• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox NCAA 2006 Thread! Season I: Madden 2005.5 (pick teams inside!)

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Michigan (Gstaff) beat Iowa (Me) at the Big House 40-21. I had five interceptions. I suck at passing. Looks like i'll be running a lot of drills to get better.

remember fellas i'll be roughly updating once a week (probably sunday mornings, which is truly my only day off in the week). i have been receiving your forwards and have been entering the data as i go along.

p.s. CP i did receive the forward from gstaff for your guys' first game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Does anyone want to beat my shitty Houston Cougars? I'm waiting around while FMT eats his dinner before I play him,was wondering if anyone wants to get a free W?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cool,btw lone I dont have a mic.

newsguy

Ramirez said:
You around?Sorry had to go do something real quick,Im ready now if you're here.

You're on the forums,reply! :p

Hey, I wasn't on the forums, it showed me logged in cause I had the screen minimized (I'm at work). I tried to look you up on IM at 8 but it showed you weren't logged on. Because I'm at work, the window for me to play is tiny, but I'll sacrifice sleep tonight if you still want to play.

Matrix

Lonestar said:
GIRJGIOJ#@%)(

I thought we were playing a league game :( Waaa I tried my hardest.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I didn't chicken out CK, I just need a new TV, I've kicked mine into the swimming pool.

Ramirez

I'll pass for tonight news,Im having connection problems or something,I couldn't connect to Malley and me and FMT kept getting d/c from each other =\

I really don't like this game,but I'll tough it out for the season.Long bombs are WAAAAAY to frequently caught,my guys drop balls as much as last year,my QB fucking sucks at throwing a accurate pass,UCLA's RB is fucking ridiculous,I know this from the last time we played.The game just seems totally fucking random most of the time,can't wait for Madden -_-

newsguy

Ramirez said:
I'll pass for tonight news,Im having connection problems or something,I couldn't connect to Malley and me and FMT kept getting d/c from each other =\

I really don't like this game,but I'll tough it out for the season.Long bombs are WAAAAAY to frequently caught,my guys drop balls as much as last year,my QB fucking sucks at throwing a accurate pass,UCLA's RB is fucking ridiculous,I know this from the last time we played.The game just seems totally fucking random most of the time,can't wait for Madden -_-

No prob. Wellington, I'll be home at midnight eastern if you're still on.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Figured out my problems with XBL... Turns out my Xbox was BANNED. I will fight this with every breath in my body, my mod is actually legit. I fully intend to play my games, it just... may be a while.

Matrix

I hate this game.

crawfishpete and others who haven't played or posted: you guys have to keep in constant contact or at least sign onto AIM so people can contact you. it is good to "schedule" games, but it's not always practical. i'd say 95% of the games played are played spur of the moment "hey i see so and so online ill challenge him" kind of thing

if you aren't going to constantly be around and in the mix of things, you'll never get 17 games done in a timely fashion, and thus we'll have 15 players all waiting to play 1 guy. i have a couple replacements waiting so if you guys dont start playing at least a game or 2 in the next couple days im going to have to go with that.

remember: the goal is to have the league done before madden is released.

hgplayer1

I can play a game or two (if my connection holds up) if anyones around. msg me on AIM or send me an invite because Ill be playing GR2 campaign.

newsguy

GKNJSF:KBNZS D}_ow
e][

EDIT: that stands for: I suck monster donkey balls, not the regular ones, but the ones that have been mutated and are the size of a volleyball, sometimes even a basketball. I'm playing with UM and getting demolished. Good game DM, I'm no match for the shotgun only offense. :( I think I have heart palpitations in my second league game. If I don't reply anymore, it's not cause I'm a flake, it's cause I burst a blood vessel

http://www.49ers-age.com/games/ncaa.html

basics are up. i need you guys to do me a favor: if you notice any errors with your team (games played, points wrong, i gave you too many wins or losses) then let me know. i have the emails and try to be as accurate as possible, but i am only human and i can make mistakes from time to time :D

stats pages wont be up until at least sunday. there is quite a bit of info to enter -_-

i see a lot of people are having problems with things in NCAA. here are some tips from your pal FMT to help you be a successful NCAA player. DM please stop reading now. Thanks
--------

Q: I can't defend against the run. What is my problem?
A: First off, learn to use line stunts. For those who don't know a line stunt is accomplished as follows:

Before the play, hit the L trigger. Then, Hit down on the right stick (not the d-pad) to have your defensive line crash into the middle, hit up for them to spread (great against the pass and outside running, terrible against inside running), hit Left to have your D crash to the left, and right for them to crash to the right.

The Right/Left crash is an excellent tool to use against the Option play. If you guy right, you can not only PHYSICALLY shift your line (L trigger + D-pad in whatever direction you think they're running) AND do the line stunt (L trigger + Right stick in that direction) you can really blow up the option or outside pitch.

You must master the line stunts or you will not have success stopping the ground game. Sure, you can all-out blitz and stop the running game, but eventually your opponent is going to take you up top. Then you are in even worse shape.

Q: I can't defend the pass. Why?
A: Again, use the line stunts in conjunction with the correct play calls. If you are 100% sure someone is passing, stunt to one side or another, or even spread stunt. The danger in this is that if your opponent is running away from the stunt, or up the middle (in case of spread), you are going to get fucked.

Other than that, be aggressive with the WR's. Hey, I know it sounds like a bitch thing to do and i'm not saying flat out PI with someone, but if your opponent is going to chuck it up time and time and time again, tell him to get that shit out of here! I have been called for a few PI's the last couple games, but what would you rather have: a 15 yard penalty or a 50 yard TD? That's what I thought.

You don't HAVE to PI, but just play aggressive. Also, use the bump (Y + Down on the D-pad) to help you out. Be careful about bumping without deep safety help, because if you are caught 1 on 1 you'll be in trouble.

Also, DONT be scared to play zone! But, play within the scheme of that zone. If you are going to pick the linebacker, and your responsibility is to cover the middle, don't go drifting off somewhere else. Your team is expecting YOU to be in the middle of the field, so do your job and let the CPU AI do their job. Again zone can hurt you, but it can also cause confusion and get you some easy interceptions. There is a reluctance among a lot of people to call zone because they think the CPU doesn't know what it's doing or won't stay where it's supposed to. But the CPU AI does it's job pretty well. Try it out, see what you get.

One last thing: Just because a guy lines up in a 4-wide doesn't mean you have to go to Dime. I'm not saying line up in 4-4 Vs. a 5 wide set, but keep in mind that a lot of teams in this game RUN out of shotgun formations and 3/4-wide formations. You want strong LB's on the field if you think it's a run.

Q: I can't pass. What is my problem?
A: Are you passing deep every play? Why? You can move downfield without throwing 40 yard bombs every other play. Here are some of my favorite passing plays:

* Throwing to the half back in the flat. Hey, it sounds simple, but it can be deadly. If your opponent keeps blitzing the fuck out of you w/ linebackers, guess what? someone is open. Call a quick flats play and get it out to the rb, then let him do the work

* TE or WR quick out. You can audible to this (Y + Button of receiver + Left or right on the D-pad (depending on which side he's on)). When you throw to him, wait until the instance he starts to make his cut, the bullet the ball. The trick is to either lead him to the outside far enough w/o overthrowing him, or lead him to the inside a lot where the ball is guaranteed to get to him, but the D will be closer to him.

* Timing routes. The button hook/comeback is a great route to call. The trick, much like the out, is to actually press the button to pass before your receiver has finished his route. Anticipate when he will make his break back to the ball. If you get good at it, the ball will be to your receiver before the D can react.

* Screens! Run screens to catch the D off-guard! They work this year. RB screen, WR screen, TE screen, whatever it takes. Don't use it as a staple in your offense, but it can catch the D off guard and net you a nice chunk of yards.

* Playaction! Use the PA pass to your advantage. if you run run run run, then PA, someone is going to be open. be patient, and find your open man (whether its deep or otherwise). If you are worried your opponent is blitzing the shit out of you, keep your guys in to block on the PA. to do this, press Y + The button of a TE/FB + Black (blocks to the right) or White (blocks to the left) button. This will help pick up those blitzes and burn your opponent deep

Last thing i'll say about offense is be unpredictable. Try passing on 1st down, running on 3rd, running screens, draws, trick plays, etc. They may not always work, but you are planting the seed of indecision into your opponents mind.

Q: I can't run. Why?
A: depends. There are times when no matter what you do, you can't run. if your opponent is going to blitz 5 guys or something, make him pay with passinng to your RB in the flats, or go deep. Eventually he will stop, then you can run it up his ass. The key to running is using the turbo at the right time. dont take the handoff and jam on the A button. use the turbo effectively and efficiently

you should also run plenty of misdirection, counter, toss, counter toss, etc. plays. running HB dive up the middle can be effective, but throw your opponent off. it's about keeping him guessing

---------

if you guys have more questions please feel free to ask. in all seriousness even though i act cocky and talk shit i realize its all just a game of chance sometimes (just like in real life!) and in any given game someone can catch all the breaks they need to win. the above doesn't guarantee winning, but it will help you.

p.s. DONT TURN THE FUCKING BALL OVER! STOP PASSING 50 TIMES A GAME!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Thanks for the tips FMT... but I think I have you figured out now... I need to work on my One on One D.... trying to tackle someone with an itchy juke stick finger is a problem... HB 21 I am coming for you......!!!

Maverick

Thanks for the tips, FMT. I actually didn't know about some of those. I really think my problem is that I played so much Madden online last year (well over 100 games) that I can't get used to the momentum of NCAA.

Here's an example that has drastically effected my entire gameplan:

In Madden, when I was feeling that I couldn't get enough line protection to be patient, I could rely on reading the defense and throwing a quick out to my slot reciever (if the guy was blitzing that outside linebacker or playing a 4-3). However, in ncaa this year, it seems like even if he is open, 8/10 times, his momentum either takes him out of bounds, i overthrow him, or he drops the ball. It's so frustrating because it Madden if he was open, it was an easy catch and run for 8+ yards.

And I feel like my problem is that I just don't know how to throw the ball in NCAA. Is it different? I don't remember it being so difficult in 04, but then again, in 04 I ran 60% of the time. Do you just throw it or do you lead your recievers most of the time w/ the left stick?

I went 2/20 with Tyler Palko (90 ovr) in my game against malley. Granted, I was doing a lot of b.s. when i was getting blown out, but that's embarrassing for someone who's played Madden/NCAA for as long as I have.

Another thing that feels weird is swatting balls w/ DBs. It feels like there is a slight delay before I jump that throws my timing off bigtime.

Ramirez said:
BS...CP threw like 6 INTs and still managed to score off miracle bombs -_-

The game is trash!

To be fair some of those ints were fucking trash. I love how when you're hit while releasing the ball 90% of the time it magically flies straight into a db's hands. I've probably had 10+ ints like that in the 6 or so league games I've played.

And I think we should have setup home and away games, and kept HFA on. Now the higher ranked teams have an advantage in every single game no matter where they are playing. Turning HFA off only benefited these teams.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
http://www.49ers-age.com/games/ncaa.html

basics are up. i need you guys to do me a favor: if you notice any errors with your team (games played, points wrong, i gave you too many wins or losses) then let me know. i have the emails and try to be as accurate as possible, but i am only human and i can make mistakes from time to time :D

stats pages wont be up until at least sunday. there is quite a bit of info to enter -_-

I think you made a mistake with mine. I think I'm 2-4, not 3-3.

gstaff

Cerebral Palsy said:
To be fair some of those ints were fucking trash. I love how when you're hit while releasing the ball 90% of the time it magically flies straight into a db's hands. I've probably had 10+ ints like that in the 6 or so league games I've played.

And I think we should have setup home and away games, and kept HFA on. Now the higher ranked teams have an advantage in every single game no matter where they are playing. Turning HFA off only benefited these teams.

True, but at the same time, its just annoying and it makes the game even more BS. I consider myself an average player, but if I play at UF, there's no way I can win.

Ramirez

To be fair some of those ints were fucking trash.

Not really,everyone of them was a stupid pass,I threw some stupid INTs as well.Thats not my point,the point is,you had like 200 yards passing on like 9 completions due to all those bombs that got caught,I'm not ripping you,Im just ripping the game,because in almost every game I've played so far there has been so many deep bombs caught,regardless of the coverage.

They also fucked with the manual defense this year,usually when I try to take control and swat a ball down I get alligator arms and thus it's an easy catch,even when I time it right,it doesn't do the right animation.

This feels like a game from VC,not Tiburon -_-

Matrix

Ramirez said:
This feels like a game from VC,not Tiburon -_-

:lol Thats how I feel when I play the game :(

*konex runs off to buy the game after reading this news*

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm out of town until Friday but I will be available to play Friday night after 10 p.m. central until late night. Looking to get in multiple games so don't be shy to challenge me Friday night.

all i can say is it's no surprise that the people who have a huge problem w/ the game are the people who are losing. i'm not saying they aren't valid points, but howcome i can win/play defense with UCLA but some people can't win/play D with an A team or a top 10 team? it's not in the ratings i will tell you that much.

we can call garbage on a lot of stuff in this game, just like we called garbage in madden, and how we will call garbage in madden 06. but believe me when i say there is a right way to play the game and a way that will allow you to be successful, and if you're getting beat by double digits every game it's not "bad luck" or the CPU screwing you, it's your style. it sucks to lose by a point or 3 or a close game, and at that point you can say "well my guy dropped it on a crucial 4th down and i lost". but there is no excuse to lose by 30 points.

what i want everyone to remember are the following facts (i said this before long ago in a madden league):

* You are going to lose games
* You are going to lose games under questionable (in your opinion) circumstances
* You will feel as though you have been cheesed
* You will call bullshit on a lot of stuff
* You will say to yourself "i'm never playing this fucking game again" on a weekly basis after losing
* If you win, people will accuse you of being dirty
* If you win consistently, you must be abusing a cheat or money play
* You will be out of the playoff race at the midway point in the season, thus you will be playing for pride (and of course season 2 draft seeding!)
* Your opponents defenders play incredibly, but yours suck
* Your opponents WR's catch everything, while your WR's drop everything
* Your offensive line doesn't block
* Your defensive line gets no pressure
* You are being picked apart by a superior passing offense

and so on. if you are prepared to deal with the above and not flake on us, then welcome to the league, but honestly ladies, keep all of the above in mind before you commit to the league.

:D check and check ladies!

Lonestar

My O line isn't great, I have piss poor recievers, and my D, though decently rated, is hit and miss.

Glorious.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
all i can say is it's no surprise that the people who have a huge problem w/ the game are the people who are losing. i'm not saying they aren't valid points, but howcome i can win/play defense with UCLA but some people can't win/play D with an A team or a top 10 team? it's not in the ratings i will tell you that much.

we can call garbage on a lot of stuff in this game, just like we called garbage in madden, and how we will call garbage in madden 06. but believe me when i say there is a right way to play the game and a way that will allow you to be successful, and if you're getting beat by double digits every game it's not "bad luck" or the CPU screwing you, it's your style. it sucks to lose by a point or 3 or a close game, and at that point you can say "well my guy dropped it on a crucial 4th down and i lost". but there is no excuse to lose by 30 points.

5'8 190lbs RB...13 broken tackles.

Nuff said!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just had a pass go through my defender and get caught by their TE. What's up with that???? How poor can hit detection be? In the replay not only did the ball go through me, but one of my arms was through the TE's head. Straight through it.

Arcade insanity.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
your QB's... 5 picks thrown! :D

p.s. don't blame drew! he has been shut down by people in this league and i have given you all tips of a lifetime on how to shut him down!

Its not that I dont know how to play the run, its that I dont know how to not let a RB break tackles on me. You know most of your TDs that game came from when you broke 2-3 tackles in the backfield and then when no one was left you had a wide lane to the endzone!

Its not that I dont know how to play the run, its that I dont know how to not let a RB break tackles on me. You know most of your TDs that game came from when you broke 2-3 tackles in the backfield and then when no one was left you had a wide lane to the endzone!

well, if you think im going to break a tackle anyways, why play 5-2 or 4-4? the only thing that accomplishes is that when i do inevitably break the tackle, there is NO ONE deep to stop me from scoring a touchdown... except you, which i juke to oblivion :D

5-2/4-4/goalline isn't always the best D to stop the run

DMczaf

Try using UNLV, Its either EXTREME pass defense or EXTREME run defense to get any success. I cant play the middle like you guys with your B+ and above teams :)

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
well, if you think im going to break a tackle anyways, why play 5-2 or 4-4? the only thing that accomplishes is that when i do inevitably break the tackle, there is NO ONE deep to stop me from scoring a touchdown... except you, which i juke to oblivion :D

5-2/4-4/goalline isn't always the best D to stop the run

Dude I played you yesterday and I hardly played 5-2 or 4-4 and I couldnt stop your RB from breaking tackles,I think you had over 120+ yards just from breaking tackles up the middle.Defenders just dont have the speed to catch up to anyone once a couple of tackles are broken,but they do have the ability to intercept the football 90%,so they make up for it that way :|

:lol even the gamepro review mentions this and they know shit about games.I also noticed in their review for this game they also mention the kickoff and punt returns for tds being to easy.

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm not debating there is a broken tackle problem, but you guys have stopped better RB's than mine

I havent :lol Well maybe Lonestars back is better....he's the only one ive beat in this VC made game.

Lonestar

I plead the 5th. That game was an abomination. Nothing worked, though I did start passing way more than I should have.

Maverick

Choke.jpg

Jayhawk%20Choke%20Job3.jpg

Palko said after the game

pic_38402.jpg

"....Fuck."

Top Bottom