• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

nin17.jpg

Hero

Nintendo needs to freaking announce the US launch date. I want a DS Lite bad but I know as soon as I order it they're going to release info.

dlow-

I emailed both NCS and GCC to find out when they anticipate price drops, and both responded that the prices should drop at the end of the month. I really want a DS Lite too, but I just can't pay that extra money out of principle.

Has anyone tried downloading the demos at wiki.akkit.org? A poster in another thread mentioned that he couldn't get them to work on his DS Lite, and I'm wondering if it affects everyone.

arab

Gawd damnit, I would import but I'm afraid of dead pixels and not getting it repaired :<

Does GCC or NCS offer exchanges if you get a DSl with dead pixels?

cvxfreak

The Eatable Arab said:
Gawd damnit, I would import but I'm afraid of dead pixels and not getting it repaired :<

Does GCC or NCS offer exchanges if you get a DSl with dead pixels?

Not sure about GCC but NCS will not.

Keio

For a Finer World
Apr 18, 2006 15:25:00 FI DELIVERED
Signed by: XXXXXX Location: KD
Apr 18, 2006 12:37:00 FI TAMPERE DESTINATION SCAN
Apr 18, 2006 12:36:00 FI TAMPERE IMPORT SCAN
Apr 14, 2006 00:12:00 DE KOELN (COLOGNE) HUB SCAN
Apr 14, 2006 00:09:00 DE KOELN (COLOGNE) HUB SCAN
Apr 12, 2006 20:03:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK HUB SCAN
Apr 12, 2006 19:05:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Apr 12, 2006 06:37:21 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

It's waiting for me home! A brand new, Crystal White DS Lite from P-A (10th Feb preorder)... Now I'll spend the last two hours with my pink DS on the train home...

-nk-

Keio said:
It's waiting for me home! A brand new, Crystal White DS Lite from P-A (10th Feb preorder)... Now I'll spend the last two hours with my pink DS on the train home...
I preordered mine on 23th, guess i won't have to wait much longer ^^

guise

It arrived!

GCC = AWESOME

I ordered it last sunday, and it got here to England today (a week on tuesday) which is pretty damn fast considering the 4 day bank holiday weekend. EMS Speedpost shipping... no customs charges!

GCC even threw in a free gift! Albeit it was a PSP screen guard... the cheeky bastards.

So how long do i need to leave this baby on charge before i can fire her up?

dsyo0pg.jpg

Highlight image for spoilers

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TehOh said:
I'm sure you're sick of these by now, but have a few more pictures.

130480243_cdbef94269.jpg
That right there is why I'd never get the navy DSL, it looks horrible next to the black SP.

RaidenZR

I have the "smart case" by Keys Factory (there's pics in this thread back a ways). It's a great case but make no mistake, it only houses the system. You can't squeeze cards in there without possibly scuffing your system. Bit of a trade off but you can get one of these and keep it on your key ring!

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
The end of the pre-order queue is in sight, as Lik-Sang informs us that the DS Lite shortage is over.

One of our sponsors, online reseller Lik-Sang known best by importing gamers, let us know that at long last the shortage on DS Lite systems is over. The system dubbed the "Crystal Cocaine" DS Lite (as Lik-Sang decided to name it) is in stock and shipping within 24 hours now, as are the other two colors (Enamel Navy and Ice Blue).

http://www.ds-x2.com/index.php?id=5083

hooo

boooy
Darmstadtium said:
The end of the pre-order queue is in sight, as Lik-Sang informs us that the DS Lite shortage is over.

One of our sponsors, online reseller Lik-Sang known best by importing gamers, let us know that at long last the shortage on DS Lite systems is over. The system dubbed the "Crystal Cocaine" DS Lite (as Lik-Sang decided to name it) is in stock and shipping within 24 hours now, as are the other two colors (Enamel Navy and Ice Blue).

http://www.ds-x2.com/index.php?id=5083

Hopefully that means a US launch in late May or June could actually happen. E3 is still to far away. =/

Blackbird

hooo said:
Hopefully that means a US launch in late May or June could actually happen. E3 is still to far away. =/

June.
For Europe I've heard two possibilities now: end of August and last week of September.

123rl

Blackbird said:
For Europe I've heard two possibilities now: end of August and last week of September.

That's pathetic. If it's either of those then NOE have doomed the DS Lite to failure because people will just import it. People don't yet understand just how easy it is, and how simple it is to play import games/consoles in Europe. With the DS you literally need a stepdown (or wait for a 240v PSU to pop up...it'll happen soon) and change the menus to your native language. That's IT!:lol And yet people won't go through all this "trouble" and will instead wait another six months and pay more money for the pleasure of doing so

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just wanted to give you guys some impressions about how the DS Lite performs under a bright sun: incredibly good. Tested and approved.

ascully

I just picked up a case for my DS lite from Playasia, wasnt sure what it would be like but its surprisingly good even holds 4-6 game cards in the top pocket. Sory about Menchi in the second picture he wanted to tag along :)

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I wondered into a shop on the way home last friday in the vain hope that they had a DS and to my luck they had three! Including the white colour that i wanted :) They are really nice, The only reason i didn't get the last DS was because it looks quite ugly and is too big for me.

cvxfreak

Finally got my LIte! :D

It's simply awesome... the screen, the white shine, the set up, the new stylus... all so damn wonderful. The box is also similar to that of the new iPods. WHOO-HOO!

"WOW!"

P.S. The e-Reader fits. :lol

Mmmkay

My DS Lite travelled backwards in time to get to me :D

April 18, 2006 18:38 Hong Kong - Hong Kong Shipment picked up
April 18, 2006 23:10 Hong Kong - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hong Kong
April 18, 2006 23:47 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Arrived at DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong
April 19, 2006 04:11 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong
April 20, 2006 01:29 Cologne - Germany Departed from DHL facility in Cologne - Germany
April 20, 2006 01:24 East Midlands - UK Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK
April 20, 2006 03:22 East Midlands - UK Processed for clearance at East Midlands - UK
April 20, 2006 03:36 East Midlands - UK Clearance processing complete at East Midlands - UK
Yes obviously it's a timezone anomaly, but I thought it was cute ;)

Since (hailing from the UK) I'm liable for Customs and Excise tax, I ordered with Renchi who allow you to mark down the declared value by up to 70%. Though their Lite price was slightly more expensive than PA et al, they work out cheaper for me since I skip what would be a nasty import bill at my door.

mj1108

cvxfreak said:

It's simply awesome... the screen, the white shine, the set up, the new stylus... all so damn wonderful. The box is also similar to that of the new iPods. WHOO-HOO!

"WOW!"

I TOLD YOU SO.

Welcome to the Lite Family. :D

cvxfreak

Mmmkay said:

April 18, 2006 23:10 Hong Kong - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hong Kong
April 18, 2006 23:47 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Arrived at DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong
April 19, 2006 04:11 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong
April 20, 2006 01:29 Cologne - Germany Departed from DHL facility in Cologne - Germany
April 20, 2006 01:24 East Midlands - UK Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK
April 20, 2006 03:22 East Midlands - UK Processed for clearance at East Midlands - UK
April 20, 2006 03:36 East Midlands - UK Clearance processing complete at East Midlands - UK

The way mine went, it looked like it went from Japan to California in all of an hour. :lol

mj1108 said:
I TOLD YOU SO.

Welcome to the Lite Family. :D

I must've missed the message, sorry! And thanks!

ant1532

Banned
cvxfreak said:

"WOW!"

grab one
DSC05845.jpg

Fuzzy

cvxfreak said:

"WOW!"

Now you must update your pics comparing all your GBA's and DS's. A new pyramid pic would be nice too. :)

Mmmkay said:

Since (hailing from the UK) I'm liable for Customs and Excise tax, I ordered with Renchi who allow you to mark down the declared value by up to 70%. Though their Lite price was slightly more expensive than PA et al, they work out cheaper for me since I skip what would be a nasty import bill at my door.

You live in Nottingham?

Mmmkay said:
No, that is where my DS currently resides. DHL's UK air freight depot for the North is East Midlands Airport.

Ah.

Also a fun fact:

All the mail I got from the US in Brasil went through Cologne. I have no idea why. It resulted in two week delays.

cvxfreak

BEST. HANDHELD. EVER.

Seriously. The design of the DS Lite is simply amazing. The iPod-like white exterior and the sturdy interior give the handheld a classy feel, but those screens, Jesus, they really outdid themselves with the brightness. Games look so vibrant and I thought they looked good enough on the original system before the SP+ came out. The size is also pleasantly surprising; small, think and compact.

I played Brain Age, Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, Resident Evil Deadly Silence and Super Mario 64 DS today. For the last game, moving Mario is a lot easier thanks to the D-Pad; still nowhere near the N64 game but better than before. In the case of Deadly Silence, the longer stylus makes reaction time a lot better for the Master of Knifing minigame. Hopefully once the weekend comes I can invest some more time to play Brain Age and some ZooKeeper.

I feel a sense of reinvigoration for the DS now. I really liked the handheld before, but the design made it uncomfortable to hold or bring to places. But now the design is much better than ever before and I feel like scooping up a few more major DS games such as Animal Crossing, Super Princess Peach, Phoenix Wright and maybe even Pokemon Trozei.

mj1108 said:
You have over 2,000 orgasmic replies and you finally come around to import? :p

yeah i was holding off import, but Nintendo probably won't release it here in the UK/Europe (despite Europe probably now being the DS' 2nd biggest market) till mid summer now. So i suppose cvx was the final nail!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DS Lite is nothing less than amazing. You can not not fall in love with it. The new screens make games look like they are displayed in HD. Even Drinky Crow will give up his DS bashing once he gets the Lite :D .

rod

Banned
yeh i gotta say the DSL is something. i dont have the best eyesight so the dsl is a godsend...the screens are so, so bright. and sharp, crystal clear.

mj1108

DefectiveReject said:
yeah i was holding off import, but Nintendo probably won't release it here in the UK/Europe (despite Europe probably now being the DS' 2nd biggest market) till mid summer now. So i suppose cvx was the final nail!

Import it NOW. Once you get it in your hands, you'll be so glad you did. :)

Mr. Smith

im sorry to ask, please dont flame me ok. but what is this GCC everybody is talking about?? i googled GCC but got no results that would take me to a videogamestore. please someone post a link to their site, thanks.

Can someone post their overall total for a NDS order from Gamechoiceclub.com

I don't wanna register just to see what the shipping is. I live in Alaska BTW.... :)

Fuzzy

DefectiveReject said:
Here's a couple of things to think about.

1) The DSL is featured on the cover of the PAL version of Brain Training (it's not on the NA version).
2) PAL Brain Training is being released on June 9th IIRC

It's very likely the DSL will be released either before or with Brain Training in Europe.

Top Bottom