• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Offseason Thread of LOL Leafs and other loser teams in memory of Manics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
I've despised the Leafs for years. The past few years have been a bit better, because I honestly just saw them as a non-factor most of the time, and the fans died down with all of their blind faith. Now, I'm actually impressed with the moves that Burke is making. If he can spend the next year or two getting some forwards to play in front of their goalie and dmen, they could be a good team. Of course, by then the annoying fans will come back, and I will likely despise them all over again.

Alucard

Banned
Spl1nter said:
So ironic coming from a pens fan.

Not bashing you Alucard it just is.

I figured someone would point it out, so it's cool. Cue...

fdfd7da9424c91005930b327049d.jpeg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NHL submits ITS OWN bid to buy Phoenix Coyotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288798

PHOENIX -- The NHL has filed a bid in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes and keep the team in Arizona.

Deputy NHL commissioner Bill Daly said in a news release Tuesday that the league took the action "to maximize the likelihood that the club ultimately will be sold to an acceptable purchaser who is committed to operating the franchise in Glendale."

The release did not say how much the league was offering to buy the team, which is scheduled to be sold at auction on Sept. 10.

Daly said that if the bid is successful, the league intends to sell the team to a third party outside of the bankruptcy process.

"We believe this step is necessary at this time in order to best preserve and maximize the value of the club asset for the benefit of the club's creditors and for the community of Glendale," Daly said.

The move marks a significant shift in the NHL's tactics. The league had backed a planned bid by a group headed by Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of baseball's Chicago White Sox and the NBA's Chicago Bulls. Another group of investors, under the name Ice Edge, was considering making a bid.

Daly said the NHL would "remain supportive of the other efforts that have been made and are being made to purchase and operate the Coyotes in Glendale."

Any offer to keep the team in Arizona is expected to be far less than the US$212.5 million Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie has offered, contingent on immediately moving the franchise to Hamilton.

"The bankruptcy petition and subsequent events have been incredibly damaging to the club's business," Daly said, "and the sooner the club can be extricated from the bankruptcy process, the sooner club personnel can begin to restore the team's vitality and local fan base."

The NHL's announcement came as another flood of documents were filed in the case, including one by Balsillie challenging the league's stand that it would be impossible to move the team for the coming season.

On Monday, Balsillie filed an amended purchase agreement that included a provision allowing him to walk away from the sale if the contentious issues in the case aren't resolved in his favour by Sept. 14.

Balsillie, the co-CEO of Research in Motion, the company that makes the Blackberry, wants Judge Redfield T. Baum to overturn the NHL board of governors' 26-0 vote rejecting him as Coyotes owner. He also wants the court to determine a relocation fee if the NHL refuses to do so.

A hearing on those issues and others is set for Sept. 2.

The NHL and Balsillie have been locked in a bitter court fight since Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes took the team into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, to the surprise of the league, on May 5, with the plan to sell the team to Balsillie.

The NHL and city of Glendale contend the move was done in a "scheme" to sidestep the normal league rules for transfer of ownership and relocation of a franchise. Balsillie has failed in previous efforts to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators.

This story just gets more insane by the week.

So, the NHL was in full support of Reinsdorf's bid and then goes ahead and submits its OWN bid? It makes absolutely zero sense.

fallout

A high-level Maple Leaf Foods executive has been caught on camera joking about last year's listeriosis outbreak that killed 22 people.

Rory McAlpine, vice-president of government and industry relations with the food giant, was speaking at the Couchiching Institute of Public Affairs Conference in Orillia on Aug. 8 when he delivered a quip about the outbreak, with a punchline even he now says was tasteless.

"Just shortly after the (listeria) crisis ... the Stanley Cup came to Orillia," he tells the crowd on a video that has made its way to the YouTube video hosting site. "There was a woman so excited that she went and she kissed the Stanley Cup. But then she got home and she began to worry and she began to wonder, `Oh my God, am I going to get listeria, I kissed the Stanley Cup.'

"So she phoned up Health Canada and the nice lady at Health Canada said, `Oh, no, no, no, no, you don't need to worry. The Stanley Cup hasn't been in any contact with a Maple Leaf product for 42 years."
http://www.thestar.com/article/685958

Smash88 said:
:lol

I think you better watch those tapes prior to the lockout again kiddo.

Dude you are the worst fan ever. I don't care what team you cheered for. It's lame to jump ship and start cheering for another team.

If you came aboard my team's bandwagon, I'd knock you out and send you back from where you came.

You are now the biggest tool in this thread and have moved Malakhov to the #2 spot.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
so the NHL is bidding for something they supposedly already own?

wooooowwwww I hope Baum destroys them for this one

X26

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Well why bid now. The NHL will find a way to steal the team. Then after they lose millions again next year, Reinsdorf's group can buy them even cheaper.

Maybe that's the whole point of this. NHL buys team and resells to reinsdorf immediately on the cheap

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
X26 said:
Maybe that's the whole point of this. NHL buys team and resells to reinsdorf immediately on the cheap

If this happens I'll be furious.

fallout

X26 said:
That was my line of thinking as well. I don't claim to understand this whole clusterfuck, but the NHL won't approve Balsillie owning the team and bankruptcy court isn't going to go to the next lowest bidder. Seems like the best solution for the NHL board.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't think Reinsdorf is gonna buy the team without a re-worked lease and I don't think the city of Glendale will be in too much pressure to re-work a lease, in which they're currently entitled to $700 million if the team is moved, if the Coyotes get an owner, even if that owner is the NHL.

baultista

Banned
Since we're on the topic of bandwagoning fans, I just thought I'd point out that I've been a Blue Jackets fan since Ron Tugnutt played with the team :lol

Manics

Banned
Alucard said:
I've despised the Leafs for years. The past few years have been a bit better, because I honestly just saw them as a non-factor most of the time, and the fans died down with all of their blind faith. Now, I'm actually impressed with the moves that Burke is making. If he can spend the next year or two getting some forwards to play in front of their goalie and dmen, they could be a good team. Of course, by then the annoying fans will come back, and I will likely despise them all over again.

34gmuxt.jpg

Smash88

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
Dude you are the worst fan ever. I don't care what team you cheered for. It's lame to jump ship and start cheering for another team.

If you came aboard my team's bandwagon, I'd knock you out and send you back from where you came.

You are now the biggest tool in this thread and have moved Malakhov to the #2 spot.

Wow, dude calm down, never knew people would get all butt hurt over this. Anyways, why should you care what I do? If you don't like it, ignore it. Calling me a tool? Are you serious? :lol Only person I see as close of a tool to Malakhov is you.

I made that decision and I'm sticking to it. I know I have picked the Pens, and I'm sticking to them, it was a tough decision to start cheering for another team, don't think I just go around jumping from the next great team to the next, it was the first time. I know who and what the Leafs are. How am I a bad fan, for not liking a team that represents my city? Who also has no respects for their fans? At least the Pens (even when they were losing) would still respect their fans (or try to). Next time you go around calling people a tool, look at yourself.

Oh and what team are you cheering for? Maybe I'll hope on? :lol

Calm down, I was kidding, ffs - wouldn't want you to get a hernia.

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
NHL's bid for the Coyotes is apparently $140M.

So they ended up bidding more than $70 million LESS than Balsillie? As I said earlier, I hope the judge laughs in their face.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:

So they ended up bidding more than $70 million LESS than Balsillie? As I said earlier, I hope the judge laughs in their face.
And the NHL isn't asking to restructure the lease either..... :lol

Smash88

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
And the NHL isn't asking to restructure the lease either..... :lol

It's weird that the NHL is pushing hockey in Arizona, when clearly no one cares about the team. I remember watching some videos of those SUV's for radio stations/tv stations having a symbol for each team except for their NHL team. Apparently nobody could give a hoot that they exist. So why not let them transfer to somewhere where they will get respected as a team representing their city/state/province? It's like they hate Canada (the biggest hockey lovers) and they don't want more teams to be added that are based from Canada? Guess, Bettman hates us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom