• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2015 |OT| Spider-Man pulls the 7 train all the way to 34th street from Queens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, what the hell? I'll drop my name in here. I'll be going all four days. Because I am a crazy fool. Should be fun. Hopefully I will try and get more pictures this year.

JTripper

Just saw this article about the NYCC Exclusive Funko collectibles that'll be at the con. I don't collect them but there are a few cool items and I know people go nuts for these types of things.

I dig the Deadpool and Jack Skellington ones.

Also, I have a question for anyone who has cosplay experience since I'm going to cosplay for the first time at this NYCC. How do you deal with carrying stuff while you're cosplaying? I want to carry a bag, as I've done in the past for snacks, water, and stuff that I buy, but I feel like carrying a bag everywhere while cosplaying would ruin the costume and become an inconvenience if people ask for pictures and stuff.

KaoticBlaze

I have two Sunday passes for sale. I bought them back when they first went on sale a few months ago for my girlfriend and I, but unfortunately we've broken up since then. So if anyone wants to go with a stranger (me lol) or just wants to buy both passes from me then just PM me :)

Jhoan

Just saw this article about the NYCC Exclusive Funko collectibles that'll be at the con. I don't collect them but there are a few cool items and I know people go nuts for these types of things.

I dig the Deadpool and Jack Skellington ones.

Also, I have a question for anyone who has cosplay experience since I'm going to cosplay for the first time at this NYCC. How do you deal with carrying stuff while you're cosplaying? I want to carry a bag, as I've done in the past for snacks, water, and stuff that I buy, but I feel like carrying a bag everywhere while cosplaying would ruin the costume and become an inconvenience if people ask for pictures and stuff.

Everything was Funko Pop toys. Bet those things are gonna sell out instantly on Thursday and the line will be huge. I have friends who love collecting them as well but don't understand the appeal for them.

As for your cosplay question, I'm sure there's a few cosplaying GAF members going and out there who have some advice. I think you should follow your gut and carry a bag full stuff because being hydrated and having snacks handy vital to your well being (in addition having hand sanitizer). If you're going with a friend or two, they can always assist you with the pics.

And folks are totally welcome to sell their passes to other GAF members.That beats going to other second hand markets. However as with any private transaction on GAF please follow the disclaimer as posted in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread:

nrvalleytime said:
DISCLAIMER: the NeoGAF administration has no authority over any transactions facilitated by this thread and cannot be held responsible for whatever results from buying, selling, or trading goods or services within the thread. We advise caution and common sense.

On another note, the Photo Op is schedule up and the NYCC app is available to download.

Lastly if anyone is going to the Villains event today at Sleep No More, a quick reminder that I'll be there wearing last year's neon blue NYCC Crew shirt. Will be taking pictures ahoy. I'll be sporting a beard, long curly hair, and thick black framed glasses similar to my self-portrait in the avatar in addition to black messenger bag.

Lastly if anyone is going to the Villains event today at Sleep No More, a quick reminder that I'll be there wearing last year's neon blue NYCC Crew shirt. Will be taking pictures ahoy. I'll be sporting a beard, long curly hair, and thick black framed glasses similar to my self-portrait in the avatar in addition to black messenger bag.

Why would someone want a picture with you?

Jhoan

Why would someone want a picture with you?
37832161.jpg

I meant that I'll be taking pictures of the event/the cosplay in general, not explicitly with me.

Penguin

Are we doing anything GAF-related?

Probably best to try to nail down details before the show... since I just given up on ever connecting to a decent connection

Jhoan

How was the Villains Party?
It was underwhelming compared to last year's Villains event. There were less people than last but I guess it was because it was because it wasn't heavily advertised this time around. Took pics but haven't uploaded them yet. Amy Reeder was one of the judges for the drawing contest.

A girl cosplaying as Lord Zed from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers won the cosplay contest. There were something like less than 20 cosplayers at this event. One of a pair of twins cosplaying as twin characters from Batman Beyond won a 3 Day pass in a raffle by sheer coincidence.
Are we doing anything GAF-related?

Probably best to try to nail down details before the show... since I just given up on ever connecting to a decent connection
I dunno, you guys tell me. Can do something pre-NYCC but as for during the event itself, I haven't really sat down to think about plans since I'm still waiting for my schedule/area placement. Maybe something on Thursday.

On another note, if anyone is dying to go NYCC but doesn't want to pay ridiculous money for tickets, I found a post to be a Brand Ambassador for an Exhibitor for the weekend. Since it was just uploaded today, I'm gonna leave it as a quote-to-reveal so lurkers don't bombard the hell out of it (sorry lurkers):

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Exclusives news few and far between... outside of a bajillion Funko products.

Dark Horse just announced what they have: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2147/dark-horse-announces-new-york-comic-con-2015-exclu

Basically, cover variants, and a slight retread of what they had at SDCC.

Ill be thre on sunday, my first comic con, any advice?

Since it's your first time and you're only going one day, just enjoy yourself and don't stress out on making any panels. Walk the main floor, check out Artist Alley, take pics. If there's a panel you want to check out, make sure to get in line ahead of time.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ill be thre on sunday, my first comic con, any advice?

Bring hand sanitizer. Sunday is kids day so it's more crowded than usual. Don't get into a fight with a child, they're our future.

...unless a parent is exploiting the fact they have a child to cut a line. Then deck the parent and teach the child to hate their parent.

Jhoan

Got my schedule. I'll be working at the Autographing area yet again as expect but definitely will be down there during the morning to pick up work or will be at Artist Alley. On Friday it's quite possible that I'll be doing a Speed Dating session in the morning before my shift. Open to meeting up in the morning.

Picking up my badge next Wednesday and will be doing a run around of the Javits Center before the flood gates open. It will be fun times ahead. I am so ready to do this.

The Street Fighter V
panel would a ton of fun to watch. It seems like all the good panels are in the afternoon or in the evening. The All That panel sounds pretty great too; gotta wonder how some of the actors have aged.

stupei

Anyone with more experience going to cons that can give a rough estimate of how early to show up to try to gain access for the Warner Bros panel on Sunday? My friend and I are huge Person of Interest fans and she's driving four hours into the city Saturday evening in the hopes of making that panel. (Obviously we'll still have fun if we can't, but I'd still like to show up early enough to have a realistic shot at it.)

fallengorn

Anyone with more experience going to cons that can give a rough estimate of how early to show up to try to gain access for the Warner Bros panel on Sunday? My friend and I are huge Person of Interest fans and she's driving four hours into the city Saturday evening in the hopes of making that panel. (Obviously we'll still have fun if we can't, but I'd still like to show up early enough to have a realistic shot at it.)

Eh, the WB panel is kinda weird in that they just blocked out the entire afternoon without any details about when specific shows will be presenting, so it's impossible to know when that show is up.

I'm sure people are going to be streaming in and out through the entire block, but if you definitely want a seat, maybe check to see how the situation is at around 12:30 and see if you want to line-up and squat your seats for however long it takes until Person of Interest comes up.

Jhoan

Since it starts at 1:30PM, I would say to show up to queue up at 11AM if not a bit earlier (10:30AM) since that panel is gonna couple of hours long. If you get told that the line is not queuing up yet, then you're probably gonna get told to hang around the area or walk around. If that's the one thing you guys want to see, then it's then it's in your probably in your best interests to get there early. The folks in the area will give you a rough estimate as to when to come back to line up.

EDIT: Full line up of the shows in the Warner Bros block on Sunday can be seen in this link: http://www.givememyremote.com/remot...person-of-interest-supergirl-gotham-and-more/

^^^Wrist bands are for Main Stage panels only not for Empire Stage and yeah, it's back this year.

MG310

The wristbands seemed like a way better alternative than a big group of people sitting in the same spot all day.

The line for Marvel TV wristbands is probably going to fill up faster this year since it's not back to back with Walking Dead. I could be severely underestimating the drawing power of X-Files and Non Fast & Furious Vin Diesel movies though.

Penguin

The wristbands seemed like a way better alternative than a big group of people sitting in the same spot all day.

The line for Marvel TV wristbands is probably going to fill up faster this year since it's not back to back with Walking Dead. I could be severely underestimating the drawing power of X-Files and Non Fast & Furious Vin Diesel movies though.

It's a double-edge sword

Since it favors the early birds even more, but it is nice knowing if you got in or not instead of wasting an entire day on a line.

We shall see how it goes

RoylAsult

anyone know if there is a floor map? Just so I have somewhat of an idea where to go.

This is my first year going...

Jhoan

@JTripper, never been to one so I can't say but they happen every month.

anyone know if there is a floor map? Just so I have somewhat of an idea where to go.

This is my first year going...
Yes, everything can be seen here including a list of exhibitors:
http://nycc15.mapyourshow.com/6_0/floorplans/index.cfm#mappage

Program books will also be given away at info booths that are peppered everywhere.

And a quick heads up that 1,500 Pepsi Perfect bottles will be available for sale on the show floor the whole weekend. Best grab one or two before they're gone. Guaranteed line? Guaranteed line.

shinobi602 said:
...while 1,500 of them will be distributed for the forthcoming New York Comic Con this week.

“Fans have always been a little crazy about it and so we wanted to take advantage of the fact that Marty travelled to the future, to this month, and wanted to actually come out with the product,” stated the Lou Arbetter, PepsiCo’s senior director of marketing, proving just how big of an impact the Robert Zemeckis-directed films had on its legion of fans.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120496

One last thing I'll post is the Adult Swim parties happening on the weekend. It's free but it's first come first serve. Details in the link: http://www.adultswim.com/presents/new-york-comic-con-2015/

JTripper

And a quick heads up that 1,500 Pepsi Perfect bottles will be available for sale on the show floor the whole weekend. Best grab one or two before they're gone. Guaranteed line? Guaranteed line.

Isn't there going to be a truck outside with Nuka-Cola and some other nerd-culture themed consumable?

sasari

On my way over from the UK and I have will call tickets to collect, can anyone give me some advice? I see on NYCC social media you have to activate your passes to get in but I have no mobile data over there, will they have facilities for me to activate it when I collect? Really don't want this to be a major delay to my first day

Penguin

On my way over from the UK and I have will call tickets to collect, can anyone give me some advice? I see on NYCC social media you have to activate your passes to get in but I have no mobile data over there, will they have facilities for me to activate it when I collect? Really don't want this to be a major delay to my first day

You can activate on site, it's just to speed up the process for when you're here.

And since you're picking up the pass, will probably be activated then

Jhoan

Tomorrow I will go into the Javits Center to pick up my work badge for the 5th year in the row. I am so stoked! Can't wait to see this year's shirt. 2 days left to go! I'm already feeling goosebumps from the energy and the amount of people descending to the Javits Center.So much stuff left to do, so little time!

Sitrep on the GAF meet up during the weekend is looking murky considering that I'm sans a phone until I get a new one and reconnect it so won't be able to check GAF/Twitter the whole weekend until I get home/Wi-Fi. If anyone wants to organize a GAF meet up, the door is wide open so consider me out of the organizing helm.

I will be making heavy updates to the OP tomorrow night so if you guys have anything you want to point out, then go for it. I'll post these very useful graphics that NYCC has been posting on their social media:

nAFmJUf.png

Jhoan

Seems like our good friends, LexCorp will be offering free Wi-Fi

CQqAo_RU8AAkAJV.jpg

Yes! That can work for my current phone situation since I can use a Wi-Fi based texting app to contact people and make updates. Downside is that it's probably gonna be overloaded to oblivion.

Penguin

Yes! That can work for my current phone situation since I can use a Wi-Fi based texting app to contact people and make updates. Downside is that it's probably gonna be overloaded to oblivion.

I just wanna know how much it works and how much of it is actual viral marketing

so if you can test when you go pick up your badge today...
;)

fallengorn

It's a big thing at PAX. I guess they rubbed off onto NYCC.

It's pretty much rubbed off everywhere. Pins have been a thing with Mondo for awhile now.... which means a lot of pop-art print galleries and shops are doing pins.

More exclusives if you're into prints and posters:
http://firewireblog.com/2015/10/05/...nces-3-marvel-posters-available-at-2015-nycc/

http://www.bottleneckgallery.com/blogs/news

http://www.spoke-art.com/2015/10/06/join-us-at-nycc-2015/

Edit: Was looking at what I'm going to do for lunch today and saw that Phil's Steaks will be at the Javits for all of NYCC.

stupei

Anyone know yet how the Hammerstein panels are going to work? Are they going to do wristbands for those too or are they just a line?

And yeah, I'm really excited to see the prints Bottleneck are going to have.

fallengorn

Anyone know yet how the Hammerstein panels are going to work? Are they going to do wristbands for those too or are they just a line?

And yeah, I'm really excited to see the prints Bottleneck are going to have.

I think it's just going to be a line out the door. Only wristbands given out are for the Main Stage, as far as I know.

Salaadin

I have a question for the New Yorkers here. Are there any good brewpubs within walking distance of the Javits? Or any place I can grab a mixasix and try some of the local craft beer?

I usually leave the convention around 5 on Fridays but stay on the Jersey side and the drive through that part of Jersey at that time is downright horrible so I figure I might as well burn some time by getting beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom