• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynoro

143ev84.jpg

Come on; there's got to be more people ready for the start of the EPL let alone all the other European leagues

faridmon

godhandiscen said:
Well, not like I gave a damn when the thread was incredibly biased towards the Premier League.
don't worry, I follow German Bundesliga very closely. does that count?

and of course I will follow my beloved AS Roma too.

faridmon

WTF happened to the thread? come on people, you can't be lazy enough to keep the thread alive.

Barbatov effect is getting spread through the entire thread, i fear for the society

Dre

faridmon said:
Barbatov effect is getting spread through the entire thread, i fear for the society
More likely the C. Ronaldo, X. Alonso, Benzema and Kaká effect, they all left for a better place.

faridmon

Dre said:
More likely the C. Ronaldo, X. Alonso, Benzema and Kaká effect, they all left for a better place.
but that should be a good effect. Barbatov spreads the disease of laziness, remember that penalty against Everton?

Dre

faridmon said:
but that should be a good effect. Barbatov spreads the disease of laziness, remember that penalty against Everton?
Yesterday even Evra remembered that one.

Ryck

No one is keeping this thread alive because none of the people that made it great are here anymore. It's just a sad pathetic shell of it's former self.

Karakand

Verano said:
Mexico>Turkey in 3rd world conditions.
Since Turkey was Western-aligned during the Cold War, I agree Mexico definitely has it beat at being Third World.

Not that there's anything wrong with being Third World, I respect people's decision to sit things out. If we do not permit freedom of conscience, what freedom can any of us really claim to have?

Ubuntu.

If there is ever again to be any serious discussion about football on this forum, it'll be once those of you who have gone to that other place stay gone, rather than coming back and making oh-so-subtle attempts at trolling - we get it, there aren't enough football fanatic, obsessive compulsive, running commentary providing posters here to keep the football thread in a comparable state to that of last season, and with an OP like that it's hard to forsee the situation improving.

I doubt Cedeo cares.

Or anyone for that matter.

Here's the gossip roundup in a futile attempt to rouse some discussion;

Barcelona have warned their fans that they will not spend over the odds to bring Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas back to the Nou Camp.
Full story: The Sun

Joleon Lescott is finally bound for Manchester City after the Eastlands club made a final offer of £20m to Everton for the defender's services.
Full story: Daily Mail

West Ham's £15m-rated Matthew Upson has given Manchester City further hope in their hunt for a central defender by rejecting contract extension talks at Upton Park.
Full story: The Telegraph

But City manager Mark Hughes may prefer to turn his attentions to securing an Eastlands return for Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin.
Full story: The Independent

Everton are lining up a £14m bid for Paris St Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has told Arsenal they will have to stump up £15m if they are to take centre-back Brede Hangeland across London.

Everton are still hopeful of landing Arsenal's Switzerland international defender Philippe Senderos.
Full story: The Independent

Aston Villa are preparing a raid on Championship outfit Middlesbrough with defender Robert Huth and Turkey international striker Tuncay in their sights.
Full story: The Guardian

Defender David Wheater could also be leaving the Riverside for Villa Park if boss Martin O'Neill decides to pursue his interest in the England Under-21 international. (Daily Star)

Hull are closing in on the signature of Reading's Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen Hunt. (Various)

The Tigers are also poised to offer free agent Henri Camara a contract after the striker's departure from Wigan.
Full story: The Times

Fulham have agreed a £2.5m deal for striker Kalu Uche from Spanish side Almeria.
Full story: The Times

Hull are also in the market for former Liverpool midfielder Boudewijn Zenden.

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish wants to sign Rangers defender Gregory Vignal who he managed during his time at Ibrox.

Wolves are considering a bid for former Marseille midfielder Modeste M'Bami. (Daily Mail)

Midfielder Radoslav Kovac is close to signing a permanent deal to join West Ham from Spartak Moscow after a successful loan spell last season. (Various)

Defender Sol Campbell, whose contract with Portsmouth ran out earlier this summer, is considering an offer to join Notts County. (Daily Express)

Arsenal are to step up their interest in Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul after the Dutchman's impressive opening-day performance against West Brom.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Blackburn are poised to pounce for out-of-contract defender Michel Salgado after the Spanish international departed Real Madrid.
Full story: Daily Mirror

West Brom have signed free agent Jerome Thomas after the midfielder's deal at Portsmouth expired. (Daily Mirror)

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce is also close to landing Nantes midfielder Aurelien Capoue on a season-long loan. (Daily Star)

OTHER GOSSIP

Midfielder Javier Mascherano is ready to commit his future to Liverpool after manager Rafael Benitez blocked a possible move to Barcelona. (Daily Telegraph)

Former Chelsea boss Avram Grant has been offered a return to management by friend and Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov. (Daily Express)

Ipswich manager Roy Keane wants to make former Manchester United coach Brian Kidd his right-hand man at Portman Road. (Daily Mirror)

AND FINALLY

Manchester City have admitted that they forgot to tell the Football Association of Wales that striker Craig Bellamy would not be joining up with his international team-mates for Wednesday's friendly against Montenegro. Officials were left bemused by his non-appearance. (Various)

Football Association chairman Lord Triesman was soaked by the sprinkler system while inspecting the Wembley pitch ahead of the Sunday's Community Shield match between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Middlesbrough defender Andrew Taylor is to launch Platinum Players, a website designed to protect professional footballers from being ripped off.
Full story: The Guardian

Hope we don't sell Upson, i'd feel less than confidant with just Collins & Tomkins, especially as it looks increasingly like Lucas Neill won't be returning.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archiv...escott+Request

FOR FUCKS SAKE JOLEON. WAIT 4 FUCKING DAYS UNTIL THE START OF THE SEASON TO HAND IN A REQUEST!

FUCK.

YOBO OUT TO THE AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS TOO. MEANING NO FUCKING CENTRE BACKS. MOYES IS GREAT BUT HE'S NOT A MAGICIAN AND WON'T GET US A REPLACEMENT IF JOLEON BECOMES A PLAYER BEFORE THE ARSENAL GAME. AND EVEN IF HE STAYS FOR THAT, HE'LL BE BOOED

KENWRIGHT OUT

P.S Kirmizi I live with just my Mum and I'm not going to whine about it in a football thread. I'm going to whine about the football! :lol

Yeah, i'm not sure what Lescott was thinking handing in a transfer request - with your lack of CB's and the near imminent start of the season, surely either he or his agent could have forseen that the only thing a transfer request would bring is animosity from the fans? Personally I was hoping Lescott would go to Citeh, but only so Upson wouldn't - it sounds like it'd be pretty bad news for either of our clubs if either of us acceded to Citeh's demands/wads of cash at this point.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Dynoro said:
Hope you get you keep Lescott; he's a damn fine player and I'd hate to see him at Citeh

He's done it now dude.

We're probably gonna keep him through the Arsenal game. We fucking need to, there's no cover. Thing is he'll be booed for handing in the transfer request. He placed it in away in Holland too. Being a pussy.

Wanting to leave is one thing. But delaying your request this fucking long is another. Sure, he can fuck off to his 100 K a week, under the pressure of bluemoon and the like... I really don't care. I care about having only one fit Centre Half when Lescott goes, making us suicide scrap for Arsenal.

Joleon is going to leave now. It is now inevitable when he has come out with the request. It is now a matter of how much, and a matter of WILL WE SIGN DECENT ENOUGH COVER FOR THE GAMES AHEAD?

I mean fuck 4 days before the season. SMH Joleon.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
The rumour atm is 20 million + Jo. That's more than 30 million potentially.

But Moyes, while being excellent, can't pull a premier league established defender who can adapt to our game without a pre season in place of Lescott. Not to mention, we have no senior cover as it is now! :lol

But whatever. Joleon wants to go. He isn't happy here anymore. So its now a matter of what is best. But no matter what offer we get, it is fucking disgraceful to have Arsenal on the 15th and Man City on the 19th with such rattles in our defence.

faridmon

`Moe Joe. said:
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archiv...escott+Request

FOR FUCKS SAKE JOLEON. WAIT 4 FUCKING DAYS UNTIL THE START OF THE SEASON TO HAND IN A REQUEST!

FUCK.

YOBO OUT TO THE AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS TOO. MEANING NO FUCKING CENTRE BACKS. MOYES IS GREAT BUT HE'S NOT A MAGICIAN AND WON'T GET US A REPLACEMENT IF JOLEON BECOMES A PLAYER BEFORE THE ARSENAL GAME. AND EVEN IF HE STAYS FOR THAT, HE'LL BE BOOED

KENWRIGHT OUT

P.S Kirmizi I live with just my Mum and I'm not going to whine about it in a football thread. I'm going to whine about the football! :lol
that's why I said we need a flipping CB, not a midfielder, not an attacker, not right or left back, CENTER BACK.

even if Lescott stays, who is going to be a worthy SUBS for Yobo (who is old and can't flipping run. Also, Africa is draining the poor mans energy) and Jagielka,(Injured and cannot play all me matches for Everton, in PL, EC, Fa cup, Carling cup.....) who the hell can be a center back?, even if Rodwell can play as CB, he does not have enough experience to defend in PL.

we need CB, forget about anything else Moyes.

faridmon

Bootaaay said:
If there is ever again to be any serious discussion about football on this forum, it'll be once those of you who have gone to that other place stay gone, rather than coming back and making oh-so-subtle attempts at trolling - we get it, there aren't enough football fanatic, obsessive compulsive, running commentary providing posters here to keep the football thread in a comparable state to that of last season, and with an OP like that it's hard to forsee the situation improving.
look, we are not trolling for the sake of it. we need a funny thread so people can come back and relax here. If there is trolling is just a joke and nothing else (do you really think I hate Totenham or Arsenal?).

I have been following the football thread for more than 2 years (lurking and have not been bothered to register), and I liked the old posters, mainly because the jokes and insulting reference to other team.s

there have been many times where they have discussed seriously, and this thread can also have serious discussion, if only THERE GAMES TO BE DISCUSSED.

I may confuse with my crappy English but you get you point

if I ma miss understanding you, then you have my apologise, if not then GTFO with your elitism bullcrap

faridmon

`Moe Joe. said:
What?

Anyway I'm tired thinking about it all. I'm going to huddle up until Saturday.
oh crap, he is 28, my bad.

wait.......why does he run like he is old?

how I miss David Weir and Alan Stubbs duo:(

and I don't think Lescott is leaving :)

Believe

If anyone wants to have their football team's fixtures imported into Outlook, Windows Mail, iCal, Entourage etc go look up your team here:

http://sportcal.telegraph.co.uk/calendar/comp:football-premiership/
(sportcal also has other sports and sporting events)

Find your club, and click "Download to Outlook" (on the right hand side of the page)
savecalendar.jpg

For Outlook and most email clients that people use at home or at work you can simply import the ICS file that you download.

If you're on Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you're probably using Windows Live Mail. To get them imported to that:

* First go to calendar.live.com and sign in with your Passport (create one if you don't have one)
* Once you're logged in and looking at your calendar, click Subscribe (near the top between share and delete)
* Click "import from an ICS file"
* Find the file and import it, whether you merge it with your existing calendar is up to you.
* Now in Windows Live Mail, sign yourself in. Voila all your games appear in the calendar.

That might seem really convoluted but syncing with an online calendar means that you can actually use these programs to share calendars / schedules with people you know the way you would your boss or a colleague at work. You can find out when people are free and arrange to meet up, stuff like that.. its potentially pretty nifty

Bootaaay said:

Im just waiting for a post analyzing the ad revenue GAF lost by killing this thread.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
faridmon said:
oh crap, he is 28, my bad.

wait.......why does he run like he is old?

He is as fast as any striker in the premier league. His pace is not an issue. His issue is errors and lack of concentration.

faridmon said:
and I don't think Lescott is leaving :)

Believe

He'll be booed out. If he stays we'll have an unhappy player on our hands. I see Lescott staying for the Arsenal game but man, will he get booed like crazy.

toxk_02

Black Republican
For those wishing to watch the Mexico v USA WC qualifier, NBC Universal is offering the English-language broadcast on mun2 for free today. So even if you normally don't get mun2, today you do.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...tribution-Partners-for-Free-on-August-12.aspx

CHICAGO (Aug. 3, 2009) – An increased number of U.S. Soccer fans around the country will have the opportunity to watch the U.S. Men's National Team's crucial FIFA World Cup qualifier against Mexico on Aug. 12 in English after NBC Universal announced it is offering mun2 as a free preview that day to all distribution partners.

DirecTV and Dish Network have already agreed to unlock mun2 on Aug. 12, providing greater access to the channel to watch the English-language broadcast of the match. Mun2 is currently listed as channel 410 on DirecTV and channel 838 on Dish Network. Fans should check their local listing to confirm channel listings as the above information is subject to change.

I just checked my local Comcast and they have indeed unlocked mun2.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
:lol :lol :lol :lol
Ferdinand with terrible lazy back-pass on edge of box and Kuyt runs around keeper and scores by slotting ball between Terry's legs.

hertog

navanman said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol
Ferdinand with terrible lazy back-pass on edge of box and Kuyt runs around keeper and scores by slotting ball between Terry's legs.

Happy that it's 1-0, but too bad Kuyt was the scorer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom