• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
It's Done.

Gary Sheffield has agreed to sign with the New York Mets, SI.com has learned. An official announcement is expected this afternoon.

It is presumed that the Mets will be paying him the pro-rated portion of the $400,000 minimum. The Tigers are obligated to pick up the rest of Sheffield's $14 million salary.

Sheffield chose the Mets over the Phillies and Reds because he believes he'll get more playing time with the Mets -- although Mets people have said no promises have been made.

He's expected to be mainly a right-handed pinch hitter off the bench and occasionally spell Ryan Church in right field. Mets people also hope the added competition might spur Church, who struggled in the second half last year.

The New York Post first reported that the Mets were closing in on a deal with Sheffield earlier on Friday.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/03/mets.sheffield/index.html

Meh, can't hurt but i don't think it was needed.

LJ11

Sheffield chose the Mets over the Phillies and Reds because he believes he'll get more playing time with the Mets -- although Mets people have said no promises have been made.

:lol

Dear god, I can see the bitching already.

Gary Sheffield has agreed to sign with the New York Mets, SI.com has learned. An official announcement is expected this afternoon.

It is presumed that the Mets will pay him the pro-rated portion of the $400,000 minimum. The Tigers are obligated to pick up the rest of Sheffield's $14 million salary.

He's expected to be mainly a right-handed pinch hitter off the bench and to occasionally spell Ryan Church in right field. Mets people also hope the added competition might spur Church, who struggled in the second half last year.

The New York Post first reported that the Mets were closing in on a deal with Sheffield earlier on Friday.

Sheffield, who is former Mets great Dwight Gooden's nephew, brings power to the lineup, as noted by his 499 career homers. But he was released by the Tigers after hitting .178 this spring following his .225 average last season (and only 19 home runs in 431 at-bats).
vincedancejh3.gif

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
I would agree. The construction looks fairly solid. The stadium will be fine.

ba dum pish
Could be accidentily burnt to the ground in a epic insurance scam due to the failing economy. Rest of the games then played at the ******'s stadium.

LJ11

Sheffield in '07 said:
"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

:lol

Classic Sheff. I'm sure they're going to welcome him with open arms.

I like how all these experts keep picking the Brewers to place fourth in the central. (Rosenthal, Hart on MLB Tonight, among others).

The Brewers pitching staff and bullpen is being terribly underrated, and I'll be laughing when the Crew blows past the Cards and Astros.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
For a second I forgot that Omar's name was Omar and not Gerry and I thought he was talking about himself in the third person.

Interesting take Manuel said that Leyland told him on cutting SHeff. Had not much to do w/ attitude but he needed flexibility to rest Ordonez and didn't have it w/ Sheff on the roster.

Oh man even when talking to the the Mets GM Mike can't help taking shots :lol

I will say this... Mets added some much-needed anger and edge to this team. They lost it when Cliff Floyd left after 06. Never underestimate a mad black man.

Y2Kev

Church is toast.

The Frankman said:
Interesting take Manuel said that Leyland told him on cutting SHeff. Had not much to do w/ attitude but he needed flexibility to rest Ordonez and didn't have it w/ Sheff on the roster.

Bullshit. $14 million. Great job by Minaya to spin (and of course fattie didn't push) but 14 million and the GM has made a NUMBER of RETARDED moves recently. Dude is concerned for his job I'm sure.

Y2Kev said:
Church is toast.

Bullshit. $14 million. Great job by Minaya to spin (and of course fattie didn't push) but 14 million and the GM has made a NUMBER of RETARDED moves recently. Dude is concerned for his job I'm sure.
LEYLAND said it. According to Manuel. Where are you getting Minaya in this? :lol

Didn't help that Sheff is a headcase but he didn't hit last year, was hurt and was a headcase. If he hit and wasn't hurt so much last year even w/ the attitude I guarantee he's still in Detroit.

Church still has to have a fair shot though, right?

He was pretty good last year until he got hurt. I remember having arguments w/Frank about him playing above his head and then he proved me wrong until his brain was exploded by Yunel Escobar.

Y2Kev

The Frankman said:
LEYLAND said it. According to Manuel. Where are you getting Minaya in this? :lol

Didn't help that Sheff is a headcase but he didn't hit last year, was hurt and was a headcase. If he hit and wasn't hurt so much last year even w/ the attitude I guarantee he's still in Detroit.

Minaya said the same thing about Manuel in the Fatty interview. I know Leyland said it, but it has to be bullshit. You can't cut someone the manager likes with that much left on the contract. It doesn't make sense. I can't think of a precedent where that's happened.

captmcblack said:
Church still has to have a fair shot though, right?

He was pretty good last year until he got hurt. I remember having arguments w/Frank about him playing above his head and then he proved me wrong until his brain was exploded by Yunel Escobar.
Sorry, the minute Church slumps and Gary hits I vote platoon.

Righties

Reyes
Murphy
Wright
Delgado
Beltran
Church
Schneider
Castillo

Lefties
Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Sheffield
Tatis
Castro
Castillo

Suddenly that's awesome depth.

EDIT: Keith Hernandez on WFAN. :lol

LJ11

Church plays a solid right field, and with Murphy in LF you need defense in the other two spots, so Church will get plenty of time.

On the other hand, Manuel isn't enamored with Church, he laid down the gauntlet as soon as ST started, Church was expendable. Sure Manuel backed off a few days later, but I don't buy the motivation angle he spun after making the comments.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Sheff will be cut once he hits another home run and then his BA dips below .100 because after that he won't give a fuck.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Today marks the end of MLB.TV Beta Program. The two free games we plan to broadcast are: Boston Red Sox versus New York Mets at 6:10PM ET and Chicago Cubs versus New York Yankees at 7:05PM ET. Needless to say we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off right now but rest assured we have rolled out the final release of the player.

It is worth noting that this version is the version you will see going forward through opening week. From here on out revisions, bug fixes, and feature enhancements will still happen on a weekly basis. We will post those to share with everyone periodically.

New Features:

* Player tracker (MLB generic roster only - Yahoo! Fantasy Sports integration coming up in a few weeks)
* Real-time highlights video clips from around the league
* Loads of bug fixes .. (these aren't features)
* Many more error handling and messaging around streams / NexDef problems

Still Not Ready:

* Gameday Audio
http://mlbtv.mlblogs.com/

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/

nextdef download (required for higher quality video)

eznark

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
Ugh Sheff. Over/under 5 games before he runs his mouth.

Gary Sheffield = John Rocker with less tact and charisma

tyguy said:
I like how all these experts keep picking the Brewers to place fourth in the central. (Rosenthal, Hart on MLB Tonight, among others).

The Brewers pitching staff and bullpen is being terribly underrated, and I'll be laughing when the Crew blows past the Cards and Astros.

Baseball Prospectus (it's not pretty):

#18: Milwaukee Brewers (79-83, 756 RS, 761 RA). Last year's team returns down half a starting pitcher, as Yovani Gallardo slides into Ben Sheets' slot and no one replaces CC Sabathia. So why such a big decline? The bullpen, shaky a year ago, looks even worse today, although I do like the idea of Carlos Villanueva throwing 110 innings in relief. The seven-righties-and-Prince plan doesn't seem any better in the lineup today than it has the past two years, and while the defense is better than it was in 2007, it's certainly not good. If I'm off here, it's on the high side.

Joe Sheehan just fisted Milwaukee's collective asshole

Jon

Sheff is a perfect fit for those punks on the Mets! PHILLIES FOREVER!!!

I wanted the Phillies to sign him somehow. Now we're stuck with the power bat of Miguel Cairo

eznark

Banned
Jon said:
Sheff is a perfect fit for those punks on the Mets! PHILLIES FOREVER!!!

I wanted the Phillies to sign him somehow. Now we're stuck with the power bat of Miguel Cairo

You'd have been better off keeping Jenkins, at least he still has some outfield value with that arm.

Did a thread title get decided on yet? I've been out of the loop all day trying to finish up a f'ing business plan.

Windu

bjscott05 said:
can you hide the little player thing when you go fullscreen?
move your mouse off the video, should go away.

edit: btw, since this is free, you should be able to download the Nextdef plugin and be able to view the high quality stream (which is a premium feature normally).

edit: (the mets broadcast is in HD, the Red Sox is not)

edit 3: heh, playing around with the picture and picture, the Yankee broadcast is up (just says game is coming soon), works great.

painey

im watching baseball again :D :D i've missed it so much!!! The new player is AMAZING, i've followed it through from being crappy to spectacular. Time to buy MLB.tv pro, now i'm so hyped for the new season! Lets go A's!

Windu

I'm interested in seeing how that Highlight pop up box works. I went into the settings and selected "display alert bubble" for new highlights. I wonder if they will have any tonight.

edit: nice play at the plate. Looked like Posada may have blocked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom