• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2015 |OT| Spider-Man pulls the 7 train all the way to 34th street from Queens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's for the better that an account system is implemented ala Ticket Master. However, I'm still skeptical about it working out since word of mouth spreads like wild fire; my friend's coworkers were talking to him about it. So my understanding is that if you buy a ticket for friend A, friend A has to have an account? Interesting.

If anything, since VIP passes have been nixed I think the value of 3 Day passes is going to skyrocket in the secondary market. I don't see how this is going to circumvent the secondary market since there's going to a massive server overload either way.

Also, for those of you bummed out about Special Edition NYC not returning this year, it was reported that ReedPop is focusing their time/resources on NYCC this year so it's on a temporary hiatus. I will miss it this year too since I care about the Artist Alley stuff more than anything else in addition to having the perk to buy passes before the Midtown Comics rush.

What secondary market? If this works as intended, after your transaction is complete, you can't transfer ownership to someone else.

People as still going to be tricked, for example:

- Someone buys a ticket on a secondary market.
- They get to the RFID check, it says the ticket belongs to John Smith. That person is not John Smith. Can't go in

BiggNife

I was talking Special Edition..sorry missed the quote button. They used Pier 94 last year. I really hope it comes back next year.

Oh, my bad. I dunno, I thought the show floor last year was totally fine. Didn't go to the panels, though.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Good luck you guys.

Professional badge application was more stringent this year as well. They just seem to be clamping down on everyone.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Professional badge application was more stringent this year as well. They just seem to be clamping down on everyone.

Yeah - my brother last year or so released a Spider-Man NYCC exclusive variant and was denied a Pro Pass. This year he gets approved but I get denied for the first time ever. They've definitely changed something in that process.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Eh, not a fan of having to use my phone number in order to even register. Might just pass from the whole thing this year.

Penguin

And the "verification" seems like a clever way to get marketing info

What do you like to see
What are you going there most for
What is your age

commish

What do you like to see
What is your age

Yeah, and now it's all tied to my phone number/device ID. Meh. I see how my own company uses this type of information, and I just want to say, no thanks.

Did my part.

Wait wrong thread.

Kidding. Kidding.

There's like a weird confidence in it asking how many tickets you plan to get or whatever but it'll all be a shitshow once people get the link.

Shanlei91

What do you like to see
What is your age

As soon as a phone number is used, all information is generally for marketing purposes / to make money off of us. It's the perfect universal unique user ID.

commish

So I decided to skip the NYCC this year. Didn't feel like jumping through their registration hoops, to be honest. I don't want to give them my phone number and have them text me just to buy tickets. Deadline was yesterday. Got an email today saying "Hey, registration is re-opened for 24 more hours!!" I'm guessing they got less registrations than anticipated.

So I decided to skip the NYCC this year. Didn't feel like jumping through their registration hoops, to be honest. I don't want to give them my phone number and have them text me just to buy tickets. Deadline was yesterday. Got an email today saying "Hey, registration is re-opened for 24 more hours!!" I'm guessing they got less registrations than anticipated.

Just looking around online and talking to some of my co-workers they didn't know about the pre-registration req. this year. The comments are still where do I buy the tickets etc.

commish

Just looking around online and talking to some of my co-workers they didn't know about the pre-registration req. this year. The comments are still where do I buy the tickets etc.

I think it's going to be a disaster for them, but I hope not. Their heart was in the right place at the end of the day. Scalpers ruin everything!

Zombine

Banned
What do you mean? What happens if you fail?

My assumption is that he pre-booked. That's yolo mode for sure.

This year is going to be a shit show but I think we're all going to get 3 day passes at least.

Oh yeah, for the love of god ReedPop don't sell floor space in the artist alley hallway this year you goons. If I had athority down state I would shut the show down for multiple fire and safety hazards in that hallway. 2015 was a nightmare in regards to that.

Edit: I just realized I quoted you directing a question toward my friend lol. That's his exact dilemma.

Messi

What do you mean? What happens if you fail?

I live in Ireland, Flights and Accom before tickets have cost me 2.5k. I am staying for 9 Days and I am sure I could see the city instead but it would kill me to know Stjepan Sejic was at that show and I couldn't get in :(

Hero

I live in Ireland, Flights and Accom before tickets have cost me 2.5k. I am staying for 9 Days and I am sure I could see the city instead but it would kill me to know Stjepan Sejic was at that show and I couldn't get in :(

I seriously hope you get tickets!

Zombine

Banned

What if I charged you a premium for something by Sejic while you visit the M&M store?

Jhoan

So at the last minute, I was accepted to work again for my sixth year. I'm stunned but ecstatic. I think I'm going to pass on making this year's thread for reasons concerning posting on GAF with my real name now but leave the door open for anyone else who's attending. It's been a great pleasure making the last couple of threads. If I decide to my mind, I'll let you guys know.

I didn't even bother registering for tickets this year. Good luck to everyone buying them.

ironmang

How do we see what username we used for fan verification? Or is it just our email? All the emails address me as "New York Comic Con Fan" so I'm very confused lol.

fallengorn

How do we see what username we used for fan verification? Or is it just our email? All the emails address me as "New York Comic Con Fan" so I'm very confused lol.

Piggybacking on that, were fan verification accounts just based on email?

Some friends of mine are currently traveling, so I'm going to try and get their tickets for them.

Fliesen

How big is NYCC compared to SDCC?

A friend of mine and myself are going to try to get tickets for NYCC and - if we do - we're going to be jet-setting the hell out of it (Austria -> NYC on thursday, flying back on Sunday) because my girlfriend's a teacher and she can't really take vacation days, maybe switch 'shifts' / 'classes' with a colleague of her for 1, max 2 days ...

SDCC was among the greatest experiences of my life, i loved the energy, the people, the fandom, the spectacle, the panels ... and i didn't even mind the crowds that much.

Tell me it's worth it, you guys.

Messi

A friend of mine and myself are going to try to get tickets for NYCC and - if we do - we're going to be jet-setting the hell out of it (Austria -> NYC on thursday, flying back on Sunday) because my girlfriend's a teacher and she can't really take vacation days, maybe switch 'shifts' / 'classes' with a colleague of her for 1, max 2 days ...

SDCC was among the greatest experiences of my life, i loved the energy, the people, the fandom, the spectacle, the panels ... and i didn't even mind the crowds that much.

Did you sign up for fan vertification?

fallengorn

If we're comparing square footage, SDCC is still the biggest. There's a lot of ancillary events that take place outside the Convention Center. But if we're to believe official numbers, NYCC has started to have more people.

Also this. If you're not registered you're not getting in.

Bummer I missed the cut off date , would have been nice to see

Is it still nameless passes? I could just buy one from a scalper if there's something I really want or see

Fliesen

you guys think i'm dumb? :p

If we're comparing square footage, SDCC is still the biggest. There's a lot of ancillary events that take place outside the Convention Center. But if we're to believe official numbers, NYCC has started to have more people.

yeah, the fact that south-west downtown san diego pretty much becomes geek city totally contributes to the experience. I suppose NYCC won't be as crazy.

fallengorn

Bummer I missed the cut off date , would have been nice to see

Is it still nameless passes? I could just buy one from a scalper if there's something I really want or see

I guess theoretically, you can still get a pass from a scalper. It's just going to have a fake name attached to it.

yeah, the fact that south-west downtown san diego pretty much becomes geek city totally contributes to the experience. I suppose NYCC won't be as crazy.

NYCC has started to do some off-site stuff. But there really isn't that much space around the Javits. So last year some of the bigger panels were moved to the Hammerstein Ballroom, a few blocks away.

They also started doing something called "Super Week" two years back, which is just nerdy/geeky shows and events around the city. Some of it overlapped the con like the Star Trek: TNG Reunion.

Shanlei91

In terms of attendees, I think NYCC has more people attending that have purchased tickets but SDCC probably has more uncounted attendees without badges taking part in the off-site activities.

SDCC is like a massive carnival with all of the outdoor activities. Rides, physical activities, nearly every establishment takes part. NYCC just can't compare. Now, in regards to the actual convention, they're on a similar level. The floors / planels will seem very similar except that SDCC has more films and NYCC focuses on TV. Outside of that, they're very similar and nearly every con I've been to is barren and sad in comparison.

ironmang

Are we able to change the tickets requested? On the showclix site it's showing me as requesting 4 day tickets which I can't change to 3 day tickets. I'm expecting it to be a shitshow come noon with all these changes and I'll buy whatever tickets they offer me but it'd be nice not to be locked to what I wanted a month ago. :p

Fliesen

Are we able to change the tickets requested? On the showclix site it's showing me as requesting 4 day tickets which I can't change to 3 day tickets. I'm expecting it to be a shitshow come noon with all these changes and I'll buy whatever tickets they offer me but it'd be nice not to be locked to what I wanted a month ago. :p

that was just a "survey", no impact on what tickets you're going to be able to purchase.

Pau

So my boyfriend and I are both trying to get tickets. Should we both put two 3-day tickets in our carts or only one of us try for both? Or each of us try for our own? Not sure how the fan verification works with this.

ironmang

So my boyfriend and I are both trying to get tickets. Should we both put two 3-day tickets in our carts or only one of us try for both? Or each of us try for our own? Not sure how the fan verification works with this.

From my experience in past con ticket sales whoever gets in should just buy both. There's no guarantee the second person will get a chance to buy any tickets. My group usually just has whoever gets in first calls everybody and buys tickets for whoever isn't in yet.

Pau

From my experience in past con ticket sales whoever gets in should just buy both. There's no guarantee the second person will get a chance to buy any tickets. My group usually just has whoever gets in first calls everybody and buys tickets for whoever isn't in yet.
Thanks! That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure the fan verification thing won't mean we're gonna get kicked off for trying to do it.

ironmang

Thanks! That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure the fan verification thing won't mean we're gonna get kicked off for trying to do it.

I could be wrong but I think you just buy the tickets then assign the usernames to them afterwards if you're buying for friends. I know when I went to SDCC a few years ago you had to input the usernames as you were buying the tickets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom