• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition Announced (PC/XB1)

Besides the new areas, all of those "added features" sound like they should just be patched in. I'll be really disappointed if I have to pay money for things I was expecting to get in a patch. Another case where the day one buyer is potentially screwed over, except day one wasn't even long ago.

Mozendo

Guess this is one of the times where my backlog prevented me buying a game turned out to be a good thing. Can't wait to play the definitive version.

Kolx

This Win10 exclusive shit needs to die. If someone bought the game on Win7 why should he not get the same support as well? I don't want to be forced to upgrade to Win10 so I can buy the DLC for a game that I bought on Win7!

This Win10 exclusive shit needs to die. If someone bought the game on Win7 why should he not get the same support as well? I don't want to be forced to upgrade to Win10 so I can buy the DLC for a game that I bought on Win7!

It's on Steam too, so maybe Win10 isn't required.

kadotsu

Banned
If I can buy this as DLC I'll gladly do it. If you try to gouge me by giving me the same shit twice I'll never buy a product from you again.

Hey Thomas, has Moon grown at all since Ori's success? I'm looking forward to more Ori (probably my goty) but at the same time I was hoping to see what you guys would tackle next.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey Thomas, has Moon grown at all since Ori's success? I'm looking forward to more Ori (probably my goty) but at the same time I was hoping to see what you guys would tackle next.

They are definitely working on other projects, Thomas has said so himself.

ArjanN

I'm all for this as long as it doesn't mean I have to buy the entire game again.

More like no more missable collectibles hype.

NG+ is kind of whatever for me, maybe if you're doing a NG+ speedrun or something, but the upgrades would completely trivialize most of the game.

Yeah, there better be some sort of discount for people who already own it, or buying it as DLC addon

Guys, I can't officially say anything about this yet (and I'll probably get into a bit of trouble over posting this now...), but... I would not be happy if people who got the original game and supported us would get a bad deal here. The idea is that this should become the version that's as perfect as we can possibly make it after we listened to everything you guys had to say. Yes, everything. Yes, we watched all your Youtube videos and read all the reviews and we know about all the things you guys want. You were there for us and now we're there for you and want to give you the absolute best thing we can possibly make :)

see5harp

Guys, I can't officially say anything about this yet (and I'll probably get into a bit of trouble over posting this now...), but... I would not be happy if people who got the original game and supported us would get a bad deal here. The idea is that this should become the version that's as perfect as we can possibly make it after we listened to everything you guys had to say. Yes, everything. Yes, we watched all your Youtube videos and read all the reviews and we know about all the things you guys want. You were there for us and now we're there for you and want to give you the absolute best thing we can possibly make :)

Being so active with this community is pretty stellar. This is why I got so defensive over the outrage before we even have details. Thanks.

RoKKeR

Wow, awesome. Congrats to Thomas and the team! Ori is still my favorite game of the year so I am pumped we are getting more.

Definitely a good sign that it is performed well, too.

I own OatBF on Steam and would happily buy the Definitive Version at full price again. Such a gorgeous game.

Thanks for the response. You rock.

puebla

Awesome, hope you guys are working on a sequel after this. :p

It's not Windows 10 exclusive.

STEAM is getitng this expansion also, check the second post or watch the Xbox daily interview.

When developers say Windows 10 version is coming that means that it will be in the Windows store. The STEAM version shouldn't matter what OS you are using.

At least thats what I gather from it

graywolf323

they better have a discount for original owners or be a free upgrade

having a definitive edition on the same console not even a year later leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, studios need the freedom to try something different and explore their creativity (i.e. I had no interest in Killzone, but Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my most anticipated games).

On the other hand, I don't like it when studios make a huge departure from their previous successes and fall short of the same quality.

One example I can give is with Behemoth's Castle Crashers. I used to be invested in the Newgrounds community, so I was a big fan of the Flash style and i had the opportunity to see Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers come to life. The latter was a great beat-em-up party game that I got many hours of enjoyment out of. I also followed Behemoth's next project Battleblock Theater, which is more of an intimate platformer, and I eventually got to try the demo. It barely held my interest for 5 minutes despite having the same charm and attention to detail that they were known for.

I'm worried that Moon might end up like that. Ori is one of my favorite games and I wanted either a massive sequel or a studio that could deliver games like it consistently. I know Moon has experimented with other stuff like Warsoup, but I think they do platformers better than almost everyone else and would like them to continue.

Nevertheless, I didn't expect to be seeing more Ori this soon, so it might make me content while they go work on something else. After all, there are some games I love that don't always make good sequels...

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg

Ty 2 and 3 were fun for a while, but they completely missed the bar set by the first.

GennadiyKorol

Neo Member
We are very excited reading your guys's comments, we think you won't be disappointed!

Something that we would like to clarify early on - if you already own Ori you will have a very comfortalbe upgrade path to the Definitive Edition.

We are working really hard to make sure DE is the version of Ori everyone will want to play this holiday!

So good to see the positive responses! I promise we'll work insanely hard to make you guys happy. People who already own Ori or are buying it now shouldn't worry, this'll be a good deal for you in the end, especially if you liked Ori and would like to play more of it :)

And don't worry about us going bonkers - we know what we're good at and we know what we're not good at. We'll focus on the stuff we're good at and we'll never ever just throw some shit out there, we'll always make sure you guys get the absolute best value. We're in this for the long run, the fan-response to Ori was amazing (we get super inspiring and touching mail from you guys on a daily basis, still...) and the DE is our way of saying: "Hey, we heard you, we want to give you guys exactly what you want!"

So anyway, I'm super happy about where the DE is heading, it's a lot of fanservice and hell yeah, some of the stuff that you guys asked for did cost us quite a bit of resources (and braincells), but I think in the end it's worth it and 10 - 15 years from now, when people try Ori again, I want them to play the absolute best version we could make at the time :)

And now Gennadiy and I will have some Koelsch, cause we're still at Gamescom. Prost! :)

"Thanks for testing our game, if you want the patch we made based on your feedback, buy the real version of the game"

Yeah, no thanks.

Why not just improve your current (5 months old) product instead?

So happy with this news. Ori has been one of my favorite games of the year. Beat it twice in two weeks (once to just play, the other to get all power ups/health/power orbs).

We are very excited reading your guys's comments, we think you won't be disappointed!

Something that we would like to clarify early on - if you already own Ori you will have a very comfortalbe upgrade path to the Definitive Edition.

We are working really hard to make sure DE is the version of Ori everyone will want to play this holiday!
So good to see the positive responses! I promise we'll work insanely hard to make you guys happy. People who already own Ori or are buying it now shouldn't worry, this'll be a good deal for you in the end, especially if you liked Ori and would like to play more of it :)

And don't worry about us going bonkers - we know what we're good at and we know what we're not good at. We'll focus on the stuff we're good at and we'll never ever just throw some shit out there, we'll always make sure you guys get the absolute best value. We're in this for the long run, the fan-response to Ori was amazing (we get super inspiring and touching mail from you guys on a daily basis, still...) and the DE is our way of saying: "Hey, we heard you, we want to give you guys exactly what you want!"

So anyway, I'm super happy about where the DE is heading, it's a lot of fanservice and hell yeah, some of the stuff that you guys asked for did cost us quite a bit of resources (and braincells), but I think in the end it's worth it and 10 - 15 years from now, when people try Ori again, I want them to play the absolute best version we could make at the time :)

And now Gennadiy and I will have some Koelsch, cause we're still at Gamescom. Prost! :)

This is great to hear. Although I actually would probably double dip since I thought the game was that good (and it was already a pretty much a steal at the price I got it, I feel). I can't wait to see what stuff you guys added.

"Thanks for testing our game, if you want the patch we made based on your feedback, buy the real version of the game"

Yeah, no thanks.

The patch probably couldn't be applied directly to the previous game, so players will be picking up a copy with the modified changes and new content, which is essentially DLC.

For a game as good as Ori whose only major drawbacks are likely to be fixed with this, I think it's worth it.

I'm guessing a $5-$10 upgrade for existing owners (plus goodies maybe), with the full edition going for $20 again.

I still feel incredibly guilty about not having played more than 30 minutes of Ori yet despite buying it at launch. First I was waiting a couple months for a patch to make sure I wouldn't hit a save issue but since then I haven't had the time to dedicate to the game. Feel like Ori would be a perfect weekend game to play with no large breaks.

I wonder if I should just wait for the DE at this point?

The patch probably couldn't be applied directly to the previous game, so players will be picking up a copy with the modified changes and new content, which is essentially DLC.

For a game as good as Ori whose only major drawbacks are likely to be fixed with this, I think it's worth it.

I'm guessing a $5-$10 upgrade for existing owners (plus goodies maybe), with the full edition going for $20 again.

I'd be perfectly happy with that considering this is basically DLC (like you mention). Ori is good enough that I'd pay $20 for extra content - I've had more fun with the $20 I spent on Ori than most games that I spent $60 or even $30 on - but I'd be very pleased with that upgrade path.

Yeah, no thanks.

I understand that it's possible to be cynical at first, but trust me, we're putting in a lot more content, more areas, more abilities, more story, more art, better balance, etc. etc. - We have the entirety of Moon Studios working on the DE just to deliver the absolute best experience we could possibly make for you guys. This isn't about small bugs and fixes, it goes far beyond that and we definitely think that old and new Ori fans alike will be happy about the results :)

I understand that it's possible to be cynical at first, but trust me, we're putting in a lot more content, more areas, more abilities, more story, more art, better balance, etc. etc. - We have the entirety of Moon Studios working on the DE just to deliver the absolute best experience we could possibly make for you guys. This isn't about small bugs and fixes, it goes far beyond that and we definitely think that old and new Ori fans alike will be happy about the results :)

Considering this game narrowly edges out Witcher 3 for my game of the year so far I say bring on the content!

I highly doubt they would charge up to $10 for a slight upgrade when $10 is 50% of the cost for the main game. I expect the upgrade dlc to be free for people who already purchased the game and for the new version of the game to stay at $20.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That's surprising - and I haven't played it yet so I hope there's a differentiation for me to be able to play the original as it was first.

Top Bottom