purchases? Jump sales by x% and then actually, don't regulate a damn thing. It's literally "Obama is coming for your guns" all over again.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Weren't they supporting this legislation a week ago?

I wonder if there's wording allowing a later overreach on this stuff in the law.

Occam

Shocking. Next you'll tell me that sofware age rating organizations don't think loot boxes are a form of gambling.

Eusis

They probably wanted some vague "regulation" than an active ban. But fuck them just the same, it's not something to fuck around with.

Kthulhu

I know no-one is the villain in their own story...

... but really now? This is almost comic book villainy. Really can't be compromising our hobbies over a trivial thing like the loss of human life.

Basically. If videogames were killing people I wouldn't be claiming they shouldn't be regulated.

Are there any other groups of people this obsessed with their hobby that they can effectively halt all regulations?

Futureman

Ban all semi-automatic weapons. What is the point of a semi-automatic gun? As far as I know there is no hunting use for such a gun, so why should someone have one?

So they do think that they should be regulated but that the ATF should add new regulations for them rather than rushing to pass a legislative bill.

Admittedly, I don't know very much about how well the ATF currently regulates these sorts of things and how their process for adding new regulations works, but on the surface that actually seems fine to me. They make it sound like the ATF could review these types of products individually and allow for much more reactive regulation rather than quickly passing a rigid bill that manufacturers may be able to just creatively find loopholes around later. Isn't that why bump stocks are even a thing in the first place?

EDIT: So did anyone actually read the article?

kmax

Just "get small" the next time a mass shooting occur, while the GOP continues to collect NRA's paychecks to do absolutely nothing.

What a fucked up country.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Would they still sell them and weapons if someone would kill off more than half of the people working in the NRA?
Probably. The other half would probably go "people need moar guns" or something. They don't get it.

The whole "solve guns with more guns" narrative is just mind boggling. I remember someone telling me that wanting gun control in response to mass shootings is akin to fighting drunk driving by making it harder for people to drive sober.

Like... what? But that's how they feel. They really, truly believe that the answer to gun violence is more guns.

Bookoo

They fucking said bumpstocks should be regulated.

Regulated, not banned.

I heard a lot of people calling out how much wiggle they had in their original statement (below).
Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Well, it was almost two weeks ago, aren't we moving on? Back to the same old

Top Bottom