• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a Statboy for this thread.

This thread was a killer ride.

Now we have to outdo it with the season's thread. Last year's MLB thread was the biggest yet. Can we break our record?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
~in loving memory of cajolejuice~
2004-2009

eznark 646
Windu 587
pollo 575
Y2Kev 500
The Frankman 488
CajoleJuice 337
Zep 268
SanjuroTsubaki 261
Karakand 237
clemenx 220

adg1034

Y2Kev said:
2004-2009

eznark 646
Windu 587
pollo 575
Y2Kev 500
The Frankman 488
CajoleJuice 337
Zep 268
SanjuroTsubaki 261
Karakand 237
clemenx 220

Is he permed? Because that would be sad. I know I could just ask him on Twitter, but, you know... HAAAAAAANNNNNSS!

Big-E

captmcblack said:
How do you search your posts in a specific thread? How many posts do I have?

You got to click on the "replies" number on the front page of the OT. This will bring up a little window which ranks everyone from first to last.

Y2Kev

adg1034 said:
Is he permed? Because that would be sad. I know I could just ask him on Twitter, but, you know... HAAAAAAANNNNNSS!
surely riots on the scale of the rodney king riots would break out if he were permed. he'll be back, and he won't be asking for anyone's photos upon his return

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
captmcblack said:
How do you search your posts in a specific thread? How many posts do I have?
go to the OT Page, click on "Replies" for this thread. Then Ctrl F, "captmcblack"

and you have 201 posts.

adg1034

Y2Kev said:
surely riots on the scale of the rodney king riots would break out if he were permed. he'll be back, and he won't be asking for anyone's photos upon his return

Oh, that thread. God.

Sanjuro

Cajole received a three month ban for requesting a PM, he should be back I believe in another month. After Frankman's actions so far this season I believe Cajole will come out as the Met's #1 this year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Baseball America - 2009 Organization Talent Rankings

1. Texas Rangers
2. Florida Marlins
3. Oakland Athletics
4. Tampa Bay Rays
5. San Francisco Giants
6. Atlanta Braves
7. Cleveland Indians
8. St. Louis Cardinals
9. Baltimore Orioles
10. Milwaukee Brewers
11. Kansas City Royals
12. Philadelphia Phillies
13. Boston Red Sox
14. Cincinnati Reds
15. New York Yankees
16. Chicago White Sox
17. New York Mets
18. Pittsburgh Pirates
19. Toronto Blue Jays
20. Colorado Rockies
21. Washington Nationals
22. Minnesota Twins
23. Los Angeles Dodgers
24. Seattle Mariners
25. Los Angeles Angels
26. Arizona Diamonbacks
27. Chicago Cubs
28. Detroit Tigers
29. San Diego Padres
30. Houston Astros

jman2050

Damn I missed the top ten by fourteenthirteen posts. On another note, clemenx is the odds-on favorite to succeed sorryaboutdresdan in the MLB-GAF RPOTY race.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Cajole received a three month ban for requesting a PM, he should be back I believe in another month. After Frankman's actions so far this season I believe Cajole will come out as the Met's #1 this year.
I never claimed the be Mets #1 guy. I do my best work as a role player.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Windu said:
Baseball America - 2009 Organization Talent Rankings

1. Texas Rangers
2. Florida Marlins
3. Oakland Athletics
4. Tampa Bay Rays
5. San Francisco Giants
6. Atlanta Braves
7. Cleveland Indians
8. St. Louis Cardinals
9. Baltimore Orioles
10. Milwaukee Brewers
11. Kansas City Royals
12. Philadelphia Phillies
13. Boston Red Sox
14. Cincinnati Reds
15. New York Yankees
16. Chicago White Sox
17. New York Mets
18. Pittsburgh Pirates
19. Toronto Blue Jays
20. Colorado Rockies
21. Washington Nationals
22. Minnesota Twins
23. Los Angeles Dodgers
24. Seattle Mariners
25. Los Angeles Angels
26. Arizona Diamonbacks
27. Chicago Cubs
28. Detroit Tigers
29. San Diego Padres
30. Houston Astros

Nice to see the Astros spot. I wonder how many of the 5 guys we gave away for Tejada are going to pan out...

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
2004-2009

eznark 646
Windu 587
pollo 575
Y2Kev 500
The Frankman 488
CajoleJuice 337
Zep 268
SanjuroTsubaki 261
Karakand 237
clemenx 220

That is embarassing

Goddammit, I'm just out of the top 10!

I'll have to improve my posting frequency in the next thread.

Also, that list is crazy. The Yankees have a fuckton of talent in the minors. I know some teams are definitely dripping with elite prospects, like the Marlins, Giants, and Rays. But I didn't know that apparently half the majors is dripping with elite prospects as well.

pollo

Banned
Frank I have some beans on sale for you.

Theyre shipping from Western Belarus they may or may not be here on Saturday when you need them for dinner.

eznark

Banned
I only have like three more months of wheel spinning time at the office, so my numbers will undoubtedly fall come July.

When did MLBN go HD? My God it is glorious!

Y2Kev

jman2050 said:
Santana:CajoleJuice::Redding:Frankman
He's not a playa! He's just not a playa! If the mets want to win, they need to get themselves some playas. I mean PLAYAS playas. None of this playa playas.

well, after last and all my injuries (and no internet) I feel pretty confident that i'm gonna place top ten for sure. and we're gonna make the yankee council the most feared group of all again.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
well, after last and all my injuries (and no internet) I feel pretty confident that i'm gonna place top ten for sure. and we're gonna make the yankee council the most feared group of all again.
Too late.

pollo

Banned
NEW YORK -- Sitting in new Yankee Stadium on the first day fans came to the $1.5 billion ballpark, managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner admitted some tickets might be overpriced given the recession but insisted the team read the market correctly for most of them.

The Yankees set prices for premium Legends Suites seats 13 months ago and sold them for $500 to $2,500 as part of season tickets. According to the team's Web site, some of those seats remain available for individual games, when the prices go up to $2,625.

"I think if anybody in any business had known where this economy was going to go, they would have done things differently," Steinbrenner said Thursday. "Look, there's no doubt small amounts of our tickets might be overpriced.

"You know, we're continuing to look into that. But the bottom line is, the vast majority of them, it seems like they're right on because we've sold 35,000 full-season equivalents, and a lot of the tickets have, you know, sold quite well. And, well, despite what's out there all the time ... there's thousands of very affordable seating. And, you know, the public is excited, as excited as we are, I think."

Legends Suites seats include food and soft drinks in three exclusive restaurants, but not alcohol.

The ballpark was open for a workout Thursday, a day before the Yankees host the Chicago Cubs in an exhibition game.

The Team Marketing Report released its annual survey Thursday and said the average price of a Yankees home ticket was a major league-high $72.97, a 76.3 percent increase from last year's $41.40.

The Boston Red Sox, who had been first for 13 consecutive years, were next at $50.24 following a 0.3 percent rise. The Cubs were third at $47.75 after a 10 percent hike, followed by the New York Mets, who rose 8.6 percent to $36.99 for their first season at Citi Field.

The Arizona Diamondbacks had a major league-low average for the third consecutive year, at $14.31, with the Pittsburgh Pirates at $15.39, Atlanta Braves at $17.05 and AL champion Tampa Bay Rays at $18.35.

The major league average of $26.64 was up 5 percent from $25.37, less than half last year's 10.1 percent hike.

Among premium seats, the Yankees topped the majors at $510.08, followed by the Cubs ($239.43), Los Angeles Angels ($222.38), Washington Nationals ($192.89), Red Sox ($162.82) and Mets ($149.54). The Colorado Rockies were the major league low at $36.50, with the Milwaukee Brewers at $38.65.

TMR's fan cost index went up 3.2 percent to $196.89, ranging from $410.88 at Yankee Stadium and $326.45 at Fenway Park to $114.245 in Arizona. The figure includes two adult tickets at the average price, two child tickets at the average if available, two beers, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, parking, two programs and two adult caps.

Steinbrenner pointed out that Yankee Stadium also has inexpensive seats ranging to as little as $5 for partial-view bleachers.

"We understand that a lot of our fans are struggling. I mean, this is the worst recession in a most of our lifetimes," he said. "But at the same time I think baseball has always been an escape for people, you know? And I think what we're going to provide here is an unbelievable experience for thousands and thousands of our fans that, despite the troubles they're going through right now, maybe they'll be able to get away for two or three hours, get their minds off things. And we're going to make that experience, you know, tremendous."

In the Yankees' new oval clubhouse, left fielder Johnny Damon said the ticket prices reflected the team's popularity.

"It's tough. New York can withstand it," he said. "Coming to this plush building, I think it's definitely something that people want to see. I mean, those are great seats. It's going to be tough for a family to afford but, you know, but we'll let the people upstairs worry about that."

Message to Hal and Johnny D:

middle_finger.png

vas_a_morir said:
I was a top poster during last years MLB thread. But, off-season is generally pretty weak for Reds fans.

I had a decent run last year.. It will sadly never be like that again.. Or at least until I can post to GAF from work.

eznark said:
You going to the games next Wed/Th?

If only it were summer! I am in a busy "fuck me in the ass I hate my life" period right now, and I can't miss my lit class again.

However, I am leaving the country this year rather late in the season, so I should see a lot of games before I go. I actually will be living within walking distance of the Tokyo Dome, so I guess I have to be a fan of the Yomiuri Giants. I'm going to find some Japanese baseball forum and become the pollo of their forum.

pollo

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
If only it were summer! I am in a busy "fuck me in the ass I hate my life" period right now, and I can't miss my lit class again.

However, I am leaving the country this year rather late in the season, so I should see a lot of games before I go. I actually will be living within walking distance of the Tokyo Dome, so I guess I have to be a fan of the Yomiuri Giants. I'm going to find some Japanese baseball forum and become the pollo of their forum.

you want Japs to like you. this would be a very bad idea.

Windu said:
Andruw Jones makes Rangers as fifth outfielder.

are we still doing the thread title thing? Because even though this wasn't an official submission, admit it: "

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of Andruw Jones makes Rangers as fifth outfielder"

is pretty damn good.

also:

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of Shortening the Season to 125 Games So Chipper Jones Can Win MVP!

captmcblack said:
Goddammit, I'm just out of the top 10!

I'll have to improve my posting frequency in the next thread.

Also, that list is crazy. The Yankees have a fuckton of talent in the minors. I know some teams are definitely dripping with elite prospects, like the Marlins, Giants, and Rays. But I didn't know that apparently half the majors is dripping with elite prospects as well.

The yankees are not dripping with elite talent, I'm sorry.

pollo

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I like you!

oh, i know you do, but since we don't have any japanese representation here i figure frankman is the closest thing to Japan that we got and given my history with him i dont think youll do well posting on a frankman forum as a pollo archetype.

The yankees are not dripping with elite talent, I'm sorry.

Capt. how dare you offend the sensibilities of a Deepest Pitching Rotation EverTM member

Y2Kev

TeethMummy said:
There's a pretty good season preview with predictions at www.thesportsbraintrust.com. Seems like a lot of people are picking the Cubs.

do people never learn1?!?

pollo said:
oh, i know you do, but since we don't have any japanese representation here i figure frankman is the closest thing to Japan that we got and given my history with him i dont think youll do well posting on a frankman forum as a pollo archetype.

Capt. how dare you offend the sensibilities of a Deepest Pitching Rotation EverTM member

beckett will be having his 9th consecutive alternating bounce-back year!

:lol

Cito Gaston tore a strip off Roger Clemens earlier today, claiming he believed that the former Blue Jays pitching star probably played a role in his getting fired by the team at the end of the 1997 season.

The accusation is contained in a new book on Clemens by ESPN.com columnist Jeff Pearlman.

“I wouldn't doubt that,” Gaston said before today's Grapefruit League game against the Detroit Tigers. “He's an asshole himself, a complete asshole. I'd say that loud, right in his face. It's all about him, nobody else but him.”

:lol :lol Roger Clemens' Hall of Fame plaque should just read:

Roger Clemens.
Asshole. Complete Asshole.

pollo

Banned
eznark said:
I only have like three more months of wheel spinning time at the office, so my numbers will undoubtedly fall come July.

When did MLBN go HD? My God it is glorious!

:D apparently today. Gonna watch the As-Giants game in HD Glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom