• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zou

Cheebs said:
Never under-estimate the empathy of female voters.

Oh, they would probably eat it up. And if not, they most likely would still stick to here only because they want to see a female president. But other voters would start looking for a strong candidate, not someone that is seen as emotional and can't handle stress. Not to mention those that would get fed up with her stunts. And I think she would only stand to lose: She might pick up some women, but honestly, I think at this point most made up their mind, but she would piss off a large number of male voters.

Or maybe I'm giving women too much credit (just joking <3)

Cheebs

Triumph said:
Maine. Seriously.
I say there is a 99.99999% chance he wins Virgina. But NH has made me always prepared for the revenge of female voters seeing "one of their own" kicked around. It's not sexist, its just a reality. They want a woman president and seeing that slip away may cause a lot of passionate anger somewhere.

But I digress, it is highly unlikely to happen twice in one primary I hope.

Cheebs said:
I say there is a 99.99999% chance he wins Virgina. But NH has made me always prepared for the revenge of female voters seeing "one of their own" kicked around. It's not sexist, its just a reality. They want a woman president and seeing that slip away may cause a lot of passionate anger somewhere.

That's what this campaign is based on! Yes, we can.

I'm still nervous about the coming tests, but after this weekend, I'm feeling pretty good...

Juice

Cheebs said:

I think he lost NH because of how anti-Hillary the last debate and his rhetoric had become.

He's been so successful this week because he's stayed on his message and only addressed her policies in third person. She doesn't look 'kicked around', she looks defeated and, when not, desperate. That's an unattractive persona to any voter, regardless of genitals.

Duke Togo

2jetj7k.png

24ys38w.jpg

2wmgoj4.jpg

Juice said:
I think he lost NH because of how anti-Hillary the last debate and his rhetoric had become.

He's been so successful this week because he's stayed on his message and only addressed her policies in third person. She doesn't look 'kicked around', she looks defeated and, when not, desperate. That's an unattractive persona to any voter, regardless of genitals.

Keep in mind also that prior to Iowa, NH was solidly hillary territory and she was leading there by quite a bit. her "victory" there ended up being statistically meaningless as they gained the same amount of delegates.

Make no mistake, NH was NOT a good thing for Clinton, no matter how you spin it.

VA is not and may never have been solid hillary territory with the massive minority population there. Barring a gay sex tape scandal or something equally ludicrous Obama has it in the bag. Hell, DC is the town that RE-ELECTED Marion Barry after he was caught ON TAPE smoking crack!

zou

sangreal said:
its because they want to put it back into the hands of the DLC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Leadership_Council)

which of course would be terrible for the Democratic party

Also, Howard Dean's 50-state strategy not only won the Dems seats in 2006, its also exactly how Obama is winning this nomination against Clinton

Do you by any chance have some more info about what exactly his 50-state strategy was made up of? I keep reading it, but don't really know a whole lot about it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Manmademan said:
Keep in mind also that prior to Iowa, NH was solidly hillary territory and she was leading there by quite a bit. her "victory" there ended up being statistically meaningless as they gained the same amount of delegates.

Make no mistake, NH was NOT a good thing for Clinton, no matter how you spin it.

VA is not and may never have been solid hillary territory with the massive minority population there. Barring a gay sex tape scandal or something equally ludicrous Obama has it in the bag. Hell, DC is the town that RE-ELECTED Marion Barry after he was caught ON TAPE smoking crack!

The media declared her the winner, she gained momentum. How could have the NH win be a bad thing for her?

tralfazz

Amir0x said:
He walked outside to address those who couldn't get inside the Bangor Auditorium, it was an absolutely amazing gesture.

Click

The crowd nearly fainted

I just figured it out. If you close your eyes and just listen to his voice, the pitch and tone is similar to the Rock's.

Triumph

Banned
Manmademan said:

Results wise no, but think back and you'll remember that pretty much everyone was predicting a big Obama victory. If he'd won (even by the two stinkin' points she did) this campaign would be finishing up right now, I'm fairly sure.

grandjedi6

I think its rude that Hillary hasn't come out and congratulated Obama on his wins this weekend. Its a standard procedure for all candidates

Triumph

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I think its rude that Hillary hasn't come out and congratulated Obama on his wins this weekend. Its a standard procedure for all candidates
I guarantee you they are freaking the fuck out over there. This weekend is when she's probably first realized that she has a serious chance of losing the nomination. Witness her campaign manager getting axed.

sangreal

grandjedi6 said:
She hasn't even thanked her supporters

but I bet she'll give a victory speech whenever NM gets around to reporting their numbers

grandjedi6 said:
The media declared her the winner, she gained momentum. How could have the NH win be a bad thing for her?

because media perception swings back and forth on an almost daily basis it seems. In a contest like this that's about delegates, new hampshire was the first indication that Hillary's base was not as strong as her campaign assumed.

much like super tuesday, her support evaporated nearly overnight at the first HINT of a viable challenger, and just barely came back to tie (statistically) in an area that should have been a cakewalk. The writing on the wall for super tuesday was all over new hampshire, imho.

I DONT buy the theory that an obama win would have wrapped things up by now though. The clinton machine is experienced with a lot of options to drag things out up the last minute.

sangreal said:
She hasn't even thanked her supporters

but I bet she'll give a victory speech whenever NM gets around to reporting their numbers

I would not be suprised in the SLIGHTEST to see this happen, or even to see her try to paint it as some kind of grand comeback

grandjedi6

Every few days I check Mike Gravel's website just to make sure he hasn't dropped out or died without the media reporting it. It's really sad now. Gravel has no events, no one is posting on his forum and his donation page/store is getting desperate.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
tralfazz said:
I just figured it out. If you close your eyes and just listen to his voice, the pitch and tone is similar to the Rock's.
:lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. He's like a smaller more intelligent version of the Rock. Thats certainly not a BAD thing!

Link

The Autumn Wind
tralfazz said:
God dammit, now I can't unhear it.

h1nch said:
if hillary wins, ill vote republican (or libertarian)
aliensmall.gif

"Go ahead, throw your vote away"

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Triumph said:
I guarantee you they are freaking the fuck out over there. This weekend is when she's probably first realized that she has a serious chance of losing the nomination. Witness her campaign manager getting axed.

They've already done that once already...

If Hillary wins outright, no bullshit.... I WILL vote for her in the generals. If the SooperDooperDelegatePowersThatBe steal the election from Obama or Florida and/or Michigan are seated as they stand now, I'm abstaining (I've come down from the cliff where I vote for McCain).

I feel like I need a nifty Obamatar. If I had photoshop skills, I'd put his head onto Oscar Robinson's body.

deadbeef

See, this is the real risk of this long campaign for the nomination between the Democrats. All this goodwill and energy from the young voters will be gone in an instant if Hillary ends up muscling the nomination during the convention via the superdelegates. Or hell, even if she wins outright, I can see the wind being taken out of all these young people's sails. Who knows when they will be this motivated again.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Macam said:
This is such a tired (and absurd) meme. If you don't care about policies, don't vote.

The only thing that sounds absurd is your condescending tone.

I agree with him, minus republican vote.

Out of McCain, Hillary, and Obama, I will only vote for Obama because the other two are pro-war. You can make the argument that Hillary made a mistake, but then she's incompetent. Either way, not voting for her.

h1nch

Macam said:
This is such a tired (and absurd) meme. If you don't care about policies, don't vote.

i don't agree with a lot of hillary's positions, and i don't trust her as a person.

what's absurd to me is blindly supporting one party or another. like the people who vote for nothing but republicans or nothing but democrats.

Dice Man said:
See, this is the real risk of this long campaign for the nomination between the Democrats. All this goodwill and energy from the young voters will be gone in an instant if Hillary ends up muscling the nomination during the convention via the superdelegates. Or hell, even if she wins outright, I can see the wind being taken out of all these young people's sails. Who knows when they will be this motivated again.
Too bad Hillary supporters don't realize she's the biggest threat to American politics this election cycle. Think about the potential she is cock-blocking!

Seth C

Dice Man said:

More than likely, never. I'm 28 and this is the first time I've had opportunity to get excited about an election.

grandjedi6

Dice Man said:

When they are over 60 and the government tries to give them less money

Tobor

h1nch said:
i don't agree with a lot of hillary's positions, and i don't trust her as a person.

what's absurd to me is blindly supporting one party or another. like the people who vote for nothing but republicans or nothing but democrats.

A party is supposed to have a set of goals that the entire party is working towards, therefore a vote for the party is a vote for the agenda. It's kind of the whole point of a party system.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
h1nch said:

question, what policies are outright different between Obama and Hillary right now?

just interested what your take is.

Seth C

Tobor said:
A party is supposed to have a set of goals that the entire party is working towards, therefore a vote for the party is a vote for the agenda. It's kind of the whole point of a party system.

Yeah well, it's shitty and stupid with only two viable parties. There aren't two sets of goals that everyone fits neatly in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom