• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Though this is the lowest Wii month yet, I think it still makes for an interesting GameCube comparison, in that GameCube only ever sold more than this in November and December.
Ether_Snake said:
The worst in all this is how this will affect the market's expansion. If Sony is out, MS will NOT have the brand-recognition to keep on attracting more people to game world. Whenever people go buy a TV, a Laptop, etc., they are also exposed to the Playstation brand. MS has a lot more difficulties to get new people into the gaming market, most of their "converts" are from the PC gaming scene, they are not new gamers.

Nintendo alone can't do it, the Sony/Nintendo scene is what is responsible for making the market continue to expand as it has until now.
11 years ago couldn't you have said that Sony hadn't been responsible for growing the gaming market, either? It has to start somewhere.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's the funny part.

Hindsight is 20/20.

5 years down the line when we are talking about "what did sony do wrong?" After coming fresh from the highest selling console ever made and the highest attach ratio ever seen on a console to the PS3.

There is no doubt that what happened from its price announcement from E3 2006 onwards will be broken down an analyzed from here to eternity.
It's funny how everybody is talking as if Sony has already failed. Sure, the launch of the PS3 pretty much sucked, it doesn't mean that the rest of its life will be bad. You never know, maybe the PS3 will gain a "Halo" that will spark its sales above the rest.

I think it will be better if we all wait a year before making judgments. In think it's still way too early to predict the future of the PS3...

Ether_Snake said:
As for the PS3's future, I do want a price cut, but they have to announce one SOON.

OMG, we agree on something
Eyecrazy.gif

Kintaro said:
This is a funny post considering 1) your avatar and 2) Kojima saying he loves to have BR to work with. :)

I'm giving it some time. Who knows what can happen in 2-3 years time. The PS3 could be dead by then, or Sony drops the zelbomben and drops the price to $250, blows the roof off, and still make a profit on the consoles. Who knows.

I don't think sony could price the PS3 at $250 they would be bleeding more money then MS did on the X box. I could see the PS3 at $400 to $500 only.
I think the Wii will be 1 this gen
the PS3 and 360 fighting for 2

xabre

Banned
Crysis has a 6gb install size btw. Stalker is about the same. Oblivion is a bit less.

This is not the PS1 era, audio isn't constrained to PCM, video isn't limited by MPEG1. You can store a hell of a lot of content on a single DVD9.

Blu-Ray is completely overkill at this point in time, simple as that. I've said it before too and it's nice to be proven right.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoku88 said:
It's funny how everybody is talking as if Sony has already failed. Sure, the launch of the PS3 pretty much sucked, it doesn't mean that the rest of its life will be bad. You never know, maybe the PS3 will gain a "Halo" that will spark its sales above the rest.

I think it will be better if we all wait a year before making judgments. In think it's still way too early to predict the future of the PS3...

It doesn't matter because it came stumbling at the gates, and so far the momentum isn't in Sony's favor. The fact that Sony did have a bad launch after the most successful console of all time is lots of material to digest and analyze. Even if they end up being a huge success, the launch is good material to use on WHAT NOT TO DO starting off in a marathon.

Arsenal

Ether_Snake said:
I'm pretty sure they can't win the format war by losing the console one.

Just because Blu-Ray beats HD-DVD in sales, doesn't mean it sells a lot. DVD is still king and will remain as such for a long time.

I agree, they ultimately have to beat DVD to win the format war and not become the next laser disc. Its still an uproad climb for them and a few mil consoles isn't going to be enough if they can't start selling stand alone players.

zoku88

xabre said:
Crysis has a 6gb install size btw. Stalker is about the same. Oblivion is a bit less.

This is not the PS1 era, audio isn't constrained to PCM, video isn't limited by MPEG1. You can store a hell of a lot of content on a single DVD9.

Blu-Ray is completely overkill at this point in time, simple as that. I've said it before too and it's nice to be proven right.
I'm not sure if you can use those examples as proof...

I doubt you fully understand WHY those games are so small and why PS3 games like Resistance are so big. I doubt it's more than the developers "being lazy" as some people like to put it. I still believe that it has something to do with the limitations of game consoles in some way...

Arsenal said:
I agree, they ultimately have to beat DVD to win the format war and not become the next laser disc. Its still an uproad climb for them and a few mil consoles isn't going to be enough if they can't start selling stand alone players.

It would certainly help some when stand alone players are finally cheaper than the best Blu-ray player (PS3), than the other way around.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
zoku88 said:

Thank you lordie. Flash back to the 360's first year. Same kinds of threads, same comments.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sonic4ever said:
I don't think sony could price the PS3 at $250 they would be bleeding more money then MS did on the X box. I could see the PS3 at $400 to $500 only.
I think the Wii will be 1 this gen
the PS3 and 360 fighting for 2

YOU ARE THE TIME TRAVELER!!!

quest

Not Banned from OT
zoku88 said:

I doubt you fully understand WHY those games are so small and why PS3 games like Resistance are so big. I doubt it's more than the developers "being lazy" as some people like to put it. I still believe that it has something to do with the limitations of game consoles in some way...

It is building the game around a platform. A pc developer is going to keep games to around a dvd size. A ps3 only developer will use things like uncompressed sound and lots of mpeg2 video since they have extra space. The problem is because of slow sales the 360 is going to be the lead platform this generation. Once that happens dvd will be the target for every mulitconsole developer. It will render blue ray useless except for first and second party games and the occasional 3rd party exclusive. I am sure many bean counters love that fact because to fill space with content it costs money.

Odysseus

Banned
Mrbob said:
PS3 needs a price cut to $399.99 stat. Skip $499.99 all together.

And then $299.99 Fall 08.

that's the type of move that could get sony back into this, and i'm still not sure it would be enough. microsoft would most assuredly answer and while sony would certainly be healthier (sales-wise), they would still find themselves looking up. it would be a welcome move, though.

but nevermind that because it is just impossible.

xabre

Banned
zoku88 said:

Why not?

I doubt you fully understand WHY those games are so small and why PS3 games like Resistance are so big.

Tell me then.

I still believe that it has something to do with the limitations of game consoles in some way...

In that case the games should take up significantly less space, not more. PS3 is RAM limited compared with PCs.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:

:lol The damn console box would come with corporate blood on it if this were to ever happen.

Grecco

zoku88 said:

If by Jan 08, PS3 is still in third place. Is that the point where we are able to call the race? or will we have to wait another year, and another?

Were already in the 5th month of having all 3 consoles on the market, its not like its been just "30 days"

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
It doesn't matter because it came stumbling at the gates, and so far the momentum isn't in Sony's favor. The fact that Sony did have a bad launch after the most successful console of all time is lots of material to digest and analyze. Even if they end up being a huge success, the launch is good material to use on WHAT NOT TO DO starting off in a marathon.
I certainly agree with that one. I'm not sure what they were thinking of when they launched the PS3. Way too expensive.

I'm just saying that there's a limit to how much you can use the data available now to determine the future of the PS3. How many consoles have stagnant momentums, after all?

Hcoregamer00

Odysseus said:
that's the type of move that could get sony back into this, and i'm still not sure it would be enough. microsoft would most assuredly answer and while sony would certainly be healthier (sales-wise), they would still find themselves looking up. it would be a welcome move, though.

but nevermind that because it is just impossible.

Two words, Playstation Portable.

Sony has shown us that they weren't willing to cut the price once DS started pulling forward. Now we see that the DS has smashed the PSP in Europe and Japan with the USA market being the only place where the two have comparable sales.

They could have retained the American market and kept this market in their court.

Mrbob said:

Sorry Mrbob in not going to happening.....if we do see a price cut this Fall it will be $499.99 or if we are lucky 399.99. then MS would put the 360 down to 299.99 for the 360 elite and the 360 Platinum System at $199.99 but I know that not happening also.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Even if MS lowered the price, the PS3 simply needs a good price, it doesn't have to be sold in Crackerjack boxes.

goldenpp72

People in here seem to be insinuating that sony just charges as much as they do to make you mad, if they dropped the price they would probably be putting themselves in a danger zone, microsoft and sony would probably rather keep their prices the same right now.

zoku88

xabre said:
Why not?

Tell me then.

In that case the games should take up significantly less space, not more. PS3 is RAM limited compared with PCs.
The why not part was the next sentence...

I can't tell you, that was kind of the point of that sentence which is why I didn't make any assertions.

I wouldn't know the limitations of the PS3 compared to PCs when talking about gaming. I'm sure the devs know better than we do. The devs seem to disagree about the usefulness of blu-ray, but I'd take their word over almost anyone's word in here. I doubt many people here have the expertise to talk in-depth about such things.

Norse

YYZ said:
wow @ people ready to jump ship, have a good swim I say. We're heading off to the promised land, just be patient :)

This is just a small part of the bigger picture, Sony will prevail and only the faithful will benefit.

[/end fanboy slant]

LOL...good stuff...I thought I was reading the script to StarGate Atlantis. hehe

zoku88 said:

Is it too early to predict the future of a snowball once it's started rolling downhill?

Odysseus

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Sony has shown us that they weren't willing to cut the price once DS started pulling forward. Now we see that the DS has smashed the PSP in Europe and Japan with the USA market being the only place where the two have comparable sales.

They could have retained the American market and kept this market in their court.

i agree, their complacency with psp was and still is disturbing. you just hope that same complacency doesn't set in with ps3.

quest

Not Banned from OT
goldenpp72 said:
People in here seem to be insinuating that sony just charges as much as they do to make you mad, if they dropped the price they would probably be putting themselves in a danger zone, microsoft and sony would probably rather keep their prices the same right now.

No people are insinuationg sony is charging what they are out of greed. They are trying to use videogamers to win a movie format war. They got greedy thought they could charge what ever price they wanted and gamers would eat it up. If sony would of stuck with a non-blue ray PS3 at 399 or less it would be kicking the crap out of MS and probably killed a lot of the Wiis momentum. Lets not forget the Wiis momentum did not start to build until MS uttered the magic words of 599 dollars.

zoku88

Grecco said:
If by Jan 08, PS3 is still in third place. Is that the point where we are able to call the race? or will we have to wait another year, and another?

Were already in the 5th month of having all 3 consoles on the market, its not like its been just "30 days"
Well, I don't think you can really call a race until its near the end, but by that time, you should have a pretty good idea of who the winner is.

I was thinking about getting out of the typical post-launch drought. I have no problems with people predicting future trends in x360 success.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think they didn't drop the PSP price maybe to cushion the blow of the PS3 price. Still, they can't treat the products the same...they can't afford to.

But they probably will.

zoku88

miguel_c_hammer said:
Is it too early to predict the future of a snowball once it's started rolling downhill?
You never know if a big boulder could change the course of the snowball somewhere along the way :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
zoku88 said:
I certainly agree with that one. I'm not sure what they were thinking of when they launched the PS3. Way too expensive.

I'm just saying that there's a limit to how much you can use the data available now to determine the future of the PS3. How many consoles have stagnant momentums, after all?

I know enough to say that no eventual market leader gets outsold by another 6:1 in their homeland when the console selling six times as much is supply restrained. I honestly think that we know plenty as of now.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think they didn't drop the PSP price maybe to cushion the blow of the PS3 price. Still, they can't treat the products the same...they can't afford to.

But they probably will.

Aye, the PSP is actually making them money on hardware.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Odysseus said:
the whole thing would have to be revisited

sony should have stayed at the bargaining table with toshiba long enough to work out a deal on the hi-def movie wars and left the ps3 out of it. then the sce guys should have budgeted for a system they could sell for $300 without losing an arm and leg while doing it. but that's hindsight, and there's no changing the past. the current ps3 is what they are going to have to live with and somehow figure out a way to make it work.

The whole Toshiba and Sony relationship meltdown is really bizzare. Remember Toshiba helped design the PS2 hardware and was heavily involved in CELL's development. It was rumored Toshiba was working on a GPU for the PS3 and were shellshocked to learn Sony went to nVidia to provide a GPU.

Hcoregamer00

Odysseus said:
i agree, their complacency with psp was and still is disturbing. you just hope that same complacency doesn't set in with ps3.

It took them a long time to get the price of the base PSP to $169.99, if they had done this last Fall or when the DS lite came out then the PSP would likely be neck and neck with the DS. If that wasn't enough, they continue to release the PSP with bad advertising that doesn't get the point across that well and there is a strong lack of first party titles.

They got a damn good lineup for the PSP that is arguably better than what the DS has, yet they are not doing a thing about it to make people buy the console.

The PSP had the chance to keep the DS at bay in at least the American market. Now with pokemon coming out this sunday, and with the DS selling 500,000 on a dead month there is no way that the PSP could ever catch up. Miracles may happen, but the PSP doesn't have a prayer.

Odysseus

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

But they probably will.

that's part of what i think as well, ps2 and psp were being used to offset ps3. but i think that was shortsighted, because psp had a real chance in the portable space, at least in north america. prior to ds lite, sales between the two were even. the last few months have put quite a bit of distance between the two.

i guess that's what so puzzling about sony and microsoft's gaming efforts, they don't seem so interested in winning anything, they have other objectives. the days of old where companies just wanted to put out the best gaming system and software seem to be gone.

well, i guess there's still nintendo.

and waggle.

like i said, the glory days are gone.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
that's the type of move that could get sony back into this, and i'm still not sure it would be enough. microsoft would most assuredly answer and while sony would certainly be healthier (sales-wise), they would still find themselves looking up. it would be a welcome move, though. but nevermind that because it is just impossible.
But keeping it realistic - a $299 (premium) 360 would still sell better than a $499 PS3. So Sony would build their base but still fall further behind.

castle007

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Nintendo DS 508K
PlayStation Portable 180K

?????

So basically next month Nintendo drops the Pokebomb and all the Wii units it held back this month after meeting their targets early. It also has SPM and Golden Week in Japan for which we're pretty sure they've been stockpiling Wiis for some time.

Rise to heaven.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You shouldn't hate Nintendo. Even if you don't agree with what they want gaming to be, at least they were able to put out a gaming console at a fair price that accomplishes their goal without microtransactions (VC aside), faulty hardware, bald space marines, etc.

zoku88

Agent Icebeezy said:
I know enough to say that no eventual market leader gets outsold by another 6:1 in their homeland when the console selling six times as much is supply restrained. I honestly think that we know plenty as of now.
Hmm, I just prefer not to make what I consider to be "hasty judgments." For me, I could just as easily see the Wii being the best-selling console this gen as it having a sudden drop of interest from the public.

Norse

Mrbob said:

I woder what Sony's blu ray partners would say to that....the cheapest blu ray player is 799 I think right now....selling a ps3 at 399 right now might ruffle some partners feathers. Wonder if sony had to promise notto sell ps3 below a certain price to keep partners selling blu ray players happy?

Not to mention the 100's of millins they would add to the already ugly losses the ps3 is costing them.

Even if ps3 fails, it wont be any worse owning one than last gens xbox. It will still have good games and enough exclusives for the owners to enjoy.

goldenpp72

It's useless to bring up that sony could have removed blu ray, because it isn't gonna happen. Dvd drives can't play blu rays, thus removing it would destroy the ps3s lineup in a literal sense as well as discredit the developers backing it (kojima, insomniac) and basically make sony look stupid.

But it won't happen, id go as far as to say it couldn't ever happen. Luckily for sony, the most advanced tech can drop in price someday.

Ps3 is a long term investment that sony can't really alter anymore then they have.

Odysseus

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
You shouldn't hate Nintendo. Even if you don't agree with what they want gaming to be, at least they were able to put out a gaming console at a fair price that accomplishes their goal without microtransactions (VC aside), faulty hardware, bald space marines, etc.

oh, i don't hate nintendo and a lot of what i say is tongue in cheek. but it is true that i don't particularly like nintendo games, and waggle just isn't my thing. if third parties jumped on board with wii with compelling content and allowed usage of the gamecube controller as an option, i could see myself buying a wii.

i do like that nintendo is out there, though, hopefully providing sony and microsoft with a firm reality check as to what the gaming market is really all about. they can still fight their war for the living room and try to achieve their overall objectives, but don't make it so obvious that gaming isn't their primary concern. if you are going to use the games industry as your trojan horses, the least you could do is keep gamers happy and in the fold.

Kintaro said:
YOU ARE THE TIME TRAVELER!!!
No I am using logic. Nintendo has the lowest costing system to produce, so they can get the system to masses at the lowest price. If Sony wanted to do the price matching game, they are going to be bleeding alot of money. All these features that the hardcore gamers love cost alot of money. I am pretty sure Sony doens't want to lose alot of money. MS ddin't like it either with the original X-box. That is why with the X-box 360, MS used more off the shelf parts. Only way Sony can become domainit is to get the PS3 at $300 or under. That is why I say Nintendo will win this generation, and Sony and Microsoft will be fighting for second place.

Top Bottom