• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Halo 2 Clan Topic

FiRez

Desperado said:
good games tonight firez, we had a good streak goin on for a while.

Yeah, I was just not feeling it in the last 2 games . I think it was wise to stop at that point
Maybe we can play again.

Nutter

Lancelet Pink said:
Thanks Bungie for adding the semi new maps (turf, sanctuary) to matchmaking, without fixing the modding cheaters. I was playing turf and got modded against these guys were moving around super fast. *sigh*

PINK!, you need to get yourself MSN or AIM, i can never seem to catch you online anymore. :/

number386

Desperado said:
dude pink you disappeared on me, did the humidity kill you? :p

Sorry Desperado my Internet connection went offline, I tried to log back on but it kept giving me the network error, I couldn't connect with my computer to GAF either to let you know what happened. =(

Nutter said:
PINK!, you need to get yourself MSN or AIM, i can never seem to catch you online anymore. :/

I havn't played much this past week, been busy at work pretty busy this week too. =(

Desperado

WTF Bungie. Suddenly I can't hear messages, join parties, enter matchmaking...it says it failed to update blah blah blah...what the hell?

Have I been banned?

Desperado

Goddamnit I even deleted my Halo 2 file from my xbox and redownloaded all the maps and it still won't work! fucking bungie!

EDIT: sonofabitch it started working.

:lol I'm still laughing about the loss to 5 people on containment.

Desperado

Wow now after the autoupdate I've gone to the blue screen 3 times in the middle of the game...when I come out of it I'm the only person left. According to my games played we ended up losing these games. I somehow think I'm not the only one getting kicked in these games...

Desperado

I'd like to know how a guy in France got host in a Ascension Rifles double team game over me. :lol

Oh, and you gotta love it when you kill someone 5 times and he kills you once...you end up with 33-10-15 and he ends up with 9-10-24, and he challenges you to one on one. :lol

Ironclad

Nutter said:
Because everyone has headache's? AM i RITE iron? :lol :D
aspirinforstrokeprevention4px.jpg

Anyway, I haven't played Halo 2 in a while. The play time that I alotted to Halo 2 has been severly cut down. Finally starting to catch up on my backlog. I'm just not that interested in Halo 2 anymore.

hgplayer1

Ironclad_Ninja said:
aspirinforstrokeprevention4px.jpg

Anyway, I haven't played Halo 2 in a while. The play time that I alotted to Halo 2 has been severly cut down. Finally starting to catch up on my backlog. I'm just not that interested in Halo 2 anymore.

no kidding? that explains why you were always playing some other game when you were online in Halo :lol

Ive been enjoying Halo again post AU. I kinda wish we could get some clan matches and see whats that like again.

hgplayer1 said:
Ive been enjoying Halo again post AU. I kinda wish we could get some clan matches and see whats that like again.

At the clan's current level of teamwork I imagine it involves a lot of bending over and grabbing of ankles.

Nutter

Mr. Lemming said:
At the clan's current level of teamwork I imagine it involves a lot of bending over and grabbing of ankles.
Wait, What clan is this..... ?

HG and you are the only ones in Neo right?

Ironclad

hgplayer1 said:
no kidding? that explains why you were always playing some other game when you were online in Halo :lol

My backlog has reached critical mass. If I don't get to it now, it's going to overload and my entire house is going to meltdown. I CANT be interested in Halo 2. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
In case you guys haven't found out yet, there's a new form of cheating that's been spreading throughout matchmaking recently called "selective standby". The host can find out a player's IP address using their own computer and lag them out of the game.

Desperado

Desperado said:
Wow now after the autoupdate I've gone to the blue screen 3 times in the middle of the game...when I come out of it I'm the only person left. According to my games played we ended up losing these games. I somehow think I'm not the only one getting kicked in these games...

I think ^^ was selective standby.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cerrius said:
In case you guys haven't found out yet, there's a new form of cheating that's been spreading throughout matchmaking recently called "selective standby". The host can find out a player's IP address using their own computer and lag them out of the game.

so you mean i now have an excuse for losing now? SWEET

Chittagong

Gold Member
Okay guys, thanks to your tips I've managed to bump my accuracy up to an consant 30-40%, which is enough for all purposes now.

Now I'd need a couple of things to help me with some stuff that really pisses me of:

- Head-to-Head combat with melee attack: I really suck in this. About 9 out of 10 times when playing against skilled players, they knock me silly with one smack. I almost never manage to take them out. When I get a clear hit, it still might take many punches to kill them.

- Head-to-Head combat against single SMG (!!!): even though I'm dual-wielding two weapons and keep target red, hitting the opponent all the time, good players manage to kill me in an eyeblink with a single SMG. Talk about humiliation.

- Noob combo: any more tips on how to improve this? Usually I end up walking with the green bolt on the end of my gun for a while, then when I meet an enemy, I unleash the bolt and then a quick shot, but I'm not effective at all, many times missing or not getting their shields down otherwise, getting killed. Is it just accuracy?

- Quick U-turn: Is there a way to turn quickly around? I'm almost sure I've seen some top players turn a lot quicker than what I seem to be able to do.

- Getting beaten by 27 - 35 players in every game: I haven't played a single game without some players at ranks starting from 27. Suffice to say, they kick my ass big time. Would be great to play against similar ranks as myself (17). I'm playing mostly Team Preview and Rumble Preview in Optimatch.

Oh, and Covenant Carbine rocks. What a great weapon I've long neglected!

number386

Chittagong said:
Okay guys, thanks to your tips I've managed to bump my accuracy up to an consant 30-40%, which is enough for all purposes now.

Now I'd need a couple of things to help me with some stuff that really pisses me of:

- Head-to-Head combat with melee attack: I really suck in this. About 9 out of 10 times when playing against skilled players, they knock me silly with one smack. I almost never manage to take them out. When I get a clear hit, it still might take many punches to kill them.

- Head-to-Head combat against single SMG (!!!): even though I'm dual-wielding two weapons and keep target red, hitting the opponent all the time, good players manage to kill me in an eyeblink with a single SMG. Talk about humiliation.

- Noob combo: any more tips on how to improve this? Usually I end up walking with the green bolt on the end of my gun for a while, then when I meet an enemy, I unleash the bolt and then a quick shot, but I'm not effective at all, many times missing or not getting their shields down otherwise, getting killed. Is it just accuracy?

- Quick U-turn: Is there a way to turn quickly around? I'm almost sure I've seen some top players turn a lot quicker than what I seem to be able to do.

- Getting beaten by 27 - 35 players in every game: I haven't played a single game without some players at ranks starting from 27. Suffice to say, they kick my ass big time. Would be great to play against similar ranks as myself (17). I'm playing mostly Team Preview and Rumble Preview in Optimatch.

Oh, and Covenant Carbine rocks. What a great weapon I've long neglected!

1.You only get killed with one melee attack when they are behind you. Sounds like they melee you first jump out of the way or rotate around you and melee you again. Try to always keep them in front of you, and jumping melees do more damage

2.Sounds like they probably chuck a grenade at you and finish you off with a couple of shots from the SMG. Keep your eyes out for grenades they are deadly.

3. Shoot the PP when the reticule is targeted on them, if it's not the PP shot will not home in on them and miss. Also when they are very close after PPing them dont switch to the BR just melee them.

4. Go to the controller setting and change your calibration to a higher setting to turn quicker. The downside to this is that on a very high setting it is harder to snipe, and aim with other weapons like the BR. I use the 4 setting.

5. Matchmaking (team preview) should not match you with players with levels that much more above you. You probably are in a party with level 27-35 players. Try playing with friends your level or go solo and you should be matched with players your level.

If your up for some games send a friend request my gamertag is lancelet pink.
:)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I'll give it some days of more practice before humiliating myself in GAF games :)

Regarding the melee attack, if only backside hits kill at once, it might be then so that they actually go past me and really quick hit me on the back to kill me instantly, with the higher calibration. It just seems like I'd die in an eyeblink...

I didn't know actually about the calibration opportunity, damn I knew those manuals were handy for something!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh. My. God. Tried the sensitivity setting 4 just for one game, I'm totally reborn. I can actually turn around quickly and defend my self. Just with that one tip, my result in a similar setting was 18-11-19. Although we were playing King of the Hill, it was still waaaaaaay better than before. Thank you so much!!!!

Chittagong

Gold Member
For the rankings thing... I'm not in any party - it seems that the I'm set to play with similar ranks within the playlist type. This means that every time there are some really skilled players who haven't been playing the particular playlist before, and hence fit into the rankings bracket and slaugher everybody. Then after the match, when I check "Recent Players", I see that their real rank isn't low at all, but in the mentioned range instead. Really sucks.

hgplayer1

wow I havent played Halo in days! I was thinking about picking up GR2:SS but I doubt anyone will be online with that game for very long so I might get me some Halo action tonight.

number386

Chittagong said:
For the rankings thing... I'm not in any party - it seems that the I'm set to play with similar ranks within the playlist type. This means that every time there are some really skilled players who haven't been playing the particular playlist before, and hence fit into the rankings bracket and slaugher everybody. Then after the match, when I check "Recent Players", I see that their real rank isn't low at all, but in the mentioned range instead. Really sucks.

Sorry, I forgot about that. The rank shown in the "recent players" is their highest rank. Each gametype has seperate ranks a lot of high ranked people who care about their stats play "team preview" when they arn't feeling it, or dont have friends to play Team Slayer or Team Skirmish with them at that time. They dont care about Team preview stats because it's going to be deleted in a couple of months. Both T slayer, and T skirmish should have people closer to your level overall.

Hey, I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I've still been playing Halo 2 on xbox live; think someone could add me to the clan? My gamertag is: Tad Chocolate. I'd appreciate it, I can't tell you how many times I went online wondering why no one from gaf was on, only to find out now that we changed clans.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was a cry baby and posted a rant about the disappointing match making system in Bungie official forum. My five cents towards a better Xbox 360 Halo - here's my original post:

First things first - I'm an almost noob (best level 17) and yes, I'm complaining of getting my arse kicked all the time.

I really, really love Halo 2 on Live. I even got the Multiplayer Map Pack. However, recently I've started to enjoy it less and less. The reason is that I can't get any sense of achievement - my ass is kicked over and over.

The problem is, in my opinion, in the matchmaking system - it considers your level only within a playlist type, instead of considering the players overall abilities (best level). This means that in every playlist, minus maybe Big Team Battle, there are a lot of very skilled players with low ranks on the particular playlist. These players totally dominate the game.

How does this look for fun matchmaking - look at my best rank and the ranks of other players. Do you think I stood a chance? Nope, I didn't.

chhalo2matchmaking0jp.jpg

This is clearly a Game Design choice and the Lead Designer has obviously thought this through - there must be a rationale to why the matchmaking works this way.

While I admire the overall design of Halo 2, I must say that this is a major letdown, and something I really, really hope is addressed with Xbox 360 and the overall player skill rankings.

To me Halo is about fun, and not standing a chance in hell is NOT fun.

[/end rant]

hgplayer1

I dont have a problem with matchmaking. I dont mind playing against people that are at a much higher level than me. most of them do the same shit anyway. noob combo and snipe. sure most of them are a lot better at the game than I am but whenever Im in a team game I feel like there are ways to overcome that if the team plays well together. the problem I have with Halo online is there are too many idiots that arent even there to play. they go on just to bitch about whatever map happens to pop up, or that matchmaking didnt make a perfect match.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Chittagong,

Practice double melee press B, X then B again. The trick is not to do it too fast and not to do it too slow. Practice on 2nd player until you get it down pat.

A good way to warm up before you play a game is to set you sens to 10, and play a few games like that then move back down to 4, I find this helps you warm up.

Stop being hard on yourself. The more you come down on yourself the more you will detest the game. Ranks don't mean shit and that's a fact so don't worry about them.

Learn from your mistakes. If you see that you rush into conflicts with the other team without backup then try to change your play style and ask for backup from time to time.

Play a lot with the BR. It will improve your aim, and you should see you get more kills after you get use to it. Shoot them 3 times on their body then once on their head. Pump the trigger and get a feel for how the gun shoots.

Learn how to use grenades. If you find yourself being ambushed when you go around a corner always throw a grenade in before walking into it. What this does is if someone is waiting for you around the corner you would have done some damage to them which will provide a better chance of you getting a kill.

Use the sound to your advantage most of the time you can tell where someone is just by keeping your ear open for footsteps, or even someone reloading their weapon. If your sound setup is shit invest in some decent headphones.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Chittagong

Gold Member
GeoNeo said:
Chittagong,

Practice double melee press B, X then B again. The trick is not to do it too fast and not to do it too slow. Practice on 2nd player until you get it down pat.

A good way to warm up before you play a game is to set you sens to 10, and play a few games like that then move back down to 4, I find this helps you warm up.

Stop being hard on yourself. The more you come down on yourself the more you will detest the game. Ranks don't mean shit and that's a fact so don't worry about them.

Learn from your mistakes. If you see that you rush into conflicts with the other team without backup then try to change your play style and ask for backup from time to time.

Play a lot with the BR. It will improve your aim, and you should see you get more kills after you get use to it. Shoot them 3 times on their body then once on their head. Pump the trigger and get a feel for how the gun shoots.

Learn how to use grenades. If you find yourself being ambushed when you go around a corner always throw a grenade in before walking into it. What this does is if someone is waiting for you around the corner you would have done some damage to them which will provide a better chance of you getting a kill.

Use the sound to your advantage most of the time you can tell where someone is just by keeping your ear open for footsteps, or even someone reloading their weapon. If your sound setup is shit invest in some decent headphones.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks! Excellent advice, I'll get onto it right away. BR is something I definately need to practice, and the double melee, never heard of such - need to try it out!

I think learning the BR will help me with the noob combo too, since that first bolt seems to be the hardest for me to land for some reason. Some guys I see manage to land every bolt, so it's definately a skill that can be practiced.

Grenades I'm familiar with, they're brilliant. Most satisfying is to get a stuck medal with the plasma grenade. Surround sound is a must, too - I've been saved many endless times from trouble just by listening. Also in maps with low visibility, such as Turf, navigating towards gunshots is a good way to help your team mates out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Haha, worst moment in Halo 2 ever.

I was playing Team Slayer on Terminal. I got rockets. The team playing against us gathered together in the beginning and three of their guys ran into the tunnels. I was waiting just outside the tunnels at some distance with the rockets, ready to fire a sure Triple Kill. They all three came perfectly simultaneously, I pull the trigger - just to see that a dumbass from our team decides to be a cowboy, jumps right past me to take on the three guys alone. The rocket hits him and kills me, too. It's my betrayal, of course. My kills: -2.

In the next game I pulled it off nicely, however.

Drakken

Since not many people from Neo GAF still play, would someone mind sending me an invite to the other clan (unless, of course, that's not active as well :p)? My gamertag is Drakken688.

rs7k

KingV said:
If anyone ever wants to play, my gamertag is King Vitaman.

I'll add you. I'm new to Live, and I don't have a headset yet. Will have one soon though. I hate when people talk to me, and I can't say anything :(

Top Bottom