• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okja |OT| An Seo Hyun, Swinton, Gyllenhaal - A film by Bong Joon Ho - Netflix 6/28

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I haven't eaten beef or pork in over 10 years.. after watching this movie im pretty content in keeping that lifestyle. The film basically sums up many reasons I stopped.
Feels like this movie is gonna turn some people into vegetarians.

kingkitty

It's probably my least favorite film of his. But it's still solid entertainment. The pig was cute.

And I would gladly eat a super pig if it was cheap and tasty. Just don't show me any vids of super pig meat factories.

RuhRo

What a stunning movie. Anyone who loves Ghibli or Classic Spielberg should see this immediately.

(Be prepared, it is a tonal roller coaster, Disney light one moment and disturbingly violent and sexual the next. Which is typical of his films and serves the story well here.)

Superflat

Can't wait to see this. Snowpiercer wasn't as strong as I hoped, but it was still a damn good movie.

My haphazard ranking of the films I've seen from him are:

Memories of Murder
The Host
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Mother
Snowpiercer

Curious to find out where Okja will end up on my list.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
First hour or so were delightful and hysterical in turns. I had no idea it would be so funny. Then yeah - guess what?
Buying your cheap, tasty, industrially processed meat supports what amounts to an ongoing and unsustainable animal holocaust! Depraved breeding, treatment and mass slaughter of many emotionally intelligent species! Thanks for the PSA.

What a stunning movie. Anyone who loves Ghibli or Classic Spielberg should see this immediately.

(Be prepared, it is a tonal roller coaster, Disney light one moment and disturbingly violent and sexual the next. Which is typical of his films and serves the story well here.)

"They need to taste fucking good!" followed by applause.

I loved the entire tone of that scene.

Oh dear god and the set.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Loved it..

Also this movie pretty much explains really well why I stopped eating meat a few years ago...

Cute and funny stuff

Dinda

Great Movie, rally enjoyed it.

Hope Netflix does more of these. Also ALF movie when? Also definitely have to check out other Lily Collins movies, i really liked her.

Edit: Hey, seems she has a new Netflix movie "To the Bone" with Keanu Reeves which is available in a few days....good good....

Arkeband

Banned
A few scenes, the CGI was really off, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

It's weird but all of the American actors seem to be WAY overacting in all of Bong's movies. It feels like he makes them redo their scenes and makes them re-enunciate their lines until he, a non-native speaker, can understand them, or something.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird but all of the American actors seem to be WAY overacting in all of Bong's movies. It feels like he makes them redo their scenes and makes them re-enunciate their lines until he, a non-native speaker, can understand them, or something.
While there was some wild acting going on at the front of the train in Snowpiercer, the people at the back of the car were relatively reigned-in. Similarly, the ALF crew were much more naturalistic in their performances than the corporate types here. It seems Bong has a thing for the grotesque villain now.

It definitely feels like the shift to English has changed his relationship to his characters though. He tends much more to broad satirical caricature. There's a distance from them, whereas in his Korean movies his weird fuckups were much more recognisably human. I wonder if targeting an international audience orients him towards addressing 'the big picture' politically.

kingocfs

Really wonderful stuff. I was going to attempt to rank all of his movies, but it's really difficult - they are all solid to absolutely great.

Yeah, Gyllenhaal just could not pull it off. Swinton fits right in as usual, though.

This also has one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Really wonderful stuff. I was going to attempt to rank all of his movies, but it's really difficult - they are all solid to absolutely great.

Yeah, Gyllenhaal just could not pull it off. Swinton fits right in as usual, though.

I like Gyllenhaal, but I'll agree.

Swinton seldom not delivers, so she is aces of course.

That shit was bad. When he was using his TV voice that was fine, but outside of that, that was bad. Why did this dude even walk into their business meeting? Nobody invited you.

With ALF
I thought it would've been better if Glenn said he lied just so that they didn't go all the way to Korea for nothing rather than because this was the coolest mission ever. It would've made a lot more sense to his commander, but his commander probably would've still beat him though. That dude look like he can't fight either. I thought it was weird he let him beat him. Glenn been fighting zombies, he got them hands.

Keym

A lot more people should watch this movie. The
tonal change
took me by surprise, really well done.

I think the scene where Mija pays for Okja's freedom was amazing since in a roundabout way,
her Grandpa really did use that money to buy her freedom. He just didn't know it. One of my favorite scenes

It was a 4.5 out of 5. Jake was doing some overacting and the scenes at times felt a little jittery, but the plot really did move from point to point really well. Did not feel like 2 hours.

Yeah but did Okja
give birth to it on the farm? What was the conntection between that particular baby and Okja thay it needed to leave with her?

Did you watch that scene? It's parents knocked into the hallway because they didn't want it to grow up and die at the slaughterhouse like the rest of them.

Really enjoyed the beginning.
Didn't really know how to feel about the ALF.
That whole scene with the animal wranglers beating up all the ALF members was unintentionally hilarious though. It was just out of left field. And when the Korean comes back to drive the van and he proves he's committed to the cause by getting the tattoo, "Translation is Sacred".

I think there were some nice ideas there, like the different philosophies of the ALF and how the company was appealing to the consumers base wants but it was all dropped to follow the one thread they followed which I found a missed opportunity.

mlclmtckr

Banned
So I haven't eaten any meat since I saw this. Not because I made some big decision or whatever but I just... haven't wanted to. It's a little weird.

Superflat

Watched it last night, and it's pretty much everything I wanted.

All of his films involve ordinary people getting into extraordinary/fantastical situations with larger than life characters, but everyone is constantly pushed down with the weight and circumstances of the real world. Okja is not an exception, despite the chirpy first act and overall whimsical tone.

I was surprised to find that all the human players on both sides of the conflict didn't resort to murdering each other. I was kind of expecting it considering Bong's films lately where people can get offed out of the blue. When ALF shows up I was thinking it would go the typical Hollywood route of not thinking of Mija's best interest and revealing themselves to be violent extremists who value animals over humans, but instead are true idealists to a somewhat absurd degree.

It was refreshing to see after Snowpiercer and Mother, which were soaked in mostly bleakness and loss that made you feel real the darkness of human character. Okja has its dark and incredibly sad moments, but I would say it's more similar in overall tone to the lighter Barking Dogs Never Bite, which is a predominantly a comedy film with other genres masterfully blended in.

harSon

Banned
I enjoyed it, as I do most of the director's films, but the movie's themes were unbearably heavy handed at times.

I really enjoyed this. Much moreso than Snowpiercer. It felt a lot like a Terry Gilliam movie. The terrorist group in particular was like straight out of 12 Monkeys.

Of the english cast I thought Paul Dano was the best. But it was nice to see Tilda Swinton and Steven Yeun get some substantial parts in here.

Jake Gylenhaal was freaking awful though, one of the most irritating performances I've seen. Huge misfire on that end, was happy he was barely in this considering what we got.

Reminded me of Babe: Pig in the City. It takes what looks like a cute family animal movie on the surface and ends up being some grim argument against the meat industry.

99Luffy

Banned
Terrible movie.

The slaughterhouse peta documentaries on youtube are more interesting and the vegan message isnt as forced.

philz

Simply terrible. Acting was directed to be terrible.
Okja's rape was completely unesessary and because of the millions of Okja's still being slaughtered the ending was totally unfulfilling

Alienfan

I just love Bong's movies, they're pretty much all flawed, but there's nothing else like them. Hopefully Netflix green lights more. Wasn't expecting that tonal change at all, movie was dark and didn't shy away from showing
the horrors of factory farming
. The whole thing felt like a live action studio ghibli film.

Oh yeah the cinematography and the few action scenes were crazy good.

Arkeband

Banned
Simply terrible. Acting was directed to be terrible.
Okja's rape was completely unesessary and because of the millions of Okja's still being slaughtered the ending was totally unfulfilling

What would the social commentary be if all the pigs lived happily ever after?

I enjoyed this, although it's probably my least favorite Bong Joon Ho film. It was whimsical and grim and a reminder that I need more Tilda Swinton in my life.

Nepenthe

Watched this last night with friends. Have no experience with the rest of the director's filmography, so I was quite shocked at the nuance of the moral conflicts within the film after such a whimsical opening, so much so that it spurred debate and discussion amongst us, mid-film! The penultimate scene
with the superpig slaughterhouse
was particularly moving and gives me a sort of ambiguous or hesitant feel to the ending of Mija and Okja's story. Was hoping the post credits scene would give a better ray of hope, but I suppose that would be out of line with the tone of most of the film.

After that, we watched Castlevania to shake off the sadness. xD

near

Gold Member
Finally got around to watching this and I loved every moment, It's a brilliant film. The story is well constructed and the pacing is really really good for a 2 hour film. The first half hour has minimal dialogue almost next to nothing but it really captures the relationship between Mija and Okja. The CGI is really good for what it's worth, Okja is absolutely convincing in it's existence, it's movement, expressions and connection with Mija are carefully crafted. This is Bong Joon Ho on form, and he's best film since Memories of Murder imo.

Barzul

Made my girl give up meat. Definitely made me question just how easy meat consumption in the West is in general. We're so far removed from the processing I barely give it an afterthought. This clashes with my upbringing in Nigeria where I often saw meat killed or I knew the butchers. Don't know if I'm giving up meat but damn, this was good. It makes me want to consume less of it in general.

It was kinda hammy and heavy handed (and Okja seemed too smart) but overall it was fun.

I honestly had no idea what the movie was before watching though and went in blind. Eating In n Out while watching was a mistake.

Wollan

This was very bleak as suspected. Some of the animal scenes towards the end are pretty strong. A bit weirdly whimsical as well which was so so but worth the watch.

Finally got round to watching this and as someone who has been a vegetarian for 16 years that had me in tears near the end.

first off the mating scene and then the tour through the slaughter house and eventual exit while saving the baby

Fuck.

Definitely reinforces my commitment and maybe the nudge I need to try going vegan again.

deleted

Gyllenhaal was fantastic! I really enjoyed how he played the character - he looked and had mannerisms like someone who couldn't let go of his TV personality.

It came across as comedic but somewhat believable at the same time. At least in the context of this movie.

Terrible movie.

The slaughterhouse peta documentaries on youtube are more interesting and the vegan message isnt as forced.

Well, it's not a vegan message. They eat fish in the beginning. And chicken.

Top Bottom