• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
Why the fuck is Lester getting that much consideration for the Cy Young? What's wrong with the world?

Also, too many Mets picks. we are fucked.

LJ11

Windu said:

Saw this yesterday, I agree with the guys who picked the Marlins as a sleeper, really afraid of them. They can't play defense for shit but they have pretty good power and speed, and their pitching is very good (or at least has the potential to be if they stay healthy). Maybin looks like a very good player, at least from the handful of games I've watched.

Braves will put up a fight as well, they've got a tough lineup (if healthy), and a solid rotation.

The Mets need to win the division, they won't get the WC, the division is much stronger (if the competition stays relatively healthy), while the Central still has 2 to 3 teams that can be knocked around.

I'm worried about the rotation, but I've the same feeling I did in '06, Mets will make a run this year.

NomarTyme

It kind of funny and luck that the Dodgers only had to face Lincecum twice all year. Freaking blind luck, I doubt it'll happen this year.

Woooo! Great triple by Ethier! and Manny hustling home!

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Halladay won't win it this year, won't get enough wins or run support.

Damnable Blue Jays might raise payroll to 120 million next year, but all the steals were had this offseason damn it.

bluemax

Banned
Windu said:

I can't wait until MARCELS, CHONE and what not all beat them by a mile again.

LJ11 said:
Saw this yesterday, I agree with the guys who picked the Marlins as a sleeper, really afraid of them. They can't play defense for shit but they have pretty good power and speed, and their pitching is very good (or at least has the potential to be if they stay healthy). Maybin looks like a very good player, at least from the handful of games I've watched.

Braves will put up a fight as well, they've got a tough lineup (if healthy), and a solid rotation.

The Mets need to win the division, they won't get the WC, the division is much stronger (if the competition stays relatively healthy), while the Central still has 2 to 3 teams that can be knocked around.

I'm worried about the rotation, but I've the same feeling I did in '06, Mets will make a run this year.

I trust Dave Cameron that the Marlins are more likely to end up fighting the Nationals than the Mets.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Official 2009 MLB Thread of Nick Punto Sliding Head First Into First Base Every Day.

Nick Punto left today’s game after he fell onto the baseball, back-side first, trying to chase a fourth-inning pop up.

“The wind was blowing, the sun was out – it wasn’t the prettiest play I’ve ever seen Punto make,” Gardenhire said. “But they told me he’ll be fine.”
Here's hoping he tears his hand ligaments on opening night or something. He's our starting shortstop for two years at least, and most likely three due to Gardenhire's love affair with the guy. I should stock up my collection of full bottles of liquor.

Unless Chipper comes down with Mono I don't see how the 3 Stooges can pick a Brave to win ROY and they don't even win the Wild Card.

If any of the 3 Kawakami, Schafer, Hanson win ROY I don't see how they don't win the East. A back of the rotation guy wins 10-15 or your CF is a top 10 CFer.

Joe

Patrick Butler, a Boston fan wearing a Red Sox jersey and cap believe it or not, went even further.

"I've been to a lot of major league baseball stadiums around the country and by far this is the best," said Butler, who drove nearly three hours from Providence, R.I., with his 18-year-old son, Gregory.

firex

seems like they're all drinking the Chicago Scrubs koolaid for the NL picks. even if they make the playoffs they're going to lose badly, but I still believe (at least until May) that the Reds could win the Central.

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:

I think it was baseball prospectus radio, not sure, but the had something on how terrible the Marlins will be, like 95 losses terrible.

Houston Astros lost to the AA team in Corpus Christi today

*facepalm*

Pirates lost to a community college! jakncoke, where you at?

pollo

Banned
Joe said:
Patrick Butler, a Boston fan wearing a Red Sox jersey and cap believe it or not, went even further.

"I've been to a lot of major league baseball stadiums around the country and by far this is the best," said Butler, who drove nearly three hours from Providence, R.I., with his 18-year-old son, Gregory.

You going to the game today?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bill Shanks - Braves.scout.com said:
Join us Friday at 4:00 pm ET on The Bill Shanks Show in Macon for a roundtable discussion on the Braves, Mets, and Phillies.

Mark Healey of Baseball Digest.com willl talk about the Mets and Chuck Hickson of Philly Baseball News.com will talk about the Phillies. They will join me to talk about the National League East.

Click here to listen live. Join us in the conversation at 478-471-1670.
Should be interesting.

Sanjuro

Joe said:
no i'm not. i told myself i'd rather save my money for a regular season game but i kinda wish i was going now.
How is the weather down there? I'm still contemplating heading down there.

bluemax

Banned
firex said:
seems like they're all drinking the Chicago Scrubs koolaid for the NL picks. even if they make the playoffs they're going to lose badly, but I still believe (at least until May) that the Reds could win the Central.

Replacement level Yankees said:
Team: Cincinnati
Avg Prj W: 78
2008 Actual W: 74
2008 PythagenPat W: 71
W Diff: 4
PythagenPat W Diff: 7
Avg Prj RF: 739
2008 RF: 704
RF Diff: 35
Avg RA: 768
2008 RA: 800
RA Diff: -32
RF+RA Diff: 67
Division %: 4%
Wild Card %: 4%

Playoff %: 8%
High W: 82 (chone)
Low W: 76 (pecota)
Gap: 6
Avg Div Plc: 4

They've got a 4% chance!

Karakand said:
there really needs to be a different name for CHONE...

I don't even know why it is named that other than the dude is an Angels fan.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Going to Red Sox/Mets at CitiField tomorrow. I haven't been to a nice new stadium, I'm used to the dump Nassau Coliseum. Looking forward to it.

Joe

According to New York Newsday, the Mets have contacted Gary Sheffield directly and could sign him as soon as Friday night.

Matt Cerrone said:
Joel Sherman of the New York Post believes the Mets are close to signing free-agent Gary Sheffield.

According to one of Sherman’s sources, “Unless something drastic happens, he is a Met… Someone would have to offer him a second year, and I just don’t see that happening.”

…last week, i was against this… it still concerns me, because he is such a wild personality, and i worry about how it will impact what currently seems like a confident and peaceful clubhouse…

…however, if he signs for just $400,000, which it sounds like he will, at minimum, he’s a disgruntled, right-handed power bat for the bench, who is one step away from filling in for Ryan Church or Daniel Murphy, but who could be cut at any time with no major hit to the payroll…

…at best, he takes a job away from murphy, though more likely church, and he produces, and the Mets get a bargain…

…either way, this will likely mark the end of Marlon Anderson’s time with the Mets… sorry, marlon, but we all knew this day would come…

Do you want the Mets to sign Gary Sheffield?

* No (50%, 236 Votes)
* Yes (50%, 234 Votes)

Total Voters: 470
I said wow. Cheap righty bat w/ power off the bench FTW. Plus Jerry can cut him if Sheff gives him lip.

HA HA! HA HA HA.... double entendre.

Big-E

I don't know how I feel with Sheffield in the lineup. I don't think it could hurt unless he starts getting bitchy about playing time but I don't think that he will. He knows he is pretty much done.

LJ11

I fucking hate Sheffield, can you name a bigger cunt in baseball? At least Manuel won't put up with his shit.

pollo

Banned
Meh I'd take Sheff on the Mets

Not on the Yanks (utility infielder with D is more important. Pena better make it)

Iron Sheff was jesus. Can't go wrong if he's coming off the bench to clobber a ball now and again. You don't want him in the field, but other than that it's a good pickup if it's cheap.

Sanjuro

LJ11 said:
I fucking hate Sheffield, can you name a bigger cunt in baseball? At least Manuel won't put up with his shit.
He is a manager in Major League Baseball...of course he will.

There is NO reason the Mets or many teams shouldn't take the risk at that cost. Worst you can do is bench him, best you can do is POTENTIALLY have a power hitter. I would even take him in case anything happens to Ortiz.

Sanjuro

Besides last night's disastrous beginning of GAFlb and the shit weather I'm on suicide watch. I really was looking forward to visiting both new ballparks. I'm not going to drive all the way down there pay an insane amount for a shitty hotel to have a possible two rain delays.

I will however make an attempt at visiting both places this season, kinda bummed now I sold my tickets to Cajole. :/

Sanjuro

Ninja Scooter said:
Sheffield...in Boston!?!
I don't think he cares where he plays and the only people around here that wouldn't want to see him are the ones too far into the rivalry marketing scheme. I would love to have him on the bench.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I don't think he cares where he plays and the only people around here that wouldn't want to see him are the Klan members that comprise the population of Boston. I would love to have him on the bench.

Fixed.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Reminder for Free MLB.TV (using their new player) games this weekend.
No subscription necessary. Only an MLB.com login is required.

FRIDAY:
• Red Sox at Mets, 6:10 p.m. ET

• Cubs at Yankees, 7:05 p.m. ET.

SATURDAY:
• Cubs at Yankees, 1:05 p.m. ET

• Red Sox at Mets, 1:10 p.m. ET

• Orioles at Nationals, 6:05 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom