• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
jamesinclair said:
NBC will be repating the primetime segment in 10 minutes. Anyone remember how far in that part is?
It was one of the last events in the primetime segment. Probably around 2.5-3.5 hours in.

Joe

there's gotta be a site with the video of her falling. i keep hearing about it, and i wanna see it now.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
It wasn't that spectacular.
It's not like she was attempting a 360 or anything....she just did a board grab, landed on her edge, and fell. Even if she won though, I think it wouldn't looked stupid..and an unnecessary risk.

Anyway, Snowboard Cross is a stupid event. Entertaining? Yes. Brings in the fans? Yes. But keep that random crap in the x-games please.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
They're starting to show women's snowboard cross. However, it goes through several quarterfinal and semifinal heats before we get to the race in question. Btw, the move she pulled off (or tried to) was a method air.

Laguna X said:
They're starting to show women's snowboard cross. However, it goes through several quarterfinal and semifinal heats before we get to the race in question. Btw, the move she pulled off (or tried to) was a method air.

Thats what I just realised.

:(

Im exhausted. This betetr be online tommorow.

Laguna X said:
You don't have a VCR? Set it to record for the next hour or two.

Laptop + ATI USB Wonder 2.0

I could set it to record to my HDD, but I dont want to waste too much space.

Oh well.

Oh look brasilian chick

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
:lol that race rocked. People dying, flying off into trees and a OWNED gif in the making

The stabilize comment was hilarious. If she were trying to stabilize herself she'd done a simple board grab, as she did earlier in the course. That was just showing off, she even checks behind her before she does it to make sure there's enough distance between her and the rider in 2nd place so that if she gets that much air for the trick that no one could catch her. The interviewer let her off the hook quick "So..how'd you get that hole shot?". :lol

Nikashi

Banned
howdoiwonolympics.jpg

Pochacco

^hehe.

Btw, does anyone find the Biathlon event incredibly weird?

op_jan19_biathlon_0768.jpg

Cross country skiing + rifle shooting...wtf?!
I read up on it...and the history makes sense (stems from Norwegian soldiers competing against each other...), but still!

It's like combining long track speed skating with knife throwing....which would be FUCKING AWESOME.

I was watching some curling and asked myself: why isn't it mixed, like male and female together?

Do the men have heavier "stones" or what?

Pochacco

TerryLee81 said:
I was watching some curling and asked myself: why isn't it mixed, like male and female together?

Do the men have heavier "stones" or what?
I don't know if they have heavier stones (don't think so..), but the men can usually throw their stones with a lot more speed (under control of course) than the women. So, in a sense, power is a factor.

Peru

Pochacco said:
^hehe.

Btw, does anyone find the Biathlon event incredibly weird?

op_jan19_biathlon_0768.jpg

Cross country skiing + rifle shooting...wtf?!
I read up on it...and the history makes sense (stems from Norwegian soldiers competing against each other...), but still!

It's like combining long track speed skating with knife throwing....which would be FUCKING AWESOME.

I guess it's a pretty weird sport but in many European countries it's more or less the most popular winter sport so I've gotten too used to it to think about it. It does bring up nice races though, strategy plays a part since they have to balance power and stamina so they can calm down and stabilize on the shooting stand.

pestul

Some a-hole Alberta sports columnist dissed Brad Gushue before the Olympics.. basically because he was a young inexperienced Newf. If he gets to rub that in, I'll be extremely sad. Newfoundland is really pulling for that team. His last couple games don't really get any easier either. :/

calder

Shit, I had it on NBC, what happened to Wotherspoon? I mean, I was fully expecting another Olympic choke job from him so I won't be surprised or anything...

Thank you CBC, instead of having to watch hockey on UHD, I got see two more medals for the US in Men's speed skating (1,000 meters).

Gold -- Shani Davis
Silver -- Joey Cheek

Does Bryant Gumble know about Shani Davis?

distantmantra said:
Thank you CBC, instead of having to watch hockey on UHD, I got see two more medals for the US in Men's speed skating (1,000 meters).

Gold -- Shani Davis
Silver -- Joey Cheek

Does Bryant Gumble know about Shani Davis?

He probably does because NBC was ripping him a new hole a few days ago.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Battersea Power Station said:
That was the most pissed off gold medalist I've ever seen.

Dude, that was total bullshit. I don't care if you just found out somebody died, but on a smile for the camera. You won a gold medal at the biggest sports spectacle in the world (well, probably third biggest after the world cup and the superbowl). How about looking at the reporter for one? Douche.

EDIT: Even though Ohno is a rockstar personality in his own right, he's down to earth and kind. Bode Miller, learn a lesson.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Dude, that was total bullshit. I don't care if you just found out somebody died, but on a smile for the camera. You won a gold medal at the biggest sports spectacle in the world (well, probably third biggest after the world cup and the superbowl). How about looking at the reporter for one? Douche.

He did smile after awhile. But then again people have been giving him shit all week so he's probably still pissed about that.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Y2Kevbug11 said:
C'mon now, he's just working on his street cred. ;)

Pochacco

Y2Kevbug11 said:
You won a gold medal at the biggest sports spectacle in the world (well, probably third biggest after the world cup and the superbowl).
Only Americans give a shit about the Superbowl.

Y2Kev

Pochacco said:
Only Americans give a shit about the Superbowl.

Globally, the most watched TV sporting event of 2005 was the Super Bowl, with a live global cumulative audience of 93 million viewers, however 92% of these viewers were in the US, putting into question the notion of it being a “global event”.

How else would you judge the size of a sports spectacle if not by the amount of people who watch it? Yes, it's mainly Americans. That doesn't change its grandeur. I'm guessing in a WC year it wouldn't be #1.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10004396.shtml

Y2Kevbug11 said:
How else would you judge the size of a sports spectacle if not by the amount of people who watch it? Yes, it's mainly Americans. That doesn't change its grandeur. I'm guessing in a WC year it wouldn't be #1.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10004396.shtml

Superbowl is one game. Olympics and World Cup are spread out. So you might get more people watching overall. Not everybody is going to watch every game.

Y2Kev

OMG. I said it was a spectacle and it was a peripheral point. It could be the nine-hundredth largest sports spectacle and he still came off as a bitter scrooge.

Rlan

I heard a Canadian aerial skiier flew off the jump and lost his skis after he forgot to strap them on. Anyone got vids?

Also, a highlights clip of that Snowboarding bit would be awesome too! :lol

Piper Az

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11429930/

Here's a nice article about Shani Davis' and his gold medal win. People who have been bitching about him this week should stop whining. Chad Hedrick, in the period of a mere few days, has become a whining little self-centered athlete that I tend to hate. The fact is, Shani Davis was never on the list to skate the team pursuit. Hedrick, while putting up the team-first facade, probably is pissed because Davis' absent cost him (Hedrick) a gold medal. How ironic is that? It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if they had the dates of 1000 meter race switched with the 5000 meter 's; Hedrick probably would have bailed out saying "I can't risk anything before my best race". Shani Davis trained his life for the Olympic 1000 meter race (his specialty), and now he's a gold medalist. I don't see why he should be ripped for doing that.

Piper Az said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11429930/

Here's a nice article about Shani Davis' and his gold medal win. People who have been bitching about him this week should stop whining. Chad Hedrick, in the period of a mere few days, has become a whining little self-centered athlete that I tend to hate. The fact is, Shani Davis was never on the list to skate the team pursuit. Hedrick, while putting up the team-first facade, probably is pissed because Davis' absent cost him (Hedrick) a gold medal. How ironic is that? It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if they had the dates of 1000 meter race switched with the 5000 meter 's; Hedrick probably would have bailed out saying "I can't risk anything before my best race". Shani Davis trained his life for the Olympic 1000 meter race (his specialty), and now he's a gold medalist. I don't see why he should be ripped for doing that.

I think the argument is that he pulled his name off the list of people that'd participate in that event about 4 days before it took place (despite him never really being scheduled in it). He also released a statement that made him seem self centered. But all in all, he did what he came there to do. People can get pissed but he entered in the events that he trained for. That Chad guy though seems like a bitter asshole. They're suppose to meet in an upcoming race where Shani was the champion in either 2004 (or 2005) but Chad owns the world record in. Should be interesting.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Shani's interview was funny. He didn't say much. He just looked away from the camera when he talked. I want to see the race on Tuesday with Shani and Chad! Fuck the 10 hour delay, they need to broadcast this LIVE.
NBC did a story on Shani on how he trains in Canada and doesn't want to be part of the US National Team and he won the gold. Good for him!

Rlan

Timbuktu said:
Jacobellis was unbelievable, but I doubt you would see that kind of stunt in any other Olympic event.

Just a quick point on this. Not a stunt, but during the Sydney 2000 Olympics a bunch of American runnings started being complete douchebags once they won a race. Can't find the picture though.

madara

Hey, Shani was a complete tard when he won. Unless a really solid reason comes out about that it sounds like he is way too influenced by his mother. Skin color or not, I will not do reverse racism for him. I like to see all these comments that people claim make Chad an asshole. I've been watching coverage since started and he always smiled and went out of his way to do no comments when he clearly had reason to be abit upset.

madara said:
I like to see all these comments that people claim make Chad an asshole. I've been watching coverage since started and he always smiled and went out of his way to do no comments when he clearly had reason to be abit upset.

His reason for being upset is that Shani didn't participate in an event he never said he woudl be in. It's not his fault they can't get someone that's as good as he is to do that event. They were talking about an interview with last night where they asked him a question like "Are you happy for your fellow medalists?" and he said "I'm happy Joey (the silver medalist)", its like dude get the fuck over it already.

Piper Az

SolidSnakex said:
His reason for being upset is that Shani didn't participate in an event he never said he woudl be in. It's not his fault they can't get someone that's as good as he is to do that event. They were talking about an interview with last night where they asked him a question like "Are you happy for your fellow medalists?" and he said "I'm happy Joey (the silver medalist)", its like dude get the fuck over it already.
Yup. I agree whole heartily. This Chad Hedrick is no noble Olympian as NBC or whoever is making him out to be. He is a cry-baby who is verry bitter right now because Shani's absence in the team pursuit cost him a medal. Give me a break; behind all that smile, there's a huge-ass jerk. It's ridiculous how he just snubbed Shani out of any congratutory comment when he was interviewed about Shani's victory. "Hello? How old are you? Like 6?" Now, i want Shani to kick his ass in 1500 meters. Everyone (ESPN, MSNBC, other foreign speed skaters) is saying Shani was right, and his gold should be congratulated as well as celebrated due to the magnitude of his win (i.e. first black athelete to win a winter Olympics gold). Shani's explanation on his absence in the team pursuit was very rational, and I simply don't understand why this Chad Hedrick can't accept it (well, I do now - 'cause all he's a "team player". right...ugh).

Y2Kev

Piper Az said:
Yup. I agree whole heartily. This Chad Hedrick is no noble Olympian as NBC or whoever is making him out to be. He is a cry-baby who is verry bitter right now because Shani's absence in the team pursuit cost him a medal. Give me a break; behind all that smile, there's a huge-ass jerk. It's ridiculous how he just snubbed Shani out of any congratutory comment when he was interviewed about Shani's victory. "Hello? How old are you? Like 6?" Now, i want Shani to kick his ass in 1500 meters. Everyone (ESPN, MSNBC, other foreign speed skaters) is saying Shani was right, and his gold should be congratulated as well as celebrated due to the magnitude of his win (i.e. first black athelete to win a winter Olympics gold). Shani's explanation on his absence in the team pursuit was very rational, and I simply don't understand why this Chad Hedrick can't accept it (well, I do now - 'cause all he's a "team player". right...ugh).

Not true, Vonetta Flowers won a medal last Olympics. I think he's the first black male and first individual, but he certainly isn't the first black person to win one.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
SolidSnakex said:
Shani actually did go on the record in January as saying he'd race in that race though. That's why everyone was pissed... he changed his mind and just acted like he never said he'd do it to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom