• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Go Obama, can't wait to vote for him on Tuesday morning. Oh, and I found this somewhat hilarious:

midday-cartoon.gif

Tobor

Seth C said:
Yeah well, it's shitty and stupid with only two viable parties. There aren't two sets of goals that everyone fits neatly in to.

That's a different argument, though. I was responding to h1nch's assertion that voting for a party is absurd, when clearly it is not.

scorcho said:
question, what policies are outright different between Obama and Hillary right now?

just interested what your take is.

Not much, but what he saying is that those shouldnt be the only options.

WHen voting, it shouldnt be "obama or hills?"

It should be "obama, mccain, hills, paul or hucks?"

Seth C said:
Yeah well, it's shitty and stupid with only two viable parties. There aren't two sets of goals that everyone fits neatly in to.

The primaries are essentially the american version of a multi-party system.

In other countries, they skip this, and then break up into millions of parties. MCCain, Paul and Hucks would each have their own party.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Tobor said:
That's a different argument, though. I was responding to h1nch's assertion that voting for a party is absurd, when clearly it is not.

Nope, it's absurd when people vote the party line without actually looking at the candidate. This is essentially what Bush did. He ran a conservative campaign where he talked about conservative economics, conservative spending, conservative foreign policy, and then turned around and became the biggest pro-war globalist liberal president there has been.

You call say there's no difference between Obama and Hillary, but I believe there is. Hillary's healthcare solution is so horribly flawed because it's going to be crafted by special interests. As first lady, she tried it before, and created the plan with the industry behind closed doors. The whole reason for UHC is to supposedly reduce costs. How can you objectively do that when you are trying to maximize profits for lobbyists?

Hillary voted for the war in Iraq. Part of her "experience" in the white house with Bill was signing the Iraqi Liberation Act of 1998, which basically says let's find a reason to overthrow Hussein. She was still being aggressive with Iran after the NIE.

Furthermore, I simply don't like her politics. Once you get down to three candidates, sadly that is a factor.

Rur0ni

2/10/08 Results Update

Maine
Democrats:
Obama 59% 2,079 (State Delegates)
Clinton 40% 1,396 (State Delegates)
+19 spread

99% Reporting

Thoughts
Amazing. Complete upset of grand proportions. Grand because not only did it upset her, but came with a near 20% spread... when you're projected to win a state, you do not lose by that large a margin. This state went against conventional wisdom up to this point: Large white population, working class, smaller % of higher education. It favored Clinton completely.

Extra Thoughts
Rolling Thunder. The Obama Wave. Tuesday another blowout is expected. Thread will be going up soon tonight.

Extra Extra Thought
Scorched Earth against your own party?

Tobor

teh_pwn said:
Nope, it's absurd when people vote the party line without actually looking at the candidate. This is essentially what Bush did. He ran a conservative campaign where he talked about conservative economics, conservative spending, conservative foreign policy, and then turned around and became the biggest pro-war globalist liberal president there has been.

You call say there's no difference between Obama and Hillary, but I believe there is. Hillary's healthcare solution is so horribly flawed because it's going to be crafted by special interests. As first lady, she tried it before, and created the plan with the industry behind closed doors. The whole reason for UHC is to supposedly reduce costs. How can you objectively do that when you are trying to maximize profits for lobbyists?

Hillary voted for the war in Iraq. Part of her "experience" in the white house with Bill was signing the Iraqi Liberation Act of 1998, which basically says let's find a reason to overthrow Hussein. She was still being aggressive with Iran after the NIE.

Furthermore, I simply don't like her politics. Once you get down to three candidates, sadly that is a factor.

How could conservatives have predicted that in a pre-911 world? Should they have hired a mind reader or built a time machine?

Like I said, the point of a party is to form a cohesive message based on shared ideals. Does it always work? Of course not. But that is the point of the whole thing.

teh_pwn

Tobor said:
How could conservatives have predicted that in a pre-911 world? Should they have hired a mind reader or built a time machine?

Like I said, the point of a party is to form a cohesive message based on shared ideals. Does it always work? Of course not. But that is the point of the whole thing.

Many couldn't have predicted that. In fact, if you listen to Dick Cheney from 1992, he makes a very educated reason for why invading during the Gulf War would have been a mistake, and gave an accurate prediction to the implications of an invasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7Ik_X1HU0

I wasn't paying attention to politics back in 2000 (hell I was in high school), so I'm not sure if there were any indications that Bush was a fucking liar.

But the problem with the party line is that it encourages blind voting. Conservatives should have immediately abandoned Bush/Cheney back in 2002-3 when it was very apparent that they were not conservatives. But some people stuck with them because of the party line, because they feared that Democrats would be worse, because they were ignorant and voted the party line. Some actually came to support Bush's policies and abandon their principles.

I just think people should objectively vote, and not support anyone that doesn't hold the same core ideals of the party. Having a political party is all fine and everything. But blind party line voting is not.

I'm not a Democrat, but I see two primary differences between Obama and Clinton:
1. Clinton has neo-con foreign policy hues.
2. Clinton is more in bed with special interests.

Big reasons to vote for Obama over Clinton, and I'm glad that it appears that Democrats are waking up in time whereas Republicans were about 6 years too late.

Hootie

grandjedi6 said:
Crazy Backwards readers!

It's supposed to be read like a japanese manga or whatever because that's how the original one was and the video source itself is a japanese "educational" movie.

Tobor

teh_pwn said:
Many couldn't have predicted that. In fact, if you listen to Dick Cheney from 1992, he makes a very educated reason for why invading during the Gulf War would have been a mistake, and gave an accurate prediction to the implications of an invasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7Ik_X1HU0

I wasn't paying attention to politics back in 2000 (hell I was in high school), so I'm not sure if there were any indications that Bush was a fucking liar.

But the problem with the party line is that it encourages blind voting. Conservatives should have immediately abandoned Bush/Cheney back in 2002-3 when it was very apparent that they were not conservatives. But some people stuck with them because of the party line, because they feared that Democrats would be worse, because they were ignorant and voted the party line. Some actually came to support Bush's policies and abandon their principles.

I just think people should objectively vote, and not support anyone that doesn't hold the same core ideals of the party. Having a political party is all fine and everything. But blind party line voting is not.

I'm not a Democrat, but I see two primary differences between Obama and Clinton:
1. Clinton has neo-con foreign policy hues.
2. Clinton is more in bed with special interests.

Big reasons to vote for Obama over Clinton, and I'm glad that it appears that Democrats are waking up in time whereas Republicans were about 6 years too late.

I'm clearly an Obama supporter, I'm voting for him on Tuesday, but it's not voting blindly to realize that Hillary is closer to my ideals and beliefs than John McCain. That's just common sense.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hootie said:
It's supposed to be read like a japanese manga or whatever because that's how the original one was and the video source itself is a japanese "educational" movie.

Okay I missed this. Link?

teh_pwn

Tobor said:
I'm clearly an Obama supporter, I'm voting for him on Tuesday, but it's not voting blindly to realize that Hillary is closer to my ideals and beliefs than John McCain. That's just common sense.

I'm a centrist/libertarian, and honestly I see Hillary between Obama and McCain. I'm not trying to convince any of you Dems to vote for Straight Talk. As I said earlier, I refuse to vote for either Hillary or McCain. Obama is tolerable for me.

In simple terms:
Obama: Mostly agree with social liberties, Mostly agree with foreign policy, disagree about economics and spending.

Clinton: Mostly, disagree, disagree.

McDoubleTalk: disagree, adamantly disagree, disagree

GhaleonEB

grandjedi6 said:
Okay I missed this. Link?
FWIW I didn't know the original was supposed to be read backwards and never once understood it. Yours actually made sense, so thanks. :lol
CowboyAstronaut said:
Anyone suspects the Clinton Campaign's wait till March 4th talk is sounding quite a bit like Rudy's wait till Florida talk? :lol
Yup. And just like Rudy, she's in for a surprise when that day rolls around. Just look how fast Maine shifted - just a few days ago Clinton was favored.

GhaleonEB

Just read this over at Kos.

John Knutson, the chairman of the Maine Democratic Party, said Thursday he will support the candidate who wins the majority of the vote in Maine.

"For all intents and purposes, Maine now has 25 delegates up for grabs since I will be embracing the candidate who wins Maine's caucuses," Knutson, one of the 10 super-delegates, said in a statement.

"I see this as a way to further empower Democrats across the state of Maine and make the results of our caucus more influential. It is clear that this presidential campaign will come down to a race for delegates, and I believe that by pledging to support the winner of Maine's caucuses, I will help to increase Maine's importance in the nomination process," Knutson said.

+1 super deligate for Obama

mollipen

tralfazz said:
I just figured it out. If you close your eyes and just listen to his voice, the pitch and tone is similar to the Rock's.

The Scene: February 12th, Washington DC

Blitzer
"Barack... you swept your three our of five falls match with Hillary, securing wins in Virginia, Maryland, and now Washington DC. Next up is your battle on the 19th, where you'll have to dunk your opponent in the waters off of Hawaii and Michigan to win those states. Hillary is a wounded animal, and not only is she known to be nasty when so down and out, but she won't be coming alone - she'll have the entire New Clinton Order with her. Do you think yo..."

Barack
*Puts up hand in Blitzer's face*

"Finally... The Barack... HAS COME BACK... to Washing DC.

Wolf Blitzer, let The Barack tell you what he's going to do... first, The Barack is going to take Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, Curly Clinton, crazy Grandpa Jebediah Clinton with the bad eye and the crooked leg, and he's going to Obamabomb the entire Clinton clan all the way back to Arkansas. And when the dust settles, and the people everywhere are chanting for The Barack... "yes we can, yes we can, yes we can"... The Barack is going to walk down that road to November 4th, right up to John McCain, the American hero, the war vet, look him straight in the eyes, and layeth the smacketh down on his roody-poo candy-ass if ya smeeeeeell... what Barack.... is cookin'!"

sangreal

Now seems as good a time as any to post this (old?):
http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4261093&page=1

Japanese Town of Obama Has New Hero

The residents of Obama City in Fukui Prefecture in central Japan cannot contain their excitement about the prospect of having someone named "Obama" being the U.S. president. And the employees of a farming and construction machinery maker in southern Japan are cheering for the candidate whose first name is the same as one of the transportation machines they build and sell: the "Hillary."

tralfazz

shidoshi said:
The Scene: February 12th, Washington DC

Blitzer
"Barack... you swept your three our of five falls match with Hillary, securing wins in Virginia, Maryland, and now Washington DC. Next up is your battle on the 19th, where you'll have to dunk your opponent in the waters off of Hawaii and Michigan to win those states. Hillary is a wounded animal, and not only is she known to be nasty when so down and out, but she won't be coming alone - she'll have the entire New Clinton Order with her. Do you think yo..."

Barack
*Puts up hand in Blitzer's face*

"Finally... The Barack... HAS COME BACK... to Washing DC.

Wolf Blitzer, let The Barack tell you what he's going to do... first, The Barack is going to take Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, Curly Clinton, crazy Grandpa Jebediah Clinton with the bad eye and the crooked leg, and he's going to Obamabomb the entire Clinton clan all the way back to Arkansas. And when the dust settles, and the people everywhere are chanting for The Barack... "yes we can, yes we can, yes we can"... The Barack is going to walk down that road to November 4th, right up to John McCain, the American hero, the war vet, look him straight in the eyes, and layeth the smacketh down on his roody-poo candy-ass if ya smeeeeeell... what Barack.... is cookin'!"

Bravo!

quest

Not Banned from OT
h1nch said:
i don't agree with a lot of hillary's positions, and i don't trust her as a person.

what's absurd to me is blindly supporting one party or another. like the people who vote for nothing but republicans or nothing but democrats.

Exactly I vote for the person I like the best I could careless about either party. Maybe if every person from the party had the same exact view sure but each person is a little different. I could never vote for extremist of either party huckster and obama are just way to far from center to vote for. I am a social moderate and a fiscal conservative neither party represents that. Come november I will pick people from both sides to vote for.

Party zombies drive me insane.

numble

syllogism said:

Wow. The site is full of people more extreme than Lefty, but for Hillary.

I love how they talk about how caucuses are unfair and then go on about seating Florida and Michigan.

# hawk Says:
February 10th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Yeah, the obamatron precinct captain and I got into it. It got very personal. She came over, and I turned around, she was trying to get our people to go to her side, and she flipped out when we all said no. She yelled “you’re not even viable anyway!”, So I turned to her and said “hold on come here. why are you being such a bitch? That attitude is not going to help you in politics honey”, and then she huffed and puffed and walked away.

EazyB

Banned
I'm a little late, but I got to go to Obama's WA rally. It was that quite the experience, I've never been that interested in an election but I've felt we really have a great opportunity in front of us instead of the usual choice of the lesser of two evils.

Anyways, I didn't bother reading thru all the pages so I don't know if anyone else posted any first hand reports of the rally, but if anyone's interested, here are mine:

We got there about an hour before the doors opened and there was a sea of people ahead of us and thousands more continued to line up behind us.

Got in and got decent seats. Took a really long time for Obama to finally get up there but it was absolutely worth the wait. His speech was both informative and moving. The crowd was young and enthusiastic. Had a great time.

The buses were a mess trying to leave the Key Arena so it took us hours to cram into one that wasn't already full. This turned out to be a blessing though because as we were waiting for a bus, Obama left the Key Arena and with him his caravan of buses, heavy SUVs, and police officers. I was able to get a quick video of him leaving but the quality is so bad that, coupled with the window's glare, you can't see Obama through the second SUV's window. We saw him though, and he waved at us. Which was funny because I sarcastically told my girlfriend that Obama would wave to her right before it actually happened. It was pretty exciting for all of us.

The following day I participated in my first caucus along with a whole bunch of my fellow classmates. I think Obama did a great job in motivating the youth to vote. Glad to see his efforts paid off according to the poll results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom