• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 announced for North America, coming to PS3, Vita, PS4, PC

Preordered yesterday. Hope this is good. I've heard it's better than Hyrule Warriors, and my wife and I loved that.

Pirate Warriors is the best musou series over-all, of the ones I've played (PW, HW, DW and SB). PW2 lacked game modes, but the characters are amazing, the controls are spot-on and the movesets are varied and really fun.

Got high hopes for PW3. It's the second and final game that I'm paying full price for this year.

Majukun

damn..on one hand i love onepiece and so i want this game...on the other hand i know I'm not really a fan of the genre and it will probably not be that good of the game in the end :/

chrono01

I just found out about the Gamestop/EBGames exclusive bonus items. I pre-ordered a copy there, despite having a cheaper copy on pre-order from Amazon.ca [which I'm going to cancel].

Sometimes being a fan is hard, I need that steelbook! I just hope it's not too late, the website was still mentioning it...

NZerker12

I'll just say this having played the Japanese version, it is the best musou game Koei have released. The game for me anyway is a big step up from PW2 in every way.

Dragun619

Preorder Bonus for Gamestop is a metal case
CFZbm_gWgAEL8lm.jpg:large

Man, I'm glad I saw this earlier today, I was just gonna pre order on amazon. Generally prefer not shop at Gamestop unless I got to, and today, they got me, with that dope steel case cover.

The steelbook has a nice backside too (this image is from a Swedish retailers website):

OPPW3steel.jpg

As a Swede, I need to chose between the costumes and the steelbook :/ Can't get both. Going for the steelbook.

NZerker12

Can you elaborate a bit?

It is kind of hard to explain without spoiling some mechanics and character abilities but I will try. First there are twice as many enemies on screen compared to PW2, don't be surprised to find that you got 1000 kills in the first couple minutes. The movesets for the new characters are some of the best in the series and you can definetly see the effort and interesting experiments they have put into these characters. Rob Lucci for example has a unique attack that allows him to change forms whenever you wish, this basically gives him 2 extra combo strings compared to other characters as his SSSSS and TTT combo strings differ between his human and leopard forms. It also allows him cancel any move he is performing which allows you to perform extended combos.

The level design in this game is far superior to what you find in PW2 as the areas are now large detailed maps with many details from the anime. I will say for me personally that Dressrosa is the best designed level in the game.

Finally the gmae modes are similar two the last game where you have Story Mode, Free Mode and online.However, this game has Dream log which is similar to adventure mode from HW where you can go to different islands and fight other characters to unlock them as well as unlock additional costumes. When you finish Dream log you will unlock Nightmare Log which is harder version of drema log and when I mean hard it is hard. For instnace it is a lot harder than Super Hard in Story and Free modes. All enemies attack ruthlesly including grunts, so be prepared to knocked out of your attacks because of grunts attacking you.

That is pretty much it without spoiling too much.

Jaroof

It is kind of hard to explain without spoiling some mechanics and character abilities but I will try. First there are twice as many enemies on screen compared to PW2, don't be surprised to find that you got 1000 kills in the first couple minutes. The movesets for the new characters are some of the best in the series and you can definetly see the effort and interesting experiments they have put into these characters. Rob Lucci for example has a unique attack that allows him to change forms whenever you wish, this basically gives him 2 extra combo strings compared to other characters as his SSSSS and TTT combo strings differ between his human and leopard forms. It also allows him cancel anymove mov ehe has performing which allows you to perform extended combos.

The level design in this game is far superior to what you find in PW2 as the areas are now large detailed maps with many details from the anime. I will say for me personally that Dressrosa is the best designed level in the game.

Finally the gmae modes are similar two the last game where you have Story Mode, Free Mode and online.However, this game has Dream log which is similar to adventure mode from HW where you can go to different islands and fight other characters to unlock them as well as unlock additional costumes. When you finish Dream log you will unlock Nightmare Log which is harder version of drema log and when I mean hard it is hard. For instnace it is a lot harder than Super Hard in Story and Free modes. All enemies attack ruthlesly including grunts, so be prepared to knocked out of your attacks because of grunts attacking you.

So. Hyped.
Been waiting too long for this game.

Shame this wasn't out now or a few weeks ago. With Until Dawn and then MGS a week later, I know I'm not going to be able to dedicate the time with all of them, where as the summer has been so dry for releases, this would have filled it nicely.

Nightbird

It is kind of hard to explain without spoiling some mechanics and character abilities but I will try. First there are twice as many enemies on screen compared to PW2, don't be surprised to find that you got 1000 kills in the first couple minutes. The movesets for the new characters are some of the best in the series and you can definetly see the effort and interesting experiments they have put into these characters. Rob Lucci for example has a unique attack that allows him to change forms whenever you wish, this basically gives him 2 extra combo strings compared to other characters as his SSSSS and TTT combo strings differ between his human and leopard forms. It also allows him cancel any move he is performing which allows you to perform extended combos.

Okay, i was planning, on not buying it, but this sounds like a shitton of Content.

I will pre-order today

damn..on one hand i love onepiece and so i want this game...on the other hand i know I'm not really a fan of the genre and it will probably not be that good of the game in the end :/

If you love One Piece you will find lots to love here. I wasn't keen on Musou games and having One Piece attached just makes it great and enjoyable. But the game itself is good regardless, not just because of One Piece's attachment, but it certainly makes it for me.

Shame this wasn't out now or a few weeks ago. With Until Dawn and then MGS a week later, I know I'm not going to be able to dedicate the time with all of them, where as the summer has been so dry for releases, this would have filled it nicely.

Biggest issue with the release date imo is not that it's close to other releases, but that it comes out right when everyone is back to work and/or school.

impact

Banned
I'd suggest waiting on that PC port guys. Tecmo has a really terrible history with PC ports and it's more likely than not that this game will be a shit port.

Don't think so, no. I was thinking of claiming it a long, long time ago, but the OT for PW2 only got three pages of posts, so making an OT for PW3 just felt like too much effort for me ;b

Yeah, this one'll be buried by the MGS one in a matter of days, but I'd might as well. It'll be fun to work on.

How's the Japanese version run in split screen? Gf and I are on a huge One Piece kick and it would be great to play this together!

NZerker12

How's the Japanese version run in split screen? Gf and I are on a huge One Piece kick and it would be great to play this together!

The game runs split screen horizontally and performance seemed fine you will get a few dips but otherwise it is quite smooth. Another thing to note is that when performing special moves or using kizuna rush there will be no camera cuts and angles, you also share the kizuna meter which means you need to tell the other person your using it so they can too.

Thanks for the reply man. I guess I'll decide between ps4 or PC based on the port. Just got a new laptop and have a decent gaming PC so that could be ideal... If the port is up to par!

Has there been any new word about online mode for PC yet? There was a post on the steam discussion from NamcoBandai saying no online for PC about a month ago.

KyleCross

Damn, wouldn't mind a steelbook... but it isn't worth $12, which is how much I'd save with GCU at Best Buy. I hadn't planned on preordering the game anyways, instead getting it later because I have the first two backlogged AND I need to get caught up in the series.

OP was my #1 passion in life until I started working in 2009, I started seriously dropping off from that point, catching up in chunks since. I just started Punk Hazard.

Few more days.
I can't wait. Anyone else as hyped to play this as I am?

Better believe it! Been anticipating the game for such a long time, unfortunately perhaps so much so that a little bit off the hype as worn off already, but nonetheless I'm really excited to play it. I LOVE the PW series.

My avatar should be proof enough though ;b Nobody can beat that!

Will this game have full online campaign co-op?

If it's like the last one and every other online musou/warriors game, you won't be able to play a stage together until you beat it yourself. (Freeplay). So in a sense, sort of? You'll have to set up a new game each and every time though...sorta sucks.

Though I do hope I'm wrong and it bucks the trend.

Few more days.
I can't wait. Anyone else as hyped to play this as I am?

This is actually my first foray into the games, I only got into One Piece last year and by the time I was all caught up, this game was announced. Probably should have went through PW2 first, but I need that playable Doffy.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is actually my first foray into the games, I only got into One Piece last year and by the time I was all caught up, this game was announced. Probably should have went through PW2 first, but I need that playable Doffy.

You'll be fine-- Pirate Warriors 2 has an original story but PW3 follows the OP story from the beginning until the current arc. I'd get PW2 if you want more after finishing this game.

OmegaFax

Is there cross-platform play between versions? For instance, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends allowed Vita and PS4 play with each other online.

Top Bottom