• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Besides, what's the point of watching the dub when it's so far behind? Why even give it a chance? Just to watch the whole thing all over again?

Besides, what's the point of watching the dub when it's so far behind? Why even give it a chance? Just to watch the whole thing all over again?
I get to hear it in my native language and yes I can watch it and enjoy the story over again this time with my family.

We are in 2017 there's no way ppl are still like this towards dubs come on now

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Me and my friends and family are all subtitle people

One Piece is one series that I think is waaaaaaaay too Japanese and weird to work in any other language. Like, other dubs - not preferable, but fine. OP... it just rubs me the wrong way.

NSESN

I get to hear it in my native language and yes I can watch it and enjoy the story over again this time with my family.

We are in 2017 there's no way ppl are still like this towards dubs come on now

BLeg I thought you had bad taste, but now I know the you can have great taste too.
A well don dub is better than subs. Fight me

But seriousy, I hate how japanese sounds, if the translation script is good and the VA are talented, dubs will win for me every time.

BLeg I thought you had bad taste, but now I know the you can have great taste too.
A well don dub is better than subs. Fight me

But seriousy, I hate how japanese sounds, if the translation script is good and the VA are talented, dubs will win for me every time.
A dig and a compliment In the same sentence I can jive with that lol

Cwarrior

I'm surprised that a film wasn't a part of the announcements so far.

Film gold only came out in 2016 since strong world movie production time have more then doubled at the request of oda they take now around 2-3 years to make so don't expect a new movie till 2019.

There doing a tv special instead (episode of east blue) with some of the key staff from the Film movie series.

Sato was the character designer & animation director of strong world/film z/gold his now taken that same role in the new east blue special.

Kenosuke uda is helping with story boarding his one piece first anime series director.

Takashi otsuka is the director of this special his mostly known for being an episode director for one piece, series director for smile precure and he does the precure cross over movie.

Just finished robins childhood (yeah I know I'm far behind but I still love the show) everything about that made me tear the fuck up. God I love one piece.

LotusHD

Banned

To reminisce over old episodes, yes. I never bothered to go out of my watch the dub, but I did enjoy when an episode would come on on Toonami.

Until Mashima starts up his new series and we all get drawn into that...

You'll get drawn into that. Ain't ever reading this dude's works again.

While watching/reading FT, I also briefly tried to get into Rave Master. I dunno if the manga is like superior or what not, but jfc, the anime is one of the corniest things I've ever watched; even FT was more watchable than that.

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Meh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've been reading FT intermittently for years, I never have any idea what's going on but I still do it

I usually care about spoilers in case I read it later, but not FT, lol

The anime has a really good OST.

LotusHD

Banned
All this bad ending talk I get scared for soma... One piece will be find they'd be foolish to screw oda over only one who can mess that up is him

Oda is the epitome of a dude where you just let him do his own thing lol

As for Soma, well, I'm waiting for the anime, but I hope it got better. When I stopped reading it, it went full battle manga... but with cooking.

To reminisce over old episodes, yes. I never bothered to go out of my watch the dub, but I did enjoy when an episode would come on on Toonami.

You'll get drawn into that. Ain't ever reading this dude's works again.

While watching/reading FT, I also briefly tried to get into Rave Master. I dunno if the manga is like superior or what not, but jfc, the anime is one of the corniest things I've ever watched; even FT was more watchable than that.

The anime is not well regarded, both for inherent pacing issues but also partly because it cuts off before the manga seriously got going

I mean, it's still corny as hell since it's Mashima's first major series, but it kinda grows as he grows with experience. Fairy Tail kinda has an inverse issue over time.

SolVanderlyn

Bleach is the worst example of quality drop I have ever seen in anything ever, it was utterly ridiculous. Hueco Mundo was lower tier but still somewhat enjoyable to a degree, but everything after was just... bad.

See this guy?

1252444-ukitakecomicct8.jpg

I wanted to see him fight for years. Years. When he finally did, I didn't even care about it anymore. The Fake Karakura Town arc didn't have the proper buildup to be good, even if it ended the (amazing) Aizen betrayal story started in Soul Society.

Bleach had one ok arc, one great arc, one sorta ok arc, and the rest was terrible. But that last arc? It was below even terrible. It even had a decent setup with the Quincies and the return to Soul Society, but nope, the writing was even worse than usual. It was basically Kubo's new character design book with a stringent story thrown in there somewhere.

The flashback arc was actually good though, Turn Back the Pendulum. I dunno what Kubo's story is - he either accidentally writes good things sometimes or gets lazy at other times. Great artist though!

Edit: Naruto was good for 80% of its run, and it was mostly the anime filler that soured people so much on Shippuden, so seeing the two lumped in together as series that "fell from grace" upsets me

Oda is the epitome of a dude where you just let him do his own thing lol

As for Soma, well, I'm waiting for the anime, but I hope it got better. When I stopped reading it, it went full battle manga... but with cooking.
It's been a battle manga from the start of soma entering the school lol. Can't deny that I'm sure it's better watched than read

Bleach had Soul Society arc at least. Damn, does FT even have anything...
First two arcs were actually really good imo. In fact I was cool with fairy tail until the tenjoru island arc

Ray Down

Banned
All this bad ending talk I get scared for soma... One piece will be find they'd be foolish to screw oda over only one who can mess that up is him

They won't OP is too big, it never had the ranking and overall popularity drop compared to Bleach or Toriko.

Bleach is the worst example of quality drop I have ever seen in anything ever, it was utterly ridiculous. Hueco Mundo was lower tier but still somewhat enjoyable to a degree, but everything after was just... bad.

See this guy?

1252444-ukitakecomicct8.jpg

I wanted to see him fight for years. Years. When he finally did, I didn't even care about it anymore. The Fake Karakura Town arc didn't have the proper buildup to be good, even if it ended the (amazing) Aizen betrayal story started in Soul Society.

Bleach had one ok arc, one great arc, one sorta ok arc, and the rest was terrible. But that last arc? It was below even terrible. It even had a decent setup with the Quincies and the return to Soul Society, but nope, the writing was even worse than usual. It was basically Kubo's new character design book with a stringent story thrown in there somewhere.

The flashback arc was actually good though, Turn Back the Pendulum. I dunno what Kubo's story is - he either accidentally writes good things sometimes or gets lazy at other times. Great artist though!

Bleach drop in quality just shows you can't just draw cool shit and people will like it, espically when the earlier arcs show the author had more passion for his story or just knew more how to make a compelling arcs.

Bleach had Soul Society arc at least. Damn, does FT even have anything...

It has FRIENDSHIP!

NSESN

I am worried about soma too. OP I am not. Oda prepared well enough. He even prepared Luffy's Army/Fleet way before the final arc with Dressrosa so it won't fall in the same trap as Naruto.
MHA is too early to tell, but it is not giving the same vibe as Soma is giving now or Naruto gave after some time.

LotusHD

Banned
It's been a battle manga from the start of soma entering the school lol. Can't deny that I'm sure it's better watched than read

First two arcs were actually really good imo. In fact I was cool with fairy tail until the tenjoru island arc

Okay, but what are those two arcs called B-Leg!

I meant more like, what is FT's first defining arc, if any, the one arc that people talk about when they bring up the series. Bleach had Soul Society, One Piece has plenty like Arlong, Water 7/Enies Lobby, Marineford, Naruto has the Chunin Exams, Hunter X Hunter has stuff like Yorknew and the Chimera Ant arc, YYH with the Dark Tournament arc, etc.

Meanwhile in hindsight, I'm realizing that I don't believe any of FT's arcs got anywhere that kind of acclaim, where it was always ok at best, but never genuinely showed promise like Bleach did at least. Then again, it's been shit for a lot longer, so it could also be that people just don't care enough to talk about it.

It has FRIENDSHIP!

Meh.

Me and my friends and family are all subtitle people

One Piece is one series that I think is waaaaaaaay too Japanese and weird to work in any other language. Like, other dubs - not preferable, but fine. OP... it just rubs me the wrong way.

One Piece is no Gintama. A majority of OP gags translate well into English.
The script writers at Funimation are clever enough to make it pass through the language barrier and still be funny.

Funi started dubbing at Skypiea and then went back to Season 1 and onward, which made the VAs more accustomed to the characters so there's no weird period of characters sounding off in the earlier episodes.

SolVanderlyn

It's really hard to keep up with the same world/characters for so long, as a creator. Usually the author suffers burnout to some degree. Look at Berserk - massive change in tone, hiatuses all the time. Hunter x Hunter - same. Fairy Tail just throwing whatever shonen tropes in there and not even bothering to wrap them up in a real story. Naruto, while still telling a relatively cohesive story, has its flaws from a long run time as well, falling back on ideas established early on in the series and over-relying on them (Sasuke turns evil, Naruto brings him back).

Oda really loves One Piece. He loves the world he's made. He set out to make his own Dragon Ball, and he succeeded. He may be burning out mentally and physically, but his heart is still in it. It's one series I'm not worried about at all.

One Piece is no Gintama. A majority of OP gags translate well into English.
The script writers at Funimation are clever enough to make it pass through the language barrier and still be funny.

Funi started dubbing at Skypiea and then went back to Season 1 and onward, which made the VAs more accustomed to the characters so there's no weird period of characters sounding off in the earlier episodes.
I still think the brand of humor, weird laughter noises, and general atmosphere sounds way too bizarre in English. I understand Japanese pretty well too, so it's not because I can't understand it that it sounds better. I don't know what it is about OP that makes me feel this way. Even Rurouni Kenshin sounded alright in English to me.

SolVanderlyn

I just wanna know what One Piece is man. It's the OG version of "What's in the basement" for Attack on Titan.
There was a really cool theory I read ages ago on Arlong Park, lemme see if I can find it. I think it'd still hold up with what we know, maybe even more so now.

I think this was it

I still think the brand of humor, weird laughter noises, and general atmosphere sounds way too bizarre in English. I understand Japanese pretty well too, so it's not because I can't understand it that it sounds better. I don't know what it is about OP that makes me feel this way. Even Rurouni Kenshin sounded alright in English to me.

Almost anything you're accustomed to hearing in one language will always sound bizarre in another.

If it was reversed, it'd be the same story.

Here I thought Bishop would disapprove of this talk, when he or she posted.

Only when the discussion is about the newest anime episodes.
Speaking of which, the other thread has been deader than dead for a while.

And you can refer to me as he/him.

SolVanderlyn

Almost anything you're accustomed to hearing in one language will always sound bizarre in another.

If it was reversed, it'd be the same story.
Not 100% true, I clicked with the JP voices in Dragon Ball right away, sans Goku. Tales of the Abyss is a game that had a very nice dub too, to the point where it sounded natural in English after playing it in Japanese

Ray Down

Banned
Oda really loves One Piece. He loves the world he's made. He set out to make his own Dragon Ball, and he succeeded. He may be burning out mentally and physically, but his heart is still in it. It's one series I'm not worried about at all.
He set out to make his own thing, Oda said if he tried to make OP like Dragon Ball, he would just fail.

Oda: It's one thing to talk about it, but I'm sure it must have been difficult to actually do. I mean, I had a hard enough time trying to keep ONE PIECE different from Dragon Ball.

Kishimoto: Right.

Oda: Dragon Ball made such a deep impression on everyone; I think fans could still remember it five years after it ended. And it was certainly one of my favorites, too. I would never have stood a chance against it. So I had to come up with something different.

Kishimoto: I hear that.

Oda: That's why I really tried to emphasize the adventure element for readers, rather than the fight scenes. But I think Kishimoto had it harder. He had to avoid both Dragon Ball and ONE PIECE.

Kishimoto: It was a trial - and - error process, for sure. Oda was writing a story of high adventure, so I had to stay away from that. That's why I had Naruto come back to the village every time he left on a mission. Also, Luffy gradually enlists a lot of friends in ONE PIECE, so I thought Naruto should have his companions around from the beginning. That way I hoped the manga would already seem different from the moment it came out.

Oda: That reminds me of the one time I had to avoid something from Naruto. Sanji's name was originally supposed to be "Naruto". But the instant your manga came out, I knew it was going to be running a long time, so I changed his name at the last moment.

Kishimoto: What stage did that happen? Had you already come up with his crazy eyebrows?

Oda: Sure. I mean, he has those spiral eyebrows, right? That's why I wanted to call him "Naruto" (after the spiral pattern in the Japanese of the same name). He was like that ever since my first character sketches. So I'm glad that you started Naruto before I introduced Sanji. Otherwise, that would have left you in a predicament.

Kishimoto: It might have.

Oda: I mean, what would you have done if Sanji had appeared as "Naruto"?

Kishimoto: I probably would have changed it.

Oda: Even though he's the main character?[laughter]

Kishimoto: I would have called him (some other ramen-related word like) "Menma" or "Shinachiku".[laughter] But then I would have had to rethink the symbol.

Top Bottom