• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2015 |OT| Spider-Man pulls the 7 train all the way to 34th street from Queens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Progressive lockers are a great idea in an incredibly bad location.

Agree. Any reason they don't use the upper floor of the convention center? There is plenty of space up there for stuff like that as well as the streaming show stages. The show floor is slowly just becoming a parking lot with how poorly laid out the big company booths/lines are. Just seems like things are getting a bit tight on the single level show floor.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Day 2 pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskmmfLjf

Agree. Any reason they don't use the upper floor of the convention center? There is plenty of space up there for stuff like that as well as the streaming show stages. The show floor is slowly just becoming a parking lot with how poorly laid out the big company booths/lines are. Just seems like things are getting a bit tight on the single level show floor.

You mean the the space for press and VIP lounge?

Jhoan

EDIT: Basically what Fallengorn said. Gotta keep the Press and VIP ticket buyers housed somewhere or else Press wouldn't be able cover the event and VIP passes would be rendered useless.

Yeah, I heard about the corridor to Artist Alley being a hell of mess what with Jelly Belly and those Progressive lockers there. I never stepped foot in there during active hours except towards the end when Artist Alley was about to close.

Saw Fallengorn on the Lex Corp line and it was long. Had peeps making them follow Lex Luthor instead of playing a game unlike Thursday. Went for a swag run touring the aforementioned show floor with a friend for 2.5 hours. We racked up quite a hefty sum of stuff including gum, a Geico Gecko doll, swag bags, stickers, poster tubes, and all kind of other doodads. Will be going back for second rounds and getting there early in the morning to purchase a few exclusive things.

But yeah, the show floor is pretty damn congested and it doesn't help that all the big booths are by the entrances which clogs up foot traffic e.g. the Capcom booth being clogged before the show floor's closing with watchers. Don't get me wrong, Street Fighter V looks amazing in person. A friend bought a $200 Mega Man statue.

I heard crazy things about Nathan Fillion's appearance nearly being canned due to his handler wanting to open the line when it was capped in the morning. I think due to Jason David Frank not appearing at NYCC, things have been rather tame during the afternoon this year. Kevin Conroy had a long line to the very end though. Friday has been a very good preview for what's to come on Saturday which is going to be much worse than ever before.

fallengorn

I'm always interested by the idea of comic con but I think I would absolutely hate it if I were there.
They basically involve two things I hate, lining up for long periods and crowds but it's still enjoyable. I'd go just for a day (or even a morning) just to check it out.

Salaadin

They fucked up the Jessica Jones panel. Gave bands to the over flow line first and now all of us here since 8am are screwed. Seriously irritated right now.

fallengorn

They fucked up the Jessica Jones panel. Gave bands to the over flow line first and now all of us here since 8am are screwed. Seriously irritated right now.
Holy shit, that fucking sucks. Hope someone will bring that during their wrap-up panel.

Maybe it's me, but I feel they're a bit less coordinated this year.

Salaadin

I heard they did the same on the first day as well, and screwed the vips.

Holy shit, that fucking sucks. Hope someone will bring that during their wrap-up panel.

Maybe it's me, but I feel they're a bit less coordinated this year.
They just booted us all from the line. No apology, no explanation...Just a "we're out, move along". 3 hours in line wasted.

Seriously puts a damper on this whole weekend considering this panel is one of the main reasons I'm here.

I hope they actually read those post show surveys they send out.

fallengorn

There's a panel on Sunday you can give direct feedback. If you're around, I'd do that. Something like that is really screwed up.

Enk

makes good threads.
Please tell me someone here attended the Ash vs Evil Dead panel they had today. Apparently they showed off the first episode.

Salaadin

There's a panel on Sunday you can give direct feedback. If you're around, I'd do that. Something like that is really screwed up.
I'd like to but I won't be around. Hopefully someone else does.

I ended up leaving earlier than usual today to try The Pony Bar but they're packed. Ended up at Kiabacca next door, which seems like a nice place.
Brooklyn Defender is a good beer.

BlazinAm

Looks like they're trying to fix the North corridor problem. Exit to AA goes outside.

Yeah that is kinda smart but also maybe don't have vendors in that corridor period. More offsite panels and events are needed in order for Comic Con to grow. There are too many people who come to New York and the timing is right for a convention.... but I felt that this year the panel listing were not as exciting as last year. Maybe not having a Walking Dead TV panel and instead having the MSG event (which I didn't go too) left a hole in the panel schedule.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Have to admit I skipped last year because the con felt like a big flea market. Felt the same way today after walking around for an hour but luckily stumbled into the McFarlane booth where Todd was giving a lesson on basic drawing. Amazingly, I got to answer a trivia question and won some of the crap he was sketching. :)

How so?
For one, I feel that security doesn't know how to lines in anyway for the smaller panel rooms.

I am crew this year, I had to work with another crew member today for like an hour or so managing the panel lines.

I forgot his name but he would made loud and weird comments to any cosplayer who walked by. I did pay him any mind since it was not my job to manage him, but when this little mac cosplayer walked by he shouted down the hall "bitch stole my bike". I had to tell him he need to cut it out with the profanity cause we have children in the line and it was a pretty demeaning word to use. I also didn't want to get pinned with any blame since we were both Asian. His response was "Bitch is a profanity?"

MG310

They just booted us all from the line. No apology, no explanation...Just a "we're out, move along". 3 hours in line wasted.

Seriously puts a damper on this whole weekend considering this panel is one of the main reasons I'm here.

The yellow shirted security guys apologized to us at least even though I don't think they had anything to do with it.

I had a great day though, got into lots of panels - the DC Core one, stayed for the Robert Kirkman one then camped out in 1A10 for Collegehumor's crowdsourced drawing thing, All That Reunion and Street Fighter V before going to the St. Jude's auction.

Tomorrow's just going to be Artist Alley pickups and hopefully getting to play Dark Souls 3 for a bit before heading out.

JTripper

Had a great time on Friday and Saturday. I was planning on waking up way early to get a Netflix panel wristband but was way too tired so I overslept and showed up to the con later. Kinda sucks hearing what happened with the two lines involved. Don't think I'll be going back tomorrow since I'm pretty wiped and there's nothing too exciting going on event or panel-wise.

In other news, I think my first cosplay was a success and got a ton of great compliments. I went as Matt Murdock on both Friday and Saturday and definitely would do it again. I honestly thought I'd see more Matt Murdocks there than I did, however I saw a bunch of black-suit Daredevils from the show. It was fun bumping in to all of them. Also, this was one of my favorite photos taken this weekend:

KPd2090.jpg

Hero

Today the sheer incompetence of the staff at the queue hall pissed me off. Before we knew what happened with the badges given to the overflow like first, I spent more than an hour in line and lined up immediately as they let us in and I knew there was no way they ran out. Not only did they fuck that up but nobody on staff went up/down the MASSIVE line still there to communicate what had happened and/or that they were out of wristbands. Some really con attendees had to do that for them. I know staff is mostly volunteers but talk about incompetence, laziness and apathy, that's what I got from the staff in the queue hall.

Thankfully afterwards I got up to the staff room and politely expressed my unhappiness and a few hours later the manager got us wristbands so it worked out in the end.

E the Shaggy

I know staff is mostly volunteers but talk about incompetence, laziness and apathy, that's what I got from the staff in the queue hall.

Cons should have to straight up pay people to fill the roles of volunteers. I don't see how it isn't illegal to pull this shit.

NimbusD

Holy shit that sounds horrible. This is my first comiccon so I didnt understand how the main stage queues worked so I thought it'd be a line like everything else so obviously didn't get in. However that makes me insanely glad I didn't know about it and waste all that time.

No one on the overflow line decided to be a good person and tell the staff they were making a mistake? Heck actually the way they seem to run it, they probably didn't know what was going on either.

Please tell me someone here attended the Ash vs Evil Dead panel they had today. Apparently they showed off the first episode.

Yes they showed it! Holy shit it was so good. Definitely a show you want to watch with other people, being in a giant theater was the best experience.

fallengorn

Nice pics.
Thanks!

Speaking of which, Day 3: https://flic.kr/s/aHskmowKwF

In other news, I think my first cosplay was a success and got a ton of great compliments. I went as Matt Murdock on both Friday and Saturday and definitely would do it again. I honestly thought I'd see more Matt Murdocks there than I did, however I saw a bunch of black-suit Daredevils from the show. It was fun bumping in to all of them. Also, this was one of my favorite photos taken this weekend:

http://i.imgur.com/KPd2090.jpg
I think I saw you a few times... but they might be other Murdocks. I saw a bunch of them.

Jhoan

I feel like these next series of posts might jeopardize my identity in case it ever appears somewhere but here goes.

Who's they? Staff, Crew, security or all of them? I've been hearing things about how Queue hall was badly managed from a few friends. Crew follows orders from Staff which is why it might have gone wrong and maybe it was a miscommunication issue from the chain of command that booted you folks that were there since the morning since it does tend to happen. All three work in synergy so if Staff plans to do something, they notify security as a heads up to okay it which then translates to Crew. In some areas such as Autographing, celebrities' handlers play a vital role in the chain of command.
I am crew this year, I had to work with another crew member today for like an hour or so managing the panel lines.

I forgot his name but he would made loud and weird comments to any cosplayer who walked by. I did pay him any mind since it was not my job to manage him, but when this little mac cosplayer walked by he shouted down the hall "bitch stole my bike". I had to tell him he need to cut it out with the profanity cause we have children in the line and it was a pretty demeaning word to use. I also didn't want to get pinned with any blame since we were both Asian. His response was "Bitch is a profanity?"
Hmm...I wonder who it was and if I know him. You don't have to out him on a public forum since and just tell a Staff member instead so they can make a note of it. I don't think it's that serious but I will admit that some of the Crew I've worked with are a bit oblivious to social cues/contexts.
The yellow shirted security guys apologized to us at least even though I don't think they had anything to do with it.

I had a great day though, got into lots of panels - the DC Core one, stayed for the Robert Kirkman one then camped out in 1A10 for Collegehumor's crowdsourced drawing thing, All That Reunion and Street Fighter V before going to the St. Jude's auction.

Tomorrow's just going to be Artist Alley pickups and hopefully getting to play Dark Souls 3 for a bit before heading out.
Security is definitely sympathetic despite their tough demeanor.

Hero said:
Today the sheer incompetence of the staff at the queue hall pissed me off. Before we knew what happened with the badges given to the overflow like first, I spent more than an hour in line and lined up immediately as they let us in and I knew there was no way they ran out. Not only did they fuck that up but nobody on staff went up/down the MASSIVE line still there to communicate what had happened and/or that they were out of wristbands. Some really con attendees had to do that for them. I know staff is mostly volunteers but talk about incompetence, laziness and apathy, that's what I got from the staff in the queue hall.

Thankfully afterwards I got up to the staff room and politely expressed my unhappiness and a few hours later the manager got us wristbands so it worked out in the end.

E the Shaggy said:
Cons should have to straight up pay people to fill the roles of volunteers. I don't see how it isn't illegal to pull this shit.
To the both of you, for the record: Crew is not Volunteer contrary to the popular belief. We're paid to work the event as it started in 2011. The years before that was volunteer even though in 2011, the badge still said volunteer. ReedPOP is a for profit organization hence Crew; Comic Con International is a non-profit organization hence volunteers who get compensated some other ways. Not that it matters since while I can't speak for all Crew, personally, I'm not driven by the fact that we get paid with because it's about the experience for me personally and the friends that I have made through working this event. Getting paid is just a nice thank you/bonus. In fact, many of us keep coming back to do it as a labor of love.

That being said, I did hear about how badly managed Queue hall was this year so I'm sorry to hear you guys had a bad experience. To be fair, attendees need to understand that we're all human and we make mistakes in the end of the day. Please note that I'm not an employee of ReedPOP and I am not speaking for the company since that's its own separate thing from Crew. Crew is the customer service, Staff is the overseers/organizers, security is the muscle which is what gels a ReedPOP convention.

Hero

Thanks for the info Jipan, puts things in perspective at least.

Honestly a mistake is understandable (giving wristbands out to reserve/overfill first) but then you add on to the fact that no representative from ReedPOP bothered to convey that to the whole line or at the very least say they were out of wristbands AND that well over 100 people were standing around in lane 4 like mindless sheep and again nobody from crew or security thought hey, these people are just standing here and no one is moving maybe I should find out what's going on is a string of circumstances that I think is extremely unacceptable from a professional standpoint and as a customer one. If it were not for staff calling me up later to get my friends and me a wristband I would've definitely been upset that I wasted 90 minutes for no reason at all.

I have been going to various conventions for several years now and have been through some shit but today took the cake. I didn't mention the fact that the security person I did talk to didn't feel like being helpful and just said to go find a manager on my own made the whole day start off on the wrong foot. Not sure what your involvement with the convention is but there definitely needs to be process improvement for next year.

Jhoan

Thanks for the info Jipan, puts things in perspective at least.

Honestly a mistake is understandable (giving wristbands out to reserve/overfill first) but then you add on to the fact that no representative from ReedPOP bothered to convey that to the whole line or at the very least say they were out of wristbands AND that well over 100 people were standing around in lane 4 like mindless sheep and again nobody from crew or security thought hey, these people are just standing here and no one is moving maybe I should find out what's going on is a string of circumstances that I think is extremely unacceptable from a professional standpoint and as a customer one. If it were not for staff calling me up later to get my friends and me a wristband I would've definitely been upset that I wasted 90 minutes for no reason at all.

I have been going to various conventions for several years now and have been through some shit but today took the cake. I didn't mention the fact that the security person I did talk to didn't feel like being helpful and just said to go find a manager on my own made the whole day start off on the wrong foot. Not sure what your involvement with the convention is but there definitely needs to be process improvement for next year.

I'm just Crew man: I simply follow orders from my managers (folks in leis) Staff and security.We try and make the show run as smooth as possible. Once that shirt is off, I'm like the rest of you: an attendee who's just as eager to grab swag, take pictures of cosplayers, and geek out over someone who I admire/respect. It's that easy and in the five years or so of having worked/volunteer at so many events, I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly with the better shows (PAX East) running incredibly smooth due to a sense of camaraderie between crew/volunteers/Enforcers and security not being such a visible presence and the worse moments where a chain of command went wrong that it gets someone angry. From an attendee's point of view, you have every right to be mad if your experience didn't going well.

I would get into more specifics and love to talk inside baseball: con edition but long story short quote to reveal:

Salaadin

Who's they? Staff, Crew, security or all of them? I've been hearing things about how Queue hall was badly managed from a few friends. Crew follows orders from Staff which is why it might have gone wrong and maybe it was a miscommunication issue from the chain of command that booted you folks that were there since the morning since it does tend to happen. All three work in synergy so if Staff plans to do something, they notify security as a heads up to okay it which then translates to Crew. In some areas such as Autographing, celebrities' handlers play a vital role in the chain of command.

It was a security guy. Told us that the people who messed up left it for security to handle. Said to come back at 3 or 4 to see if they had any more bands and that he needed us to clear the area as they needed the space.

I came back at 4 and was told there was little to no chance that I'd get in.

That being said, I did hear about how badly managed Queue hall was this year so I'm sorry to hear you guys had a bad experience. To be fair, attendees need to understand that we're all human and we make mistakes in the end of the day. Please note that I'm not an employee of ReedPOP and I am not speaking for the company since that's its own separate thing from Crew. Crew is the customer service, Staff is the overseers/organizers, security is the muscle which is what gels a ReedPOP convention.
Ehh, you don't need to apologize.

And I do understand that mistakes happen but it's still so frustrating when you follow every step you need to in order to get a spot in the panel line and then you don't get in because they gave bands to the wrong people.
And then, as Hero said, nobody wanted to do anything about it. We just stood there.

This is probably a bit over dramatic but every year I go to this thing and am left feeling sad when it's over. This year, I just feel frustrated. Perhaps it's my own fault for letting too much of my enjoyment be tied into panels but...I don't know. We'll see.

BlazinAm

Had a great time on Friday and Saturday. I was planning on waking up way early to get a Netflix panel wristband but was way too tired so I overslept and showed up to the con later. Kinda sucks hearing what happened with the two lines involved. Don't think I'll be going back tomorrow since I'm pretty wiped and there's nothing too exciting going on event or panel-wise.

KPd2090.jpg

I walked past you a couple times.

Jhoan

We gonna do a neogaf meet up?
That's up in the air at this point so gonna pass on that. My plan today is to rack up more swag, get a few more exclusives/last minute sales and get pics with Crew peeps left and right so I dunno if that's gonna be possible. Have to work at 1.

I keep running into Fallengorn at the LexCorp table, saw DevilTrigger, TheBaroness and DTJAAAAM though.

Zombine

Banned
Honestly, the hall to artist ally was a fire hazard and it would have been shut down immediately if this was anywhere else in the states. Incredibly unsafe, and they need to remove all of that garbage from that hallway. They should have placed the progressive lockers near the food court downstairs, and the fuck does Jelly Belly need to be in a location like that? Throw them outside or somewhere on the show floor.

Maury tickets? Nobody gives a shit.

Really kind of pissed about that because artists couldn't make it back to their booths in artist alley because of the bottleneck.

Other than that, I had a great time at the con. This is only my second year, but I was much smarter this time around and did 3 days. I got to take in a lot, watch some awesome panels (Seriously, the Lucifer show on Fox was DOPE.) and I got a ton of art and merch. Really good year, just hope they fix a lot of the bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom