• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NUJV! The Beatles: Rock Band Official Thread...And Your Friends Can Sing

Milchmonster said:
So you're playing drums with a guitar, cool :D

And yeah, let's stop this, everything except Strat 1 is good. Everyone has different favorites, though.
The Xplorer and the Les Paul are also shit, but everything else is good.

corkscrewblow said:
You've obviously never used a GH5 guitar, the clear pro's choice. I'll just leave it at that.

GH5 guitar still squeaks and clicks, just like the WT and the Les Paul. The Les Paul is wonderful except for the neck connections coming loose. Sure, you could do the paper trick every month, but it does get annoying. The WT and GH5 guitars are good, but I personally dont like the thick neck on them.

The Hofner and Strat 2s are great though. The frets are closer together and easier to do HOPO with, and I love how silent the strum is on them. The strat 1 was a pain in the ass though, mainly because the tilt function didnt work half the time, and the strum bar was shit. They fixed that with the strat 2 at least.

In the end, people should give both a try (and not the demo unit ones, since they are usually abused and worn to hell to make accurate judgements) and decide what guitar suits them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Blu_LED said:
Hmm, I must have lucked out with my Les--been going strong for years now. The squeakiness on the WT one is terrible though. I'm sure there's a workaround but frankly I don't like the guitar enough to bother.

AMUSIX

I have yet to play a GH guitar with nearly the build quality of the Beatles instruments.

That said, everything else comes down to preference. Many 'top players' play with GH guitars because they started with GH1 and 2, and have gotten used to the click and the separated buttons on the frets. However, top scores have also been placed by strat players, which just woudln't happen if the guitar were inferior.

Phreak47

AMUSIX said:
Was playing with the Rickenbaker last night...no GH guitar can match the feel of it or the Gretch. If you can drop the $100, I'd say those two stand as the best guiters on the market right now.

FYI, Costco sells these both for $90.... so a little bit of savings can be had.

K' Dash

Blu_LED said:

I have one Les Paul working perfectly since GHIII, I bought it new from a friend, I see people complaining about loose conections but I have never experimented that with mine, I <3 it.

Wizpig

Wizpig said:
i think i'll buy the software-only version then.
Bought!
Will play with my 360 Guitar Hero 3 controller.

So... a couple of questions.

Anyone tried the drums of the Beatles bundle? good hardware quality?
What about the guitars?
And... which type of microphones can i use on the 360? Rock Band mic only?

ElNarez

Banned
Wizpig said:
Bought!
Anyone tried the drums of the Beatles bundle? good hardware quality?
What about the guitars?
And... which type of microphones can i use on the 360? Rock Band mic only?
-Drums are RB2 drums, except quieter and sturdier
-The Höfner is incredibly beautiful. Strum bar is soft, but not too soft like the RB1 Strat was. Frets are super quiet, which is awesome, and did I mention it was incredibly beautiful ? I must warn you however : It's a bass, so it's longer and therefore it might tire your arm a bit, but other than that it's REALLY GOOD.
-The Gretsch is SMEXY. Other than that, it's just a shorter and sexier Höfner, kinda like Eva Longoria. And also flat vibrato.

Minamu

Am I reading this wrong? You can't sing harmonies online? So if you only have 1 mic, you're screwed if you wanna get the achievements?

Also, on Friday, Beatles' song Birthday has its 41st anniversary. And it just so happens to be my birthday too. Coincidence? :D
I'm not 41 though, phew.

Minamu

Crag Dweller said:
Something wrong with being in your 40's? :p
Haha no, not if you're not 40+ in your head :p

Edit: And with that said, I've just 5*'d every song on expert with both guitar & bass ^^

Piano

Banned
Yargh! I can get so close to getting 100% on I Saw Her Standing There on Bass...but carpal tunnel spasms always kick in 3/4 of the way through and I don't want to leave the strum bar to pause and rest.

Minamu

TheEastonator said:
Yargh! I can get so close to getting 100% on I Saw Her Standing There on Bass...but carpal tunnel spasms always kick in 3/4 of the way through and I don't want to leave the strum bar to pause and rest.
I know how you feel. I'm stuck at 99% The more retries I do, the sooner I fail :( I feel like throwing something when you miss a note after a 700+ note streak :lol I'll never understand why such songs doesn't have hopos all over. I don't really care if it's unrealistic or whatever, it's more fun that way. It's only slightly less boring than songs with single notes or chords of the same color for 100 notes in a row. I fall asleep on such songs. Like the beginning of Helter Skelter only 4 times as long. YAWN! :)

DLC and a rough schedule was already announced earlier, and is in the original post but this seems to have a little bit more info on the exact release date and pricing (from the Rock Band Community email sent out today)

http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/news/post/8

Abbey Road (1969)
Release Date: October 20, 2009

Pricing: $16.98 (or 1360 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
$1.99 (or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for individual tracks

* “Come Together”
* “Something”
* “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”
* “Oh! Darling”
* “Octopus’s Garden”
* “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”
* “Here Comes The Sun”
* “Because”
* “You Never Give Me Your Money”
* “Sun King”
* “Mean Mr. Mustard”
* “Polythene Pam”
* “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”
* “Golden Slumbers”
* “Carry That Weight”
* “The End”
* “Her Majesty”

In addition, purchasers of the full album download of Abbey Road will have the option to play the famous 16-minute B-side medley as a single continuous track. The medley includes “You Never Give Me Your Money,” “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard,” “Polythene Pam,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,” “Golden Slumbers,” “Carry That Weight” and “The End.”

Blizzard

Banned
Side note, that $10 used Disney microphone turned out to be Logitech. If it ends up working I might get a new Logitech microphone to go with it. :D

soul creator said:
DLC and a rough schedule was already announced earlier, and is in the original post but this seems to have a little bit more info on the exact release date and pricing (from the Rock Band Community email sent out today)

You should only list the songs that are included in the pack, though - that list definitely looks worth $17. The *actual* list, not so much...not really excited by the first album :( Most of the songs in the medley are just too short...

OP said:
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
Her Majesty

Dreamwriter said:
You should only list the songs that are included in the pack, though - that list definitely looks worth $17. The *actual* list, not so much...not really excited by the first album :( Most of the songs in the medley are just too short...

good point...I forgot some of the songs are already on disc :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Blu_LED said:

So wrong. Unless you have one of the Les Pauls that lose contacts in the neck/body connection, the Les Paul is pretty kickass.

saunderez

Wario64 said:
So wrong. Unless you have one of the Les Pauls that lose contacts in the neck/body connection, the Les Paul is pretty kickass.
It was a great guitar if you could keep it alive. Sadly, out of the 3 I've had only 1 remains standing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
soul creator said:

If Sgt. Pepper is priced the same as Abbey Road, the album will be an awful deal compared to buying tracks individually. There are only 8 new tracks to be had there, and that's counting Within You Without You.

Rubber Soul, by comparison, has 11 that aren't already in the game, I believe.

If people are looking for a cheap guitar deal Best Buy is currently selling the Guitar Hero III double guitar edition with two wireless Les Pauls for $50.

Xevren

It's possible to just hardwire the Les Paul's connections from inside the body to the neck to avoid the shoddy neck issues.

Grecco

Gary Whitta said:
If people are looking for a cheap guitar deal Best Buy is currently selling the Guitar Hero III double guitar edition with two wireless Les Pauls for $50.
It's like 14 bucks at tru and sears ( the gh3bundle)

Ricker

LaneDS said:
Hah, that is indeed pretty fucked up. Most expensive twenty seconds of Rock Band ever.

They will probably just not have that song to download individually,problem solved.

They should of replaced the Abbey Road songs from TBRB with other songs(like All my Loving,She Loves You,etc) since a DLC was coming.Since I want to play the Abbey Road medly like 1 song,I have to buy the whole album,but there's 6 songs from that already in TBRB...what to do...

Cathcart

Dreamwriter said:

You're not excited about playing side two of Abbey Road. K, maybe you bought the wrong game.

olimpia84

17 bucks is a bit too much for those songs considering they're fairly short. To buy the DLC or not to buy, that is the question

Ricker said:
They will probably just not have that song to download individually,problem solved.
Well they certainly made it redeemable separately as one of the three free tracks you got if you pre-ordered from Gamestop.

Daigoro

Oct 20th come to meeeeeeeeeeee!

olimpia84 said:
17 bucks is a bit too much for those songs considering they're fairly short. To buy the DLC or not to buy, that is the question

buy. every last stitch.

I don't feel like $17 is unfair for 10 new songs (I'm not counting Her Majesty) especially when it completes one of the best albums ever. And if we are counting buying Her Majesty then buying the album would have $5 savings. Of course, I'm probably biased since it is some of my favorite music. :D

Vicious

As far as guitars go, I'm not suggesting what people should be using but I just wanted to add that I'm still using my Les Paul from the GH3 launch, which is still perfect. Never had one problem with it (avoided the contact issue with the neck that some people had).

And as for the clicking, it's not really the clicking sound that I prefer, but the feeling of resistance from the click. I don't hear the sound of it because I always play these games with headphones (both guitar and drums).

Wizpig

Not many people playing online, but waiting a lot can help, too bad you can't hear people singing.

Also, is there anyone i should know before playing online?
I noticed the screen turned purple at a certain time and it seems to me that the Beatle mania also works differently...

edit. Also, i unlocked "In Penny Lane There is a Barber" because a guy in my group in his Career unlocked 50% of the photos.
I have got like 15/20%...

Scythesurge said:
I don't feel like $17 is unfair for 10 new songs (I'm not counting Her Majesty) especially when it completes one of the best albums ever. And if we are counting buying Her Majesty then buying the album would have $5 savings. Of course, I'm probably biased since it is some of my favorite music. :D

If they were 10 full songs, you'd be right. But they aren't. Most of those songs are the little dregs, bits here and here that the Beatles just hadn't gotten around to finishing, which is why they threw them all on as one big medley, smoothly going from one to the next. I mean, two of those songs are just a minute long, and another two 90 seconds!

The full 16-minute medley is cool and all, but I think $17 is just too pricey for what you get. I may still get it, just to have more to play, but I also might just get two or three full songs from the album (I *love* Maxwell's Silver Hammer) and call it good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, until looking at the tracklist for Abbey Road again, I didn't realize how slim the pickins were once you take away the songs already on the disc. That being said, I'll probably end up downloading all the DLC for this game, since I dig the music and I've already played every song at least 3 times. Sgt. Pepper will be a little better in that regard, just being able to play "A Day in the Life" will be worth the price of admission. They haven't said anything about Magical Mystery Tour, but they HAVE to get "Strawberry Fields Forever" in this game, it wouldn't be complete without it.

Top Bottom